PDA

View Full Version : Over time, I've learned to take the "studs in the wall" approach...

RCA
08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
How many times have you repeatedly attempted to win someone over but have failed? I spent the better part of 2007-2008 trying to win over my family. To this day they still haven't awoken. For the sake of using our time most wisely, I say the "studs in the wall" approach is the most effective. In other words, beat on the wall a few times, if it feels hallow, move on to another wall. This approach understands that a lot of people will just never wake up.

phill4paul
08-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Most will not wake up until they are beaten with a 2X4 stud. And even then will remain compliant. Change those that you can and let the others go. It's not personal and doesn't reflect badly on your ability to enlighten if they are idiots.

AuH20
08-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Acknowledgement means changing your life. Too many resist change and will rationalize otherwise. It's a defense mechanism. 'You're crazy, because I don't want to prepare for X, Y, Z.' I've already told close friends that certain inlaws will be ostracized by me when the curtain falls. They had their chance to prepare accordingly. No one is shacking up with me who is a liability. I may have room for my sister and her kids, but that's the cutoff.

Thor
08-30-2013, 09:21 AM
When I read your post and thought hollow walls and studs; the first thing I though to those that were hollow was... don't waste your time, burn down the house...

Then I thought of this song...

Then when I could not understand what the fuck he was saying (as has always been the case when I heard this song) I read the lyrics, closely... and read them again while listening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u06DpcFXc4U

Get them out
Ah

Watch out, you might get what you're after
Cool babies, strange but not a stranger
I'm an ordinary guy
Burning down the house

Hold tight, wait 'til the party's over
Hold tight, we're in for nasty weather
There has, got to be a way
Burning down the house

Here's your ticket pack your bags
Time for jumpin' overboard
Transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire, huah

All wet, here you might need a raincoat
Shakedown, dreams walking in broad daylight
Three hundred, sixty five degrees
Burning down the house

It was once upon a place sometimes, I listen to myself
Gonna come in first place
People on their way to work say baby what did you expect
Gonna burst into flame
Go ahead

Burning down the house
My house, is out of the ordinary
That's right, don't want to hurt nobody
Some things, sure can sweep me off my feet
Burning down the house

No visible means of support and you have not seen nothin' yet
Everything's stuck together
I don't know what you expect staring into the TV set
Fightin' fire with fire, huah

Yea
Burning down the house
Burning down the house
Burning down the house

With "Liberty colored glasses", so much of that can be viewed as sheeple, watch TV, stuck together, in a house, burning down; that we are trying to rescue...

I always liked the song, but never understood it. Now, even if the interpretation with "Liberty colored glasses" is just my own, I appreciate the song much more....

cajuncocoa
08-30-2013, 09:33 AM
There are times when I get sooooo close to getting through....and then they spend a couple of days listening to Hannity/Limbaugh and FOXNews and they lose everything we talked about in the last conversation.

ravedown
08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
ive spent so much time trying to get my family to understand or at least respect my position...not trying to convince them, just educate them about why i take the libertarian approach and the concept of volunteerism, NAP, and liberty. i've come to realize that as baby boomers...they have been taught their whole life that without the state, all of their fears will come true-communism, poverty, exploitation by corporations, crime and financial ruin. man is not to be trusted, unless he is employed by the state. the worst is that they pity me....it's depressing but it doesn't change my views.

KEEF
08-30-2013, 11:04 AM
How many times have you repeatedly attempted to win someone over but have failed? I spent the better part of 2007-2008 trying to win over my family. To this day they still haven't awoken. For the sake of using our time most wisely, I say the "studs in the wall" approach is the most effective. In other words, beat on the wall a few times, if it feels hallow, move on to another wall. This approach understands that a lot of people will just never wake up.
Or just start talking to only 1 out of every 16 people from center.;)