PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm sorry that I hurt the United States': Bradley Manning apologizes in court

TaftFan
08-14-2013, 03:49 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/14/20020933-im-sorry-that-i-hurt-the-united-states-bradley-manning-apologizes-in-court?lite

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 03:51 PM
This screams "1984" at me. I seriously doubt he said that voluntarily.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Stockholm Syndrome.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2013, 03:54 PM

He might have, under advice of counsel.

Trying to reduce his sentence.

Can't say I blame him, the Americunt people sure don't give a fuck, why should he rot the rest of his life away for trying to expose the truth?

pcosmar
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM

How long was he tortured?

Petar
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
One time a cop was holding me down and grinding his knuckles between the ribs on my back, and then I said ''sorry'' for making fun of them, even though I wasn´t really sorry.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Can't say I blame him, the Americunt people sure don't give a fuck, why should he rot the rest of his life away for trying to expose the truth?

I don't blame him, but I suspect torture was involved.

Why would I know the answer to that? I'm not a government agent:p

One time a cop was holding me down and grinding his knuckles between the ribs on my back, and I said ''sorry'' for making fun of them, even though I wasn´t really sorry.

Yeah, I wasn't denying that he said it, I was denying (Or at least questioning) that he did it voluntarily. Although, Anti Federalist may be correct that it was just to reduce his sentence. I just wonder if there was torture behind closed doors.

dannno
08-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I'll bet Rand would pardon Manning right quick, although he might not run on that platform.

UtahApocalypse
08-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Just lost all respect for him

Acala
08-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't you think that at least one person in that kangaroo court would vomit from the stench of evil and denounce it all? What kind of sick human being can play along with that charade?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-14-2013, 04:08 PM

If that's not a joke, you need to think about his life right now.

pcosmar
08-14-2013, 04:09 PM
What kind of sick human being can play along with that charade?

Government employees.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I'll bet Rand would pardon Manning right quick, although he might not run on that platform.

I don't think so. Don't count on it anyhow.

Would he like to? Possibly. But I don't think he will.

Theocrat
08-14-2013, 04:15 PM

It definitely seems like Manning has a "change of heart" after leaving "Room 101."

The astounding thing about his "confession" is that it is simply not true. His actions have not hurt anyone in the U.S. It is our foreign policy of intervention that has cost the lives of thousands of American citizens, perpetrated by politicians who are paid by organizations that do not care about U.S. national security. They have hurt the United States.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't think so. Don't count on it anyhow.

Would he like to? Possibly. But I don't think he will.

That may not happen on his first day, but that is where we come in. With sufficient public pressure, we make it part of a public debate where he does so.

Big picture, y'all.

fr33
08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Perhaps they'll let him out now so he can spend his days at the Chestnut Tree Cafe.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 04:25 PM
It definitely seems like Manning has a "change of heart" after leaving "Room 101."

Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking (Although I did forget what the room was called) and I agree with everything else you said as well. +rep.

ghengis86
08-14-2013, 04:29 PM

His entire captivity? Solitary, hardly any clothes, bright lights 24/7, 'safety checks' every 15 minutes so he can't sleep. And that's the stuff they've admitted.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Don't come back Ed.

There is nothing for you here, now.

kcchiefs6465
08-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Years.

With many more to come.

AuH20
08-14-2013, 05:03 PM
He may have been lashing out over his gender confusion and now he fully understands the gravity of his situation.

kcchiefs6465
08-14-2013, 05:04 PM
The point of the article.

The good shepherds at AP know you well.

jmdrake
08-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Stockholm Syndrome.

More like "Please don't torture me anymore."

Anti Federalist
08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
The point of the article.

The good shepherds at AP know you well.

Yup. Effective propaganda is effective.

undergroundrr
08-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Heartbreaking. So sad.

jmdrake
08-14-2013, 05:11 PM

For what? Not holding out longer? He got the truth out and any Americans with any brains, ethics and decency support him. Sadly that's not enough to turn the page. :(

GregSarnowski
08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
No doubt he said what he said on the very strong advice of counsel. The system isn't about "justice", it's about "rehabilitation", and you can't be rehabilitated until you admit what you did was wrong. They don't even care if you actually believe what you're telling them; I'm sure the vast majority of felons (especially the non-violent ones) don't.

pcosmar
08-14-2013, 05:14 PM
No doubt he said what he said on the very strong advice of counsel. The system isn't about "justice", it's about "rehabilitation",

NO,, it is not.
Not even close.

The "system" is about protecting the system.

AuH20
08-14-2013, 05:15 PM

I don't think his intentions were as pure as Snowden, but still doesn't deserve any type of sentence like this. Secondly, such a public apology isn't going to reduce his life sentence.

Contumacious
08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/14/20020933-im-sorry-that-i-hurt-the-united-states-bradley-manning-apologizes-in-court?lite

His attorney told him to show repentance. That should shave off 100 years from his sentence.

AuH20
08-14-2013, 05:17 PM
error.

GregSarnowski
08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
NO,, it is not.
Not even close.

OK, so when a prisoner is up for parole and goes before the board, are they more or less likely to be released if they claim to have seen the error of their ways? Or as is the case here, do you think Manning groveling before the judge is going to increase or decrease the sentence handed down? It might not help him much, but it's certainly not going to hurt him like dying on his sword would.

I am condemning the system for this. If something is against the law, which obviously it shouldn't be unless it involves force or fraud, the penalty should be the same regardless of how a prisoner claims to "feel" about what they did.

kcchiefs6465
08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
His attorney told him to show repentance. That should shave off 100 years from his sentence.

He is only facing 90 years. He was facing 136 but the judge dropped it to 90. (I'd imagine by having some of the charges carry concurrent penalties)

I'd expect a sentence of 30 years and wouldn't be surprised if it were higher.

This from a basement in Leavenworth, which to be clear, is torturous in and of itself. (having read about their procedures and the conditions under which many stay)

COpatriot
08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
He has won the victory over himself.

CPUd
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
OK, so when a prisoner is up for parole and goes before the board, are they more or less likely to be released if they claim to have seen the error of their ways? Or as is the case here, do you think Manning groveling before the judge is going to increase or decrease the sentence handed down? It might not help him much, but it's certainly not going to hurt him like dying on his sword would.

I am condemning the system for this. If something is against the law, which obviously it shouldn't be unless it involves force or fraud, the penalty should be the same regardless of how a prisoner claims to "feel" about what they did.

Remorse is generally a prerequisite, but they also seem to be quicker to let the ones out who don't want to get out, and/or the ones who are more likely to return in the near future (particularly drug offenders).

The judge has the power to keep him in there for the rest of his life (if he wins no future appeals or reduction in sentence), or could theoretically sentence him to time served. I don't get why people are saying he is selling out- he's the one who has to do the time.

pcosmar
08-14-2013, 06:42 PM
OK, so when a prisoner is up for parole and goes before the board, are they more or less likely to be released if they claim to have seen the error of their ways?.

Dude,, How about just admitting you know absolutely nothing about it.

You don't.
I do. Sentenced to Three 25 year sentences for armed robbery.. and released on parole..
I was released, on the assumption that I would be back within 5 years.

It has nothing to do with rehabilitation.. or with "justice".

GregSarnowski
08-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Dude,, How about just admitting you know absolutely nothing about it.

You don't.
I do. Sentenced to Three 25 year sentences for armed robbery.. and released on parole..
I was released, on the assumption that I would be back within 5 years.

It has nothing to do with rehabilitation.. or with "justice".

OK serious question: when you were up before the parole board did you act contrite and say you will never do it again or tell them you didn't do anything wrong and should never have been convicted? Or something in between? Obviously there is very little actual "justice" or "rehabilitation" involved, but there is the pretense of it and for that I don't blame Manning for trying to save his own skin.

green73
08-14-2013, 06:50 PM
He may have been lashing out over his gender confusion and now he fully understands the gravity of his situation.

man, you're such a douche bag.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Did you actually commit the crime or were you framed?

As for Manning, he's not selling out. As I said, the man has likely been tortured. I guess Winston Smith is a "Sellout" as well. Even if it were just for quicker parole, I wouldn't call him a sellout, but I'm definitely not convinced that's all it is.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM

You know, I'm no defender of the LGBT community. I believe they have the same legal rights as everyone else, but I believe their actions are immoral, and I think there are a lot of elements of that community that are actively opposed to Christianity and conduct political activism accordingly. I'm no fan of their movement.

Nonetheless, I'm a fan of Bradley Manning.

AuH20
08-14-2013, 06:56 PM

It would explain why he's done such an about face. Snowden wouldn't be cowering like this. Snowden knowingly threw his life away, fully cognizant of the repercussions. Based on the Manning reports, he was acting strange and unstable leading up to the info dump. I speculate that he didn't think this through, especially with the chat room admission.

pcosmar
08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
OK serious question: when you were up before the parole board did you act contrite and say you will never do it again or tell them you didn't do anything wrong and should never have been convicted? Or something in between? Obviously there is very little actual "justice" or "rehabilitation" involved, but there is the pretense of it and for that I don't blame Manning for trying to save his own skin.

I saw the parole board exactly once,, 2 years after I was sentenced. And yes,, I said that I knew I had made a stupid mistake.
My Parole was of course denied.. I was paroled later,, and never saw nor spoke to them at all.

It was in their interest to release me.. The prisons were overcrowded and threatened with Federal action.. and my prison record was good (sort of).

Personally I think God had something to do with it, but that was not a conversation I had with the Parole board.
I got the minimum release, after 6 1/4 years. And many were puzzled by it.. me included.

pcosmar
08-14-2013, 07:48 PM
GregSarnowski,, If you want to understand this, there is another story that gives a clue.
You can read and research the whole thing,, but I will post a part of it.
http://educate-yourself.org/cn/franklincoverupexcerpt.shtml

I shook my head. "I don't understand. I just don't understand," I kept repeating. "Everybody knows what is happening, but nobody is willing to do anything about it. Why? Why?!!" Judge Enbody looked at me and said, very slowly, "If you want to understand the entire Franklin case, I can help you. Go read 'Billy Budd.' Read 'Billy Budd.' If you will do that, John, and if you understand the book, then you will understand the what and why of Franklin, and why it can be no other way. I do not say you will like it. I do not say you will agree with it. But at least you will understand it. That, I promise you. Go read 'Billy Budd'."

Those were the last words I spoke with the Judge on the case. I left his chambers, burnt out, but angry. And I forgot all about Billy Budd, until the night I happened upon the movie. The story of Billy Budd is set in the British Navy near the end of the eighteenth century. Billy was a young sailor, who, although impressed into the British Navy, bore no ill will to the authorities for having dragooned him; indeed, he was the very picture of innocence and good-will, and was almost universally loved aboard his war-ship. One officer, however, developed an insane jealousy of Billy, and set out to frame him up for allegedly inciting mutiny. Since there had been several notorious mutinies in the British fleet at the time, the mere whisper of "mutiny" was enough to spread panic among the ship's officers.

To make a long story short, because of certain incriminating appearances in the case, the captain and his senior officers, although they knew Billy was innocent of all charges, nonetheless sentenced him to hang, a necessity - as they viewed it - to "save the system," not just on their own ship, but in the British fleet as a whole.

Now I think I do understand the Franklin case. I know, now, that all the public officials involved in Franklin-whether they ever heard of Billy Budd or not-fully understood what they were doing.

And what they all have done, and will continue to do in this case, Franklin, and no doubt many others like it, is this: Protect the "system" at all costs. The "system" is the only ultimate sacred cow-not any particular law or constitution, but only "the system." Because, ultimately, it is the system which makes certain that the individuals functioning within it - from judges to lawyers, to prosecutors, to politicians, to businessmen - have their places and positions, and opportunities and pecking order, and future.

And, though it is unfortunate, that on occasion the protection of the "system" requires the deliberate sacrifice of perfectly innocent people, that is hoped overall to be the exception rather than the rule. But without the "system" . .

So, Judge Enbody, now I understand. And, as you said, I may not agree, but I do understand.

But then I have one final, nagging question. How do I know when, or if, the "system" itself has become so corrupted, that evil is the rule, rather than the exception? And when that occurs, what do I do about it? But I think I know the answer to that one - my oId commanding officer in Vietnam told me what I had to do. I made some promises to Bill, and I intend to keep them.

John DeCamp

satchelmcqueen
08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
dont jump to soon. id bet they put all the pressure they could on this guy. i really believe they probably tortured him.

MRK
08-14-2013, 08:28 PM
The man has been in solitary for years. Think about the terrible things that does to a person.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Those of you who have "Lost respect" for Bradley Manning really need to put yourself in this shoes.

I just lost even more respect for flag-waving, America worshipping, warvangelical "Christians."

Carson
08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
I sure he does feel an honest remorse in part.

Still he should harbor an underlying pride in that over all what he shared was needed and good for our country.

KEEF
08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I sure he does feel an honest remorse in part.

Still he should harbor an underlying pride in that over all what he shared was needed and good for our country.

No...he did it (from what psychologists said) because he was harboring homosexual tendencies and couldn't take the pressure in the military. <sarc>

Really, when I read about that today I had to think to myself... OK IF and I mean IF you are in the military and are being bullied/ hazed/ whatever for being gay and/or show feminine qualities and you have access to guns to take care of any so-called bullies via friendly fire or the option to get back at those guys by releasing information how your government is committing huge war crime atrocities... what is your first thing you would do?

Manning is still a hero in my book, I cannot imagine what our government did to him to make him break.

Christian Liberty
08-14-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't honestly care why he did it, only that he did it.

A. Havnes
08-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Reminds me of Ned Stark's death in Game of Thrones, 'confessing' his nonexistent crimes. (Warning: Video contains violence)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6wfXPeJTw

PSYOP
08-21-2013, 08:40 AM

He's trying to reduce his sentence you fucking idiot -- you would have the exact same thing.