PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Mayor Invites Businesses to Post 'Gun-Free Zone' Signs in Their Stores

RonPaulFanInGA
08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/seattle-mayor-invites-businesses-post-gun-free-zone-signs-their-stores

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn, a Democrat, is inviting local merchants to voluntarily post “Gun Free Zone” signs in their businesses, letting customers who have guns know they should shop elsewhere.

“We are here to support businesses that do not wish to have guns on their premises” McGinn said in a press release issued by Washington CeaseFire, which is partnering with the mayor for the campaign. “The police department regularly enforces trespass laws when a visitor to a business violates that business’s rules.”

“We will continue to do so, and I thank these businesses for standing up for the safety of their customers,” McGinn said.

About a dozen businesses have signed up so far, according to a King5.com report.

asurfaholic
08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
A publicly open place can't null and void a constitutional right simply by posting a sign.

People should open carry directly into those stores. Activism - out loud.

jbauer
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
So can I put a sign up that says no wheelchair access, shop elsewhere? (Abercrombie and finch story) Or no white people allowed? Next time a "kreepy ass cracker" walks in my door I'm calling the cops. My sign says so.

A Son of Liberty
08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
A publicly open place can't null and void a constitutional right simply by posting a sign.

They're not nullifying a constitutional right. The Bill of Rights restricts the federal government from infringing upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms. The owner of private property has the right to deny access to whomever they wish, for whatever reason.

Now, of course the federal government thinks it has the power to tell you as a business owner to whom you must make your goods and services available... but I don't expect we'll see this administration make use of that supposed authority.

ZENemy
08-19-2013, 02:14 PM
They should call these "Robbery Zones"

A Son of Liberty
08-19-2013, 02:15 PM
They should call these "Robbery Zones"

Correct.

In an actual free country, the uptick in crime at these locations, owned by these very stupid people, that would be the inevitable outcome. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the city beef up is police presence near these stores, or provide some kind of subsidy to those who sign up.

Dr.3D
08-19-2013, 02:18 PM
So can I put a sign up that says no wheelchair access, shop elsewhere? (Abercrombie and finch story) Or no white people allowed? Next time a "kreepy ass cracker" walks in my door I'm calling the cops. My sign says so.
Sounds logical to me.

aGameOfThrones
08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Does not apply to me...

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/15412/article_559e59ef21a7bb7a_1333809577_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Acala
08-19-2013, 02:57 PM

You SHOULD be able to do so, yes.

Acala
08-19-2013, 02:59 PM

The Bill of Rights restrains government (in theory), not private individuals.

Seraphim
08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
THIS.

The Constitution is a set of restrictions on GOVERNMENT.

If a private property owner forbids guns on their property, that is their right and can tell you to FUCK OFF if they want.

They're not nullifying a constitutional right. The Bill of Rights restricts the federal government from infringing upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms. The owner of private property has the right to deny access to whomever they wish, for whatever reason.

Now, of course the federal government thinks it has the power to tell you as a business owner to whom you must make your goods and services available... but I don't expect we'll see this administration make use of that supposed authority.

Pericles
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Need to get a rifle rack for my business so that people have a place to put their ARs.

Neil Desmond
08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Correct.

In an actual free country, the uptick in crime at these locations, owned by these very stupid people, that would be the inevitable outcome. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the city beef up is police presence near these stores, or provide some kind of subsidy to those who sign up.
I wonder if they realize that they're inviting potential criminals to rob their businesses by announcing that they're vulnerable? They're also giving society a reason to boycott their business, and that's not good for business.

This idea by this mayor to post "Gun-Free Zone" signs translates to "create more artificial demand for & dependence on big government." It's sort of a kingdom of power for people like this mayor, where they have more police, more prisons, and more people to fill those prisons. No wonder the US is a country that has one of the highest percentages of its population behind bars; it's because of dumbass jerks like this mayor.

Let's put out a counter-invite to businesses to say no to reckless ideas that are destructive to our society.

DamianTV
08-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Great. Now those with guns that are still willing to break the law know who to commit Robbery against without risk.

Philhelm
08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Need to get a rifle rack for my business so that people have a place to put their ARs.

Can I sling it over my shoulder instead?

Origanalist
08-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone wondered if the store owners are unarmed? Just because they want their customers unarmed doesn't mean they are. Regardless, I'm sure this will be a smashing success in Seattle.

DamianTV
08-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Has anyone wondered if the store owners are unarmed? Just because they want their customers unarmed doesn't mean they are. Regardless, I'm sure this will be a smashing success in Seattle.

Good point.

Pericles
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Can I sling it over my shoulder instead?

Of course, it should be within reach at all times, in case we are boarded by land pirates.

Big Hoss
08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Go ahead. Its just an open invitation to being robbed.

Neil Desmond
08-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Then it wouldn't be a gun-free zone.