PDA

View Full Version : Lavabit.com Owner: 'I Could Be Arrested' For Resisting Surveillance Order

DamianTV
08-17-2013, 06:10 PM
http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/08/17/0426206/lavabitcom-owner-i-could-be-arrested-for-resisting-surveillance-order
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/13/20008036-lavabitcom-owner-i-could-be-arrested-for-resisting-surveillance-order?lite

"NBC News is reporting that 'The owner of an encrypted email service used by ex-NSA contractor Edward Snowden said he has been threatened with criminal charges for refusing to comply with a secret surveillance order to turn over information about his customers. "I could be arrested for this action," Ladar Levison told NBC News about his decision to shut down his company, Lavabit LLC, in protest over a secret court order he had received from a federal court that is overseeing the investigation into Snowden.''"

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-17-2013, 06:14 PM
he should just spill the beans, they're going to get their way either way, might as well make it worth it.

BuddyRey
08-17-2013, 06:30 PM
he should just spill the beans, they're going to get their way either way, might as well make it worth it.

I say he oughtta keep quiet, and make those filthy bureaucrats earn their paychecks for once. ;)

asurfaholic
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
He needs friends with guns, lots of them.

qh4dotcom
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
I say he oughtta keep quiet, and make those filthy bureaucrats earn their paychecks for once. ;)

How about Mr. Levinson asking for asylum in Russia?

Uriel999
08-17-2013, 08:22 PM
He needs friends with guns, lots of them.

Fuck it, I'll do it. I'll bring a ton of belligerent pissed off 0311's. Sing dude, sing!

idiom
08-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Wow. You lot are so screwed.

DamianTV
08-18-2013, 02:09 AM
How many different ways to they use to try to control us? If they wanted to only use violence, then they would try to deploy the US Military against us a long time ago. They want us to become violent because they are damn good at violence. But when we are not being violent, they attack us by using our Educations against us, feed us false information with the MSM, keep us dependant on them, and making our money worthless. Founding Fathers had it right prior to the Revolutionary War. We undermine their efforts by establishing our own Honest Currency. We teach and overcome the shortcomings of Public Education. We recognize their lies from the MSM being exactly what they are. We bring them down from the inside out. We are the foundation of this country. It was built by our sweat and our blood. They depend on us, and we use that to bring them to their knees.

idiom
08-18-2013, 02:14 AM
You guys are infectious.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/revealed-govt-plans-secret-orders-so-service-providers-under-spy-bill-ck-144562

DamianTV
08-18-2013, 02:20 AM
So are Ideas. I'd rather be infected with the ideas of Liberty than of Tyranny.

idiom
08-19-2013, 09:14 PM
At least out PM is getting thoroughly chewed out for it.

Lucille
09-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Just got an email from C4L:

He's lost his main source of income. He's now effectively unemployed.

And now that his decision to shut down the secure email service Lavabit has created a media firestorm, Ladar Levison has become an even BIGGER target for our national security spy state.

While tech companies like Google, Facebook, and others secretly hand over their users' information to government snoops, Ladar Levison is a true patriot who's proven he's willing to stand up and FIGHT for our constitutional freedoms - even when it's not easy.

[R]ecently, Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer let it slip that when it comes to the NSA, "If you don't comply, it's treason."

Even as I write you, Ladar Levison is embroiled in a MAJOR legal fight, and - he can't say - my guess is he's experiencing very similar threats right now.

That's why, with your help today, I've instructed Campaign for Liberty to aid his legal case in any way possible - including financially.

I believe Ladar's legal fight could have MAJOR legal ramifications down the road, which he'll tell you about as much as he can.

Thankfully, he's also agreed to help Campaign for Liberty in our ongoing battle to protect our Fourth Amendment rights legislatively, as well.

Please take a moment to read the brief email below from Ladar Levison and take action IMMEDIATELY.

And, if possible, agree to your most generous support TODAY!

For Liberty,

Ron Paul
Chairman

Say what's really going on, and go to jail!

Ever since I made the decision a few weeks ago to shut down my secure email company Lavabit - instead of becoming complicit in our federal government's crimes against the American people - that's the situation I've been living under every day.

Unfortunately - even with all the media attention - I have to answer most questions about what our federal government is up to (and what I'm facing) with an "I'm sorry, I can't tell you."

Of course, the First Amendment should protect my political speech so our government can't commit crimes in secret.

But it seems the statists in Washington, D.C. have targeted every last bit of our Constitution for outright destruction.

I'm determined to FIGHT back. I'm determined to defend the Constitution and restore our Fourth Amendment right to privacy.

But going up against the full force of government power is hard.

If there's anything the Feds have, it's no shortage of lawyers!

And I can't tell you what it would mean to me to have Campaign for Liberty's members and supporters standing with me in this fight.
[...]
Thankfully, Campaign for Liberty is already fighting in Congress for the protection of our Fourth Amendment freedoms.

They've also graciously agreed - with your generous support today - to rush to my legal aid, as well.

My attorney and I couldn't be more grateful.

Since shutting down Lavabit, I've lost my main source of income.

Without the financial support of good folks like you, I have no idea how I'll be able to see this legal fight through.

But I'm not walking away. I can't.

It's just too important.

I'm counting on you to sign your Statement of Support today to show you agree. (http://www.chooseliberty.org/supportladar.aspx?pid=0927a)
[...]
Thank you so much for your support.

Sincerely,

Ladar Levison

P.S. Since shutting down Lavabit, I've lost my main source of income.

Without the financial support of good folks like you, I have no idea how I'll be able to see this legal fight through.

Thankfully - with your help - Campaign for Liberty has generously agreed to help my legal fight out in any way possible.

Your generosity today will help my legal efforts AND Campaign for Liberty's ongoing legislative programs, which are every bit as important.

DamianTV
09-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Privacy is NOT Treason. There can be no Treason when the orders given are Unconstitutional. They're loopholing.

The 4th Amendment was not created to protect Criminals.