PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Op-Ed: At last, common sense about Egyptian aid

tsai3904
08-23-2013, 11:26 AM
At last, common sense about Egyptian aid

Distinguishing friend from foe must precede further armament

By Sen. Rand Paul
August 23, 2013

As the tragic situation in Egypt continues to deteriorate, President Obama has delayed the delivery of F-16 fighter jets and canceled scheduled joint military maneuvers, and members of Congress are now having second thoughts about sending military aid.

These are welcome developments, not only because situations on the ground in Egypt require adjusting our policy, but also because common sense seems to have made some progress in Washington, at least on this issue.

When I introduced an amendment last month that would have stopped aid to Egypt during this time of unrest, it was for two primary reasons: First, U.S. law states that when a coup takes place, American aid must be suspended. By any conventional definition, what has happened in Egypt qualifies as a coup. We either have laws, or we do not.

Second, a nation in the midst of a violent civil war should not be killing one another with American-supplied weapons. The F-16s we once gave to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak were used against the protesters who would eventually overthrow his regime. Those protesters were part of the forces that would eventually elect President Mohammed Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood. Now that regime is gone, but the American weapons remain.

Who will use them now — friend or foe? What can we expect the average Egyptian citizen to think of the United States at this point?

More:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/23/paul-at-last-common-sense-about-egyptian-aid/

cajuncocoa
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm guessing the ones who opposed Rand on this from the beginning must feel like idiots right about now.

FrankRep
08-23-2013, 11:38 AM
The government is only using foreign aid as a weapon, as soon as Egypt does what the U.S. government wants, the U.S. will continue to give foreign to Egypt again.

specsaregood
08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
The government is only using foreign aid as a weapon, as soon as Egypt does what the U.S. government wants, the U.S. will continue to give foreign to Egypt again.

At least we can get past the pretense that it was ever anything other than a weapon or bribe. Besides, let's get it stopped ( a huge milestone), then force the sonsofdogs to have to start it up again. I'd rather be in the position of no aid, and fighting them starting it back up rather than the opposite.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-23-2013, 01:19 PM
This is being downplayed by the establishment media.

Icymudpuppy
08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm guessing the ones who opposed Rand on this from the beginning must feel like idiots right about now.

That would assume they have any self responsibility.

ManOfSteel
08-23-2013, 03:01 PM
#winning

libertarian101
08-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I don’t think this is a good op-ed. Mocking his colleagues for changing their views and agreeing with him makes him look like he’s narcissist. Anyway either Rand don’t pay attention to the media or he has bad awareness on political situations. The real reason people like McCain and others are changing their tune is not because Rand convinced them by merits but that there is a real push by the Neo con right & left (including MSNBC) to get American involved in Syria conflict very shortly and this is their way of throwing a bone at Rand. If Rand is committed to oppose AIPAC on Syria and Iran intervention as well as on Egypt aid it will be good but i don’t think he will be brave enough to do that. If Rand have to compromise on one issue, he should compromise on Egypt aid. He should stop wasting so much energy and political capital on this nonissue 1.6 billion (which by the way helps protects Coptic Christians from Muslim brotherhood mob as well as maintain Israel-Egypt peace treaty) and go all in on Syria and Iran and oppose military invention there.

libertarian101
08-23-2013, 06:03 PM

BlackTerrel
08-23-2013, 07:11 PM

This.

Rand keeps looking better and better on this.

ManOfSteel
08-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I don’t think this is a good op-ed. Mocking his colleagues for changing their views and agreeing with him makes him look like he’s narcissist. Anyway either Rand don’t pay attention to the media or he has bad awareness on political situations. The real reason people like McCain and others are changing their tune is not because Rand convinced them by merits but that there is a real push by the Neo con right & left (including MSNBC) to get American involved in Syria conflict very shortly and this is their way of throwing a bone at Rand. If Rand is committed to oppose AIPAC on Syria and Iran intervention as well as on Egypt aid it will be good but i don’t think he will be brave enough to do that. If Rand have to compromise on one issue, he should compromise on Egypt aid. He should stop wasting so much energy and political capital on this nonissue 1.6 billion (which by the way helps protects Coptic Christians from Muslim brotherhood mob as well as maintain Israel-Egypt peace treaty) and go all in on Syria and Iran and oppose military invention there.

Go away.