PDA

View Full Version : Big Corporations, Small Business, Taxpayers and Health Care Subsidies

LJC4Liberty
08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Okay, just failed epically in a debate on my doorstep between ME (the supposed Libertarian Leaning Republican) and our neighborhood Citizens Action Group member. I NEED TO BE EDUCATED....eerrrrggh! HELP!

He was seeking support ($$$$) for an initiative here to make laws that big corporations should pay a fine or some sort of restitution to taxpayers in our state
for not hiring full time workers and only hiring part time workers forcing them to get their health benefits through state programs and that full time taxpayers are footing the bill. He cited WalMart, McDonalds, and Dunkin Donuts. He said it was "unfair" that these people were forced to work two and three jobs.

I said you had me at "unfair" and my blood began to boil. I told him that big corporations are doing this as a result of The Affordable Care act and the effect
it was having or going to have on health care premiums. He said that "no" this has been going on for years and is "unfair".

I said maybe its the fault of the gov't making it hard for full time jobs to be created and he threw back - so it's the gov'ts job to create jobs - little snot. Of course not I said, but they should get the hell out of the way with their regulations and BS.

I said I'm tired of all this "unfair" ridiculousness. I said nobody made it easy for me and in fact I was denied any Financial Aid to go to college and paid massive loans to do so...but I did it. He asked where I grew up and if I knew how hard it was in the inner city. I said not hard enough that there weren't grants and help for those who wanted to get off their asses. There was a lot more help for them than there was for me...but I found a way.

Again he started with the "unfair" B.S. Was it fair that people with full time jobs should have to pay for the state programs. I said no but that's a gov't problem for creating programs they couldn't fund, why should big corporations have to fix it? He said is it fair for a Big Corp CEO to get bonuses and make more in a day than a cashier does in a year...and here is where I lost it. I said do you know the difference between what a CEO does and a cashier - how does "fair" apply.

I couldn't go on... I couldn't make a damn argument. He started throwing stuff at me about value of the dollar and capitalism, saying isn't your value or the value of the dollar based on worth... what you are paid...blah blah blah.

I sent him off, but couldn't make a good argument. So aggravating! Feel like I failed the "cause".

Any words of advice or suggestions on how to improve my knowledge. Is there a Libertarian for Dummies OR Cliff Notes to the Republic for us not so sharp folks? :mad: