PDA

View Full Version : Cops get numerous 911 calls after cable goes out during Breaking Bad

green73
08-20-2013, 07:17 AM
People have called 911 to complain about lousy hamburgers and cold french fries, but what happened Sunday night in a Connecticut town may have set a new standard for misuse of emergency calls.

The cause of the crisis? Viewers couldn't watch their cable TV programs. And if Facebook posts are any indication, "Breaking Bad" was what the viewers wanted most.

A power outage knocked out cable service Sunday evening in parts of Connecticut, leaving Cablevision customers unable to watch television, including the hit show now in its final season.

While most viewers chose to wait for service to be restored, others opted for a far less rational course of action: calling 911.

The Fairfield Police Department was not amused and took to its Facebook page to post a refresher course on using its emergency system. The message read:

"We are receiving numerous 911 calls regarding the Cablevison outage. This is neither an emergency or a police related concern. Please direct your inquiries to Cablevision. 911 should only be called for Life Threatening Emergencies ONLY. Incidents that are not of an emergency nature may be reported to the Fairfield Police Department. ... Misuse of the 911 system may result in an arrest."

cont
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-connecticut-cablevision-subscribers-call-911-after-cable-outage-fairfield-police-not-amused-20130819,0,4320826.story

Icymudpuppy
08-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Misuse of the 911 system may result in an arrest."

In this case, these disgusting sheeple deserve to be SWATted.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2013, 10:12 AM
In this case, these disgusting sheeple deserve to be SWATted.

With my luck, they'd get the wrong fucking house and SWAT me.

Fucking Idiocracy all around.

amy31416
08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Totally justified.

asurfaholic
08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Totally justified.

This. Dont taze my breaking bad, bro.

pcosmar
08-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Totally justified.

No TV is an Emergency. :rolleyes:

dannno
08-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Totally justified.

Ya if I weren't computer savy and didn't know how to download it off the internet I'd want to have somebody arrested for knocking out the cable, who knows when they may replay the episode again?? Gotta have this thing watched by next Sunday.. Can't check the Guide, the cable is out!

dannno
08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
No TV is an Emergency. :rolleyes:

You've never seen Breaking Bad?

amy31416
08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
This. Dont taze my breaking bad, bro.

Call 911 bitch!

Other than this very serious emergency, I'm on board with the "never talk to the cops" crowd.

BuddyRey
08-20-2013, 10:39 AM
I know I just said this yesterday, but I'll say it again.

TV??? People still WATCH that piece of dinosaur technology?!?!

Even if there was something on there that was actually worth watching (highly doubtful, IMO), you could always go watch it online. Primewire is your friend!

osan
08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Television is one of the most horrifically addictive poisons known to us. Look what happens when the soma is taken away - the gammas are ready to riot within minutes.

And no, I'm not joking.

osan
08-20-2013, 10:45 AM
You've never seen Breaking Bad?

Don't even know what it is. Don't care. Rather not find out.

TV bores me to pain. So irritating, too.

JK/SEA
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
keep the damn TV on...geezus...i really think this will be the cause or start of the next revolution...

brushfire
08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
http://cezl.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/flat-line.png

youngbuck
08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Just a microcosm of the fastest growing segment of our society, i.e. those who look for the government to solve their every problem?

dannno
08-20-2013, 11:14 AM

That is the same collectivist reasoning racists use. There ARE good tv shows, Breaking Bad IS one of them. You DON'T have to have tv to watch it, you CAN download the entire series without advertisements.

That is how I would watch it except I have tv so my gf can watch Real Housewives and crap so we just watch it live or right after on the dvr with no ads because it's easier.

dannno
08-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Television is one of the most horrifically addictive poisons known to us. Look what happens when the soma is taken away - the gammas are ready to riot within minutes.

And no, I'm not joking.

I was addicted to tv as a kid, then I went to college and smoked a bunch of weed and took a bunch of mushrooms and now it just seems like some weird alien form of unentertainment for the most part..

On the other hand since it is streaming into my house anyway, there are a few good tv shows and Food Network is fun to watch. Food network is just about how to cook more types of food in different and delicious ways, what the hell is wrong with that? Nothing. The Great Food Truck Race and Chopped are both very entertaining shows.

That said those shows can all be watched on the internet and I'd cancel my cable service tomorrow if my gf said she didn't want it anymore.

amy31416
08-20-2013, 11:20 AM
That is the same collectivist reasoning racists use. There ARE good tv shows, Breaking Bad IS one of them. You DON'T have to have tv to watch it, you CAN download the entire series without advertisements.

That is how I would watch it except I have tv so my gf can watch Real Housewives and crap so we just watch it live or right after on the dvr with no ads because it's easier.

C'mon now, it's not going to hurt anyone to not watch this show. It is good, but real life is/should be better.

GunnyFreedom
08-20-2013, 11:22 AM

I've been TV-less since 2008, and I tell you, when I go to someone's house and they have a babble-box babbling in the corner, it feels like 5 minutes of 'show' for 10 minutes of commercial. And then they embed commercials into the show besides. I don't know how anybody watches it, actually. But then, 8 years ago when i watched the thing I didn't used to even notice.

dannno
08-20-2013, 11:24 AM
C'mon now, it's not going to hurt anyone to not watch this show. It is good, but real life is/should be better.

My goal is less to get them to watch this particular show and more that despite how crappy tv is in general, there are a few true gems in the rough.

But it really wouldn't hurt for them to downloads the first few episodes and give it a try.

dannno
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I've been TV-less since 2008, and I tell you, when I go to someone's house and they have a babble-box babbling in the corner, it feels like 5 minutes of 'show' for 10 minutes of commercial. And then they embed commercials into the show besides. I don't know how anybody watches it, actually. But then, 8 years ago when i watched the thing I didn't used to even notice.

My gf usually records shows so we can skip through the ads, that helps quite a bit.

noneedtoaggress
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFIBPYDnCw

osan
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

After having been free of TV for about 2.5 years I was at the airport in Beckly (WV) at midnight waiting for my wife to get in from work. I wandered into the pilot's lounge and for some odd reason put on the TV, sat in the la-z-boy and closed my eyes. I don't know how much time passed, but it could not have been more than a few minutes - I suddenly sprang up and was ANGRY to the point I wanted to go out to the car, fetch the pistol, and put a bullet through the TV.

What part of that is "collectivist"?

Now, if you so insist there is "good TV", I recommend you read a book titled, "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" (emphasis in the original). The author was cute in taking up the nom de plume "Jerry Mander". It is a worthwhile read. Then come back and regale us once again about "good" television.

I don't much care what you do. Watch TV all you want - I refuse to follow that path for it leads to nothing good. That's my opinion. If yours is different, so be it.

ZENemy
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Again its called network programming and you are the network. :)

amy31416
08-20-2013, 11:37 AM
My goal is less to get them to watch this particular show and more that despite how crappy tv is in general, there are a few true gems in the rough.

But it really wouldn't hurt for them to downloads the first few episodes and give it a try.

With this show, I'd agree. But for some people TV is like crack and so addictive that they just need to cut it out of their lives entirely. Breaking Bad could be like the gateway drug, y'know?

kahless
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Seems like a show RPF members could appreciate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7CE5mTz9I

BuddyRey
08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Well actually, I might have to take Dannno's advice and give the show a try now that I think about it, because he was totally right about Trailer Park Boys.

kahless
08-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Well actually, I might have to take Dannno's advice and give the show a try now that I think about it, because he was totally right about Trailer Park Boys.

You are not the only one. I learned about it from Danno also and ended up watching them all on Netflix. lol

noneedtoaggress
08-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Seems like a show RPF members could appreciate.

BREAKING BAD & THE STATE (http://libertyminded.org/blog/breaking-bad-and-the-state#.UhOraJKG18E)

&

Seems like a show RPF LvMI members could appreciate, too.

Stephan Kinsella about a week ago

Superb and well-written analysis.

:p

brushfire
08-20-2013, 12:03 PM
I had responded within the context of people calling 911 over a cable problem.

As good as "Breaking Bad" is, I'd not be calling the police over a service problem. I'd watched the first couple of seasons before getting rid of cable TV. I really dont watch any TV, but I did get netflix for some of the kids programming. I've since found the breaking bad streaming to be a good time. Really, the series is masterfully done, in nearly every regard. The only episode I refuse to watch again is S3:E10 - "Fly"... complete waste of tape... literally 60 seconds of content stretched out over an entire show - I'm still trying to figure out what the point was.

Anyhow, I have no issues with moderation. Folks who are so obsessed that they dial 911 are just pitiful. Much like those who would pick up a pipe and start smoking meth after crushing their husband with an ATM... Reminds me of when my cat would watch animal planet.

amy31416
08-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I had responded within the context of people calling 911 over a cable problem.

As good as "Breaking Bad" is, I'd not be calling the police over a service problem. I'd watched the first couple of seasons before getting rid of cable TV. I really dont watch any TV, but I did get netflix for some of the kids programming. I've since found the breaking bad streaming to be a good time. Really, the series is masterfully done, in nearly every regard. The only episode I refuse to watch again is S3:E10 - "Fly"... complete waste of tape... literally 60 seconds of content stretched out over an entire show - I'm still trying to figure out what the point was.

Anyhow, I have no issues with moderation. Folks who are so obsessed that they dial 911 are just pitiful. Much like those who would pick up a pipe and start smoking meth after crushing their husband with an ATM... Reminds me of when my cat would watch animal planet.

HATED that episode.

And for those who didn't get it, my comment of "totally justified" was a joke.

angelatc
08-20-2013, 12:20 PM

I would not have cable if te hubby would let me do away with it. I was tv-less in my college and early adult years, and I had the same impression. I remember being at work and hearing people talking about Roseanne - it was like we were living in a different world. And it's worse now. Not only are the advertisements everywhere, so is the preaching. The social engineers yammering into our brains the whole time it is on.

Shudder.

dannno
08-20-2013, 12:37 PM
After having been free of TV for about 2.5 years I was at the airport in Beckly (WV) at midnight waiting for my wife to get in from work. I wandered into the pilot's lounge and for some odd reason put on the TV, sat in the la-z-boy and closed my eyes. I don't know how much time passed, but it could not have been more than a few minutes - I suddenly sprang up and was ANGRY to the point I wanted to go out to the car, fetch the pistol, and put a bullet through the TV.

What part of that is "collectivist"?

Now, if you so insist there is "good TV", I recommend you read a book titled, "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" (emphasis in the original). The author was cute in taking up the nom de plume "Jerry Mander". It is a worthwhile read. Then come back and regale us once again about "good" television.

I don't much care what you do. Watch TV all you want - I refuse to follow that path for it leads to nothing good. That's my opinion. If yours is different, so be it.

Dude, I didn't have tv for 11 years and watching tv bothered me a lot more than it does you, TRUST ME. I have actually had to train myself to not let it bother me so much and ignore it when I'm around it. It still 'concerns' me, but I don't get aggravated as much anymore. It took months of my gf bitching and even threatening to break up with me before I caved in and got it. You have no idea how much I despise tv.

But I'm not talking about having it on in the background, I'm talking about watching specific shows while skipping through ads or downloading a specific series and watching it ad-free. That's completely different than having some infomercial blaring for 2 minutes before some total BS show about some BS celebrity comes on. It's more like going to the theater and watching a good film. There is nothing wrong with that, and just because they choose the tv as a format to present something doesn't mean it is going to be bad.

dannno
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
With this show, I'd agree. But for some people TV is like crack and so addictive that they just need to cut it out of their lives entirely. Breaking Bad could be like the gateway drug, y'know?

Take an 8th of mushrooms and then try and watch TV the next day. Addiction removed.

dannno
08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Precious Roy, Precious Roy... Makin' lots of suckers out of girls and boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzTz7npIYUk

Barrex
08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Is that show any good?

dannno
08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Is that show any good?

Really, the series is masterfully done, in nearly every regard.

I'd agree with that ^

I didn't start watching the series until there was a dozen page thread on the show here a few years ago, there was a Ron Paul 2008 sticker and one of the characters is a libertarian, good guy although a little odd and quirky. Big discussion on that.

Also the beginning it says the series is by Aaron Paul :p

CPUd
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/f7kgFZA.jpg

aGameOfThrones
08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6150054912/h7449FA21/

BTW, I watched that episode like most of the civilized world... Unofficial streaming site.

jkob
08-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Is that show any good?

I avoided watching it for a long time but when I did finally did it surpassed the hype and then some. I can honestly say it is one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

liberty2897
08-20-2013, 01:44 PM

TPB is one of the few things that I could watch over and over. Makes me laugh.

They are working on season 8...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bOaHd2GxPg

jclay2
08-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Breaking bad is a ridiculously good show. Not worth inviting the police state upon yourself, but very good.

kahless
08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
TPB is one of the few things that I could watch over and over. Makes me laugh.

They are working on season 8...

I thought what I saw on Netflix last year was it. Good to hear they are making more.

Before I knew what it was I used to think the avatar Danno used to have of Bubbles was really him or he was making fun of the mentally challenged. LOL

Athan
08-20-2013, 02:49 PM
With my luck, they'd get the wrong fucking house and SWAT me.

Fucking Idiocracy all around.

You? Nah man, it won't be the "wrong" house brah. Lock and load friend against the things that go bump (or bam bam) in the night.

AFPVet
08-20-2013, 03:07 PM
This also goes for other stupid shit. I know that some people call 911 for other non emergency BS all the time and they don't even think to call information/use phone book for the local PD/sheriff's office non emergency number. Just wait until someone perishes because of one of these asshats.

green73
08-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Just wait until someone perishes because of one of these asshats.

Like the SWAT team running over a mundane en route to the caller's house.

amy31416
08-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I would not have cable if te hubby would let me do away with it. I was tv-less in my college and early adult years, and I had the same impression. I remember being at work and hearing people talking about Roseanne - it was like we were living in a different world. And it's worse now. Not only are the advertisements everywhere, so is the preaching. The social engineers yammering into our brains the whole time it is on.

Shudder.

Weird. I did the same exact thing during my college years.

Take an 8th of mushrooms and then try and watch TV the next day. Addiction removed.

I know you might be joking, but I don't think that most of us want to trip. I read up on it early in life and decided that it wasn't for me.