PDA

View Full Version : Amazon has to shut down associates program in MO due to unconstitutional bill

Roxi
08-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Just got this email from Amazon:

Greetings from the Amazon Associates Program.

We are writing from the Amazon Associates Program to notify you that your Associates account will be closed and your Amazon Services LLC Associates Program Operating Agreement will be terminated effective August 27, 2013. This is a direct result of the unconstitutional Missouri state tax collection legislation passed by the state legislature and signed by Governor Nixon on July 5, 2013, with an effective date of August 28, 2013. As a result, we will no longer pay any advertising fees for customers referred to an Amazon Site after August 27 nor will we accept new applications for the Associates Program from Missouri residents.

Please be assured that all qualifying advertising fees earned prior to August 28, 2013 will be processed and paid in full in accordance with your regular advertising fee schedule. Based on your account closure date of August 27, 2013, any final payments will be paid by October 31, 2013.

While we oppose this unconstitutional state legislation, we strongly support the federal Marketplace Fairness Act now pending before Congress. Congressional legislation is the only way to create a simplified, constitutional framework to resolve interstate sales tax issues and it would allow us to re-open our Associates program to Missouri residents.

We thank you for being part of the Amazon Associates Program, and look forward to re-opening our program when Congress passes the Marketplace Fairness Act.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Associates Team

GregSarnowski
08-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Yes they have done the same thing in many other states. Unfortunately Amazon has been forced to acquiesce in certain states as they diversify/acquire local companies.

Keith and stuff
08-14-2013, 06:32 PM
While we oppose this unconstitutional state legislation, we strongly support the federal Marketplace Fairness Act now pending before Congress. Congressional legislation is the only way to create a simplified, constitutional framework to resolve interstate sales tax issues and it would allow us to re-open our Associates program to Missouri residents.

We thank you for being part of the Amazon Associates Program, and look forward to re-opening our program when Congress passes the Marketplace Fairness Act.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Associates Team

That's awesome! Amazon is lobbying small business to increase regulations on small businesses so that small businesses make more money in states like MO where the government has increased taxes. How Fing annoying! Thanks a lot Amazon! Agghh!

Amazon and the MO government are strange bedfellows working together to oppose the people of general sales tax free New Hampshire, Delaware and Oregon. Sweet!

GregSarnowski
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
That's awesome! Amazon is lobbying small business to increase regulations on small businesses so that small businesses make more money in states like MO where the government has increased taxes. How Fing annoying! Thanks a lot Amazon! Agghh!

Amazon and the MO government are strange bedfellows working together to oppose the people of general sales tax free New Hampshire, Delaware and Oregon. Sweet!

Wait, does that legislation enact some sort of federal sales tax? Why would people in no-sales tax states be affected?

Hopefully it goes nowhere either way.

Keith and stuff
08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Wait, does that legislation enact some sort of federal sales tax? Why would people in no-sales tax states be affected?

Hopefully it goes nowhere either way.

According to the Internet Sales Tax bill, companies in NH/OR/DE will have to collect sales taxes from customers in all areas with sales taxes and send those taxes to the areas where the customers live. Amazon is working very hard to enact the Internet Sales Tax and using these emails to help get small businesses to push MO lawmakers to help great this new law to punish my friends in New Hampshire.

GregSarnowski
08-14-2013, 07:12 PM
According to the Internet Sales Tax bill, companies in NH/OR/DE will have to collect sales taxes from customers in all areas with sales taxes and send those taxes to the areas where the customers live. Amazon is working very hard to enact the Internet Sales Tax and using these emails to help get small businesses to push MO lawmakers to help great this new law to punish my friends in New Hampshire.

Oh I didn't think of that; the compliance costs would be ridiculous. Hopefully the national GOP is good for something and can stop in it the House.

green73
08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Good job government. In your constant pursuit to make life worse for everyone you remain undefeated.

I'm sure some here will ignore you and bitch at Amazon, but they are boobs.

Roxi
08-14-2013, 07:18 PM

and this is the "Marketplace Fairness Act" referred to in the email you are speaking of? I haven't looked into it, so I'm trying to figure out what's what here. So the MFA is NOT going to be a decent bill? (Not like any of them are, but I was hoping)

Matt Collins
08-14-2013, 07:19 PM
See my signature

Roxi
08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
See my signature

Gotcha. Thanks! I'm sure my crappy leaders in MO will do the wrong thing, as usual.

MRK
08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
"While we oppose this unconstitutional state legislation, we strongly support the federal Marketplace Fairness Act now pending before Congress."

lkolololrfolroflroflflforlfolololollolololroflrofl !!111!!!!!1elevenenven!!!

*falls out of chair, dies*

KingRobbStark
08-14-2013, 10:28 PM
"While we oppose this unconstitutional state legislation, we strongly support the federal Marketplace Fairness Act now pending before Congress."

lkolololrfolroflroflflforlfolololollolololroflrofl !!111!!!!!1elevenenven!!!

*falls out of chair, dies*

I will be performing CPR on you.

http://www.wingsdailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/chester.jpg