PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel frustrated?

coboman
11-28-2007, 02:53 AM
I come here every day and find great ideas for promoting Ron Paul. People of all walks of life giving their talent, money (lots of money), and time for a cause we all believe in.

Bu there is a demographic that doesn't even read the ideas in this forum, let alone try to participate in them.

And that demographic is the Ron Paul official campaign.

How come they don't have someone official listening to us? Talking to us? We have to go around publishing the official emails that someone got, and that everyone else doubts its authenticity. Guessing if they have enough money, trying to figure out if our latest effort will please them, complaining or praising their latest commercial, and all our voices are met with their silence.

I am very frustrated, because it seems that we are working in a different reality. With a different purpose.

I don't know about you, but I need to have someone official talking and listening to us on a daily basis.

BLS
11-28-2007, 03:02 AM
WE.....are the campaign my friend.

WE.....the people.

rs3515
11-28-2007, 03:04 AM
The campaign is the campaign, and the grassroots is the grassroots. Not only does managing thousands of grassroots supporters not fit into Ron Paul's mantra, but there are Federal Elections Commission ramifications.

At times campaign members drop by and offer information, but they've got plenty of things to keep them busy. If I saw them here more often, I'd be a bit worried that they were spending too much time talking with us, and not enough working on the larger marketing efforts (direct mail, radio ads, appearances, etc.).

Janet0116
11-28-2007, 03:05 AM
No, in fact, I feel wonderfully empowered. :)

Paulitician
11-28-2007, 03:05 AM
How come they don't have someone official listening to us? Talking to us? We have to go around publishing the official emails that someone got, and that everyone else doubts its authenticity. Guessing if they have enough money, trying to figure out if our latest effort will please them, complaining or praising their latest commercial, and all our voices are met with their silence.
Probably due to the campaign laws... I don't know really.

Delain
11-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Go and volunteer to work for the official campaign then. :)

I personaly am very in favor of this whole bottom-up approach. Pretty unique and something I would like to see in my county in coming elections.

BrianH
11-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Probably due to the campaign laws... I don't know really.

I heard that said by our State camapaign chairman with regard to meetups - they don't want to be seen as directing meetups since then the meetups might be construed as part of the official campaign requiring expense filings for FEC.

Thats one excuse. The other is it is a very lean operation and they dont have time.

pikerz
11-28-2007, 03:23 AM
how are you going to reach more people-- with contrived marketing schemes, or your own heart-felt sincerity? ...or better yet the collective heart-felt sincerity of all of us, and its resulting products-- like all the wonderful youtube videos, and stuff like that.

honestly, i think we can do it better and bigger, and reach people in ways that are just plain impossible for any other campaign without the level of freedom, individualism, creativity, and ingenuity that comes from self-organized grassroots support.

coboman
11-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Thats one excuse. The other is it is a very lean operation and they dont have time.

But what prevents them form having an open channel of communication?

Somewhere that people can go and present their wonderful YouTube videos and ask for their consideration to air them?

Where we could have a vote, and present them with the best idea of the week, or of the day, and know their opinion?

Where we can give our feedback of their commercials, for their consideration?

Because they have the money, and the organization, they could make great things happen faster.

I am not asking for someone to coordinate our efforts, just someone to listen, to talk and to orient.

DealzOnWheelz
11-28-2007, 03:27 AM
The other excuse is it doesn't exactly seem professional to non supporters that this is the guy who wants to run the country and he needs us to help him make his campaign work

DealzOnWheelz
11-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Because if Lepard asked them what they thought about the usa today ad before running it then FEC law would have been broken at that point with the official campaign being involved the cost of the ad would not be allowed to exceed $2300.

Thus not being involved with the campaign gives us more versatility to actually get these things off the ground.

Dr Paul is the speaker; we are his amplifier

xexkxex
11-28-2007, 03:34 AM
No, in fact, I feel wonderfully empowered. :)

:)

Janet0116
11-28-2007, 03:35 AM
coboman, I dont know if this is a new feature to this site or not (I'm fairly a newbie), but I think what you are looking for is this
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=212

Mark
11-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Because if Lepard asked them what they thought about the usa today ad before running it then FEC law would have been broken at that point with the official campaign being involved the cost of the ad would not be allowed to exceed $2300.

Thus not being involved with the campaign gives us more versatility to actually get these things off the ground.

Dr Paul is the speaker; we are his amplifier

That's pretty much it, FEC regulations prohibit 'official' coordination in certain areas.

Besides, It's OUR job to promote youtube vids and such,

it's their job to handle the 'official' campaign.

The FEC gets VERY picky when it comes to the kind of time and money
that's being spent by the grassroots effort,

and we need to keep the line CLEARLY drawn
between the grassroots and the "Official Campaign".

Lexx78
11-28-2007, 05:47 AM
the only thing I am frustrated about is that I can't vote and the fact that we have no one like RP in Dutch politics here. :D

Taco John
11-28-2007, 06:20 AM
I come here every day and find great ideas for promoting Ron Paul. People of all walks of life giving their talent, money (lots of money), and time for a cause we all believe in.

Bu there is a demographic that doesn't even read the ideas in this forum, let alone try to participate in them.

I am very frustrated, because it seems that we are working in a different reality. With a different purpose.

I don't know about you, but I need to have someone official talking and listening to us on a daily basis.

People have already said it... But I'll say it again... WE are the campaign. Ignore the official campaign. Seriously. It sounds crazy, but ignore them (to a degree). Just do what you can as an individual (or in groups) - EVERYTHING you can - and don't look backwards or sideways. It will just distract you from the goal.

They're doing everything they can. Believe me, they know what is at stake here just as much as anyone. This thing is a 30 year project in the making. But it's not going to happen without us sucking it up and getting it done on the front lines.

The first finish line is in sight... These primaries are everything to us... Iowa, New Hampshire... We need to make it happen there or we fail. If we don't even place in New Hampshire, it's over and done with (don't worry about that, though... We will. But the best way to ensure that we WIN New Hampshire right now is to place in Iowa!

If you're frustrated, pick up your sword (pen) and take it out on some paper (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=40590&highlight=letter). Iowa could deliver us an overwhelming victory if we can turn out the vote. Handwritten letters can be very powerful tools.

James R
11-28-2007, 06:33 AM

The official campaign is a minor part of the puzzle. We don't need them. In fact, after December 16th I plan to encourage donations to grassroots fund-raisers as a better way of getting support.

Dave Wood
11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
But what prevents them form having an open channel of communication?

Somewhere that people can go and present their wonderful YouTube videos and ask for their consideration to air them?

Where we could have a vote, and present them with the best idea of the week, or of the day, and know their opinion?

Where we can give our feedback of their commercials, for their consideration?

Because they have the money, and the organization, they could make great things happen faster.

I am not asking for someone to coordinate our efforts, just someone to listen, to talk and to orient.

Coboman,
I understand your feelings about this but the truth is the campaign does communicate heavily with the very large meetup groups, Chicago, NY, Austin etc.
They tried hiring a pro at one point (i think her name was Anita Andrews) to go to all the meetups to "instruct" them on how to do this and it failed miserably....not sure exactly why, but some of the other members here can tell you.

I think they are satisfied with this system, and if they are satisfied (and they are pros) then you can be to:) I personally dont like being told what to do, thats just me though.

Real_CaGeD
11-28-2007, 06:49 AM
I just ordered 2 yard signs, 2 car signs, 2 packs of slim jims.

Go Ron!

I saw my first political support tool yesterday morning on my way to work, Ron Paul bumper sticker.

AlexMerced
11-28-2007, 06:50 AM
The official campaign is a minor part of the puzzle. We don't need them. In fact, after December 16th I plan to encourage donations to grassroots fund-raisers as a better way of getting support.

You still need the campaign, but the campiagn is gonna function like a campaign, and by letting out efforts be compeltley supported run, it lends those efforts more credibility.

If thye got involved it would just be the media painting it as Ron Paul has this army he coordinates, which they try to do already. Luckily Taco John showed them what's up on Fox.

Menthol Patch
11-28-2007, 06:55 AM
I don't feel frustrated at all.

Things are going great in the campaign so far!

FreeTraveler
11-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Trying to organize libertarians is like trying to herd cats. I imagine the good doctor knows this, having been involved in the liberty movement for many years. He probably warns the official staff to leave us alone and let us do what we do best.

Also, it's probably good for the "official" campaign to keep some distance. In this day of "targeting" and "blowback" it's good for them to have "plausible deniability". :D

MsDoodahs
11-28-2007, 07:13 AM
FEC laws.

If you (like me) have not been involved at this level (money wise) with a campaign in the past, then you may have believed the line of manure that is used, about how if you want to change things you should get involved.

Every last one of us now knows that that line truly is manure.

If the powers that made the FEC laws really wanted we the people to get involved, those laws would not be designed at every turn to keep we the people from getting involved.

Shame and disgrace, the FEC laws are.

JMO, YMMV.

eta: Didn't John McCain and some now removed CongressCritter named Feingold have a lot to do with ensuring that we the people are thwarted by FEC laws? I mean, just in case we tried to change things through the existing system, those flipping moronic idiots wanted to make sure we could not...grrrr

Thunderbolt
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
You are not alone.

coboman
11-28-2007, 11:28 AM
FEC laws.
If the powers that made the FEC laws really wanted we the people to get involved, those laws would not be designed at every turn to keep we the people from getting involved.

You are not alone.

I can remove my tinfoil hat now.

reduen
11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I just wish the Official Campaign would get back with me on becoming a delegate!

It's been about a week now (again) and still nothing. I thought that this was important.. :(

Mauiboy86
11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
We are the campaign! about 15 members of the Charleston SC Ron Paul meetup group put together and ran 3 seperate speaking events for Dr. Paul. The only person from the official campaign was Carl, Rons personal assistant.

Brian Bailey
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Get lots of good info from The Paulunteer - Grassroots Newsletter (http://www.paulunteer.com).

Edward
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
How come they don't have someone official listening to us?Don Rasmussen does check in here periodically.

walt
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM

save your money and spend it more effectively yourself.

Bradley in DC
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
The official campaign is a minor part of the puzzle. We don't need them.

The official campaign is a minor part of the puzzle, yes, but we need all of the puzzle pieces. ;)

Mckarnin
11-28-2007, 12:50 PM

While daily input from the campaign and feedback would be psychologically gratifying it would be a huge burden and slow our efforts down immensley. With kudos and regular interaction with the campaign comes the need to seek approval, coordinate, look into campaign laws to a much greater extent than we as independent grassroots have to. Can you imagine if we had to get the go ahead for every project? Ron Paul's campaign would either approve next to nothing or spend all of their time researching the legal and political ramifications of our every idea. This is a better way for everyone concerned and it reflects in a small way the way the country will run when the Federal Government isn't busy micromanaging people's lives. :-)

Sematary
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM

The campaign DOES read these forums. I know this to be fact. I'm certain they pluck ideas when it makes sense to do so but for the most part they leave us alone and we like it that way. If people want their official emails or whatever, they should sign up on the site. They cannot give us any direction whatsoever - it is against FEC regs and personally, I prefer it that way.

Question_Authority
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
The first finish line is in sight... These primaries are everything to us... Iowa, New Hampshire... We need to make it happen there or we fail. If we don't even place in New Hampshire, it's over and done with

Good point. Too bad Dr Paul is avoiding NH like the plague. Even when he does come he scoots in and out in a secretive manner. Very bizarre and very frustrating.

There are rumors he is coming to NH this weekend. But nothing showing on his official schedule.

The press cannot track and cover a candidate if there is no announcement of his visit.

The state has been crawling with candidates for months now. But Dr Paul is a rare sight indeed.

I. JUST. DO. NOT. GET. IT.