PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Cop Pawned Issued Radio and Body Armor to Pay for Crack Cocaine

SeanTX
08-31-2013, 09:15 AM
This should be good for at least two months of paid leave during rehab -- the other story is about a dog that was shot by Memphis PD and left to suffer for over an hour before it died.

http://www.wmctv.com/story/23303292/mpd-officer-to-remain-in-custody-for-having-work-issued-pistol-while-using-crack-cocaine

(WMC-TV) - Memphis police officer James Erwin appeared before a judge Friday. He is charged with smoking crack while in possession of a service weapon.

A judge ordered Erwin, 39, to stay in custody of the United States Marshals Service following the detention hearing.

Erwin took the stand testifying that he had been using drugs for four or five months, and that he had already spent 30 days in rehab this past June.

An ATF agent said Erwin pawned his MPD issued bullet proof vest, police radio and uniform as collateral for drug money. It was for money he owed felons who said they had been selling to him for six to 12 years. One said he sold to Erwin 72 times a year.

Erwin cried on the stand when asked to discuss his accolades with MPD. He said he was named "officer of the month" five times at the Airways precinct. He said caught murderers and drug dealers and got guns off the street.

And .. an MPD dog shooting bonus from the same page:

http://www.wmctv.com/story/23304687/neighbor-mpd-officer-shot-dog-let-it-suffer-and-bleed-to-death

(WMC-TV) - A vicious dog was shot by police and left to suffer. While the dog was aggressive, neighbors are outraged at the officer's actions.

The entire street watched the dog suffer and bleed to death in the driveway. Neighbors say the dog roamed Hale Avenue.

Eric Swartz says he called Memphis Animal Shelter.

"The shelter said that it wouldn't be able to get out or that they didn't know when they could come out to try to restrain the animal," he said.

Swartz waited with no response. As a nearby school's dismissal neared, he called police.

The responding officer shot the dog in the neck, but it did not die right away. The whole neighborhood witnessed it suffering.

"It probably took it about an hour and a half to die," said Swartz. "The dog laid in the drive and suffered ... You know, it was pretty upsetting that they couldn't just put the dog out of its misery."

SNIP

Swartz says he knows the dog was a threat. And while he did not witness the shooting, he says he is not sure shooting it was necessary.

"It never lunged at me," he said. "If I was able to chase the dog off, the officer might've been able to as well."

SNIP

tod evans
08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
I'd rather read about a cop shot in the neck and left to suffer while a cracked-up dog was remanded into the marshal's custody...

But nobody asked me.

Keith and stuff
08-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Sounds like the Memphis I know.