PDA

View Full Version : "Glenn Greenwald's Partner Questioned Under Terrorism Act"

better-dead-than-fed
08-18-2013, 12:38 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/18/glenn-greenwald-guardian-partner-detained-heathrow

The partner of the Guardian journalist who has written a series of stories revealing mass surveillance programmes by the US National Security Agency was held for almost nine hours on Sunday by UK authorities as he passed through London's Heathrow airport on his way home to Rio de Janeiro.

David Miranda, who lives with Glenn Greenwald, was returning from a trip to Berlin when he was stopped by officers at 8.30am and informed that he was to be questioned under schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000. The controversial law, which applies only at airports, ports and border areas, allows officers to stop, search, question and detain individuals.

The 28-year-old was held for nine hours, the maximum the law allows before officers must release or formally arrest the individual. According to official figures, most examinations under schedule 7 – over 97% – last under an hour, and only one in 2,000 people detained are kept for more than six hours.

Miranda was then released without charge, but officials confiscated electronics equipment including his mobile phone, laptop, camera, memory sticks, DVDs and games consoles.

Since 5 June, Greenwald has written a series of stories revealing the NSA's electronic surveillance programmes, detailed in thousands of files passed to him by whistleblower Edward Snowden. The Guardian has also published a number of stories about blanket electronic surveillance by Britain's GCHQ, also based on documents from Snowden.

While in Berlin, Miranda had visited Laura Poitras, the US film-maker who has also been working on the Snowden files with Greenwald and the Guardian.

"This is a profound attack on press freedoms and the news gathering process," said Greenwald. "To detain my partner for a full nine hours while denying him a lawyer, and then seize large amounts of his possessions, is clearly intended to send a message of intimidation to those of us who have been reporting on the NSA and GCHQ. The actions of the UK pose a serious threat to journalists everywhere.

"But the last thing it will do is intimidate or deter us in any way from doing our job as journalists. Quite the contrary: it will only embolden us more to continue to report aggressively."

A spokesperson for the Guardian said: "We were dismayed that the partner of a Guardian journalist who has been writing about the security services was detained for nearly nine hours while passing through Heathrow airport. We are urgently seeking clarification from the British authorities."

A spokesperson for Scotland Yard said: "At 08:05 on Sunday 18 August 2013 a 28-year-old man was detained at Heathrow airport under schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000. He was not arrested. He was subsequently released at 17:00."

Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act has been widely criticised for giving police broad powers under the guise of anti-terror legislation to stop and search individuals without prior authorisation or reasonable suspicion – setting it apart from other police powers. Those stopped have no automatic right to legal advice and it is a criminal offense to refuse to cooperate with questioning under schedule 7, which critics say is a curtailment of the right to silence.

Last month, the UK government announced it would reduce the maximum period of detention to six hours, and promised a review of the operation on schedule 7 amid concerns that it unfairly targets minority groups and gives individuals fewer legal protections than they would have if detained at a police station.

angelatc
08-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, the journalists who are on board with the government do not have to worry about such things, now do they?

green73
08-18-2013, 12:59 PM
WTF

Brian4Liberty
08-18-2013, 01:23 PM
The title of this thread should be "Glenn Greenwald's Partner kidnapped and robbed".

Detaining my partner: a failed attempt at intimidation

The detention of my partner, David Miranda, by UK authorities will have the opposite effect of the one intended

At 6:30 am this morning my time - 5:30 am on the East Coast of the US - I received a telephone call from someone who identified himself as a "security official at Heathrow airport." He told me that my partner, David Miranda, had been "detained" at the London airport "under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act of 2000."

David had spent the last week in Berlin, where he stayed with Laura Poitras, the US filmmaker who has worked with me extensively on the NSA stories. A Brazilian citizen, he was returning to our home in Rio de Janeiro this morning on British Airways, flying first to London and then on to Rio. When he arrived in London this morning, he was detained.

At the time the "security official" called me, David had been detained for 3 hours. The security official told me that they had the right to detain him for up to 9 hours in order to question him, at which point they could either arrest and charge him or ask a court to extend the question time. The official - who refused to give his name but would only identify himself by his number: 203654 - said David was not allowed to have a lawyer present, nor would they allow me to talk to him.
But they obviously had zero suspicion that David was associated with a terrorist organization or involved in any terrorist plot. Instead, they spent their time interrogating him about the NSA reporting which Laura Poitras, the Guardian and I are doing, as well the content of the electronic products he was carrying. They completely abused their own terrorism law for reasons having nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism: a potent reminder of how often governments lie when they claim that they need powers to stop "the terrorists", and how dangerous it is to vest unchecked power with political officials in its name.

Worse, they kept David detained right up until the last minute: for the full 9 hours, something they very rarely do. Only at the last minute did they finally release him. We spent all day - as every hour passed - worried that he would be arrested and charged under a terrorism statute. This was obviously designed to send a message of intimidation to those of us working journalistically on reporting on the NSA and its British counterpart, the GCHQ.

Before letting him go, they seized numerous possessions of his, including his laptop, his cellphone, various video game consoles, DVDs, USB sticks, and other materials. They did not say when they would return any of it, or if they would.

This is obviously a rather profound escalation of their attacks on the news-gathering process and journalism. It's bad enough to prosecute and imprison sources. It's worse still to imprison journalists who report the truth. But to start detaining the family members and loved ones of journalists is simply despotic. Even the Mafia had ethical rules against targeting the family members of people they feel threatened by. But the UK puppets and their owners in the US national security state obviously are unconstrained by even those minimal scruples.

If the UK and US governments believe that tactics like this are going to deter or intimidate us in any way from continuing to report aggressively on what these documents reveal, they are beyond deluded. If anything, it will have only the opposite effect: to embolden us even further. Beyond that, every time the US and UK governments show their true character to the world - when they prevent the Bolivian President's plane from flying safely home, when they threaten journalists with prosecution, when they engage in behavior like what they did today - all they do is helpfully underscore why it's so dangerous to allow them to exercise vast, unchecked spying power in the dark.

David was unable to call me because his phone and laptop are now with UK authorities. So I don't yet know what they told him. But the Guardian's lawyer was able to speak with him immediately upon his release, and told me that, while a bit distressed from the ordeal, he was in very good spirits and quite defiant, and he asked the lawyer to convey that defiance to me. I already share it, as I'm certain US and UK authorities will soon see.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/18/david-miranda-detained-uk-nsa

Anti Federalist
08-18-2013, 01:26 PM
"We're watching you fuckos, and next time, it might not work out so well." - Officer Freindly

BenIsForRon
08-18-2013, 01:28 PM
UK authorities doing the bidding of the US executive branch. This is so fucked.

A Son of Liberty
08-18-2013, 01:47 PM
No one else found it ironic that his last name is Miranda?

enhanced_deficit
08-18-2013, 01:54 PM

They both report to the same Supreme Authority.. for the most part.

Both Iran and US hold elections to change Presidents who in turn act as PR officers; difference is that Iran's Supreme Leaders are in public view, in US they hide behind thick curtains and sit on loads of usurped cash.

Brian4Liberty
08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
The Empire doesn't like free speech or a free press. Off to the Gulag for you.

Occam's Banana
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I feel ever so much safer now ...

Cap
08-18-2013, 02:41 PM
These worthless fucks are in full court press mode.

surf
08-18-2013, 02:59 PM
it's about time for this to backfire on these miserable pricks.

here's hoping for a Snowden release showing that secret british 'courts' have found this "section 7" to be contradictory to the magna carta

Contumacious
08-18-2013, 03:11 PM
David Miranda, who lives with Glenn Greenwald, was returning from a trip to Berlin when he was stopped by officers at 8.30am and informed that he was to be questioned under schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

Boy he is lucky. that he wasn't held under schedule 7.5.

That one is a biatch.

ClydeCoulter
08-18-2013, 03:16 PM
No one else found it ironic that his last name is Miranda?

Yes, I did and you would have saved me a post, but I decided to acknowledge yours to give it more attention :)

edit: It's getting beyond a little eerie that this happens so often.

liberty2897
08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
This is a disturbing display of "fuck you" meant to be seen by all of us who care about freedom enough to speak up.

Antischism
08-18-2013, 04:12 PM
That's his boyfriend/husband, correct? I remember reading that they shared a place in Brazil.

FSP-Rebel
08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I wonder what kind of response one would have gotten if they told the Crown a couple hundred years ago that they'd be the US govs bitch at this point in the future?

anaconda
08-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Rand should be able to spin this one into MORE government bullying. Aren't there laws on the books regarding harassment? That one can fight if they have enough money?

twomp
08-18-2013, 04:49 PM
We need a Britain is our bitch meme.

GunnyFreedom
08-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, the journalists who are on board with the government do not have to worry about such things, now do they?

I suppose that all depends on how Feinstein defines 'journalist.'

anaconda
08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
I think this could be a significant event if we make it so. I think it needs to be determined if Greenwald's partner can sue. I think it's a dangerous precedent to let Glenn be screwed with like this without any attempt at push back.

CPUd
08-18-2013, 06:31 PM
We need a Britain is our bitch meme.

http://i.imgur.com/VcYnxuU.png

AngryCanadian
08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VcYnxuU.png

So the map the place where it shows as evil doers is where the Balkans is located? and Russia as an communists? that map is lol.

fr33
08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
We are all considered terrorists. Of course it's not a new thing but this process of detainment is just more proof that the word really means nothing to the government. It's just an effective label they can use to violate people's rights.

Occam's Banana
08-18-2013, 07:30 PM
So the map the place where it shows as evil doers is where the Balkans is located? and Russia as an communists? that map is lol.

It is also RACIST!! Either there's no Africa - or Africa is all-white ... :eek:

fr33
08-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Greenwald says Brazilian govt has condemned UK actions.

http://i39.tinypic.com/fvz3pk.png

http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/sala-de-imprensa/notas-a-imprensa/retencao-de-nacional-brasileiro-em-londres

I don't speak the language but I'll take his word for it.

limequat
08-18-2013, 08:00 PM
So can we call the UK gay rights abusers?

Mani
08-19-2013, 04:50 AM
THey so desperately want to know what else Snowden has, they are hoping that maybe Greenwald's partner has some stuff...So they stole all his electronics.

So detain him, intimidate him, send a warning to anyone involved in the Snowden affairs, and hope to get lucky and find some stuff Greenwald is planning.

You know Greenwald said there is MORE COMING. So the govbmnt is trying to find out what it is...and also send a message that if you get involved we are going to fuck with your life....Your friends, family, acquaintances.

But of course you still have Freedom of the Press!!!!! (wink Wink)

It's so ridiculous how they don't even bother to hide it anymore, they are so obvious with their bullying of others.

Cap
08-19-2013, 06:07 AM
In this New York Times piece: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/world/europe/britain-detains-partner-of-reporter-tied-to-leaks.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&

Mr. Miranda was in Berlin to deliver documents related to Mr. Greenwald’s investigation into government surveillance to Ms. Poitras, Mr. Greenwald said. Ms. Poitras, in turn, gave Mr. Miranda different documents to pass to Mr. Greenwald. Those documents, which were stored on encrypted thumb drives, were confiscated by airport security, Mr. Greenwald said. All of the documents came from the trove of materials provided to the two journalists by Mr. Snowden. The British authorities seized all of his electronic media — including video games, DVDs and data storage devices — and did not return them, Mr. Greenwald said.
It looks like a possible documentary is in the works with GG and Ms. Poitras.

Mr. Greenwald’s partner, David Michael Miranda, 28, is a citizen of Brazil. He had spent the previous week in Berlin visiting Laura Poitras, a documentary filmmaker who has also been helping to disseminate Mr. Snowden’s leaks, to assist Mr. Greenwald.
I hope that the encryption is unbreakable and that as punishment, GG discloses something big. Make em pay. I also hope this doesn't scare Greenwald off. His partner was more than likely threatened and told to give GG a message that he couldn't refuse. If this escalates any further, we could possibly see loss of life.

tod evans
08-19-2013, 06:11 AM
I don't expect Mr. Greenwald is going to have a known associate moving sensitive data through international airports unless he's baiting the government...

ghengis86
08-19-2013, 06:20 AM
I don't expect Mr. Greenwald is going to have a known associate moving sensitive data through international airports unless he's baiting the government...

Or at least be fully cognizant that anything and everything will be searched/confiscated and prepare accordingly.

Also, how did Miranda get to Berlin with the data without the same treatment? Stopping him on the way home is like closing the barn door after the horse got out...

Maybe he received the docs while in Berlin via encrypted e-mail/download?

Cap
08-19-2013, 06:26 AM
Or at least be fully cognizant that anything and everything will be searched/confiscated and prepare accordingly.

Also, how did Miranda get to Berlin with the data without the same treatment? Stopping him on the way home is like closing the barn door after the horse got out...

Maybe he received the docs while in Berlin via encrypted e-mail/download?It was mentioned that there was an exchange of documents.

limequat
08-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Hopefully this is the case. Remember when the laptop was stolen out of their Brazilian home? That kinda sounded like a bait as well.

Occam's Banana
08-19-2013, 09:15 AM

A klassic kase of Keystone Koppery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Cops) ....

HOLLYWOOD
08-19-2013, 10:46 AM
You think Britain stands for FREEDOM? THINK AGAIN... and this is besides; invading, overthrowing governments/countries, bribing /murdering foreign people/governments and the stealing natural resources around the world. We all witnessed first hand, how Julian Assange has been treated in the False Rule of Law in Britain and their thuggery of state sponsored terror on people.

Here's EXACTLY what the British government is about, note the BOLD highlights:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/for-media/press-releases/uk-detention-guardian-employee-heathrow-unlawful-and-unwarranted-2013-08-18
18 August 2013

UK: Detention of Guardian employee at Heathrow unlawful and unwarranted

A Guardian newspaper employee detained today while in transit at a London airport is clearly a victim of unwarranted revenge tactics, targeted for no more than who he is married to, Amnesty International said today.
David Michael Miranda is married to Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian journalist who analyzed and published information on documents disclosing sweeping, systematic and unlawful surveillance by the US government. These documents were released by Edward Snowden.
Miranda was detained while in transit in Heathrow and was held in detention for nearly nine hours – the point at which the government would have had to seek further authority to continue the detention.
“It is utterly improbable that David Michael Miranda, a Brazilian national transiting through London, was detained at random, given the role his husband has played in revealing the truth about the unlawful nature of NSA surveillance,” said Widney Brown, Senior Director of International Law and Policy at Amnesty International.
“David’s detention was unlawful and inexcusable. He was detained under a law that violates any principle of fairness and his detention shows how the law can be abused for petty vindictive reasons.”

He was detained under Schedule 7 of the UK terrorism Act of 2000, an extremely broad law which has repeatedly been criticized for making the abuse of individuals possible because it is so vague. So far, calls to reform the law have not been heeded.

He was held for almost nine hours and many of his possessions were confiscated by the government.“There is simply no basis for believing that David Michael Miranda presents any threat whatsoever to the UK government.

The only possible intent behind this detention was to harass him and his husband, Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, for his role in analyzing the data released by Edward Snowden.”

"States cannot pass anti-terror acts and claim they are necessary to protect people from harm and then use them to retaliate against someone exercising his rights. By targeting Miranda and Greenwald, the government is also sending a message to other journalists that if they maintain their independence and report critically about governments, they too may be targeted."

Background:

Schedule 7 is the law that allows the police to detain anyone at the UK borders without any requirement to show probable cause and hold them for up to nine hours, without seeking further justification. The detainee must respond to any questions, regardless of whether a lawyer is present. No lawyer is provided automatically.

It is a criminal offence for the detainee to refuse to answer questions -- regardless of the grounds for that refusal or otherwise fully cooperate with the police.

According to the advice published by the Association of Chief Police Officers’, Schedule 7 should only be used to counter terrorism and may not be used for any other purpose.

A similarly over-broad and vague section of the Act which allowed stop and frisk without any grounds was held to be unlawful by the European Court of Human Rights in 2010. Section 44 - as it was known - violated Article 8 of the European Charter of Human Rights which protects privacy.

limequat
08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Now some are guessing that this is leading to a formal indictment...of GREENWALD!
WTF?

Warlord
08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Now some are guessing that this is leading to a formal indictment...of GREENWALD!
WTF?

I doubt it

tod evans
08-19-2013, 11:17 AM
WTF?

By the Brits or the US?

Warlord
08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
check out Greenwald's reporting on the detention of his partner:

---
This is obviously a rather profound escalation of their attacks on the news-gathering process and journalism. It's bad enough to prosecute and imprison sources. It's worse still to imprison journalists who report the truth. But to start detaining the family members and loved ones of journalists is simply despotic. Even the Mafia had ethical rules against targeting the family members of people they felt threatened by. But the UK puppets and their owners in the US national security state obviously are unconstrained by even those minimal scruples.

If the UK and US governments believe that tactics like this are going to deter or intimidate us in any way from continuing to report aggressively on what these documents reveal, they are beyond deluded. If anything, it will have only the opposite effect: to embolden us even further. Beyond that, every time the US and UK governments show their true character to the world - when they prevent the Bolivian President's plane from flying safely home, when they threaten journalists with prosecution, when they engage in behavior like what they did today - all they do is helpfully underscore why it's so dangerous to allow them to exercise vast, unchecked spying power in the dark.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/18/david-miranda-detained-uk-nsa

tod evans
08-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Scathing and factual!

Hoo-rah!:D

Warlord
08-19-2013, 12:09 PM
///

Brian4Liberty
08-19-2013, 12:19 PM
You think Britain stands for FREEDOM? THINK AGAIN...

Background:

Schedule 7 is the law that allows the police to detain anyone at the UK borders without any requirement to show probable cause and hold them for up to nine hours, without seeking further justification. The detainee must respond to any questions, regardless of whether a lawyer is present. No lawyer is provided automatically.

It is a criminal offence for the detainee to refuse to answer questions -- regardless of the grounds for that refusal or otherwise fully cooperate with the police.

That's why the Revolutionary War was fought.

EBounding
08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
The comments on the HuffPo's sensationalist headline is like a 2-minutes Hate session.

http ://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/glenn-greenwald-uk-secrets-britain-detains-partner_n_3779667.html#comments

Root
08-19-2013, 12:38 PM
David was unable to call me because his phone and laptop are now with UK authorities. So I don't yet know what they told him. But the Guardian's lawyer was able to speak with him immediately upon his release, and told me that, while a bit distressed from the ordeal, he was in very good spirits and quite defiant, and he asked the lawyer to convey that defiance to me. I already share it, as I'm certain US and UK authorities will soon see.

Can't wait. Go get 'em Glenn.

HOLLYWOOD
08-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Can't wait. Go get 'em Glenn.BLOWBACK BABY! Glenn could be played here, so as to reveal the cards he holds with the NSA material.

Frankly, I would like to see Brasil join Spain and Argentina over the Falklands, just to piss off the 'Allies of Evil' especially Britain's constantly fucking with the world. Keep London busy with that for a change.

Snowden journalist to publish UK secrets after Britain detains partner
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/19/us-usa-security-snowden-brazil-idUSBRE97I0LZ20130819

Related News

Use of UK terror law to detain reporter's partner 'a disgrace' (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/19/us-britain-snowden-detention-idUSBRE97I0J520130819)10:30am EDT
Britain detains partner of journalist linked to Snowden (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/19/us-britain-snowden-miranda-idUSBRE97H0DT20130819)5:27am EDT
EIG may bid for more of Brazilian Batista's troubled EBX group (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/19/eig-ebx-idUSL2N0GJ0EN20130819)12:59am EDT
China seen probing IBM, Oracle, EMC after Snowden leaks (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/16/us-china-ioe-idUSBRE97F02720130816)Fri, Aug 16 2013

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20130819&t=2&i=768551623&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE97I14IH00

By Pedro Fonseca
RIO DE JANEIRO | Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:42am EDT

(Reuters) - The journalist who first published secrets leaked by fugitive former U.S. intelligence agency contractor Edward Snowden vowed on Monday to publish more documents and said Britain will be "sorry" for detaining his partner for nine hours.
British authorities used anti-terrorism laws on Sunday to detain David Miranda, partner of U.S. journalist Glenn Greenwald, as he passed through London's Heathrow airport.
Miranda, 28, a Brazilian citizen, said he was questioned for nine hours before being released without charge, minus his laptop, cellphone and memory sticks, which were seized.
Greenwald, a columnist for Britain's the Guardian newspaper who is based in Rio de Janeiro, said the detention was an attempt to intimidate him for publishing documents leaked by Snowden disclosing U.S. surveillance of global internet communications.
Snowden, who has been granted asylum by Russia (http://www.reuters.com/places/russia), gave Greenwald from 15,000 to 20,000 documents with details of the U.S. National Security Agency's surveillance programs.
"I will be far more aggressive in my reporting from now. I am going to publish many more documents. I am going to publish things on England too. I have many documents on England's spy system. I think they will be sorry for what they did," Greenwald, speaking in Portuguese, told reporters at Rio's airport where he met Miranda upon his return to Brazil (http://www.reuters.com/places/brazil).
"They wanted to intimidate our journalism, to show that they have power and will not remain passive but will attack us more intensely if we continue publishing their secrets," he said.

Miranda told reporters that six British agents questioned him continuously about all aspects of his life during his detention in a room at Heathrow airport. He said he was freed and returned his passport only when he started shouting in the airport lounge.

Brazil's government complained about Miranda's detention in a statement on Sunday that said the use of the British anti-terrorism law was unjustified.

Many Brazilians are still upset with Britain's anti-terrorism policies because of the death of Brazilian electrician Jean Charles de Menezes, who was mistaken for a suspect in a bombing attempt in 2005. Menezes was shot seven times in the head by police on board an underground train at a London station.
Greenwald met with Snowden in June in Hong Kong, from where he published the first of many reports that rattled the U.S. intelligence community by disclosing the breadth and depth of surveillance by the NSA on telephone and internet communications.
Snowden faces criminal charges in the United States after leaking documents disclosing the previously secret U.S. internet and telephone surveillance programs. Russia rejected American pleas to send Snowden back to the United States for trial, instead granting him a year's asylum on August 1.
Brazil, whose president, Dilma Rousseff, is scheduled to make a state visit to Washington in October, declined to consider an asylum request from Snowden. But some politicians angered by the disclosure of NSA surveillance of internet communications of Brazilians proposed granting him asylum in Brazil.
(Report

HOLLYWOOD
08-19-2013, 04:52 PM
update:http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/19/white-house-had-advance-notice-on-heathrow-detention/?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/7cADNvS7Lf93veH.MQBa8w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zMDk7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/theweek/glenn-greenwald-walks-with-his-partner-david-miranda-in-rio-de-janeiros-international-airport-on.jpg
NOW IT'S PERSONAL! (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3e35152-08a6-11e3-ad07-00144feabdc0.html)
http://www.drudgereport.com/i/logo9.gif (http://www.drudgereport.com/)

August 19, 2013, 2:31 PM

White House Had Advance Notice on Heathrow Detention

By Carol E. Lee
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-YO970_greenw_G_20130819141216.jpg
European Pressphoto Agency

A handout picture provided by Brazilian media network ‘O Globo’ shows David Miranda, left, and his partner Glenn Greenwald as they arrive at international airport Galeao Tom Jobim in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 19.

The White House was given advance notice of the British government’s plans to detain the partner of the Guardian reporter who has written a series of high-profile stories about U.S. surveillance practices, a spokesman said Monday.

In the daily White House briefing, spokesman Josh Earnest declined to condemn the detainment and didn’t directly answer questions about whether U.S. officials expressed any concern to their British counterparts about the U.K.’s plans.

“This was something we had an indication was likely to occur,” Mr. Earnest said. “But it’s not something we requested.” (Read the full transcript. (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/19/transcript-white-house-comments-on-heathrow-detention/))
David Miranda, the partner of Guardian reporter Glenn Greenwald, was held Sunday at London’s Heathrow airport for nine hours (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323423804579021311726171426.html). Authorities said he was detained under a U.K. terrorism law, and they confiscated a number of his electronics, including a cellphone and laptop.
Mr. Greenwald is one of the journalists to whom former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden (http://topics.wsj.com/person/S/edward,-snowden/7461) said he leaked secret documents on U.S. surveillance. Since then, Mr. Greenwald has remained closely connected to Mr. Snowden’s case.
The White House’s Mr. Earnest said he didn’t know how far in advance American officials were notified, nor whether the U.S. expects to be briefed on what information British authorities obtained during his questioning.

better-dead-than-fed
08-21-2013, 01:39 AM
This is obviously a rather profound escalation of their attacks on the news-gathering process and journalism.

Greenwald continues confusing the issue. The attack occurred in 1917 in the U.S. with passage of the Espionage Act:

Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes, transmits, or otherwise makes available to an unauthorized person... any classified information... concerning the communication intelligence activities of the United States... Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

http://ablogonpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/06/who-should-be-allowed-to-violate.html

This legislative act is unconstitutional (1st Amendment) and therefore void, and I am happy to see it violated; but Greenwald has a shady way of talking around this issue.

better-dead-than-fed
08-21-2013, 06:02 PM
"Defending Privacy at the U.S. Border: A Guide for Travelers Carrying Digital Devices" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425012-quot-Defending-Privacy-at-the-U-S-Border-A-Guide-for-Travelers-Carrying-Digital-Devices-quot)

tangent4ronpaul
08-21-2013, 10:51 PM
David Miranda feels 'invaded' after password disclosure
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23776243

Mr Miranda told the BBC he was forced to disclose his social media passwords.

"They said I had to co-operate or else I was going to jail."

He told the BBC he did not know what he was carrying.

"Laura and Glenn are both journalists and I trust them. It never occurred to me that anything I would be carrying was material for terrorists," he said.

His lawyers said they had confiscated his laptop, an additional hard drive, two memory sticks, a mobile phone, a smart watch and a video games console.

Under schedule 7, if someone fails to co-operate they are deemed to have committed a criminal offence and could face up to three months in prison, a fine or both.

Home Secretary Theresa May said the police had to act if someone had "highly sensitive, stolen information".

"The problem the state is dealing with here is that they worry that some material, if published, might damage national security," he told the BBC.

Mr Miranda's law firm Bindmans has written to the home secretary and the Metropolitan Police challenging the legality of the decision to detain him using schedule 7.

They have also demanded assurances that none of the material seized will be disclosed or shared.

Government officials and lawyers are meeting to discuss the request.

to contact the Guardian about material it had obtained from Mr Snowden.

The discussions resulted in the newspaper destroying a number of computer hard drives in July, under the supervision of intelligence experts from GCHQ.

It is understood the files had already been copied, and the Guardian is expected to continue pursuing the Snowden story from the US.

-t

better-dead-than-fed
08-21-2013, 11:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23776243
Mr Miranda told the BBC he was forced to disclose his social media passwords.... Under schedule 7, if someone fails to co-operate they are deemed to have committed a criminal offence and could face up to three months in prison, a fine or both.

So if you travel through U.K., and they ask you your passwords or any other questions, and you remain silent, that is a crime, apparently.