PDA

View Full Version : D.C. Government May Subsidize Pot for Poor

Origanalist
08-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Government health officials in Washington, D.C., may foot the bill for medical marijuana for the city’s poorest patients, according to a new rule proposed by the Department of Health.
In a public notice filed last week and first reported by the Washington Times, the city DOH proposed a rule that would mandate that medical marijuana dispensaries adjust the price of pot on a sliding scale for patients who cannot afford it.
The dispensaries would have to use 2 percent of their revenue in order to make up for the difference in price, according to the rule. Patients who could prove to the city that they earned 200 percent or less of federal poverty level wages could qualify to purchase medical marijuana on a sliding scale.
The pot would have to be discounted at least 20 percent, the rule states.
According to the Times, medical marijuana currently costs $380 to $440 an ounce in the city, which allowed sales to begin last month.
The Department of Health did not immediately return calls requesting comment from ABC News.
The rule is set to take effect in 30 days.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/d-c-government-may-subsidize-pot-for-poor/

JK/SEA
08-25-2013, 10:56 AM
but wait...isn't pot possession and usage a Federal offense?

Origanalist
08-25-2013, 10:57 AM

It's very confusing.

JK/SEA
08-25-2013, 11:00 AM
It's very confusing.

yeah..i'd like to have some of what they're smoking...:D

bolil
08-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Federal buds are TERRIBLE, which any product without actual competition usually becomes.

The grey market development of marijuana has a good argument for free markets in it, I just can't spell it out.

Sola_Fide
08-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Not if the government is the drug provider, which is their goal. They will do everything but legalize freedom.

kcchiefs6465
08-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Odd thread title.

Here I thought weeds grew wild and without much care.

Come to find out only the government is wise and able enough to provide the sick with medicine.

Hopefully it isn't that bullshit UMISS is growing.

kcchiefs6465
08-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Four hundred dollars an ounce.

Only the government is that effective at creating monopolies.

Competing business and the ceasing of regulations and that same ounce would be under a hundred bucks. Not to mention they don't let people give it away, God forbid someone think of themselves as charitable. MMS if you can't abide by their laws and pay your extortions.

Working Poor
08-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I remember when really good pot cost $10 an oz. The war on drugs raised it to $20 an oz. It has gone up and up. Another reason I have for not smoking it is cost. Maybe when most of the states have made it semi- legal the black market will come back with a price reduction.

presence
08-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I remember when really good pot cost $10 an oz. The war on drugs raised it to $20 an oz. It has gone up and up. Another reason I have for not smoking it is cost. Maybe when most of the states have made it semi- legal the black market will come back with a price reduction.

If people were allowed to plant seeds in their own back yard it would still be worth $10 / oz.

satchelmcqueen
08-25-2013, 03:18 PM
i overheard friends talking about buying pot a year ago. they said it was about $100 an ounce. is this true? if so, wow at the almost $400 in the article.

Cabal
08-25-2013, 03:19 PM

I've never heard of any "really good pot" costing $10/oz. Schwag maybe, though even it usually pulls a street price of at least $20-$40, even back in the 90s. "Really good pot" OTOH tends to run in the $300-400/oz range.

libertyjam
08-25-2013, 03:48 PM
I've never heard of any "really good pot" costing $10/oz. Schwag maybe, though even it usually pulls a street price of at least $20-$40, even back in the 90s. "Really good pot" OTOH tends to run in the $300-400/oz range.

I guess you wouldn't know what a lid is then either....

dannno
08-25-2013, 03:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDAK8lL0WYU

ClydeCoulter
08-25-2013, 03:57 PM

3 or 4 finger?

mad cow
08-25-2013, 04:02 PM

I guess you think all them hippies back in the '60s were only imagining they were stoned.

Of course,you could buy a troy ounce of gold back then for $35.
I shoulda bought the gold. :(

libertyjam
08-25-2013, 04:04 PM
3 or 4 finger?

4, always 4! maybe 5 even.

kcchiefs6465
08-25-2013, 04:13 PM
i overheard friends talking about buying pot a year ago. they said it was about $100 an ounce. is this true? if so, wow at the almost $400 in the article.
You can find smokeable cannabis for 100 dollars an ounce. It will have some seeds but will be alright.

Medicinal cannabis costs 300-400 dollars an ounce. The prices are that high because of the prohibition of it and that they want their taxes. If people could grow as many plants as they wanted and there was no regulation on the weed, prices would be probably 20 dollars an ounce. Of course anyone who actually wanted some would just grow their own so who knows. People would practically be giving medicine away.

I have read of people being imprisoned for that. For giving medicine away to sick people. Long prison terms for infringing on extortion rackets and having the audacity of thinking they were doing good.

Cabal
08-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I guess you think all them hippies back in the '60s were only imagining they were stoned.

Of course,you could buy a troy ounce of gold back then for $35.
I shoulda bought the gold. :(

I don't doubt they were stoned, but I can't really comment on the quality variance of the product. I can only say that the people I know who lived and used back then say that the quality of the product has dramatically increased since then. That coupled with standard effects of inflation and you have a change in market valuations that has little to do with any sort of product-specific regulation.

The Bavarian
08-25-2013, 04:25 PM
so... uhh... lol?

mad cow
08-25-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't doubt they were stoned, but I can't really comment on the quality variance of the product. I can only say that the people I know who lived and used back then say that the quality of the product has dramatically increased since then. That coupled with standard effects of inflation and you have a change in market valuations that has little to do with any sort of product-specific regulation.

I think most of it can be laid at the feet of inflation.Or taxation.It was just as illegal back then.
You could also buy a luxury or economy car or a three bedroom house,pack of cigarettes,gallon of gas or a candy bar for<10% of the price today.

Not that I disagree that pot might be more potent today,but it would get you plenty stoned back then and it cost $10/oz.

CaptUSA
08-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Oh great! Here comes the marijuana bubble!

Cleaner44
08-25-2013, 05:13 PM

My older step siblings would use the term but I still don't really know how much it is. I was in high school in the early 80s and it wasn't a term we used.

libertyjam
08-25-2013, 05:32 PM
My older step siblings would use the term but I still don't really know how much it is. I was in high school in the early 80s and it wasn't a term we used.

generally the use AWKI was 1 lid = 1oz, or a general approximation thereof, as you saw could be associated with the finger measurement system. Of course more seeds and stems- less fingers- lower quality.

bolil
08-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Its a step up from subsidizing jail cells.

kcchiefs6465
08-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Its a step up from subsidizing jail cells.
Have one of those people try to grow seven plants instead of the allowed six. Or give their medicine away.

I doubt the amount of money being pumped in the prison industry was affected by their decision.

Keith and stuff
08-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Maybe not if the Feds are doing it. There was a Penn and Teller episode about the federal program where the federal government gives other federal medical marijuana patients marijuana.

devil21
08-25-2013, 08:08 PM
It really is a bizarre state of affairs when the DC gov't will subsidize medical mj for the poor while the DEA orders armored truck companies to stop transporting money for medical mj dispensaries on the other side of the country. Interesting times we live in....

ClydeCoulter
08-25-2013, 08:13 PM
It really is a bizarre state of affairs when the DC gov't will subsidize medical mj for the poor while the DEA orders armored truck companies to stop transporting money for medical mj dispensaries on the other side of the country. Interesting times we live in....

I guess that's one way to put it. :)

Origanalist
08-25-2013, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDAK8lL0WYU

But did you get Acapulco Gold for ten bucks a ounce? Mexican shake and sometimes some decent stuff but the better stuff and Tia stick usually ran a bit more.

bolil
08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Have one of those people try to grow seven plants instead of the allowed six. Or give their medicine away.

I doubt the amount of money being pumped in the prison industry was affected by their decision.

No, that is why they call it 'medical', a term I've been against from the beginning.

seraphson
08-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Nothing new...that is...having The State subsidize something to make it cheaper while at the same time spending countless tax dollars and regulations fighting it/making it more expensive...e.g. The farm/corn/hfcs industry.

devil21
08-26-2013, 03:17 AM

I guess that's one way to put it. :)

Will the DEA chiefs jump into a van with body armor and an AR and ride 3 blocks to bust the mmj dispensary? Ha....I'd love to see it.