PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Geo Listening, a social network monitoring service.

better-dead-than-fed
08-29-2013, 01:21 AM
http://geolistening.com/

Turn on your always monitoring service....

Geo Listening is an always monitoring service of all public posts on social networks that originate from your school campuses....

paulbot24
08-29-2013, 01:40 AM
But What About Privacy?

The students we can help are already asking for you. All of the individual posts we monitor on social media networks are already made public by the students themselves. Therefore, no privacy is violated.

This is in their "Why us?" section of their site. Hate to say it, but this is true. If your kids are bragging on social media about their drug abuse and vandalism, maybe you the parents should have been listening long before Geolistening.

Note: If public schools purchase this service, does this mean our tax dollars.....oh damn it.

tangent4ronpaul
08-29-2013, 02:00 AM
A private Prism for teens! - AWESOME! :rolleyes:

Bet it's expensive. Bet there is federal grant money available to cover costs as part of a anti-bullying program.

One thing that really stood out is their mention of posts while they were at school. Isn't most of this type of problem off campus and after school?
Don't teachers confiscate cell phones if they see them in use?
Aren't schools as welcoming as corporations to people posting on FB on school time?

Sounds like some startup is having a tasty meal of funnelcake...

hmmm....

-t

paulbot24
08-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Sounds like some startup is having a tasty meal of funnelcake...

That's good! May I use that?:)

tangent4ronpaul
08-29-2013, 02:08 AM
That's good! May I use that?:)

Sure, but I hope you know I'm making an obscure ref to this:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/funnelcake-cloud-service-is-diy-nsa-for-data-stream-miners/

-t

paulbot24
08-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Oh Lord. I thought you were referring to tax dollars being funneled into the private sector through public State channels. After browsing that article, I'm not sure which is worse. Sometimes I wonder if people will look back on this time and say, "Oh yeah, back when humans were first being transformed into computer algorithms and probabilities."

P.S. I'm still using it for when I describe fiascoes like California buying ipads for all their students using tax dollars. It's called Apple funnelcake baby!

tangent4ronpaul
08-29-2013, 02:22 AM
LOL! - sounds good and a very good corollary.

-t

DamianTV
08-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Technology is no substitute for Good Parenting.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Oh Lord. I thought you were referring to tax dollars being funneled into the private sector through public State channels. After browsing that article, I'm not sure which is worse. Sometimes I wonder if people will look back on this time and say, "Oh yeah, back when humans were first being transformed into computer algorithms and probabilities."

P.S. I'm still using it for when I describe fiascoes like California buying ipads for all their students using tax dollars. It's called Apple funnelcake baby!

You're living in the last generation that will even know what the concept of true freedom is.

From here on out, the future of humanity is one giant globally controlled ant farm, under total surveillance.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Technology is no substitute for Good Parenting.

Says who, Mundane?

Technology is the new "government spending".

Just throw microprocessors at a problem until it goes away.

DamianTV
08-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Says who, Mundane?

Technology is the new "government spending".

Just throw microprocessors at a problem until it goes away.

We have reached a tipping point in Human History where our Technology has surpassed our Humanity. When Humanity again surpasses Technology, people will learn to love Humanity more than the Technology that is used to enslave it to the will of Tyrants.