PDA

View Full Version : Houston Deputy Sues Woman Who Dialed 9-1-1

green73
08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
[video]

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's something you would probably least expect after calling 9-1-1 during an emergency -- a lawsuit. If a deputy was hurt, would you be financially responsible?

A deputy is now suing a woman who called for help during an emergency. It all stems from a deputy-involved shooting that happened in Katy last year.

The deputy says he was injured when she made that call from her subdivision. In this lawsuit, he claims the homeowner failed to adequately warn 9-1-1 of the dangerous situation he was walking into.

The lawsuit just filed in Harris County is raising some eyebrows.

Sheriff's deputy Brady Pullen is suing a woman named Camina Figueroa after a 9-1-1 call the deputy responded to at Figueroa's Katy home back in December.

The lawsuit claims Pullen was violently and physically attacked by a man who'd allegedly been using bath salts as a drug for several days.

"Look, it's unprecedented" Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia said. "So we're allowing our legal staff to manage this case and we'll see where it takes us."

Sheriff Garcia wouldn't say much about Pullen's civil lawsuit but called the filing by his deputy unprecedented.

In the court documents, Pullen alleges Figueroa was negligent because she knew the man's mental state rendered him a danger to others.

Pullen says he suffered a broken nose, concussion, lacerations and bruises when the man in Figueroa's house attacked him. That man was ultimately shot and killed after investigators say he reached for Pullen's gun.

The deputy's Austin-based attorney told me his team's operating under the theory that if someone is injured due to a homeowner or renter's failure to warn of dangerous circumstances, then you have a right to sue.

"The deputy should know, if it's a 9-1-1 call, the deputy has to know it is a dangerous situation," KTRK legal analyst Joel Androphy said.

Androphy calls Deputy Pullen's lawsuit frivolous.

"It sends a bad message out there. And if this lawsuit succeeds, it basically shuts down 9-1-1 calls to some degree, because people will be afraid if they make the call they are going to get sued. And the sheriff should not condone this type of action," Androphy said.

So far, Figueroa has not responded to our requests for comment.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9207650

angelatc
08-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Wow. So we can't sue them personally when they make mistakes that injure us, but they can sue us. Yet another way of elevating themselves over the mundanes.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Wow. So we can't sue them personally when they make mistakes that injure us, but they can sue us. Yet another way of elevating themselves over the mundanes.

LOL - I thought for sure you were coming here to post this:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/deputy-files-civil-lawsuit-against-224751362.html

Again, search fail, because nothing but link was posted.

People: please, post at least a headline, in a non quote box, and not just video, but a title.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2013, 10:06 AM
"It sends a bad message out there. And if this lawsuit succeeds, it basically shuts down 9-1-1 calls to some degree, because people will be afraid if they make the call they are going to get sued. And the sheriff should not condone this type of action," Androphy said.

Never. Call. Cops.

Occam's Banana
08-16-2013, 10:07 AM
It cannot be allowed that brave heroes like Sheriff's Deputy Brady Pullen should ever be subject to even the slightest danger!!!
Officer safety was NOT assured. This cannot be tolerated. Someone must bear the consequences.
(Well ... someone other than the guy who got shot & killed, that is ...)

green73
08-16-2013, 10:29 AM

People: please, post at least a headline, in a non quote box, and not just video, but a title.

I don't understand. There is already a thread on this?

I always try to have the key words in the thread title.

aGameOfThrones
08-16-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't understand. There is already a thread on this?

I always try to have the key words in the thread title.

Yeah, I made one. The one I made has a video only.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424484-Cop-I-m-not-supposed-to-get-hurt-doing-this-job-I-m-going-to-sue-you-now&

acptulsa
08-16-2013, 02:39 PM
There goes society.

Now then. A lowly, minimum wage clerk is working at McDonald's and the air conditioner on the roof catches fire. The clerk doesn't call the fire department and someone in the place gets hurt, and the clerk can be sued. The clerk does call the fire department and a fireman gets hurt, and the clerk can be sued. Hell, someone can call an ambulance after seeing an accident and the accident victim can receive malpractice in the hospital. Would that malpractice have happened if said person had left the accident victim on the sidewalk to suffer?

Why not just pass a law making being a Good Samaritan illegal and be done with it?

DamianTV
08-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Time for another bump of the "Cops are not there to protect you" thread?

kcchiefs6465
08-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Time for another bump of the "Cops are not there to protect you" thread?
I think it is.

Couldn't find it but if you remember the thread name by all means.

It's definitely relevant.

phill4paul
08-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Well it only makes sense. The taxpayers aren't paying enough for services so we have to have "add on" fees....

County May Charge Lost Hikers for Rescue Costs

County officials say they are considering whether to charge the two Trabuco Canyon hikers, who got lost over Easter weekend, $160,000 for the search and rescue costs.

http://alisoviejo.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/county-may-charge-lost-hikers-for-rescue-costs