PDA

View Full Version : CT Politician asks video game industry to End 'nefarious' deals with gun makers

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Connecticut Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey (D-Hamden) is asking the games industry to stop making licensing deals with gun manufacturers.

In a letter*sent to Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick, Valve Corporation Managing Director Gabe Newell, and Entertainment Software Association CEO Michael Gallagher, Sharkey requested their cooperation in "ending the nefarious relationship between video game makers and gun makers" that allows real-world guns to be licensed for use in games.

Though admitting that research has "shown little connection between the virtual gun violence depicted in your games and the actual gun violence that claims the lives of 33 Americans every single day," Sharkey linked these licensing deals to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting on December 14 in which 20 children and six adults were killed.

Gunman Adam Lanza, he points out, was a Call of Duty player and used a Bushmaster rifle in the attack. Bushmaster rifles appear in various Call of Duty games, which are published by Activision.

Noting that Electronic Arts announced earlier this year that it was severing licensing ties to gun manufacturers, Sharkey writes that "we have to take steps to institute meaningful change in the way we portray, and effectively market, assault weapons to children and young adults."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/ct-politician-asks-industry-to-end-nefarious-deals-with-gun-makers

Anti Federalist
08-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Soooo, in a FPS type game, what do you shoot?

Fingerguns?

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Fingerguns?

You can always play HALO, their guns are not licensed.

phill4paul
08-22-2013, 06:34 AM

Fingerguns?

Food endorsements.

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pop-tart-gun-student-suspended-300x225.jpg

Anti Federalist
08-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Food endorsements.

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pop-tart-gun-student-suspended-300x225.jpg

The deadly pop tart gun.

Anti Federalist
08-22-2013, 06:39 AM
You can always play HALO, their guns are not licensed.

I don't play video games, actually I find them boring and repetitive.

But am I understanding this right: gun makers are paid by game designers to use exact likenesses in their game?

Scrapmo
08-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Only If politicians end their deals with weapons manufacturers first.

Root
08-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Only If politicians end their deals with weapons manufacturers first.
Thread winner?

nobody's_hero
08-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Thread winner?

Internet winner.

fisharmor
08-22-2013, 07:20 AM
But am I understanding this right: gun makers are paid by game designers to use exact likenesses in their game?

Apparently, yes. I didn't know this, but it makes total sense to me.
Back in the late 90's one of the hottest games was James Bond's Goldeneye. It's remembered by millennials as fondly as Tetris and Pac-Man are by earlier generations.

And if you sit down and play it, the first thing you're going to think to yourself is "Why are there blatantly obvious PPKs and MAC-10s in this game with such fake names?" It's actually pretty irritating.

Just another reason why intellectual property is bullshit.