PDA

View Full Version : Resolution to Restore the Voice of the Grassroots: DENIED! RNC summer meeting report

libertyjam
08-21-2013, 06:19 AM
http://libertyroll.com/2013/08/resolution-to-restore-the-voice-of-the-grassroots-denied/

If you were following Liberty at the RNC Summer meeting this past week, you already know that eight members of the RNC Resolution Committee refused to make a motion to discuss the Resolution to Restore the Voice of the Grassroots.

Over all, out of the nine resolutions that were brought before the RNC Resolutions Committee, seven were passed. Six out of those seven were substituted with language molded by the RNC’s Steering Committee during the weeks leading into the summer meeting, and only one of the resolutions presented — the most widely sponsored resolution the committee even heard, and the only one of the resolutions presented which had nine sponsors — was the only one about which no motion was made to discuss or reconsider.

This despite numerous pleas for a discussion as to the controversial manner that the 2012 Rules were passed and demands to have a discussion on the future role of delegates to the National Convention.

The Resolution Committee had a number of options on the table to choose from:

1.) They could have discussed the resolution and either passed or failed in the Committee;
2.) They could have forwarded it to the general session with a negative recommendation;
3.) They could have forwarded it to the general session with no recommendation; or
4.) They could have refused to make a motion to even discuss the resolution.

Ultimately they chose to follow the fourth option, which was along the same line of thinking they used when they ignored the calls for division on the floor of the 2012 Republican National Convention.

I personally spoke with many representatives of the 168-member body before and after the presentation in the resolution committee. Many of those representatives agreed with the resolution’s sentiments, specifically that the rules may not have been properly passed and that there really is no way to ensure the integrity of the 2012 National Convention Rules vote. Unfortunately for the grassroots, they did not want to co-sponsor for any of the following reasons:

• They did not want to resolve to return to the 2008 rules;
• They did not want to rehash the past;
• They believed that it was ‘Out of Order’;
• They believe the party needs the 2012 rules to be competitive;
• They do not want a repeat of 2012, vis-a-vis the lost control of the delegate situation;
• They do not understand the entire situation;
• They were new and still figuring out what is happening around them; and/or
• They want to streamline the nomination process and need Rule 12 to make the necessary changes.

As per the rules governing Resolutions, if just 3 more members from 3 different states would of stood alongside those who stood with the grassroots this resolution would of at least guaranteed a discussion among the full body of the RNC in the General Session.

Essentially, it would be impossible to raise these arguments up again at any future RNC meetings.

The only opportunity to influence rules 1-11 and 13-25 would be through Morton Blackwell’s approach through the Rules Committee. Unfortunately the RNC decided to refer all rule change amendments to brand new 10-member subcommittee as they did with all 3 amendments brought forward at the Rules Committee this past week.

Prior to 2012, the RNC had to wait four years to receive input from elected delegates to change the rules of the party.

After the Ginsberg power grab and the implementation of Rule 12, the RNC could change the rules through raised amendments from the Rules Committee which is made up of more 50 people, each representing a each state or territory. Those changes which received a majority vote would then be brought before the full 168-member body and would then need the support of 3/4 of that body in order to adopt the changes.

Now with the creation of a 10-member rules subcommittee, the changes brought to the full rules committee will be referred to the subcommittee and then offered back as a slate of changes to the rules committee. This makes it difficult on Rules Committee members as the pressure to make even the smallest beneficial changes will be locked with potentially bad changes.

The subcommittee is scheduled to meet every month in Washington, D.C., and it is the party’s belief that this will help speed up the changes.

Personally, I see this as a further power-grab. The Rules Committee is more than capable of handling these changes, and there is a representative from every state and territory each of whom could provide input from the state he or she represents.

It is also important to note that Rule 12 only offers the opportunity to change the rules up to two years before the National Convention. That means there are only three meetings left. It is important to remember that the RNC is planning to streamline the National Convention to a maximum 60-day period and future tweaks to a number of the rules is needed to make that a possibility.

Here is the final list of official Sponsors of Resolution to Restore the Voice of the Grassroots:

Chief Sponsor Mark Willis NCM, Maine

Marti Halverson, NCW Wyoming

James Wilson-Smack, NCM Nevada

Diana Orrock, NCW Nevada

Curly Haugland, NCM North Dakota

Dave Agema, NCM Michigan

Sandye Kading, NCW South Dakota

Barry Peterson, SC Idaho

Ashley Ryan, NCW Maine

Organizational Sponsors:

LibertyRoll (www.LibertyRoll.com)

Carolina Liberty PAC (www.carolinalibertypac.com)

Please be sure to reach out to the to these RNC representatives and personally thank them for their willingness to stand with the Grassroots. They have served you well!

On a postive note, I want to mention one HUGE VICTORY that did occur from the RNC Summer Meeting:

A Resolution was passed urging our Congressman to Defund Obamacare. This was a huge victory for us as it was a complete bottom-up effort thought of and written by my friend and founding Liberty Roll member Nicole Revels who was able to get the resolution passed first at her local district level, then submitted it to committee members to bring before the RNC,. She attended the meetings in Boston and saw the resolution through all the way. From the Resolution Committee where it passed unanimously to the General Session where it was officially adopted. Although the resolution was amended, none of her original language was removed.

I have seen so many activists supportive of this measure and they may not be aware of the role that Nicole played in making it happen and what an amazing victory that it signifies for grassroots activists. This may have been the only thing we actually had input in that passed this entire week.

Thank you to all of you who petitioned their committee members to urging them to pass it.

Featured Author Bryan Daugherty
2012 Maine National Delegate and Grassroots Activist

Also By Bryan:
RNC Summer Meeting: Rules Committee Recap Part 1
http://libertyroll.com/2013/08/rnc-summer-meeting-rules-committee-recap-part-1/

On August 15th, the RNC Rules Committee met in Boston at their Summer meeting to discuss three proposed amendments to the rules.

Many of the committee members, which consisted of 56 members — one from each state and territory — were caught off-guard by a move to refer all the proposed amendments to a newly formed 10-person subcommittee. This subcommittee was filled with members who were handpicked by Rules Committee Chairman Bruce Ash and RNC Chair Reince Priebus.

What is supposed to happen is that these rules changes are brought forward before the Rules Committee where a motion could be made to discuss and vote on a specific rule amendment.

In order to be adopted into the Party’s rulebook, each proposed change would have to receive a majority vote in the Rules Committee. Each proposal would be heard individually on its own merits, and each would then be presented in front of the full 168-member RNC body during the General Session where it would need a 3/4 — 126 votes — in order to be officially adopted.

This new, smaller subcommittee is to meet every month in order to address any proposed rules changes.

Although no official plans have been released as to how these meetings are to be accessed, it has been rumored that they will most likely be held somewhere in Washington, D.C. The RNC indicated that this subcommittee was created to research primary timing and delegate selection.

At the start of the business portion of the hearing, both Virginia National Committeeman Morton Blackwell and Tennessee Republican National Committeeman Jon Ryder, who also serves as RNC General Counsel, were at the microphone attempting to introduce their amendments first.

Blackwell, once recognized, introduced his proposed amendment to Rule 16(c)(2), hoping to change the word “may” to “shall.” Before any real discussion could occur, a motion to refer Blackwell’s amendment to the newly created subcommittee was made and then seconded by Jon Ryder.

Serving as proxy for Maine National Committeeman Mark Willis, I was in line ready to speak in opposition of considering any of the amendments based on the principle that the RNC should first address the controversial manner in which the rules were adopted at the 2012 National Convention. Once that was addressed then, and only then, should the Committee consider whether those rules were properly passed as well as the propriety of using controversial rules whose validity cannot be ensured in order to change other potentially illegitimate rules may not serve in the best interest to growing our party.

Once the chair recognized me after the motion to refer to the subcommitee, I segued into my prepared speech. I started by saying that even though I had planned to vote against the amendments, I did not want to see any of the amendments be referred to a smaller committee which would impede transparency and further restrict the opportunities to have a broader discussion.

Here is my speech, though I shortened it a bit while speaking in order to avoid being ruled out of order:
____

Something is very wrong at the Republican National Committee
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/liberty-our-times/2013/aug/18/something-very-wrong-republican-natoonal-committee/

WASHINGTON, August 18, 2013 — Appearing on “This Week” with George Stephanopolous, Reince Preibus said that overall results of the Republican National Committee meeting in Boston last week were positive and enthusiastic. That there is now “peace and detente” between the liberty wing of the party and the RNC.

Apparently Priebus attended a different RNC meeting than many others did.

Reports from activists who were at the RNC meeting clearly state that the leadership of the Party has little interest in either reform or leadership. Their priority is not the unifying or growth of the party. Instead the RNC establishment seeks further rules changes and restrictions on participation by grassroots members in order to maintain establishment control over the primary process and the management of the party.

Their top down control and neglect of grassroots voices has lead to disastrous results in recent elections. They want to keep it a party of, by and for insiders and consultants and treat most of the membership of the party as outsiders with no voice at all.

____

13 Maine Republicans Are Done With The GOP, Decide To Leave Party
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/maine-republicans-gop_n_3781973.html

Citing a long list of problems, 13 members of the Maine Republican Party are leaving the GOP.

In a Sunday letter obtained by the Bangor Daily News, the group singled out the RNC, Congressional Republicans, Maine Republican legislators and Gov. Paul LePage's administration as factors in the decision.

"We can no longer associate ourselves with a political party that goes out of its way to continually restrict our freedoms and liberties as well as reaching deeper and deeper into our wallets," the group wrote.

Recently-elected Maine GOP Chairman Rick Bennett reacted to the news, telling Maine Today that he was sad to see them go, but still saw a "very broad" party before him.

“I regret losing them from the party, but our party remains a very broad party,” Bennett said. “My job isn’t to pick sides."

According to the Maine Sun Journal, leading the exodus was RNC member Mark Willis of Washington County, former Senate candidate Scott D'Amboise of Lisbon, and former state party chair challenger Sam Canders. Willis said that to stop others from leaving, the party must start "governing like Republicans are supposed to be," the Sun Journal reported.

GunnyFreedom
08-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Carolina Liberty PAC (www.carolinalibertypac.com (http://www.carolinalibertypac.com))

Please be sure to reach out to the to these RNC representatives and personally thank them for their willingness to stand with the Grassroots. They have served you well!

On a postive note, I want to mention one HUGE VICTORY that did occur from the RNC Summer Meeting:

A Resolution was passed urging our Congressman to Defund Obamacare. This was a huge victory for us as it was a complete bottom-up effort thought of and written by my friend and founding Liberty Roll member Nicole Revels who was able to get the resolution passed first at her local district level, then submitted it to committee members to bring before the RNC,. She attended the meetings in Boston and saw the resolution through all the way. From the Resolution Committee where it passed unanimously to the General Session where it was officially adopted. Although the resolution was amended, none of her original language was removed.

I have seen so many activists supportive of this measure and they may not be aware of the role that Nicole played in making it happen and what an amazing victory that it signifies for grassroots activists. This may have been the only thing we actually had input in that passed this entire week.

I want to congratulate my good friend and North Carolinian Nicole Revels (Carolina Liberty PAC) for leading the effort on the Obamacare resolution and working it all the way across the finish line. This was her baby from the start, and she did an amazing job!