PDA

View Full Version : Millennials Love Living With Their Parents [Infographic]

presence
08-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Millennials Love Living With Their Parents [Infographic] (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-08/millennials-love-living-their-parents)
http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/living-with-parents-young-adults-taking-longer-to-leave-the-nest-than-before_5213da32230f3.png

VIDEODROME
08-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Lived on my own for about 10 years after graduating High School in 1995. Lost that job.

Started over doing trucking for 4 years and experienced getting blown over by a severe wind storm.

Mom offered to help me go back to college because she thinks commercial driving will get me killed. So....living with parents again while finishing up an Associates Degree so hoping thing works out.

I'm just tossing this example out to show that it is tough to move out and stay out there. I can't imagine how hard it must be for younger people trying to break into industry with an entry level job. Employers these days make high demands for experience or degrees or certifications for supposedly entry level jobs.

I can believe it's tempting to aim low, work a crap job, but save money living with roommates or parents so that you can still put money in the bank. Maybe on the side put that money into occupational training like welding, engine repair, or HVAC.

Icymudpuppy
08-22-2013, 08:33 PM
What's the difference between "Living Alone" and "Independent Living Arrangement"?

MelissaWV
08-22-2013, 08:41 PM
What's the difference between "Living Alone" and "Independent Living Arrangement"?

I think the latter is meant to imply some kind of roommate situation.

I also love how this graphic depends on one's inability to read. There is this huge swap where they put the "living with parents" graphic at the top in 2007... when it went up by 1%, and was actually on par with the 1970s number. The difference here isn't people living at home with their parents, really (that percentage seems fairly steady). The difference is the drop in married/head of household persons within the group. Maybe they are waiting longer to get married, attempting college, etc..

As for "loving" living at home with parents? That is a hell of an inference. There is a stereotype of the lazy slob 20 or 30 -something living in their parents' basement. What isn't discussed in this graphic is the number of people in that age group who are having to head home and help the parents take care of things. I am living with mine, and helping pay down their debt, not to mention paying the new bills as well. They are both retired but no one really taught them about what happens when they charge every little thing and never pay. Their affairs were not the least bit in order, nor were my grandmother's. It is something I feel an obligation to do, but it's not something I love. I'd rather they'd been able to retire and manage their own bills.

kathy88
08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Left to go to college and never lived at home again. Even summers.

08-22-2013, 09:14 PM
I blame the parents.

I left at 21 and never went back. I can't imagine living with your parents in your 20's and 30's, how awkward must that be?

tangent4ronpaul
08-22-2013, 09:15 PM
What isn't discussed in this graphic is the number of people in that age group who are having to head home and help the parents take care of things. I am living with mine, and helping pay down their debt, not to mention paying the new bills as well. They are both retired but no one really taught them about what happens when they charge every little thing and never pay. Their affairs were not the least bit in order, nor were my grandmother's. It is something I feel an obligation to do, but it's not something I love. I'd rather they'd been able to retire and manage their own bills.

I see a lot more of this lately. It seems like the gvmt is pushing the older generation into insolvency. Medical costs skyrocketing largely due to regulation, the value of the dollar shrinking due to market manipulation and printing money, Social Security going bankrupt (I got a letter a few years ago from them saying the the program is expected to have a shortfall, so to expect only 70-75% of what I would normally get back and that I should make other plans to make up for this). The total dis-incentive to save as between the interest rate and the devaluing dollar, any money saved looses value. The push for everyone to use plastic...

Seems like the gvmt is pushing the population onto the Mexican model - pump out a lot of kids in the hopes that one will live long enough to take care of you in your old age.

-t

fr33
08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I blame the parents.

I left at 21 and never went back. I can't imagine living with your parents in your 20's and 30's, how awkward must that be?

For me it would be hell on earth. ;)

I<3Liberty
08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Living with parents in the 60's versus today, only grew by 4%. The largest jump (independent living by 21%) is totally understandable because it is cheaper (and more fun :D) to live with others in a house or multi-bedroom apartment than by yourself in a studio apartment.

I stayed with my parents over the summer while I worked three part-time jobs. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it's better than paying outlandish amounts of money to live in a cramped apartment, another several hundred dollars for parking, and all the other fees that come with living in a metro area.

VIDEODROME
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Usually, it's not bad and I will help around the house.

Often though, it can be awkward and annoying.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-23-2013, 10:56 AM
i never understood the concept of moving away from your family that has raised you for 2 decades to live with complete strangers.

dannno
08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
i never understood the concept of moving away from your family that has raised you for 2 decades to live with complete strangers.

Prevent inbreeding?

kahless
08-23-2013, 11:28 AM

People are more reserved in their political opinions when surrounded by strangers. This is why the government backed by the MSM and Entertainment industry demonize those that live with families. The family and religion are a great threat to the establishment. They will do all they can to destroy the two and make government central to the life of the individual.

I<3Liberty
08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Usually, it's not bad and I will help around the house.

Often though, it can be awkward and annoying.

When I'm home, I also help by doing the laundry, dishes, cooking, etc. My parents love it so much they don't want me to leave. ^_^ Haha!

People don't always move in with complete stranger. Some will live with their best friend from high school or move in with people they met through college. Even when they do go random for roommate assignments in college dorms or rush a sorority or fraternity, they usually end up becoming like brothers and sisters (it's almost like a second family.) While I agree that it's bad to completely ignore your family (especially when they need you) it's not like the majority of people do this. I certainly didn't.

LibForestPaul
08-23-2013, 07:03 PM
People are more reserved in their political opinions when surrounded by strangers. This is why the government backed by the MSM and Entertainment industry demonize those that live with families. The family and religion are a great threat to the establishment. They will do all they can to destroy the two and make government central to the life of the individual.

Indeed. Other cultures do not see the need or desire of family generations to be so seperate.

fr33
08-23-2013, 07:05 PM
The thing is your parents own the house so you have to live by their rules. That is why I left ASAP.

brushfire
08-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Generally speaking, parents are much different today then they've historically been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ahrAlCt0L4

PatriotOne
08-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Worst chart style ever. Just me?

ghengis86
08-23-2013, 09:04 PM
couple thoughts:

-left home at 18 and never lived there again. parents house, parents rules. no worries, no hard feelings, still visit and holidays and what not.
-went to college and lived/worked year round on or around campus. learned new skills, budgeting, worked hard, played hard (sometimes too hard), did some living and did some growing up. got a part-time job in my field of study and parlayed that into a full-time job upon graduation
-while not for me, what's wrong with living at home? Is that a bad thing? Maybe if it's due to the shitty economy. But why is a strong family unit a bad thing? I don't particularly view it as a negative or something to be avoided. resources are pooled (hopefully) for everyone's benefit.
-i think this is more a commentary on the adjustments people are making due to the economy being in the dumps. i'm in agreement there; less jobs for the college grads, more of them moving home due to necessity rather than choice.
-I always wanted to build a 'parent' suite or living space for my grandparents to have THEM live with ME. dumping them in a retirement home seems callous, heartless and cold. move in with me and i'll see to it that you're taken care of and i won't spend your retirement savings in a few years.
-parents - surprisingly - probably have a lot to teach and pass on to younger generations if they take the time to pass it on and the next generation is willing to listen and be respectful

ghengis86
08-23-2013, 09:05 PM

yes, yes it is

MRK
08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I've been on my own, away from my youth home for about 7 years now. The past 8 months I've been living with my parents intermittently between travelling for months at a time. I dont have to fork out a grand every month for an apartment/utilities this way (I always live alone - can't stand roommates - family and significant other is somewhat of an exception) and I can terminate my informal lease with my parents any time I want. I still pay my parents market rate rent for occupying a room during the time I'm here anyway. Plus I help them out by doing random things for them, which they need right now, because they're building a house and moving things all over town. I am also here because I know I will be gone from the US for a very long time very soon. When I go overseas again next month it will be for the indefinite future, and I will miss them and I know they will miss me so I'm spending as much time with them as I can before I leave.

So I am part of that 40 percent of millenials living with their parents, for now. There was a time in the past where I waseconomically confident and foolish enough to just say screw it, I'll stay in a hotel every day in between leases, pay 3k a month just so I can be a cool guy and not live with my parents for a little bit of time. That was 7 years ago, and I wasted 10 grand doing that. When the recession hit and my dad told me he lost half a million dollars in one day, my mindset started to change about spending liberally. Now I know better. Oh, the things I would do with 10 more grand now.

I think a lot of these millenials have realized that they will never save money if they live by themselves.Really it's the smart thing to do in a lot of cases. I've noticed that being my age the past 7 years and having your own car and apartment was something that the majority of males did not have. To this day I don't know if I attract women because of my looks/personality or because of the material things I have. I hope it's the former, but most of my previous girlfriends were mooch golddiggers, so I am inclined to believe it's the latter.

I think the big questions are, are these millenials staying at home so they can afford going out and getting drunk and high every night, are they doing it to pack money into the bank, are they doing it because they can't get a job, or are they doing it to study or try to start a business? The percentage of answers to those questions are what I would find most interesting.

malkusm
08-23-2013, 09:28 PM
So much fail in this study. The headline isn't truthful (as others have said, the percentage living with parents is hardly changed from 1969 to now), and if you wanted to make a headline out of the "less people are getting married" thing, you should probably perform the analysis by controlling for correlated factors such as years of education (which has increased steadily over the time period), urban/suburban/residential (urban dwellers have steadily increased over the time period), and a host of other things that I don't even feel like enumerating.

Dogsoldier
08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
We just call this "family".

We take care of each other...

ghengis86
08-23-2013, 10:48 PM
We just call this "family".

We take care of each other...

Exactly +1

what's wrong with that? The more I think about it - even with a crappy economy - what's wrong with living at home? the majority of the world does this until the kids get married and start their own lives, but even then some still live a their parents home while they get their situations figured out.

I think it's part of the overall goal of destroying the nu-cue-lar family; it's 'bad' to live at home with your parents, donchya know? This country flourished when the family unit was strong. Not saying you can't have a vibrant population of fragmented peoples, but damn; the decline of the nuclear family correlates with the decline of our nation (though not necessarily causative). If you rely on your family you don't rely on government; that's no good in our overlord's eyes.

libertylurker
08-24-2013, 01:11 AM
man i was out as soon as i turned 17...

BuddyRey
08-24-2013, 01:32 AM
I live with my dad, but that's mostly because we get along so well. He's 60, and cooler than guys 1/3 his age. I don't consider it so much "living with a parent" as I consider it living with my best friend.

I agree with what others have already said; that there's no reason to feel weird or guilty about staying close to your folks. That's what family is all about...being there for eachother, in eachother's lives every day. If anything, I'm kinda glad society is getting back to family as a bedrock of civilization, instead of people feeling the need to completely flee our home support networks at some arbitrary age.

jtstellar
08-24-2013, 02:25 AM
millennials might also have deeper sense of belief that us dollar will eventually crash, because many were attuned to ron paul's message, hence they hesitate on putting huge sums of money down for a new house. ever put that to consideration?

robert68
08-24-2013, 02:38 AM
The average home size has gotten bigger over the decades too, more bathrooms etc… that can make a difference.

Demigod
08-24-2013, 05:46 AM
otal dis-incentive to save as between the interest rate and the devaluing dollar, any money saved looses value. The push for everyone to use plastic...

Seems like the gvmt is pushing the population onto the Mexican model - pump out a lot of kids in the hopes that one will live long enough to take care of you in your old age.

-t

So taking care of your parents when they are old in return for the help they gave you when you were young to get your life in order is a bad thing?

MelissaWV
08-24-2013, 07:18 AM
man i was out as soon as i turned 17...

Nothing wrong with that, either; all of this is about making a decision. Living situations change, and so do expenses. Each option has major downsides, but they also have upsides. I'm glad I get to have a relationship with my parents now, when they are more mellow, but they do still fight with each other, and they get nosier and nosier as time goes on. There are days I am pretty sure they think I'm 12. If I were someone who would want to "bring a guy home" this would just not be possible. We share cars : mom uses mine a lot on the weekends, so if I want to go on a longer trip I would need to rent a car.

The flipside is that if I were living alone I would have my expenses to cover --- which I am fully capable of doing and still continuing to save, etc. --- PLUS helping my parents. They live comfortably right now and are very aware that if I moved out they would have to stop ever going to restaurants, eat much blander food at home, have to worry and watch every penny, stop having hobbies, definitely cut out things like satellite and cell phones... in other words, they would live, but not the way they are now, and this is all without touching what is still a massive debt cloud.

We finished paying off my sister's wedding (they've been married for something like 14 years now?) the other day. To their generation, credit cards became prestige and ease. There's still probably just under $15k in credit card balances, plus the mortgage of course. If I moved out, paying that off would just never happen. When they leave me the house and when those debts need to be paid, I will not have done myself favors by living alone just to be cool, on top of which my parents would eventually die stressed and depressed.

Kotin
08-24-2013, 07:38 AM
my whole family lives on a 100 acre ranch with some extra buildings..

my siblings and I are all in our 20's now.. I personally live in the main house with my mother and father because my father is blind and my mother needs quite a bit of help around the house as she works full time between several jobs.. my parents are really cool though.. they do not infringe on my space or rights at all and we never really fight about anything..

I get 2 bedrooms and a bathroom for free.. really cannot beat that.. not to mention I have my Fruit Garden here..

also, my mother was kicked out when she was 18 and told to take care of herself.. I appreciate very much having parents who want me around and love me enough to support me so I would never throw that in my mom's face when she had such a terrible mother.

I plan to homestead here and hopefully my brother and sisters do the same and we can raise our kids on 100 acres together.

Origanalist
08-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Nothing wrong with that, either; all of this is about making a decision. Living situations change, and so do expenses. Each option has major downsides, but they also have upsides. I'm glad I get to have a relationship with my parents now, when they are more mellow, but they do still fight with each other, and they get nosier and nosier as time goes on. There are days I am pretty sure they think I'm 12. If I were someone who would want to "bring a guy home" this would just not be possible. We share cars : mom uses mine a lot on the weekends, so if I want to go on a longer trip I would need to rent a car.

The flipside is that if I were living alone I would have my expenses to cover --- which I am fully capable of doing and still continuing to save, etc. --- PLUS helping my parents. They live comfortably right now and are very aware that if I moved out they would have to stop ever going to restaurants, eat much blander food at home, have to worry and watch every penny, stop having hobbies, definitely cut out things like satellite and cell phones... in other words, they would live, but not the way they are now, and this is all without touching what is still a massive debt cloud.

We finished paying off my sister's wedding (they've been married for something like 14 years now?) the other day. To their generation, credit cards became prestige and ease. There's still probably just under $15k in credit card balances, plus the mortgage of course. If I moved out, paying that off would just never happen. When they leave me the house and when those debts need to be paid, I will not have done myself favors by living alone just to be cool, on top of which my parents would eventually die stressed and depressed.

You are a blessing and I hope your parents let you know that.

Origanalist
08-24-2013, 07:42 AM
my whole family lives on a 100 acre ranch with some extra buildings..

my siblings and I are all in our 20's now.. I personally live in the main house with my mother and father because my father is blind and my mother needs quite a bit of help around the house as she works full time between a psychology practice and managing real estate.. my parents are really cool though.. they do not infringe on my space or rights at all and we never really fight about anything..

I get 2 bedrooms and a bathroom for free.. really cannot beat that.. not to mention I have my Fruit Garden here..

also, my mother was kicked out when she was 18 and told to take care of herself.. I appreciate very much having parents who want me around and love me enough to support me so I would never throw that in my mom's face when she had such a terrible mother.

I plan to homestead here and hopefully my brother and sisters do the same and we can raise our kids on 100 acres together.

To me that would be the ultimate ideal. Having extended family up and down living on a large enough property for personal space.

ghengis86
08-24-2013, 07:47 AM
To me that would be the ultimate ideal. Having extended family up and down living on a large enough property for personal space.

This. I want to buy a huge plot of land and offer any family member a plot to build upon. Sustainable, secure and safe.

Pericles
08-24-2013, 07:54 AM

That is what happens when the facts do not conclusively support your theory.

COpatriot
08-24-2013, 08:25 AM
I most certainly do NOT enjoy it, but it's all I've got right now. Kinda hard to get laid living with mom & pop.

nobody's_hero
08-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I think the latter is meant to imply some kind of roommate situation.

I also love how this graphic depends on one's inability to read. There is this huge swap where they put the "living with parents" graphic at the top in 2007... when it went up by 1%, and was actually on par with the 1970s number. The difference here isn't people living at home with their parents, really (that percentage seems fairly steady). The difference is the drop in married/head of household persons within the group. Maybe they are waiting longer to get married, attempting college, etc..

As for "loving" living at home with parents? That is a hell of an inference. There is a stereotype of the lazy slob 20 or 30 -something living in their parents' basement. What isn't discussed in this graphic is the number of people in that age group who are having to head home and help the parents take care of things. I am living with mine, and helping pay down their debt, not to mention paying the new bills as well. They are both retired but no one really taught them about what happens when they charge every little thing and never pay. Their affairs were not the least bit in order, nor were my grandmother's. It is something I feel an obligation to do, but it's not something I love. I'd rather they'd been able to retire and manage their own bills.

Good on you. I'm in the same sort of situation. I pay about $500/mo to help mom with the bills and her debt. I've actually offered to pay off her credit card debt for her, but she declined. I'm gonna keep offering too, because it really makes no sense to prolong paying it off, with the interest, if I could handle it in one-fell-swoop.

And yes, it's quite an assumption to think that just because someone is living at home means they "love" it. It has caused me to put off things like relationships.

Philhelm
08-24-2013, 09:01 AM
This is nothing more than a symptom of a failing economy. It simply is not cost effective for individuals to live alone, and many family's across the world live in an extended family household. The U.S. had enjoyed wealth and was able to produce a different household structure, but that is no longer sustainable. I suspect that extended family households will become the new norm in the future.

oyarde
08-24-2013, 09:06 AM

No it is not just you, took me three times longer to make it out from what an ordinay chart would be.Could be the worst I have seen.

oyarde
08-24-2013, 09:07 AM
This is nothing more than a symptom of a failing economy. It simply is not cost effective for individuals to live alone, and many family's across the world live in an extended family household. The U.S. had enjoyed wealth and was able to produce a different household structure, but that is no longer sustainable. I suspect that extended family households will become the new norm in the future.

I agree.