PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Officer Hailed as Hero After Rescuing Dog From Accident

jtap
08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Almost impossible to believe.

A Pennsylvania patrol officer was proclaimed a hero after he rescued a German shepherd from a car wreck in South Londonberry.

Since the rescue, a photo of patrol officer Nick Ague carrying the dog that his fellow police officers posted to Facebook has gone viral with nearly 4, 500 likes and tons of admiring comments.
“Amazing people still do exist!” one user wrote. Another wrote, “What a special gift you are to the police force and to this German shepherd who needed your help and was given so freely!!!!”

The act of heroism began on Aug. 11, when Ague heard on the radio that there had been a car accident nearby, and that two dogs involved in the crash had fled from the scene.

“I heard other people say they saw a German shepherd running,” Ague told ABC News.com. ”Based on the location I could tell the dog was heading west.”

So Ague and a few fellow officers set out to find the dog, who they later learned was named Mya. They flagged Mya down, but every time they stopped their patrol cars, she would run from them. They called Mya’s owner, and when she arrived on the scene, Mya finally stopped running. And then the dog wouldn’t move at all.

That was when Ague realized something was terribly wrong. He quickly realized that it wasn’t that the dog wouldn’t move but couldn’t move.

“The dog was not moving because the skin on the pads of her feet was hanging, presumably because of the distance she ran,” Ague explained. “She ran two miles from the crash on hot asphalt.

“When I realized that’s why she couldn’t walk,” he said, “the only thing I could think to do was pick her up.”

So he hoisted Mya, who he said weighed around 75 pounds, and carried her about 100 yards to her owner’s car.

Mya’s owner, Megan Smith, declined to comment to ABCNews.com, explaining that she did not want to bring Mya any more publicity. But she said that Mya’s paws were almost healed, and she was now walking normally.

Ague, who has a German shepherd of his own and described himself as “a huge animal lover” (he had petitioned for a canine department in his police force last year) said he never thought of doing anything besides saving Mya.

“Just putting myself in the owners shoes, I would not want to be in that situation. I tried to right any wrong and do what I hoped someone would do for me,” he said.

http://gma.yahoo.com/patrol-officer-hailed-as-hero-after-rescuing-dog-from-accident-222747596.html?vp=1

After reading him say, “the only thing I could think to do was pick her up.”, I realized he must not have been trained where they are training the rest of them.

tod evans
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Kudos for one good act, now build on it.

jllundqu
08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Yeah but he's still a fascist POS with a badge! PIG! If he tried to save my dog like that Id mess him up! All cops are goosestepping thugs!

Do I need the /sarcasm?

lol Good on you, copper, good on you.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Great going officer!

Matthew5
08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
I guess it's good that he didn't just shoot it? :confused: Not sure how carrying a dog makes someone a hero.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
I guess it's good that he didn't just shoot it? :confused: Not sure how carrying a dog makes someone a hero.

It was a good thing that he did. Can we not at least say that? Sheesh.

Matthew5
08-15-2013, 01:39 PM
It was a good thing that he did. Can we not at least say that? Sheesh.

Sure, applause worthy, I suppose. Really tired of the misuse of "hero" in this country though.

fisharmor
08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Sure, applause worthy, I suppose. Really tired of the misuse of "hero" in this country though.

No shit people.

I love these news stories: "Cop behaves like an ordinary human being: gets medal".

Remember the one a couple months ago where some cop in Africa picked up an abandoned baby out of a ditch and got to be a hero?

Give me a fucking break already.
I don't expect cops to behave this way: I expect everybody to behave this way, at all times, without exception.

The fact that everyone considers this guy a hero is an indicator of only one thing: that our expectation of the constabulary is so abysmally low that any evidence that they're actually human beings is blown completely out of proportion.

Matthew5
08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
No shit people.

I love these news stories: "Cop behaves like an ordinary human being: gets medal".

Remember the one a couple months ago where some cop in Africa picked up an abandoned baby out of a ditch and got to be a hero?

I don't expect cops to behave this way: I expect everybody to behave this way, at all times, without exception.

The fact that everyone considers this guy a hero is an indicator of only one thing: that our expectation of the constabulary is so abysmally low that any evidence that they're actually human beings is blown completely out of proportion.

...must spread rep around...

LibertyEagle
08-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Yeah, me too. But, the way I see it, we should applaud what we like, if we want to see more of it. We darn sure criticize the bad; why not applaud the good?

EBounding
08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
This officer put himself in extraordinary danger, so I'm glad he made it home safely. The dog could have bit him or even exploded. You never know.

But seriously, it's a good story. I would have done the same thing.

Origanalist
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
No shit people.

Seriously, so now a simple act of kindness makes one a "hero"? I mean, it's great that he did it but I fail to see what the fuss is about. Is there anyone here who wouldn't have done the same when confronted with a injured dog? Cudo's to the officer for going out of his way to find the dog.

Matthew5
08-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah, me too. But, the way I see it, we should applaud what we like, if we want to see more of it. We darn sure criticize the bad; why not applaud the good?

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg558/lennifer13/Clapping.gif :D

jbauer
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM

He actually unloaded his magazine at the dog because it was barking an a painful way but he missed.

Red Green
08-15-2013, 02:56 PM
This is a case of 'man bites dog', or rather, 'pig doesn't shoot dog'.

asurfaholic
08-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Guess he's right up there with the sports heroes and all I'm supposed to care about.

Shouldn't be news, but it is, I guess. 1 dog saved(?lol) how many killed for barking or whatever?

LibertyEagle
08-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah, why not, just bash everyone. Sheesh. After all, it's what we do best.

phill4paul
08-15-2013, 03:29 PM
act
of
heroism

SMFH. Give him a cookie.

Paulbot99
08-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Good for him. He was a decent heroism and I can imagine that for Mya and her owner, the cop is a hero.

I'm not surprised that this story was picked up. News sites and channels always want a few feel good stories. However, there still needs to be more outrage over the many cops that abuse their power.

Still, kudos to this officer for showing the world that there are humans among the police.

Neil Desmond
08-15-2013, 04:39 PM
No shit people.

act
of
heroism

SMFH. Give him a cookie.

How about cookie medals for everyone?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/sites/bbcgoodfood.com/files/recipe_images/recipe-image-legacy-id--1047512_10.jpg