PDA

View Full Version : Can Lindsey Graham survive the Tea Party's wrath?

Brian4Liberty
08-26-2013, 06:09 PM
"Can Lindsey Graham survive the Tea Party's wrath?"

Let's hope not...

http://media.theweek.com/img/generic/grahammilkcarton.jpg

The angry rhetoric directed at Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) by Tea Party conservatives is cranking up in volume heading into what could be a very contentious Republican primary in 2014.

Graham has long been a staple of South Carolina politics, serving four terms in the House before winning the Senate seat vacated by Strom Thurmond in 2002. But now — just as happened when conservative Sen. Bob Bennett (R-Utah) was mercilessly ousted by the Tea Party in 2010 for not being conservative enough — a number of grassroots groups have grown tired of Graham, and are gunning for him in the June 2014 primary. Here's what you should know:

What do South Carolina conservatives have against Lindsey Graham?

They charge that he's an establishment moderate more interested in the national spotlight than meeting the needs of his very conservative home state. In that vein, a group called Carolina Conservatives United released an ad picturing Graham on the side of a milk carton.

Graham, like Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), is also catching flak from the right for advocating for immigration reform as part of the Senate's bipartisan Gang of Eight.

Some conservatives also charge that Graham, one of the Senate's most vocal foreign policy hawks, is too cozy with President Obama. In 2010, Graham was was the only Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee to endorse Elena Kagan, Obama's nominee to the Supreme Court. He was praised by moderates and progressives for his speech defending his decision, in which he said, despite opposing Obama's election in 2008, it was the Senate's "obligation to honor elections, respect elections, and to protect the court."

That message did not go over well in Tea Party circles, and things have not gotten better since. Earlier this month, Graham and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) went to Egypt, prompting one of Graham's GOP challengers to call him a "community organizer for the Muslim Brotherhood."
More:
http://theweek.com/article/index/248721/can-lindsey-graham-survive-the-tea-partys-wrath

Mr.NoSmile
08-26-2013, 06:22 PM
He's got the war chest big enough to combat it, to be sure. He's expecting a challenge. I hope three pronged attack from Bright, Mace and Cash is enough to do some damage and get one of them in there, but at the same time, hope that South Carolina voters have been paying attention.

pacelli
08-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't know, but, surely a more progressive democrat can unseat her.

jj-
08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Is there a Ron Paul Republican running in the Democratic primary just in case, like in 2008?

green73
08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes. Unless the tea party person is an even bigger tool for the MIC/Empire.

Bastiat's The Law
08-26-2013, 07:54 PM
He's got the war chest big enough to combat it, to be sure. He's expecting a challenge. I hope three pronged attack from Bright, Mace and Cash is enough to do some damage and get one of them in there, but at the same time, hope that South Carolina voters have been paying attention.
I hope they're smart enough to aim all their fire and ire towards Graham and not each other. Can't wait to watch the debates and see them relentlessly bombard Lindsey with his own failures.

Dianne
08-26-2013, 08:34 PM
I hope they're smart enough to aim all their fire and ire towards Graham and not each other. Can't wait to watch the debates and see them relentlessly bombard Lindsey with his own failures.

I grew up in South Carolina... It's probably the most homophobic state in the union.... yet they consistently vote in a gay man ... Lindsey Graham repeatedly ... That proves to me elections are rigged... I don't even wish to vote any longer...

Obama's second term was rigged... there was never a real election ... Lindsey Graham, gay man, continues to rule South Carolina and promote every war he can think of... maybe he thinks men in uniform are ................... HOT .................

Write off South Carolina... no chance there with Lindsey Graham ... No one will vote for him, but he will win anyway... He has lots of friends in high places .... or "low" ... however you look at it.

DonVolaric
08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Brian4Liberty;5196263] "Can Lindsey Graham survive the Tea Party's wrath?" Mr. Graham's base is bought & paid for the other three will split what's left & to answer your question; "does a bear crap in the woods"

DonVolaric
08-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I hope they're smart enough to aim all their fire and ire towards Graham and not each other. Can't wait to watch the debates and see them relentlessly bombard Lindsey with his own failures. I'm not from South Carolina but the playbook for an incumbent is pretty consistent in all states in a primary, If Lindsey is polling with a comfortable lead I can't imagine he would give the other three the opportunity to debate, for he would have nothing to gain. I hope I'm wrong, like I said, I'm not from South Carolina.

twomp
08-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes. Unless the tea party person is an even bigger tool for the MIC/Empire.

I don't think they come much worse than Graham.