PDA

View Full Version : Iowa high school equips students with 1,425 Macbooks in $1.4 million initiative

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 08:56 AM
The program, approved by the Ames Community school board in May, is intended to enable the school to offer more personalized instruction to students. Tim Taylor, superintendent of schools in Ames, said the computers will allow teachers to reduce "one-size-fits all lecture formats and rote instruction in the classroom."

Students and parents are excited about the potential impact of the initiative, but district officials have been quick to caution that the devices themselves are only a tool.

"The magic is in giving students and teachers the tools they need to create, collaborate and communicate," said the district's Director of Technology Services, Karl Hehr.

Students will pay a $25 deposit when checking out the devices, and will not be allowed to modify their software configuration. In the event of damage or loss — major concerns for 1:1 computing programs — they will be charged maximum fees of $50 for the first incident and $150 for the second incident. If the event is deemed to be the result of "gross negligence," the students may find themselves liable for the full replacment cost — more than $1,000.

Iowa State University will also be involved with the program, monitoring its progress and suggesting improvements.

When asked if there was a cheaper option, the district's Director of Technology Services, Karl Hehr said, sure, but not as cool.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/22/iowa-high-school-equips-students-with-1425-macbook-airs-in-14-million-initiative

mello
08-22-2013, 09:11 AM
I bought Apple stock at $51 so I am completely fine with this story.

Quark
08-22-2013, 09:13 AM
I remember my high school bought iPads because they were worried the state would think they didn't need funding or something like that (at least according to the teach I had spoken with.) The iPads weren't used once in the 2 years we had them before I had graduated. Public education = waste of money.

fisharmor
08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
1.4 million to teach kids how to watch a beach ball while iTunes is updated for the ninth time this week.

cjm
08-22-2013, 09:36 AM
My kids would never be able to use them since I wouldn't sign on to the $1000 liability. If the personalized instruction comes from recordings and documents displayed on the macbook, I hope they use open standards so that other platforms can be used as well.

helmuth_hubener
08-22-2013, 09:44 AM
"The magic is in giving students and teachers the tools they need to create, collaborate and communicate," said the district's Director of Technology Services, Karl Hehr.

Students will pay a $25 deposit when checking out the devices, and will not be allowed to modify their software configuration. My school district is going to spend $3.1 million on hammers, screws, and blocks of wood. The students will not be allowed to modify the configuration of the wood, nails, and screws, of course.

"We're really excited about this opportunity. We expect that our students will learn a lot about woodworking from being exposed to and admiring the top-notch wood and nail configurations our district's experts have selected for them," said Chief Technology Bureaucrat, Five of Eleven. "Safely under glass, of course."

Beorn
08-22-2013, 10:10 AM
$1.4 million on assets that will lose most of their value in 2 or 3 years? Way to invest in the future.

torchbearer
08-22-2013, 10:14 AM
My kids would never be able to use them since I wouldn't sign on to the $1000 liability. If the personalized instruction comes from recordings and documents displayed on the macbook, I hope they use open standards so that other platforms can be used as well.

same here.
I turned down a company smartphone because they told me i'd be liable for it.
I told them if I was going to have liability for a phone, i'd buy it myself... but i'd charge them for the use of my phone for their business.

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 10:18 AM
$1.4 million on assets that will lose most of their value in 2 or 3 years? Way to invest in the future.

Not sure if Racist or not.

According to the district's official Web site, "having a future time orientation" (academese for having long-term goals) is among the "aspects of society that overtly and covertly attribute value and normality to white people and Whiteness, and devalue, stereotype and label people of color."
(http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425046-Give-em-the-ax!&p=5188525&viewfull=1#post5188525)

Beorn
08-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Not sure if Racist or not.

Lol

ravedown
08-22-2013, 11:33 AM
looks like Apple stepped up their lobbying game. smart move. corporate welfare FTW.

Smart3
08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Apple strikes again!

mello
08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
looks like Apple stepped up their lobbying game. smart move. corporate welfare FTW.

Apple used to have a much smaller stake in lobbying efforts. It wasn't until rather recently did they up their funding.