PDA

View Full Version : First McCain & Graham, now Tim Scott changes mind on foreign aid to Egypt

compromise
08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
http://benswann.com/sen-tim-scott-admits-wrongdoing-should-have-obeyed-u-s-constitution/

Two weeks ago Joshua Cook reported that Sen. Tim Scott flip flopped on foreign aid to Egypt. At a Greenville Tea Party meeting Sen. Scott assured the audience that he would stand with Sen. Rand Paul regarding foreign aid to Egypt, but just a few days later he ended up voting against the amendment standing with Sen. Lindsey Graham and the Democrats.

Liberty activists wanted to know what changed so dramatically in Sen. Tim Scott’s answer to the Greenville Tea Party on July 25 to his vote against Senator Rand Paul’s amendment on S 1243 on July 31 that would have caused this apparent reversal.

Today, they have their answer.

At a town hall event, liberty candidate Eddie McCain, who is running for the 2nd Congressional District of SC asked Sen. Scott why he voted against the Rand Paul’s amendment to freeze foreign aid to Egypt. Watch his answer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dh-VFDxgvYY

According to Townhall.com, Rand Paul stated that the 86 senators who opposed his amendment to freeze $1.5 billion in annual aid to Egypt voted “against the rule of law.” Michael Lotfi highlighted Paul’s reaction to the recent violence in Egypt, “This is something that those who voted in Congress are going to have to live with. The question is: How does their conscience feel now as they see photographs of tanks rolling over Egyptian civilians?”

Now even Senators McCain and Graham are backtracking and are now “standing with Rand.” The more important question is will our senators stand with the Constitution and rule of law?

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Since Scott was first appointed, my assumption has been that he was another young neo-conservative (or teo-conservative) like Ayotte and Rubio, who would be taking his orders from Kristol, McCain, Graham, etc. This situation, and his response, just reinforces that assumption.

compromise
08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Since Scott was first appointed, my assumption has been that he was another young neo-conservative (or teo-conservative) like Ayotte and Rubio, who would be taking his orders from Kristol, McCain, Graham, etc. This situation, and his response, just reinforces that assumption.

He voted against intervention in Libya in the House, so he's not that bad. He got worse after he was appointed to the Senate though, I'm sure he did a deal with the establishment there.

compromise
08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
bump

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
McCain, Graham = Republicans = Media Psyop

McCain, Graham = Representing Anyone = Media Psyop

angelatc
08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
So putting our national interests ahead of our national laws is in the national interest.

And just because the military threw out their democratically elected government....well, that doesn't make it a coup.

And they spew this crap with a straight face while we're branded unsocial malcontents because it is revolting to us.

eduardo89
08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Tim Scott sounds like an idiot when he talks.

HOLLYWOOD
08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
I hope everyone reading this thread realizes that, US is not the only country giving monetary/military aid to Egypt.

Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, U.A.E. gave a total of $12 Billion in Military/.Gov Aid last year to Egypt. It's time to cut off all aid to these nations. Like Ron Paul stated, "You Cannot buy Friends", it steals from the poor in America and gives it to wealthy tyrannical dictators/governments in poor nations."

Keith and stuff
08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
(or teo-conservative)

Ayotte isn't a Tea Party conservative. But the Tea Party conservatives like Rand, Rubio, Lee and Cruz are all in the 10 least bad Senators in the US along with folks like Coburn. Ayotte is about average for a Republican in the US Senate so she isn't up to their standard. All of them are vastly less pro-liberty than Rep. Massie or Rep. Amash. Oh well. That is US politics for you. Pretty much everyone on a national level is worthless.

eduardo89
08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Ayotte isn't a Tea Party conservative. But the Tea Party conservatives like Rand, Rubio, Lee and Cruz are all in the 10 least bad Senators in the US along with folks like Coburn. Ayotte is about average for a Republican in the US Senate so she isn't up to their standard. All of them are vastly less pro-liberty than Rep. Massie or Rep. Amash. Oh well. That is US politics for you. Pretty much everyone on a national level is worthless.

You forgot to add the "if you want real liberty, move to NH" to your post.

compromise
08-20-2013, 01:15 PM

He is an exceptionally poor speaker. He would probably not win his Senate seat if he ran.

However, I do thank him for eventually coming over and standing with Rand.

specsaregood
08-20-2013, 01:20 PM

He sounded like a complete moron; but then again he hit all the big talking points, Israel, member of military, bible.

compromise
08-20-2013, 01:22 PM
He sounded like a complete moron; but then again he hit all the big talking points, Israel, member of military, bible.

One of the few things he said that made sense was that the US shouldn't be the policemen of the world. I think the fact Scott is saying this shows how much Rand is influencing his colleagues in the Senate.

specsaregood
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
One of the few things he said that made sense was that the US shouldn't be the policemen of the world. I think the fact Scott is saying this shows how much Rand is influencing his colleagues in the Senate.

Repeating slogans isn't very impressive to me.

compromise
08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Repeating slogans isn't very impressive to me.

It's not impressive, but it is reflective of the influence we have nowadays within the GOP. Back in 2006, no one would be saying that.

jkr
08-20-2013, 01:34 PM
plea accepted
GUILTY AS CHARGED
THE PENALTY IS TO BE HUNG IN THE PUBLIC SQUARE BY NECK UNTIL DEAD

TREASON is a BITCH, bitchez

compromise
08-20-2013, 01:41 PM
plea accepted
GUILTY AS CHARGED
THE PENALTY IS TO BE HUNG IN THE PUBLIC SQUARE BY NECK UNTIL DEAD

TREASON is a BITCH, bitchez

I strongly disagree with that. I think people that still hold the wrong positions are far worse than people that used to hold the wrong positions and now hold the right positions. Not everyone started out a libertarian, and that goes for politicians too, even McCain, Graham and Scott.