PDA

View Full Version : People turning down game show prizes because of tax burden.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-19-2013, 08:37 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/price-8230-taxes-high-174700410.html

There is no such thing as a free lunch ... or an all-expenses paid trip to Acapulco. That's what "The Price Is Right" contestant Andrea Schwartz found out when she scored $33,000 worth of prizes, including a shiny red Mazda 2 compact car, a pool table, and a shuffle board table, on the popular television game show.

Schwartz told Yahoo! Shine that contestants won't quite know what hit them if they make it on to the show. "It's a whirlwind, they kind of shove you around, and then you are suddenly in the parking lot, saying, 'I just played Plinko.'" You may not be prepared for the hefty taxes you'll owe before picking up your prize, either.

"Yeah, you don't just drive off the back lot with the car like I thought the entire time I was growing up," Schwartz said in a recent interview with the A.V. Club. "After the show, you fill out some paperwork and basically sign your life away. You say that you're going to pay the taxes on it. If you win in California, you have to actually pay the California state income tax ahead of time." Uncle Sam will want his cut as well, and if the prize is big enough, it could even bump you into a higher federal tax bracket, further chipping away at your win.

While it's not news that people pay taxes on winnings, there are a couple of reasons it can be more jarring on The Price Is Right. You aren't guaranteed to be a contestant–you're sitting in the audience one minute, and then the next, you're playing for the showcase. Plus, the show awards trips and products that you may not be interested in. That $5,000 BBQ? You don't need it, and might not pay as much for it on the open market if you did—but you're still on the hook for taxes on the full retail value.

Schwartz's car was shipped from Los Angeles to a dealer near her home in Reno, Nevada. Before she could claim it, she had to pay $2,500 in taxes. Luckily, she had won $1,200 in cash playing the show's Plinko game and also had some money in savings – but not all contestants have the resources to even collect their winnings. "I think a lot of people don't understand what they're getting themselves into. They're just like, 'Oh my God, I'm going to win a bunch of stuff,' and then they're going to have to forfeit their prizes because they can't afford to pay the taxes on them," she said. Yahoo! Shine could not reach the program for comment.

Another former winner explained on Aurora's Blog that if you win a car, you'll get a call to retrieve it sometime during the 90-day period after your show airs. You only have 10 days to pick it up, and the dealer could be as far as 150 miles from your home address. If you can't arrange the paperwork, tax payment, and pick up within that time, you will forfeit your booty.

As for Schwartz's other prizes, the pool table and shuffle board table were worth an estimated $14,000, but Schwartz sold them for $4,500 on Craigslist because they were too big to fit into her small apartment. "I took a bite on that one," she said. Because the game show will only deliver to the winner's home address, if a prize (say, the ever-popular bedroom set) is too large, the winner will have to pay for shipping to an alternate location. Schwartz was fortunate that the vendor agreed to store the items for the couple of months it took her to unload them.
Wondering why Schwartz and other contestants don't take the cash value instead of the prizes? "There is no cash value option," explained Aurora's Blog. "They make it super clear in all of the paperwork – you take exactly what you won, or you take nothing."

And what about that trip to sunny Acapulco? The tickets are nontransferable, so there is no way to sell it. You had better just kick back and enjoy the beach ... after springing for the sales and income taxes, of course.
Schwartz says she was fortunate to win a small car and other fairly high-quality, relatively salable items. "If I had won the other showcase, it would have been trips, a refrigerator, and a stove," she told Yahoo! Shine. Ultimately, she invested the money she earned from selling her winnings into a food truck business called the Souper Wagon. Even contestants who wind up winning cash prizes don't always benefit though, thanks to their own personal issues. According to ABC, one winner even turned down an actual cash prize of $10,000 since he didn't want to split it with his ex-wife.

MelissaWV
08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
you will forfeit your booty.

That pretty much sums it up.

Schifference
08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I have had this conversation before. It would seem reasonable that the fair market value would be used rather than suggested retail. I would think that if you put the item on ebay and sold it, the taxable value would be the amount you sold it for.

Mani
08-19-2013, 11:42 PM
I have had this conversation before. It would seem reasonable that the fair market value would be used rather than suggested retail. I would think that if you put the item on ebay and sold it, the taxable value would be the amount you sold it for.

I worked with a lady who earned a very modest income as an accounting clerk. She won a Snowmobile on a radio show, and then had to take out a small loan to pay the upfront taxes on it.

We live in a strange world.

Keith and stuff
08-20-2013, 12:13 AM
I worked with a lady who earned a very modest income as an accounting clerk. She won a Snowmobile on a radio show, and then had to take out a small loan to pay the upfront taxes on it.

We live in a strange world.
And then sold it and made cash?

angelatc
08-20-2013, 12:17 AM

You'd be wrong. The real kicker is that in the real world, nobody eve actually pays suggested retail.

As for your plan, people would simply pretend to sell their winnings for a mere fraction of their actual value in order to deflate their tax burden.

MRK
08-20-2013, 06:19 AM
hahaha what a charade. i just imagine the old person sitting in their little apartment every day watching the show hoping they can one day become a contestant. miraculously it happens and then they win and get their prize but OH WAIT it was a lie they cant actually afford it there was never going to be any white knight to save them from their poverty after all. it was all a charade. how tragically metaphoric to their social security payments.

tod evans
08-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Bread-n-circuses...

MRK
08-20-2013, 06:50 AM
the sad thing about california making people pay the taxes upfront is that the game shows probably lobbied to make that happen so they wouldnt have to give out as many prizes when people wouldnt be able to afford redeeming them. it was probably an easy sell to the legislators, after all it would make their budgets bigger by making sure they get the taxes paid and dont have to chase people down across state lines.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Bread-n-circuses...

Bingo, bango!

VIDEODROME
08-20-2013, 06:59 AM
So I guess just aim for Jeaopardy and plan for money.

I suppose it's no wonder the main Jeaopardy sponsor is Aleve, because you are in for a headache when the IRS corners you.

Americans1st
08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Similar to the lottery. You won 2 million dollars? Or 800,000 after cash payout, fed and state taxes.

lib3rtarian
08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman."

- The Beatles, Taxman.

jbauer
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Company I worked for would give out these stupid awards. Things I would never purchase. Then you'd get billed on your next commission statement for the taxes due on said awards. They weren't impressed when I returned said award to their office and demanded a refund of the taxes not agreed upon that were unjustly withheld. Coincidently they changed the program after my pissing match with them so that the taxes were paid as part of the award. Although they found my actions to be quite rude.

Mani
08-20-2013, 09:39 AM
And then sold it and made cash?

I cant remember if she eventually sold it. It was 20 years ago.

angelatc
08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Company I worked for would give out these stupid awards. Things I would never purchase. Then you'd get billed on your next commission statement for the taxes due on said awards. They weren't impressed when I returned said award to their office and demanded a refund of the taxes not agreed upon that were unjustly withheld. Coincidently they changed the program after my pissing match with them so that the taxes were paid as part of the award. Although they found my actions to be quite rude.

I've seen worse. A company I used to work for moved a guy, and the moving expenses have to be reported as income. Most people then write the expenses off so it's sort of a wash. But this guy didn't have enough deductions to itemize, so he ended up having to pay income taxes on money he never actually received.

Tod
08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Some years ago there was a contest locally with the prize being a brand new house. The guy that won it couldn't afford it because of the taxes. Kinda sad.

amy31416
08-20-2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.grabow.biz/images/talent/DrewCarey.jpg

HOLLYWOOD
08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
so sell the winning prizes to a relative for $1 dollar and declare the loss on the 1040?

Be funny is all these game shows had a "Loan Dept" so winners could pay the tax enforcements... Drew Carry plugging the "Loan Price Is Right Really Quicken Loans"

dannno
08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow, I totally thought they would give you cash value.. You have to pay the taxes UP FRONT on about $30k "worth" of prizes and no cash option?! WTF!!

That's REALLY bad.

If enough people find out about this they will stop watching and participating... maybe the show will finally decide to pony up the tax burden for the winners??

Kotin
08-20-2013, 10:38 AM
sounds like 'Merica

oyarde
08-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Company I worked for would give out these stupid awards. Things I would never purchase. Then you'd get billed on your next commission statement for the taxes due on said awards. They weren't impressed when I returned said award to their office and demanded a refund of the taxes not agreed upon that were unjustly withheld. Coincidently they changed the program after my pissing match with them so that the taxes were paid as part of the award. Although they found my actions to be quite rude. That was actually quite polite of you , I probably would have set it on fire :)

dannno
08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
My parents won a car when I was younger and had to pay taxes on the 'full retail value' which was about $3,500 or so more than the advertised value in the newspaper.

My dad bitched to the IRS and they ended up letting him pay the taxes on the advertised value. The company that was giving the car away was bitching because they couldn't understand why they weren't grateful for the several thousand dollar upfront tax bill :rolleyes:

The thing is the company giving away the goods I believe gets some sort of tax benefit from writing off the losses or something, I'm not sure but I think they some how benefit from claiming the higher amount - maybe they claim they pay the higher amount and do a separate deal with the company on the side (the car dealer or whoever).

jbauer
08-21-2013, 08:03 AM
That was actually quite polite of you , I probably would have set it on fire :)

Sure you tell some dink that has nothing better to do other than leach off a portion of your earnings by calling themselves middle management and than tell them you don't want some stupid piece of crap that they thought was cool and see how that conversation goes.

I don't work there anymore other circumstances but similar type of BS.

devil21
08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Reminds me of that Oprah "You get a car!" episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CAscBCdaQg

A bunch of people couldn't afford the tax bills for all of Oprah's "gifts".

dannno
09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Reminds me of that Oprah "You get a car!" episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CAscBCdaQg

A bunch of people couldn't afford the tax bills for all of Oprah's "gifts".

It seems like people could sue if they are told they won something, they show it on tv as a promotion, and then deny it to them because they can't pay the taxes.

The Price Is Right should tone down their give-a-ways and pony up the tax bills... I think they would do it if everybody knew cause people would not be as excited about watching people win stuff they probably won't even end up getting, or have to pay $1,200 for a $4,000 bbq that works slightly better than their old $90 bbq.