PDA

View Full Version : The Evening Sun - Voting with your feet

Keith and stuff
08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
This article just came out and I like it, so I'm only posting a teaser. Click on the link to read the rest. You can follow the author on Twitter. @evesunashley

Voting with your feet
By: Ashley Biviano, Sun Staff Writer
Published: August 26th, 2013
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2013-08-26/17829/Voting-with-your-feet/

I was born in Norwich, NY. At the time, in 1988, we lived in Oxford but moved to Norwich when I was just a little one. If asked, Norwich is my hometown. Chenango County is very scenic and is home to some of the most beautiful rolling hills I've seen. Not much beats an afternoon wandering around the stone quarry or some other lesser known spot with some pretty stellar views. Norwich is home.

Now, the old adage is “home is where the heart is,” right? Well if that's the case – and if I'm ignoring the dictionary definition that it is the place in which I hold my permanent residence, then I have many homes. My car, for instance, is near and dear to me. I can get from place to place, sleep in it if I feel so inclined or have the need, or I suppose just sit in there and hang out if I want ... maybe have a snack.

Buffalo, where I attended college, also holds a spot in my heart. Pulling in just gives me that, “Oh hey, I'm back,” cozy vibe. It's nice, but nowhere I'd want to live forever. Of course, “second homes” count too, those being the homes of my best friends, who are always around and even make me dinner, like “real adults” do when they visit one another. That's homey and comfy as well.

Home is comfy. This home was comfy.

I often hear both sides of situations in Norwich. Folks love it or they hate it. Many equate Norwich to an addiction to drugs; you know you need to just stop. Get out. Move on. But there's that little bit of something drawing you back.

Others have worked hard to build a life in this area, take pride in what they've accomplished, and are thrilled to be in such a “tight knit” community. If that's where you stand, good for you. I'm not here to bash your successes, merely to point out not everyone feels the same.

I enjoy freedom. Be it the “little” things or the “big issues” - I think I'm pretty competent to make my own decisions. It's pretty simple really; don't hurt anyone, don't take things that aren't yours … you know the spiel, I've said it before. I don't think someone needs permission from the government for a four-year-old to sell some lemonade.

There is something called the “Freedom in the 50 States” index, where the states are ranked by fiscal policy, regulatory policy, and personal freedom (gun control, marriage policy, victimless crime policy, education policy and the like). Lo and behold, NY is number 50 – and this is not the type of thing where the state with the highest score wins.

According to this report, 9 percent of the NY state population left the state for another between 2000 and 2011. That's quite a bit if you ask me.