PDA

View Full Version : Blimp should make debut apperance at Boston Harbor Dec. 16

equality7252117@yahoo.com
11-28-2007, 02:37 AM
If we delay the blimps appearance until mid Dec. we would be able to make a bigger impression with the Media about the Tea Party Money Bomb. We need to provide the media with bright, shiny pictures while they are reporting on the massive amount of money Ron Paul is raising. Having visuals of an Air Ship in Boston Harbor dumping Federal Reserve notes (or paper made to appear as such) into the water would be an irresistible visual. International Media would even pick this up! We could at least guarantee a 15sec video clip at the top of every national news show.

And i don't care what the naysayers say about dumping into the water. Paper would be harmless and this just has to happen. The tie in with the Money Bomb is perfect and it emphasizes Ron Paul's views on monetary policy. We just have to find a way to make this literal Money Bomb happen!!! (colored paper - not real money)

Also maybe by delaying the Blimps debut we could then extend the lease trough January so that the blimp will be available for the New Hampshire Primary?

peacemaker
11-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Dumping federal reserve notes into the sea would be so powerful! People would be asking, "Why are they throwing away good money??"

BeFranklin
11-28-2007, 02:51 AM
If we delay the blimps appearance until mid Dec. we would be able to make a bigger impression with the Media about the Tea Party Money Bomb. We need to provide the media with bright, shiny pictures while they are reporting on the massive amount of money Ron Paul is raising. Having visuals of an Air Ship in Boston Harbor dumping Federal Reserve notes (or paper made to appear as such) into the water would be an irresistible visual. International Media would even pick this up! We could at least guarantee a 15sec video clip at the top of every national news show.

And i don't care what the naysayers say about dumping into the water. Paper would be harmless and this just has to happen. The tie in with the Money Bomb is perfect and it emphasizes Ron Paul's views on monetary policy. We just have to find a way to make this literal Money Bomb happen!!! (colored paper - not real money)

Also maybe by delaying the Blimps debut we could then extend the lease trough January so that the blimp will be available for the New Hampshire Primary?

Umm, yes Ron Paul dollars, that ought to do it.

wisconsinite
11-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Since it's in the neighborhood...

If the blimp makes it to Boston for Dec. 16, it really should take advantage of the large viewing audience available at the New England Patriots home game on the same day. Kick-off is at 1pm. If it could be timed so the blimp flies over the stadium at half-time that would be super cool.

CelestialRender
11-28-2007, 07:44 AM
It has to start moving before the 16th IMO. But yeah, it absolutely has to be in Boston on the 16th, and I think the organizers know that.

Flirple
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Do dollar bills float or do they sink? If they float indefinitely then there really wouldn't be any worries about littering because people would immediately get into their boats to pick them out. Or if they knew in advance (because we promoted it properly) they would all be in their boats with nets waiting for the money drop. In which case we could have a small boat going around and giving out free hot tea while everyone waited. As long as the publicity we got from this was worth more than the amount we lost from the dump I think we should seriously consider this.

The reason is because it is totally different doing this from the blimp than previous ideas of just throwing fed notes from a dock or a boat. From a blimp people will already be watching it from all over the city. We will have their attention unlike just doing this from the ground. This is something that provides killer visuals for the media. And we can promote this to people who don't care about politics/Ron/ the election/etc. Just tell them to be ready because it is going to be raining money courtesy of the rEVOLution on the 16th.

This would not simply be a quaint symbolic celebration of American history. This would BE American history.

Or we might consider just dropping dollars over the city somewhere.

I think our biggest concerns are we don't want anyone getting hurt because they jump into the freezing December water to get the money and drown or get hypothermia. Or they get trampled because we caused a stampede with the free money. Plus we don't want to get into any legal trouble or get the blimp company in any trouble. We would of course need to find out if the blimp company will allow us to do this and find out from the city if we would need any permit from this or if we would be breaking any laws.

fireworks_god
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
The blimp definitely needs to fly in Boston for this, and, from the blimp or not, we definitely need to be dumping dollars into the ocean. :)

nevildev
11-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I can just imagine the cheers in the stadium and bars as the blimp flies overhead, reaction of the announcers, and media coverage across the country! The only thing is.....

isn't there a no-fly zone near stadiums? Would the blimp need a permit?

austin356
11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Anyone who "tosses money into the harbor" is a complete fool. I hope you people are just messing around. There is basically limitless downside and practically no practical upside.

francisco
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Anyone who "tosses money into the harbor" is a complete fool. I hope you people are just messing around. There is basically limitless downside and practically no practical upside.

I agree. I am a pledged contributor, but I am asking the organizers to stipulate that no money will tossed overboard before I send in my donation.

The idea of throwing away money, or polluting the water with fake money, is beyond stupid. I break my back to earn my living, and I won't see the fruits of my labor frivolously thrown away. The suggestion to throw away money would only be made by someone who doesn't have any, or has too much to know its value.

An action like this doesn't inspire confidence in potential voters who want to see their tax monies spent wisely.

MN Patriot
11-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I've been following the blimp project, and I agree: DON'T DROP ANYTHING FROM THE BLIMP!!!

While it may seem to be a great media event for someone who views the world from the perspective as a libertarian, it will only give the MSM another example of the Ron Paul "kooks" who are now dropping money from a blimp. For one thing, most of them have little or no comprehension of the Federal Reserve issue, so the meaning will be completely lost on them. They might remember the Boston Tea Party, but the whole idea of tax protest is the same thing as treason to liberals.

I think this general idea could be applied to a whole bunch of publicity events and the Ron Paul campaign itself; liberals worship government and they consider anyone who doesn't share their faith in it as heretics. So they will report negatively about anything the heretics do or say.

Then there are the more practical issues: littering, public hazards, nuisance, etc.

The blimp idea is great, I wish I could do more beyond donating money, but don't undermine the publicity we get by doing something foolish.

BeFranklin
11-28-2007, 06:42 PM
I've been following the blimp project, and I agree: DON'T DROP ANYTHING FROM THE BLIMP!!!

While it may seem to be a great media event for someone who views the world from the perspective as a libertarian, it will only give the MSM another example of the Ron Paul "kooks" who are now dropping money from a blimp. .

Sortof like the kooks that dropped teabags into the harbor 200 years ago?

MN Patriot
11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Sortof like the kooks that dropped teabags into the harbor 200 years ago?

The modern media has turned their propaganda into an art form. They will use anything slightly out of the ordinary that they can focus on to distract people from the real issues, like the Bunny Ranch endorsement. If money or teabags are dropped from the blimp, they could completely ignore it, (and I think that is the most likely scenario) or they will twist it into some News of the Weird item and laugh about it, completely ignoring the symbolism or the main issue.

Here is the story, ready for them to cut and paste to page 12:

Boston, MA December 16 - Campaign supporters conducted an unconventional stunt to prop up the sagging presidential campaign of Republican underdog Ron Paul, by dropping money and tea bags from a blimp they rented specifically for the occasion. This latest stunt was another desperate attempt to garner attention to the only Republican candidate who simutaneously wants to end the war in Iraq and legalize drugs. City officials are investigating the incident for possibly violating anti-littering laws.

The skunks in the media can twist the facts and ignore the intent of something like this.

The blimp is a great idea, go for it, but dropping anything could easily backfire on the whole project.

Charles Wilson
11-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Droping booklets of the Constitution from the blimp over land may not be a bad idea.

hummtide
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Umm, yes Ron Paul dollars, that ought to do it.

As long as their bi-degradeable, or Romney, Teddy, and Al Gore will attack ya for pollution!

Tarzan
11-28-2007, 10:32 PM
NOTHING will be dropped from the Blimp!

This is against FAA regulations and we will be keeping it legal. Its a great idea but we don't want to incur any liabilities or break any rules which will result in bad press.

bottom line is nothing will be dropped from the blimp... except skydivers

macdee
11-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Just throwing out an idea...

A safe LOUD Canon going off in Boston Harbor!

After the tea party reenactment, at the event a LOUD Canon goes off several times to create the atmosphere of The R3VOLUTION blimp is about to arrive! Get's people thinking about the American R3VOLUTION. That would create a lot of excitement! It will create a crowd of people trying to figure out what's going on.

I've seen these canons at Disneyland and other entertainment parks. That would be pretty cool seeing two American "blue-coats" firing off a real canon just before the blimp arrives. Creates a great atmosphere and a lot of anticipation! Fits in well with the whole revolution thing. Also a photo op for the press.

Another idea, if the canon can't be worked out, how about the LOUD fireworks that explode with a white puff of smoke. It would have the same effect in creating excitement and anticipation for the arrival of the Ron Paul "R3VOLUTION" blimp. Fire off about five of those guys and that will get everyone's blood going! Long streamers on the blimp too, red, white and blue.

Just some ideas....

Here's another idea. A small firework show going off the night before the blimp arrives in Boston Harbor. I can hear it on the local news "For those that were wondering about the firework display tonight in Boston Harbor, a group of individuals supporting Ron Paul have a BLIMP of all things arriving for the Tea Party reenactment. Viewers might want to attend the Tea Party reenactment tomorrow morning for the event. News at 11."

Everyone going to sleep that night will have the fascinating BLIMP story on their mind as they drift off into dreamland. Kids will wake up in the morning asking their parents to take them to see the blimp! Please, can't we go mom...? The local meet-up will be ready with slim-jims and wearing their "Ron Paul R3VOLUTION" t-shirts over their warm long johns of course.

That's over the top... but what a nice thought!

macdee
11-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Could the Ron Paul R3VOLUTION blimp land where the Boston POPs do their Fourth of July Concert? I here it is a BIG park which is clear of trees and a huge flat green lawn. It would be perfect for a press photo op with Ron Paul! The Boston Tea Party reenactment people could be there too!

Maybe the Boston Meet-Up could help by talking to the city representatives and get more info concerning permits and such. It would be a great place to have a Ron Paul rally and media photo op for all the press!

european
11-30-2007, 05:35 AM
dont throw anything out of that blimp....
if you want some symbolism, then just get 1000 people who burn a 1-dollar-bill each at the same time. that should get some extra mediacoverage :p and the overall costs arent that high that way :P i guess there will be 1000 people around who can spare 1 dollar :)
(and oh, you need lighters or matches ofcourse)

EDIT: burn it when it is dark, so it has a nicer visual effect :)

Man from La Mancha
11-30-2007, 05:45 AM
I love short circuiting peoples minds with the idea of throw dollars into Boston Harbor. Notice the reaction it gets on these boards, it's a stunt people won't forget. We will not be stealing anybodies hard earned money but doing what ever we want with ours. Fake money would not work it has to be real money. And just let it float away.:D Yea the burning is even better.

pickfair
11-30-2007, 06:05 AM
I agree, we shouldn't drop anything from the blimp, but we could chew on the burning one dollar bills idea. It's true we're doing what we like with our own money, and it might even get some media attention.

The canon/fireworks idea is also something to consider, because it would draw attention from outsiders. But we do have to be careful we do nothing that would harm the campaign.

tangent4ronpaul
11-30-2007, 06:13 AM
That's brilliant!

http://www.captainboom.com/fireworks-faq.php

How much does a fireworks display cost?

The typical July 4th show budget is $3000 to $20,000. For smaller events, away from the July 4th holiday, we suggest starting at $2000. It is possible to do a fireworks display for less, but it will depend on your venue and what you want to achieve.

I imagine we have supporters that are in the business...

-n

Here's another idea. A small firework show going off the night before the blimp arrives in Boston Harbor. I can hear it on the local news "For those that were wondering about the firework display tonight in Boston Harbor, a group of individuals supporting Ron Paul have a BLIMP of all things arriving for the Tea Party reenactment. Viewers might want to attend the Tea Party reenactment tomorrow morning for the event. News at 11."

tangent4ronpaul
11-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Bands 4 Ron Paul on MySpace!

Can we pull together a concert this fast?

That would rock!

-n

Could the Ron Paul R3VOLUTION blimp land where the Boston POPs do their Fourth of July Concert? I here it is a BIG park which is clear of trees and a huge flat green lawn. It would be perfect for a press photo op with Ron Paul! The Boston Tea Party reenactment people could be there too!

Maybe the Boston Meet-Up could help by talking to the city representatives and get more info concerning permits and such. It would be a great place to have a Ron Paul rally and media photo op for all the press!

SneakyFrenchSpy
11-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Somebody get a hold of John Mayer or his agent. He's a big fan of Ron's and would probably play for next to nothing. He's in L.A. on 12/08 then what looks like nothing after that. I bet a ton of people would turn out to see him (especially women, can you imagine the almost untapped demographics we could reach??)

tangent4ronpaul
11-30-2007, 06:24 AM
OK - so it's illegal to drop anything but a skydiver out of an airplane.

Is there any law against a sky diver dropping something - say bundles of fake cash, or small crates?

stuff the crates with a life preserver and use something more biodegradable than paper for the mock money. Then collect crates. Assumes a over water jump - leaving aircraft, not necessarily landing.

-n

pickfair
11-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Somebody get a hold of John Mayer or his agent. He's a big fan of Ron's and would probably play for next to nothing. He's in L.A. on 12/08 then what looks like nothing after that. I bet a ton of people would turn out to see him (especially women, can you imagine the almost untapped demographics we could reach??)

Maybe someone could get his contact info (agent?) and we could all e-mail/call him asking for support? John Mayer would be a big attraction guaranteed.

tangent4ronpaul
11-30-2007, 06:59 AM
http://www.jpyro.com/journal/issue_7/index.htm#Ryan

Titles and Abstracts for Issue No. 7, Summer 1998
greenbar.jpg (1569 bytes)

The Production of Music with Pyrotechnic Whistles
Fred Ryan
Abstract: The techniques used by the Western Pennsylvania Skylighters to produce music with pyrotechnic whistles are described. Whistle tubes of various diameters and lengths are used to produce individual notes. The tubes, containing small amounts of compressed whistle composition, are fired electrically. Construction details are given for producing very reproducible notes over five musical octaves. This music was demonstrated at the Pyrotechnics Guild International (PGI) Convention in 1994 ("Stars and Stripes Forever") and at the 1997 PGI Convention (Circus medley music accompanying set pieces) utilizing a computer controlled firing system. Simpler tunes have also been performed using hand-firing techniques such as a "nail board" firing system. Our experience in improving the tonal quality of the music produced, as well as suggested areas for further improvement, is discussed.
Keywords: computer-fired whistle music, whistle production, whistle, pyrotechnic music production
Reprint Information: Number of pages = 10.

Light bulbs going off yet? ;)

-n

Mark
11-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I agree. I am a pledged contributor, but I am asking the organizers to stipulate that no money will tossed overboard before I send in my donation.

The idea of throwing away money, or polluting the water with fake money, is beyond stupid. I break my back to earn my living, and I won't see the fruits of my labor frivolously thrown away. The suggestion to throw away money would only be made by someone who doesn't have any, or has too much to know its value.

An action like this doesn't inspire confidence in potential voters who want to see their tax monies spent wisely.

That just goes to show the immaturity and clue_less_ness of whoever is behind this.

They're making a laughing stock out of themselves and they don't even know it.

I'm glad the Internet wasn't like it is now when I was a teenager.

I would have embarrassed myself a million times too.

It's not just this. They're sending out emails saying the blimp will launch in less than two weeks,
and they don't have a dime in hand for it yet.

11-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Alright, so dropping things out of aircraft is too much for you guys so how about this....

I like the idea about the fireworks/ cannon show - how about a money filled pinyata like sculpture that explodes along with a fireworks/ cannon show.

The paper mache sculpture would be positioned above the crowd but wouldn't be airborne :(

We could lift it above the crowd by using big helium filled Ron Paul balloons. See this link to a company that sells giant balloons for advertising. (http://www.southernballoonworks.com/giantballspage.html)

This company also sells Remote Controlled outdoor 16' blimps (http://www.southernballoonworks.com/rcblimps.html)which would be able to lift the exploding pinyatas/Money Bombs. These would be Freakin AWESOME to have whereever the Mothership goes as a promotional tool.

I think that a seperate pledge drive should be started on the Blimp site to raise funds to buy some of these RC Blimps.

More importantly.....We must have Money Bombs! :)

Eric21ND
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
i was luke warm on the blimp idea, but run with it guys i want to see it fly now!

macdee
11-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Back in the sixties they would burn draft cards and dollar bills.

The American tradition of the Boston Tea Party just doesn't seem to fit with the Vietnam War protests back in the sixties. Those are two very different periods in our history. We need to stick to a theme and stay on message. The Tea Party and a Vietnam protest don’t seem to connect. Not in my mind anyway.

I think of Patriots dressed up as Indians dumping tea into Boston Harbor protesting unjust taxes. If you going to burn something, burn an IRS 1040 form. You could also get a round metal drum for trash and tear up the Tax Code book and BURN IT! That would make a nice image in the minds of people and be a great photo op.

Paint the metal drum like the thirteen star American flag. Last time I checked, burning the Tax Code is still legal. It would keep us warm too because it’s going to be a cold winter day. Just throwing out an idea, that is if you really want to burn something. We would need to contact the local fire department to get them to attend. Could you imagine making that phone call... We're burning the Tax Code, could you help? They would ask if they could bring all their friends!

No one wants to turn off the American people in voting for Ron Paul. If creative ideas come to mind, I myself think what would big corporations do to get media? Companies like Verizon, Disney, Apple, etc. What would they do on a very low budget to get attention without offending potential customers... or voters in our case.

I would rather see every single dollar go to the Ron Paul campaign! Burning money when low income people are being taxed to death could send the wrong message. That's like eating a steak dinner in front of someone that's starving to death. That’s over the top but I’m just trying to make a point. You decide what’s best.

Just throwing out some crazy thoughts and ideas....

MN Patriot
11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Back in the sixties they would burn draft cards and dollar bills.
If you going to burn something, burn an IRS 1040 form.

The whole image of burning something means you oppose the thing you are burning...effigies...flags...books.

Do Ron Paul supporters oppose money? No. So why burn it? Most people haven't even read what those green pieces of paper say, so they will not make the connection to the Federal Reserve.

If we are going to burn anything, BURN THE TAX FORMS!!! People will immediately make the connection: eliminate the IRS.

Besides, they print so many of them, I have at least 10 minutes worth of burning stashed in the attic. And those are the extras that I thought I would never use for anything! See, it pays to be a packrat.

macdee
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
If were going to burn IRS FORMS and the IRS TAX CODE, we would need to contact all the anti-tax nonprofit organizations so they too could bring their media representatives to Boston Harbor and work the press. That would create a much larger media event. While their talking to the press, guess what, this HUGE RON PAUL blimp shows up! All cameras point up to the sky "RON PAUL R3VOLUTION!" A tax REVOLUTION in America in Boston Harbor! Then a huge CANNON GOES OFF! Cool...

Headline: Tax Protest Organizations meet up for big Ron Paul event!

macdee
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
The cannon idea is not that hard to pull off. We could just contact one of those Civil War reenactment clubs that have all the uniforms and a cannon. The Union side of course. That's an easy phone call. I'd pitch in to cover their hotel expenses and such. I think they would be into it. We just have to pray for good weather and finalizing the blimp money collection to get things off the ground.

As for fireworks, we could contact the same company that does the Boston Pops Forth of July thing. These resources are out there! They could set up a small fireworks display at the same location that they use every year on the fourth. This is doable folks! Not that big of a deal. I can't imagine they would be busy in the month of December. They probably would do the work for a reduced price.

Just some crazy ideas....

boggie08
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
The Boston Ron Paul meetup gruop is holding a rally in Fanuil Hall on December 16th. There will be many speakers, including Rand Paul. Maybe it could fly around Boston at some point it the day.

francisco
11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
The whole image of burning something means you oppose the thing you are burning...effigies...flags...books.

...If we are going to burn anything, BURN THE TAX FORMS!!! People will immediately make the connection: eliminate the IRS.

I am adamantly opposed to dumping money out of the blimp, or burning money, but I definitely could get behind burning Tax forms!

As Patriot says above, that is something that will resonate with people.

macdee
11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
The Tea Party reenactment is done in the morning so the blimp could be there for it. Then a hour before the Fanuil Hall event the blimp would be there in the sky as people show up. When everyone is inside the Hall, it could head back to Boston Harbor and fly around for a while. No one is going to see it when their inside the Hall.

The blimp would then fly back to Fanuil Hall to be there when that event ends and fly around for a hour, then come back to Boston Harbor. It will give the blimp crew something to do during the day of the 16th. I don’t see a problem.

Just some crazy ideas….

macdee
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Is there a place close by Fanuil Hall where the blimp could land? That would be a GREAT PHOTO OP for Ron Paul! If it was possible, the blimp could land an hour and a half before the Fanuil Hall event so people could show up early and see it. Maybe Ron Paul could go for a short ride!

Why doesn't Ron Paul just show up an hour before the event IN THE BLIMP! The blimp could pick him up in Boston Harbor and fly him to Fanuil Hall. Some one next door to Fanuil Hall may have large private property for the landing. Just need permission and FAA clearance. Since Ron Paul is a congressman and presidential candidate, the FAA might bend the rules.

Just throwing out some crazy ideas....

HOLLYWOOD
11-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Some EX IRS agents that speak the truth would be nice...?

Thomas Paine was quite the writer in New England, any 21st century Paines?

Of course informing all the Universities for turnout and events is a plus...

Most ROCK BANDS would support RP...

Could put Ads for volunteers on CRAIGSLIST.org

Copies of the CONSTITUTION?

On a sidebar... I'm thinking the U.S. Constitution in Baltimore harbor would be a great backdrop for a rally in the future.

macdee
11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Somebody on the West Coast needs to get their blimp up in the air! Maybe with large donations they could get one of the other blimp companies to do a three month project! The WEST COAST really needs a blimp project started ASAP!

They have good weather so there would be even more opportunities on the West Coast. The California Primaries would go WILD over a RON PAUL R3VOLUTION blimp! That's really big considering how many electoral votes they have at the Republican Convention! All western states would benefit!

I'd like to see the West Coast Ron Paul R3VOLUTION blimp over Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc.

Just throwing out some crazy ideas....

TooConservative
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Flying a blimp around littering Boston harbor with funny money sounds dumb. The eco-nuts won't like it at all. Neither will most voters.

Maybe we should think about stuff that appeals to regular Mom and Pop Republican voters.

I don't think a headline that reads "Ron Paul Litters Boston From His Blimp" would be good. Or "The Blimp That Spammed Boston". Maybe we could do something a little less spammy.

TooConservative
11-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree, we shouldn't drop anything from the blimp, but we could chew on the burning one dollar bills idea.

Actually, I'm liking the idea of some of you chewing on flaming dollar bills. Good luck with that.

Bacon
11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
The area where this event is going to take place is very close to Logan Int'l Airport. Does anyone have any contact information to see what we need to do to clear our blimp for being in a busy international airport's airspace?

european
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Do Ron Paul supporters oppose money? No. So why burn it? Most people haven't even read what those green pieces of paper say, so they will not make the connection to the Federal Reserve.

If we are going to burn anything, BURN THE TAX FORMS!!! People will immediately make the connection: eliminate the IRS.

Besides, they print so many of them, I have at least 10 minutes worth of burning stashed in the attic. And those are the extras that I thought I would never use for anything! See, it pays to be a packrat.

Some EX IRS agents that speak the truth would be nice...?

Copies of the CONSTITUTION?

On a sidebar... I'm thinking the U.S. Constitution in Baltimore harbor would be a great backdrop for a rally in the future.

both lovely ideas :D

EDIT: the only thing with burning is, that it should be all small scale like 1 taxform at a time or per person. Not huge piles of taxforms on fire. im just thinking of safety here.

OferNave
11-30-2007, 07:37 PM
That's brilliant!

http://www.captainboom.com/fireworks-faq.php

How much does a fireworks display cost?

The typical July 4th show budget is $3000 to $20,000. For smaller events, away from the July 4th holiday, we suggest starting at $2000. It is possible to do a fireworks display for less, but it will depend on your venue and what you want to achieve.

I imagine we have supporters that are in the business...

I've been dying to see fireworks made a part of some Ron Paul event for MONTHS. I was really hoping to see some on Nov 5, but alas...

If someone wants to take this up and run with it, open a new thread. I'll chip in.

And for the record:
1) I'm against dropping anything.
2) I'm against burning anything.
There are plenty of way cooler things to do that are non-controversial.

Tarzan
11-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry to repeat this... but:

NOTHING will be dropped from the Blimp!

This is against FAA regulations and we will be keeping it legal. Its a great idea but we don't want to incur any liabilities or break any rules which will result in bad press.

bottom line is nothing will be dropped from the blimp... except skydivers

Chomsky
11-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Great idea!!!!!!!!!

cien750hp
11-30-2007, 09:50 PM
can't you imagine looking out, and having the ron paul blimp and the fireworks in the background (red white and blue) of course. we need lots of fireworks displays. they get attention. i mentioned this to elijah, i hope he is going to see about that too.

OferNave
12-01-2007, 06:56 AM
can't you imagine looking out, and having the ron paul blimp and the fireworks in the background (red white and blue) of course. we need lots of fireworks displays. they get attention. i mentioned this to elijah, i hope he is going to see about that too.

I wouldn't say lots... fireworks are expensive. Like the blimp, the first big one will get lots of attention everywhere, after that - diminishing returns.

Mark Mosconi
12-01-2007, 07:02 AM
We need to provide the media with bright, shiny pictures while they are reporting on the massive amount of money Ron Paul is raising. Having visuals of an Air Ship in Boston Harbor dumping Federal Reserve notes (or paper made to appear as such) into the water would be an irresistible visual. International Media would even pick this up! We could at least guarantee a 15sec video clip at the top of every national news show.

I'm not at all against ideas, but I happen to think this is a very bad one. Ron Paul does not need the negative publicity that this would undoubtedly bring, plus, those Federal Reserve Notes could be much better spent by contributing to the cause of Liberty. This has bad idea written all over it. I can just imagine what would be said about it...first Guy Fawkes day, now dumping money into the water. I don't really think Ron Paul would support that type of thing either. Let's keep our heads on and not do anything stupid. PLEASE!!!

voytechs
12-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Dumping federal reserve notes into the sea would be so powerful! People would be asking, "Why are they throwing away good money??"

I think throwing away real money like you get 100 $1 bills for $100, would be the most environmentally friendly. Why? Because none of it would remain in the water for long. You'd have hords of people (homeless and such) jumping in after them. The bay would be cleaner then when we found it (scouts motto).

12-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm not at all against ideas, but I happen to think this is a very bad one. Ron Paul does not need the negative publicity that this would undoubtedly bring, plus, those Federal Reserve Notes could be much better spent by contributing to the cause of Liberty. This has bad idea written all over it. I can just imagine what would be said about it...first Guy Fawkes day, now dumping money into the water. I don't really think Ron Paul would support that type of thing either. Let's keep our heads on and not do anything stupid. PLEASE!!!

first Guy Fawkes day, now dumping money into the water....
Ron Paul does not need the negative publicity that this would undoubtedly bring

This sentiment is silly to me. Imagine the Sons of Liberty in 1773 fretting about the bad press that dumping perfectly good tea into the water would bring. It's rediculous. The whole point of doing a stunt like this is to generate press, and there is no such thing as bad press. Dumping tea into the habor was a revolutionary at of vandalism directed against the political establishment of the day. The "MainStream Media" of the day (at least the loyalist press) probalbly had all sorts of "negative" stories about the tea party - but that was the whole point! It was a revolution as so is this.

I'm not totally convinced about using Federal Reserve Notes (paper made to look like dollars might do just as well i think), but we need to make a political statement otherwise this event is just a party that happens to have it's own airship.

1. Dumping money makes a political statement: it says that if the United States allows the Federal Reserve to continue to debase the value of the doller then we will stop using the dollar. The 1773 tea party began with a boycott of tea - england gave special priveliges to the East India Company (today the US gives the FED special privelges to controll the money supply).

2. The teaparty07 site which the media will base their stories on, mentions that this is a protest againt an inflation tax. What better way of making the point that the dollar is becoming worthless than by voluntarily dumping our own money into the water(or throwing it in the air, or burning it, or whatever). This is our money and if we want to make a political statement with it buy burning it, or giving it away, that is our choice, you may want to use your money buy donating to Ron Paul and that is political speech too, just a different (more practical) form. (This is a stunt to make a point not an excercise in efficiency).

3. Thanks to Guy Fawkes day this has become known as a "Money Bomb" bombs are dropped from aircraft and they explode. So why not make it this a literal reality? Sadly, i've come to realize that dropping things from aircraft is a bit extravigent (although this skydiver idea is interesting...) However something more down to earth we could do would be to make bomb shaped pinatas and fill them with money and Ron Paul info. We can engage the crowd by allowing them to take swings at the pinatas and "explode" the "Money Bombs". It would be great fun for everyone; it would allow us to reach out to those at the rally site for non-polical reasons; and it would make a point about the worthless dollar, and tie-in the online money bomb fundraising for the media who could show pictures of the Ron Paul blimp and crowds on the ground taking swings at the money bomb pinatas. And of course the dollars inside would have Ron Paul stamped, and writen all over it - with a big "NO" emblem crossing out the FED emblem which is on the left side of the portrait on all notes. When the kids and people rush in to get the money they will also grab some Ron Paul literature that will be attached to the notes.

i think that the importance of symbolism in our planning and activities should not be overlooked...., or underestimated.

If the pinatas don't fly with y'all......there's nothing stopping a few of us from filling some crates with dollars and making our way to the quay with the media in tow for some money dumping...;)

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I think throwing away real money like you get 100 $1 bills for $100, would be the most environmentally friendly. Why? Because none of it would remain in the water for long. You'd have hords of people (homeless and such) jumping in after them. The bay would be cleaner then when we found it (scouts motto).

Yeah, except for the homeless bodies floating around who drowned while swimming after the bills.

I'm still not sure why we need to burn things or dump stuff in the water or litter from a blimp. Are you all going to dress as American Indians like the original Tea Party as well?

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 10:34 AM
2. The teaparty07 site which the media will base their stories on, mentions that this is a protest againt an inflation tax. What better way of making the point that the dollar is becoming worthless than by voluntarily dumping our own money into the water(or throwing it in the air, or burning it, or whatever). This is our money and if we want to make a political statement with it buy burning it, or giving it away, that is our choice, you may want to use your money buy donating to Ron Paul and that is political speech too, just a different (more practical) form. (This is a stunt to make a point not an excercise in efficiency).

Deliberately destroying or defacing currency is a federal crime, you know.

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is:

United States Secret Service
950 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20223.

Besides, you will be helping the Federal Reserve to prop up its sagging dollar. And you'll also give them a legal excuse to print more money to replace that which they estimate (but don't have to prove) that you destroyed.

Don't help the Fed by burning money publicly.

12-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Deliberately destroying or defacing currency is a federal crime, you know.

Besides, you will be helping the Federal Reserve to prop up its sagging dollar. And you'll also give them a legal excuse to print more money to replace that which they estimate (but don't have to prove) that you destroyed.

Don't help the Fed by burning money publicly.
As an anarchist, what can i say about the objection that this would violate Federal Law?... Besides that completly misses the point, IMHO

The point about destroying dollars actually justifing the Fed to print more is interesting. However, i think you might have just provided some ammo against your cause. ;)
From a PR perspective we could say that we are destroying dollars because we are personally trying to help stop inflation by destroying our dollars so that the dollar as a whole is more rare and hence more valueable. Explaining this to the media would in itself help to illustrate our perspective that inflation is caused by the FED contrary to what they would have us believe.
That is coming at this from a completely opposite direction but both the "Boycott" gimick, and the "Patriotic - destroy your money to help boost the value of the dollar" gimick, might work equally well.

1913_to_2008
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
At first I thought "why do they want to dump something from the blimp!, they should just be happy to get the dam thing in the air" but, since the tea party dumped the tea because of the tax protest.

I think we should dump some fake federal reserve notes. This stunt is all about publicity and getting the media to cover the blimp and the tea party. (Maybe not right in the water???)

The average American doesn't even realize that our money is a Federal Reserve Reserve note. Maybe this will cause attention to that fact. Also, the media may actually report that the RP supporters are protesting the inflation tax.

This will no doubt get more RP supporters and help the cause!

BeFranklin
12-01-2007, 11:26 AM
We can dump already shredded notes into the harbor. This emphasis's the mortality of our money, and that its just paper.

From federal reserve:
How is U.S. currency destroyed when it is removed from circulation?

Currency processing and authentication machines at Federal Reserve Bank cash offices determine whether the currency received from circulation is genuine and fit for recirculation. If a note is genuine but too worn for recirculation, the note is shredded. The shredded notes are sent to landfills or packaged and provided as souvenirs to the public during tours of the Federal Reserve Banks.

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 11:46 AM
The point about destroying dollars actually justifing the Fed to print more is interesting. However, i think you might have just provided some ammo against your cause. ;)
From a PR perspective we could say that we are destroying dollars because we are personally trying to help stop inflation by destroying our dollars so that the dollar as a whole is more rare and hence more valueable. Explaining this to the media would in itself help to illustrate our perspective that inflation is caused by the FED contrary to what they would have us believe.

Okay. You charmed me with anarchist rhetoric.

But I think you probably know that we need to appeal to the straights, the Mom and Pop voters of the GOP. Being filled with bourgeois civic virtue inculcated in the public schools, they would never burn their currency so they won't think much of us making some point about monetary policy by burning ours. And it goes so much against the grain of working class folks we're trying to appeal to.

Besides, imagine the media writing articles about "no wonder Ron Paul's weird supporters give him so much money since they just burn theirs anyway." It's not a nice thing. I think it would detract from the wholesome eco-friendly blimp event but maybe that's just me.

There really have to be better ways to stage events for RP than to burn money or spam people from the Blimp.

We need votes from conservative types in IA/NH a lot more than a few sensational headlines.

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
At first I thought "why do they want to dump something from the blimp!, they should just be happy to get the dam thing in the air" but, since the tea party dumped the tea because of the tax protest.

The issue was taxation without representation in England's Parliament. No one can say if the colonies would have remained loyal had they been granted voting seats in London. I think the independence movement would have found another reason to rebel anyway. Those colonial Presbyterians were quite radical, much as they were in the Genevan republic. And good for them.

Charles Wilson
12-01-2007, 03:35 PM
As for throwing things out of the blimp into the harber, how about live turkeys -- like Rudi Julie Anne, John McCane, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney, etc. Sorry, I could not help myserlf :o).

As for the firework display, count me in. I will be happy to donate if it is legal.

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
As for throwing things out of the blimp into the harber, how about live turkeys -- like Rudi Julie Anne, John McCane, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney, etc. Sorry, I could not help myserlf :o).

You are a bad bad man. LOL.