PDA

View Full Version : 8 Reasons young Americans don't fight back

shane77m
08-23-2013, 10:39 AM
This is from Adam Kokesh's Farcebook page. Each reason has an explanation in the article. I would disagree a little with the religion part but I do see some truth in it as well.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/news/8_reasons_young_americans_dont_fight_back_how_the_ us_crushed_youth_resistance/#.UhaC9orgeSg.facebook

Traditionally, young people have energized democratic movements. So it is a major coup for the ruling elite to have created societal institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance to domination.

Young Americans—even more so than older Americans—appear to have acquiesced to the idea that the corporatocracy can completely screw them and that they are helpless to do anything about it. A 2010 Gallup poll asked Americans “Do you think the Social Security system will be able to pay you a benefit when you retire?” Among 18- to 34-years-olds, 76 percent of them said no. Yet despite their lack of confidence in the availability of Social Security for them, few have demanded it be shored up by more fairly payroll-taxing the wealthy; most appear resigned to having more money deducted from their paychecks for Social Security, even though they don’t believe it will be around to benefit them.

How exactly has American society subdued young Americans?

1. Student-Loan Debt
2. Psychopathologizing and Medicating Noncompliance
3. Schools That Educate for Compliance and Not for Democracy
4. “No Child Left Behind” and “Race to the Top.”
5. Shaming Young People Who Take Education—But Not Their Schooling—Seriously.
6. The Normalization of Surveillance
7. Television
8. Fundamentalist Religion and Fundamentalist Consumerism

Christian Liberty
08-23-2013, 10:41 AM
As a Baptist, there's some truth to the religion part, there is a little bit of a Romans 13 issue, for one thing. Although, I'm convinced that if its interpreted in the traditional way, it falls apart.

Regarding social security, I'm opposed to "More fairly" taxing the wealthy. I do favor pulling the plug, now, anyone who might suffer from that being out of luck. "Thou shall not steal" applies, and that someone is depending on a thief to put food on the table doesn't make theft justified.

I really hope churches and charities would fill the gap there, but it doesn't matter either, the programs should be cut regardless.

Czolgosz
08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
237 years of nobody fighting back.

shane77m
08-23-2013, 10:53 AM
237 years of nobody fighting back.

you bring up a good point. people should have fought back long before the advent of television or modern psychiatry.

enhanced_deficit
08-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Grooming is starting early lately.

http://img.indyposted.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/CARGO-SCAN-PERVERTS-KID1.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=4JhBTtLdawAZCM&tbnid=pL_wtwi3htrbZM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indyposted.com%2F129055%2F4th-amendment-full-body-scanner-clothing%2F&ei=aLEXUtXDHYnn2QWT7oH4Dg&bvm=bv.51156542,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNEyHIQ_KXkRmL_zJdhxQDMynRWwJQ&ust=1377370836278497)http://kccheckpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/NFL-x-large.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=taL7UmECcvdcBM&tbnid=_xXT8VCTXCAhVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkccheckpoint.com%2F2011%2F09%2F16 %2Fdhs-checkpoints-now-at-nfl-stadiums-joe-six-pack-is-now-a-suspected-terrorist%2F&ei=8LIXUvO-Aoi09gTg5IDYDQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNGJnH1yXOzcB4-Li17qiTZS3DSWHw&ust=1377371242534068)
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.144237.1313992856%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alg-tsa-baby-jpg.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=tNsX-bQX1J_CqM&tbnid=TFA0uKiIqnx7HM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnews%2Fnati onal%2Fpoop-bomb-photo-showing-tsa-agents-modified-pat-down-baby-stir-article-1.144236&ei=v7EXUtzZNOiW2gX1woDgDQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNEyHIQ_KXkRmL_zJdhxQDMynRWwJQ&ust=1377370836278497)

buck000
08-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Add

9. School "lockdowns."

;)

Antischism
08-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Lots of truth there. And ultimately, I think a lot of people are too involved either in their own lives/interpersonal relationships and work, or living vicariously through reality TV stars to ever consider doing something to change the status quo. A sense of safety and ignorance from reality is comfort for many.

Cutlerzzz
08-23-2013, 02:39 PM
More fairly payroll taxing the wealthy? As in, force them to pay tens of thousands extra every year in payroll taxes for no benefit to them?

Tywysog Cymru
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
you bring up a good point. people should have fought back long before the advent of television or modern psychiatry.

there wasn't the technology to make surveillance as prevalent back then as it is today.

heavenlyboy34
08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Lots of truth there. And ultimately, I think a lot of people are too involved either in their own lives/interpersonal relationships and work, or living vicariously through reality TV stars to ever consider doing something to change the status quo. A sense of safety and ignorance from reality is comfort for many.
I notice this as well. Who has time to pay attention to everything the regime is doing when you have to work 2 jobs just to make a decent living and then take care of teh kids. This is another reason republicanism (small r) is just not a realistic goal long term

DamianTV
08-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Just about every single aspect of society is designed with the intent of preventing people from thinking for themselves and instead thinking only what they are told to think.

You are not smart or strong enough to think for yourself.
You are not safe without total surveillance.
You are not moral enough to be your own authority.
You are not worthy enough to act for yourself.
You are not worthy of anything unless you are completely obedient.
You are not worth anything unless you get good grades.
You are not good looking unless you have the most expensive shit.
You are not valuable enough unless you have shitloads of money.
You are not important enough to respect your Constitutional Rights.
You are not defined by what you think but by what you own.

These are just some of the things that are taught in school. School is nothing more than a means to completely tear down children on an individual level and build them back up as the School deems fit. Does anyone not believe that the Lobbyists use their extraordinary levels of money to influence the way that children are taught? What they are taught to do is to feel good when someone else tells them something about themselves that makes them feel good. Emotional Dependancy and Total Narcisism. It is no wonder that these kids flock to facebook. They go there so that they can have those warm and fuzzy feelings by reinforcing what they are taught in school. They have zero self confidence and are completely dependant on everyone around them to make positive expressions of them. They are addicted to getting the approval of others and very rarely feel that their opinions of themselvs should be based on what they think of themselves. This way of thinking causes them to believe what ever they are told to believe.

School is good.
Surveillance is safety.
Stuff defines who you are.
Authority is always moral.
Cops are your friends.
Politicians never lie.
Banks are honest.
Slavery = Freedom, etc.

The things they are punished for is breaking the molds that are forcibly spoon fed to them by nearly every figure of authority. Doctors will tell children that they know more about what is wrong with them than they should ever be allowed to conclude for themselves. You need these pills to behave correctly. When children start to question the word of authority as the complete bullshit for what it is, these students are typically ostracized by both the Educational Staff as well as the other students. So either one of two things happens. One: they grow into the mold of being the stupid consumer, or... Two: they are indoctrinated and prepared for a Life in Prison. Anyone who starts showing signs of true self confidence by rejecting the ideas imposed on them by everyone around them is going to have to fight an uphill battle. Imagine for a split second some aspect of yourself that causes you to be rejected by everyone you know. If you are religious, imagine that all your friends were the exact opposite of what you are. If you are gay, imagine everyone in your life believed that gays should burn in hell. Now imagine that you are five years old and are rejected by something you conclude for yourself. Schools dont prohibit Bullying, Schools ARE the Bullies. And the more authority that a person has, the harder those feelings of rejection are to deal with.

Self Confidence is punished.
Self Evaluation is a Crime.

What is taught is a complete System of Dependancy on all figures of Authority.

heavenlyboy34
08-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Just about every single aspect of society is designed with the intent of preventing people from thinking for themselves and instead thinking only what they are told to think.

You are not smart or strong enough to think for yourself.
You are not safe without total surveillance.
You are not moral enough to be your own authority.
You are not worthy enough to act for yourself.
You are not worthy of anything unless you are completely obedient.
You are not worth anything unless you get good grades.
You are not good looking unless you have the most expensive shit.
You are not valuable enough unless you have shitloads of money.
You are not important enough to respect your Constitutional Rights.
You are not defined by what you think but by what you own.

These are just some of the things that are taught in school. School is nothing more than a means to completely tear down children on an individual level and build them back up as the School deems fit. Does anyone not believe that the Lobbyists use their extraordinary levels of money to influence the way that children are taught? What they are taught to do is to feel good when someone else tells them something about themselves that makes them feel good. Emotional Dependancy and Total Narcisism. It is no wonder that these kids flock to facebook. They go there so that they can have those warm and fuzzy feelings by reinforcing what they are taught in school. They have zero self confidence and are completely dependant on everyone around them to make positive expressions of them. They are addicted to getting the approval of others and very rarely feel that their opinions of themselvs should be based on what they think of themselves. This way of thinking causes them to believe what ever they are told to believe.

School is good.
Surveillance is safety.
Stuff defines who you are.
Authority is always moral.
Cops are your friends.
Politicians never lie.
Banks are honest.
Slavery = Freedom, etc.

The things they are punished for is breaking the molds that are forcibly spoon fed to them by nearly every figure of authority. Doctors will tell children that they know more about what is wrong with them than they should ever be allowed to conclude for themselves. You need these pills to behave correctly. When children start to question the word of authority as the complete bullshit for what it is, these students are typically ostracized by both the Educational Staff as well as the other students. So either one of two things happens. One: they grow into the mold of being the stupid consumer, or... Two: they are indoctrinated and prepared for a Life in Prison. Anyone who starts showing signs of true self confidence by rejecting the ideas imposed on them by everyone around them is going to have to fight an uphill battle. Imagine for a split second some aspect of yourself that causes you to be rejected by everyone you know. If you are religious, imagine that all your friends were the exact opposite of what you are. If you are gay, imagine everyone in your life believed that gays should burn in hell. Now imagine that you are five years old and are rejected by something you conclude for yourself. Schools dont prohibit Bullying, Schools ARE the Bullies. And the more authority that a person has, the harder those feelings of rejection are to deal with.

Self Confidence is punished.
Self Evaluation is a Crime.

What is taught is a complete System of Dependancy on all figures of Authority.
Indeed. The regime actually managed to improve on the Prussian system of schooling after adopting it 100+ years ago (by "improved" I mean making the corruption of youth more effective.)

DamianTV
08-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Indeed. The regime actually managed to improve on the Prussian system of schooling after adopting it 100+ years ago (by "improved" I mean making the corruption of youth more effective.)

Judge Sends Mother To Jail For Truancy
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425126-Judge-Sends-Mother-To-Jail-For-Truancy

willwash
08-23-2013, 04:52 PM
VIDEO GAMES

DamianTV
08-23-2013, 05:00 PM
VIDEO GAMES

There is more to it than just saying "Video Games". Please explain specifically what is wrong with Video Games.

willwash
08-23-2013, 05:14 PM
There is more to it than just saying "Video Games". Please explain specifically what is wrong with Video Games.

Nothing is wrong with video games in and of themselves. It's just when many of the smartest young Americans are spending 2, 3, 4 or more hours per day glued to Call of Duty part 57, they aren't paying attention to or caring about the very real problems we face.
So I could rephrase by saying it's not the video games themselves, but whatever it is about our culture that encourages/rewards the excessive consumption of those video games.
Also guilty is popular entertainment in all its forms. Audition-style reality TV (I actually formulated a quasi-conspiracy theory about this phenomenon once--that the establishment didn't want maverick celebrities popping up out of nowhere that they didn't know and couldn't control, so they set up these audition shows and picked the winners to make sure they had control over who from the prole masses acquired a large and powerful pulpit from which to preach--then I realized it's just that it's a lot cheaper to film a bunch of idiots fighting with each other than it is to write an interesting story).

Sports too. Don't get me wrong. Sports are great. I'd love to see our kids playing more sports and less video games. But the tribalism that arises among followers of professional sports boggles me. Many people really think that victory for "their" tribe in sports is more important than fixing our government--and so they pay attention only to pro sports, not thinking about the fact that their government is bankrupt even though it's taking half their money.

DamianTV
08-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Nothing is wrong with video games in and of themselves. It's just when many of the smartest young Americans are spending 2, 3, 4 or more hours per day glued to Call of Duty part 57, they aren't paying attention to or caring about the very real problems we face.
So I could rephrase by saying it's not the video games themselves, but whatever it is about our culture that encourages/rewards the excessive consumption of those video games.
Also guilty is popular entertainment in all its forms. Audition-style reality TV (I actually formulated a quasi-conspiracy theory about this phenomenon once--that the establishment didn't want maverick celebrities popping up out of nowhere that they didn't know and couldn't control, so they set up these audition shows and picked the winners to make sure they had control over who from the prole masses acquired a large and powerful pulpit from which to preach--then I realized it's just that it's a lot cheaper to film a bunch of idiots fighting with each other than it is to write an interesting story).

Sports too. Don't get me wrong. Sports are great. I'd love to see our kids playing more sports and less video games. But the tribalism that arises among followers of professional sports boggles me. Many people really think that victory for "their" tribe in sports is more important than fixing our government--and so they pay attention only to pro sports, not thinking about the fact that their government is bankrupt even though it's taking half their money.

There ya go. Not only that, but I believe this to be +Rep worthy.

One thing specifically about both Video Games and Media War Stories that has always bothered me is that I dont think I've ever actually encountered a scenario in either forms of the medium where the true causes of War are explained. Ever. Most times they are summarized by "them being the bad guys and the player is the good guy". If they add any detail to it, it is usually just "they're terrorists", but most of the time, the storytellers just skirt around the issue of why their fictional war was started. However its told, it is nearly always "we are right and they are wrong". Even MGS. Well, MGS is so convoluted that I dont think anyone really has any understanding of Why. Instead, they are just occupied with skipping the story and going right back to killing people who were born elsewhere because they are in your way. Id probably give my left nut to see one Triple A Title cite Banks as the major cause for ANY of their fictional wars.

I had to exclude Books because kids dont read Books anymore. They read Facebook, and well, thats about it. Sure their given Books in School, but I think we all know what a sham School is.

Natural Citizen
08-23-2013, 05:50 PM
there wasn't the technology to make surveillance as prevalent back then as it is today.

This is a very good statement that you make here. And it changes the terms of controversy which beg a completely different question offered in the op.

heavenlyboy34
08-23-2013, 06:06 PM

There are lots of individualist sports to enjoy! :D Swimming, track, martial arts, etc etc. :cool:

paulbot24
08-23-2013, 06:39 PM
There are lots of individualist sports to enjoy! :D Swimming, track, martial arts, etc etc. :cool:

Interesting that Putin is a black belt in judo and karate. Meanwhile our President plays basketball. Well, then again, golf is an individualist sport......

P.S. A huge +rep for DamianTV's post#11 above. Incredible.

DamianTV
08-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Interesting that Putin is a black belt in judo and karate. Meanwhile our President plays basketball. Well, then again, golf is an individualist sport......

Thank you!

One thing about both Sports and Grades is that it is always about reinforcing the idea of Competition over Cooperation. Even on Teams, there is always another Team to compete with. The basis of Divide and Conquer.

LibForestPaul
08-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Tell that to former Stasi members.

Mundanes want this world. simple

WM_in_MO
08-23-2013, 09:22 PM

As someone who gained a lot of confidence in his ability through sports I do take a bit of umbrage at your statement.

However as someone who does fantasy leagues I do see the nuts going at it over shit that doesn't matter, and I think "Why do you get so worked up?"

heavenlyboy34
08-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Thank you!

One thing about both Sports and Grades is that it is always about reinforcing the idea of Competition over Cooperation. Even on Teams, there is always another Team to compete with. The basis of Divide and Conquer.
Meh. I've always looked at competitions as encouragement to improve. Much like various market incentives for entrepreneurs. On the other hand, government always causes a race to the bottom.

heavenlyboy34
08-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Vlad's judo is awesome. :) I didn't know he knew karate as well, though. :cool: A Dan grade takes a long ass time to get, so good for him. :)

Americans1st
08-23-2013, 09:37 PM
9.) Spending all day on the internuts instead of meeting up in real life.

xkrazy201x
08-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I don't get how Fundamentalist Consumerism is conjoined with Fundamentalist Religion, in particular, Reformed Theology.

"All varieties of fundamentalism narrow one’s focus and inhibit critical thinking. While some progressives are fond of calling fundamentalist religion the “opiate of the masses,” they too often neglect the pacifying nature of America’s other major fundamentalism."

First, how can the author claim all varieties of fundamentalism inhibits critical thinking when the Reformation was a striking example of questioning belief tenets by means of critically thinking? Second, does the author agree with progressive liberals? He doesn't condemn them for using the cliche "religion is the opiate of the masses," instead, he goes further on to say how they don't see the full picture. The progressives, according to the author, should broaden their objection of religious fundamentalism to other labels that have the key word fundamentalism. Apparently the progressives don't go far enough.

nobody's_hero
08-24-2013, 02:03 AM

I completely get what you're saying. 'Bread and circuses'. But when I read this I couldn't help but think about how tribal politics is.

There are only two occasions I can think of when humans show themselves to be truly vicious. After a sports game when their team doesn't win, or after an election when their team doesn't win. Well, sometimes they're vicious when their team does win.

DamianTV
08-24-2013, 06:33 AM
People become vicious for lots of reasons. But sports and competitions is one of the few times it is encouraged because of the reasonable limits.

Lets see Govt ever try to behave reasonably. Everyone knows they wont, unless there is some form or method to hold them accountable for purposeful and intentional misactions.