PDA

View Full Version : Family with disabled daughter threatened with lawsuit for having a handicap ramp

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-22-2013, 03:47 AM
http://noarmycanstopanidea.com/neighbors-want-familys-handicap-ramp-removed/

Vincent and Heidi Giesegh say their neighbors are threatening legal action if they don’t remove the ramp. The Gieseghs say they need it for their 16-year-old daughter Kirsten, who has Cerebral Palsy. The couple next door, the Gieseghs say, is worried that the ramp will hurt the value of their home.

Mani
08-22-2013, 03:58 AM
http://noarmycanstopanidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tumblr_mrn1suDVYA1qzikspo1_500.jpg

The ramp is on their private property....WTF. I thought it was some ugly wooden thing thrown all over the sidewalk or something.

This ramp done nicely, like a proper handicap ramp, and again, their PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!

phill4paul
08-22-2013, 04:02 AM
People are out of the G.D. mind. That's why I wouldn't live in a house that I couldn't piss off the porch of without the neighbors seeing me.

kcchiefs6465
08-22-2013, 04:16 AM
A joke?

tod evans
08-22-2013, 05:03 AM
People are out of the G.D. mind. That's why I wouldn't live in a house that I couldn't piss off the porch of without the neighbors seeing me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Convert your house to an Abercrombie & Fitch Co. Store, then you'll be force to keep the ramp.

shane77m
08-22-2013, 06:39 AM
The family should sue the neighbors for being douchebags or at least to recover any court costs that might come from this. The sad part will be if that armed goons end up making them remove the ramp.

tod evans
08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
I'd be paying a fine for simple assault every time I saw the neighbor..

Give him an actual reason to use the courts:mad:

moostraks
08-22-2013, 07:05 AM
A landscaper could probably do something so that it was more discreet, thus taking the wind out of nosey neighbors sails and showing them up for the people they are. Would be nice if we had a liberty member in the area with said expertise to help.

Beorn
08-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Eh, it looks like they have a garage. It would probably have been smarter to have built the ramp in the garage which would have enabled them to avoid this nonsense altogether and maintain a bit more of their own curb appeal and home value. That's what my parents did.

A landscaper could probably do something so that it was more discreet, thus taking the wind out of nosey neighbors sails and showing them up for the people they are. Would be nice if we had a liberty member in the area with said expertise to help.

Like putting little bushes in front? James Howard kunstler refers to this as applying "nature band-aids" to ugly architecture. It doesn't really work.

presence
08-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Well that said... coffee has set in this morning...

I'm going out on the front porch to piss over the rail.

presence
08-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Convert your house to an Abercrombie & Fitch Co. Store, then you'll be force to keep the ramp.

Does Fitch allow Cerebral Palsy folks to wear their clothes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQw-ZFsnJYw

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Eh, it looks like they have a garage. It would probably have been smarter to have built the ramp in the garage which would have enabled them to avoid this nonsense altogether and maintain a bit more of their own curb appeal and home value. That's what my parents did.

Like putting little bushes in front? James Howard kunstler refers to this as applying "nature band-aids" to ugly architecture. It doesn't really work.

That house, like others, had a wheelchair-accessible side entrance disguised as a garage. Kirsten, who has used a wheelchair since forever, doesn’t do side entrances.

“I’m philosophically opposed to that,” she told the Independent. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424797-Retail-store-forced-to-make-front-entrance-of-231-stores-wheelchair-accessible&p=5183104#post5183104)

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 08:07 AM

That house, like others, had a wheelchair-accessible side entrance disguised as a garage. Kirsten, who has used a wheelchair since forever, doesn’t do side entrances.

“I’m philosophically opposed to that,” she told the Independent. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424797-Retail-store-forced-to-make-front-entrance-of-231-stores-wheelchair-accessible&p=5183104#post5183104)

angelatc
08-22-2013, 08:08 AM

I disagree entirely. I remember looking at houses in Indiana. We saw one that was simply plain, and crossed it off the mental list. Then I noticed the home right next door was exactly the same, but had been landscaped to perfection. I wish I had pictures!

Beorn
08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I disagree entirely. I remember looking at houses in Indiana. We saw one that was simply plain, and crossed it off the mental list. Then I noticed the home right next door was exactly the same, but had been landscaped to perfection. I wish I had pictures!

I didn't say landscaping can't make something plain look nice I said landscaping can't make something fundamentally ugly like a concrete ramp with metal handle bars look nice. Lipstick skillfully applied to a plain face is pleasing. Lipstick on a pig is not. That being said purpose built homes that accommodate wheelchairs can be very attractive.

Edit: actually the irony is that part of the reason that ramps are so unattractive is because they interfere with the accessibility of the building (side steps can have the same effect). An attractive building creates a space that is easily entered and exited from the street without any obstacle.

Americans1st
08-22-2013, 08:47 AM
http://noarmycanstopanidea.com/neighbors-want-familys-handicap-ramp-removed/

This is why nothing changes. Many Americans are focused on their own petty greed to actually do anything noble for their country. They could have offered to help plant some type of Evergreen bushes in an L around the ramp or similar. Freedom and liberty to Americans of late is nothing more than what's good for them.

fr33
08-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I'll never live amongst such robbers who think they somehow have a right to dictate what I do with my property.

angelatc
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I'll never live amongst such robbers who think they somehow have a right to dictate what I do with my property.

Iif those were my neighbors, I'd paint that ramp a nice bright, bright neon pink color that appears nowhere in nature. And add some landscape lighting, so they could enjoy it at night, too.

Snew
08-22-2013, 10:38 AM

lol, didn't think I'd see a Kunstler reference on RPF of all places. Automatic architecture/landscape/urban design +rep.
---
on topic: it's pretty ugly, yes, but it's on private property. And the neighbours have some nerve, tbh.

jkob
08-22-2013, 10:46 AM
I'd tell the neighbors to bring it, something tells me they would be the ones paying not the Giesegh's.

Beorn
08-22-2013, 10:51 AM
lol, didn't think I'd see a Kunstler reference on RPF of all places. Automatic architecture/landscape/urban design +rep.
---
on topic: it's pretty ugly, yes, but it's on private property. And the neighbours have some nerve, tbh.

Yeah, that's probably because I'm one of the few oddball non-libertarians on the site. I'm more of a localist with a bit of a communitarian bent so architecture interests me as it has a forming effect on the community.

ZENemy
08-22-2013, 10:56 AM
LOL @ home "Ownership"

jbauer
08-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Unless there is some sort of home owners union/subdivision signed agreement the handicapped folks have no obligation or reason to do a damn thing. This is a nice looking ramp going into a nice looking home. If the neighbors don't like it they can go F themselves. What the family really needs to do is get onto the today show or something similar and expose their neighbors for the heartless bastards they are.

jbauer
08-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Iif those were my neighbors, I'd paint that ramp a nice bright, bright neon pink color that appears nowhere in nature. And add some landscape lighting, so they could enjoy it at night, too.

That and like they did in step brothers I'd start dressing up as Nazi's and leaving my KKK gear laying around the yard.

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
That and like they did in step brothers I'd start dressing up as Nazi's and leaving my KKK gear laying around the yard.

That didn't end well for them...

kathy88
08-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah, that's probably because I'm one of the few oddball non-libertarians on the site. I'm more of a localist with a bit of a communitarian bent so architecture interests me as it has a forming effect on the community.

Yeah, that's just weird, dude.

Beorn
08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Unless there is some sort of home owners union/subdivision signed agreement the handicapped folks have no obligation or reason to do a damn thing.

Yes, there are reasons and you're just ignoring them. There are aesthetic, financial, and social reasons. Legal obligations are not the only obligations or duties that exist.

This is a nice looking ramp going into a nice looking home.
I hope you aren't involved in any line of work that requires aesthetic evaluation.

What the family really needs to do is get onto the today show or something similar and expose their neighbors for the heartless bastards they are.

Or they could try a path that actually leads to reconciliation and harmonious living.

Beorn
08-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah, that's just weird, dude.

Yeah, I know I'm one of those weird people who doesn't want to live in a shack alone in the middle of nowhere with my guns and store of food waiting for the sthtf.

dannno
08-22-2013, 11:17 AM

From the pictures it looks like it is a work in progress, they are actually trying to landscape around it. If you put enough tall plants it wouldn't even be noticeable.

With the attitude of the neighbors, though, I might decide not to put up anything.

kathy88
08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I know I'm one of those weird people who doesn't want to live in a shack alone in the middle of nowhere with my guns and store of food waiting for the sthtf.

SMH. Seriously? You think we're all twelve foot beard toting hermits? (Sorry Tod you know i love you). That's just crazy talk. My home is far from a shack. I live in a residential neighborhood with neighbors 3 acres away with my guns and store of food waiting for the sthth. Big Diff.

angelatc
08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
SMH. Seriously? You think we're all twelve foot beard toting hermits? (Sorry Tod you know i love you). That's just crazy talk. My home is far from a shack. I live in a residential neighborhood with neighbors 3 acres away with my guns and store of food waiting for the sthth. Big Diff.

But is it aesthetically pleasing ? You have social obligations, you know!

puppetmaster
08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Convert your house to an Abercrombie & Fitch Co. Store, then you'll be force to keep the ramp. so true

Smart3
08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Discrimination.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
land value is such a crock of shit. That's how what you owe in property taxes is determined. Some asshole comes to your house and HE decides what YOUR home is worth.

Dr.3D
08-22-2013, 12:13 PM
land value is such a crock of shit. That's how what you owe in property taxes is determined. Some asshole comes to your house and HE decides what YOUR home is worth.

Yep and if you spend some money on it and make it look better, they come by and make you pay more for taxes. Some incentive.

Must be they think if you have money to spend on your property, you have enough to give them some as well.

Tod
08-22-2013, 12:15 PM

lol......more than just landscape lighting, how about sequenced strip lighting that follows the ramp up to the door, followed by a flashing neon sign that says "Wheelchair Ramp to Heaven" bwahahahaha

moostraks
08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
From the pictures it looks like it is a work in progress, they are actually trying to landscape around it. If you put enough tall plants it wouldn't even be noticeable.

With the attitude of the neighbors, though, I might decide not to put up anything.

Yeah I thought I noticed some low plants. I was thinking something like you were about higher plantings and possibly something architecturally to make it less obtrusive. Would be a good project for someone imo. It is not the worst I have seen but it is a bit raw. Our last house was in a small old subdivision and our neighbors hated us for having put in a huge chain link fence among other things and they hassled us with code and various other organizations. Well before we left that fence was a number of attractive colors with streamers and huge pinwheels and some various dollar store summer ornaments in the yard of varying obnoxious assortments (Large beach umbrellas and the like). Code came out and stated that I was right, no laws were being broke so have a nice day.:)

amy31416
08-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Dare to dream. Now if that shack were surrounded by a moat with a big ole aquaponics setup, then you'd really have something.

pcosmar
08-22-2013, 01:01 PM
:mad:

I could not adequately describe my hate for Code enforcement and asshole neighbors.

I would be tempted to reside my house with barn wood.. and add some truly obnoxious Security lights.

:cool: F-em

dannno
08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Before:

http://noarmycanstopanidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tumblr_mrn1suDVYA1qzikspo1_500.jpg

After:

http://i41.tinypic.com/xp4ggx.jpg

Not so hard.

08-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Same here. Well I usually walk across the driveway and piss on the trees. Keeps the critters away.

pcosmar
08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Same here. Well I usually walk across the driveway and piss on the trees. Keeps the critters away.

I walk out my front door every morning with the dogs,, they pee,, I pee

Good Morning.

"If you are close enough to hear your neighbors axe,, you are too close"

Dr.3D
08-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Before:

After:

Not so hard.

I think Hydrangeas would be a better choice. ;)

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Before:

After:

Not so hard.

Picture 1: libertarian

Picture 2: anarchist going on racist

satchelmcqueen
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM
lol my neighbor is trying to sue me for use on my drive. MY DRIVE. there is no easement, or right of way anywhere in my deed or his. again for use of MY DRIVE to get to the BACK of his property because he doesnt ""want to mess up the other side of his yard with gravel, and cant afford gravel anyway.""

The ramp is on their private property....WTF. I thought it was some ugly wooden thing thrown all over the sidewalk or something.

This ramp done nicely, like a proper handicap ramp, and again, their PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!

satchelmcqueen
08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Or they could try a path that actually leads to reconciliation and harmonious living.
yes, such as the neighbors minding their own fucking business. thats as harmonious as it gets.

aGameOfThrones
08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
lol my neighbor is trying to sue me for use on my drive. MY DRIVE. there is no easement, or right of way anywhere in my deed or his. again for use of MY DRIVE to get to the BACK of his property because he doesnt ""want to mess up the other side of his yard with gravel, and cant afford gravel anyway.""

Steps to take:

1, go to local gov permits and such building

2, apply for a toll booth permit

3, get approve after showing the city the benefits of such toll booth

4, put toll booth on your drive

5, collect money

6, give percentage to local gov

7, neighbor gets tired of paying

8, send local police

9, you happy

eduardo89
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Shouldn't they sue the state? I mean, if these people pay property taxes, the state is actually the owner of the property.

pcosmar
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Wouldn't it be much easier to just ask,, Maybe even offer a beer (or something) and work out a friendly deal?

fr33
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't it be much easier to just ask,, Maybe even offer a beer (or something) and work out a friendly deal?

Not that he needs me to answer for him but here's the full story: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424633-so-my-neighbor-threatens-to-sue-me-to-use-MY-land-ENTITLEMENT-MENTALITY!!!

BlackTerrel
08-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Some people like to go out of their way to be assholes....bored I guess?

satchelmcqueen
08-23-2013, 05:43 PM
awesome idea
Steps to take:

1, go to local gov permits and such building

2, apply for a toll booth permit

3, get approve after showing the city the benefits of such toll booth

4, put toll booth on your drive

5, collect money

6, give percentage to local gov

7, neighbor gets tired of paying

8, send local police

9, you happy

satchelmcqueen
08-23-2013, 05:53 PM
i may be reading your reply wrong cause i dont know if you understand that its my drive,,,,anyway yes, e did have a friendly deal only it didnt involve my drive. soooo before i put the fence up i knew the property line was about 2 feet from the corner of their house. so i spoke with them and told them i was going to put up a fence because of crime and my 1 yr old daughter. i told them i had no intentions of putting the fence exactly on the line because i didnt want to make it to where they couldnt walk around their house, plus thats where the old lady keeps her garbage cans. so i told them i was going to place fence about 4-5 feet onto my side of the line so she could still move around with her cans. she and the son agreed and thanked me for considering that and said it was my land to do what i wanted anyway.

THEN the next day i placed the fence posts. then the very next day they called the cops on me and tried to use him to make me move it off of my land because now they wanted to use MY drive to get to the back of their house instead of using the other side of THEIR land. this all came out of no where. the man then told me i was either going to give him access or he was going to sue me. so i told him to sue me as there is no easement or right of way and i wasnt going to allow him use of my drive. then we were called "stingy white people". lol i hope that makes sense.