PDA

View Full Version : Trevor's planning an MLK fundraiser?

TechnoGuyRob
11-27-2007, 10:41 PM
"And he's not done yet. Lyman said he has already secured the name of yet another site for a possible January 15 stunt to coincide with the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. "MLK had a dream, and I think Ron Paul can make it a reality," Lyman said."

From http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1575145/20071127/id_0.jhtml

Woah woah woah. Back up here.

What? I thought we were doing weekly bombs after the 16th to keep a steady income? :confused: (ronpaulmoneybomb.com)

TheNewYorker
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Please don't do it Trevor.

jake
11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
don't get ahead of yourselves, just focus on the teaparty. (the the 30th of November, if you so desire)

bbachtung
11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
MLK Day is January 21st.

Austin
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm sure he was just throwing it out there..

Also, I do have a question about once-a-week money bombs.. Won't they be losing 4x the money for the transaction fees? That'll add up real quick. Someone should do the math.

me3
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Free market. If you want to participate, participate. If you don't want to, don't.

It's pretty simple.

ssforronpaul
11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Money from MLK day (jan 21) would probably be to late for use on ads in states for Feb. 5. And we need to win in many states on that day.

DjLoTi
11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah. Way too early. Lets keep pushing by all means, but get down from Cloud9 and start getting back to reality.. lol... there's *A LOT* to be done before Jan 21st

Original_Intent
11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Themed Money Bombs are a better idea. The weekly money bombs have been going on for some time now and they just do not generate the interest.

Holding a Money Bomb on MLK day is an awesome idea, people that are trying to make Ron Paul out to be a racist this is a genious way to undermine that false attack.

The steady stream of money approach is nice for making budget, but you get no free press for it. Zero.

My personal opinion is that the 30th was a bad idea. My greatest concern is a lot of the newer people are getting overzealous and acting like we can get as much money any time we want. Yes, we can grow support through the bombs and have more donors for the NEXT bombs - I get it.

But Nvember 30th is getting out of hand. I loved the idea I read in an early post to try to raise a vast sum of money in an hour on the 30th and publicize it as a "server stress test" in preparation for the 16th.

But now the 30th has grown to the day to meet the $12 million goal. I don't think the campaign meeting the quarterly goal a month early is going to be the kind of press that November 5th was, i expect it will get casual mention if it happens. My gut still tells me that it will dilute the Tea Party. Already people are posting that they are losing enthusiasm etc etc and most of the people that still have enthusiasm are prmoting the 30th. My other concern is that most of the people that are gung-ho about the 30th are relatively new posters and I think with their enthusiasm they may have shot our efforts in the foot. Only time will tell.

And now it is growing beyond the 30th. Today, menthol_patch has been trying to promote a quarter of a million dollar mini bomb. People say "well just give on both!" Well, people should give when they want to, but all of these efforts are pulling dollars away from the big, media grabbing events.

"But the campaign sent an email.." If that is your best argument then you have been well programmed to look to central authority to do your thinking for you. Public education ftw!

I expect that if the 30th is dismal, that people who have recently joined the campaign are going to be questioning the patriotism of people who have already put a lot of time, effort and money into this campaign.

I expect that if the $12 million is made on the 30th, they still will not shut up they are going to want to break the 4.3 million dollar day, foolishly not realizing that they are dooming the TeaParty to mediocrity. The worst case scenario I could imagine (other than both days failing, which IS NOT going to happen!) is for us to have two $4 million dollar days that generate moderate media interest. This is the path that I think we are currently going down, and the daily calls for $250,000 - $400,000 days of fundraising are ill-advised.

Go Trevor - you are still the man and I saw your MTV interview, you did a great job!

If you guys do hit or come close to $12 million and the TeaParty is also a huge success (Which I consider $6 million or better to get MSM attention) then i will be the first person on Dec 17th saying "I was wrong guys."

If on the other hand, we have two "so-so" events, and the media coverage is minimal, don't go crying about the lousy media. have the honesty to say "Wow, we really screwed that up."

Not that it will really matter. We get only one shot at this.

max
11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm seldom one to shoot down ideas....

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

1. "Reverend" Martin Luther King was a Marxist, a poverty pimp, a serial adulterer with a fancy for white whores, a race hustler and a proven plagiarist. Why are we as constituitionalist libertarians honoring a left wing , pro big government phony?
2. MLK is a divisive figure. Honoring him will create bitter infighting among us. This forum will explode with rants. I'm turning red as I type!

3. It comes off as if we are trying to impress black folks. That's pathetic and
condescending...
Are we so pathetic and afraid of the media that we have to pull a stupid stunt like MLK Day in order to demonstrate "Hey...see...we're not racists!"

If some black supporters want to do this for black RP fans, thats OK.....but us doing it is really lame

F3d
11-27-2007, 11:21 PM

NewEnd
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

1. "Reverend" Martin Luther King was a Marxist, a poverty pimp, a serial adulterer with a fancy for white whores, a race hustler and a proven plagiarist. Why are we as constituitionalist libertarians honoring a left wing , pro big government phony?
2. MLK is a divisive figure. Honoring him will create bitter infighting among us. This forum will explode with rants. I'm turning red as I type!

condescending...
Are we so pathetic and afraid of the media that we have to pull a stupid stunt like MLK Day in order to demonstrate "Hey...see...we're not racists!"

If some black supporters want to do this for black RP fans, thats OK.....but us doing it is really lame

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TheNewYorker
11-27-2007, 11:24 PM

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

condescending...

Correct sir.

http://www.martinlutherking.org/

Taco John
11-27-2007, 11:24 PM
This is a fantastic idea Trevor... I'm down.

jenius
11-27-2007, 11:25 PM

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

condescending...

Who the hell remembers Martin Luther King, Jr. as a Marxist? WTF are you crying about?

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a CIVIL RIGHTS LEADER, and possibly the most inspirational speaker our country has ever produced.

Ron Paul has already been called "the first civil rights leader to emerge in the 21st Century" by CNN. A money bomb on MLK day is certainly NOT a bad idea.

Though I agree... wait 'til 12-17.

Taco John
11-27-2007, 11:26 PM

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

condescending...

I've got the solve all answer for you: don't participate in it.

I for one will, because I share Dr. King's vision of judging a man based on their individual merits as opposed to their collective traits (ie. skin color).

For now, though, I'm focused on December 16th.

Taco John
11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
By the way The Revolutionary Dr. Martin Luther King was born on January 15th (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_of_Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.)

slantedview
11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
This is not the time to get all worked up about this. Come back in a few months.

hasan
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
This is not the time to get all worked up about this. Come back in a few months.

I second the opinion

Bryan
11-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Dr. Paul did say that MLK was one of his heroes.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=40417

Not that I'm pushing one way or the other... :)

Corydoras
11-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Welllll... Paine's "Common Sense" was published on January 10, 1776...

idiom
11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
I would theme it around the end of the War on Drugs which is a hugely racial piece of legislation. It is also one of Dr. Pauls strongest small government, pro-integration cases.

Also any events that are racially focused should come ahead of the S.C. Primary if possible and have large rallies there.

Ron Paul is a strong anti-racisim candidate and could probably go up against Obama. Obama is accused of not understanding that racisim still exist strongly in the U.S.A.. He thinks that we are all ready to simply move on and forget about it.

RP points to inflation tax that really hurts the poor, the other candidates have a poor grasp of what he is talking about.

RP points to the War on Drugs that is hugely biased in its results against blacks.

I just think if we got his actual positions on these thing out he could do reallly well in S.C.

runningdiz
11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah lets worry about this way later...

Why the hate of MLK? Cant imagine someone "turning red" over the mention of MLK. He was a great Civil Rights leader and I have heard some calling Ron the next great civil rights leader as well. MLK might not have been perfect as you suggested but neither is Ron Paul or anyone. We all have our faults...

steph3n
11-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah lets worry about this way later...

Why the hate of MLK? Cant imagine someone "turning red" over the mention of MLK. He was a great Civil Rights leader and I have heard some calling Ron the next great civil rights leader as well. MLK might not have been perfect as you suggested but neither is Ron Paul or anyone. We all have our faults...

Some among us.......I am all for it MLK was a great civil right activist advocating rights through peaceful disobedience at most.

CelestialRender
11-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Let's try winning some primaries first, team.

IHaveaDream
11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
My screen name may suggest it, but I am not a black supporter. However, I have great admiration for MLK and would heartily endorse some type of recognition from this movement on his behalf. I wouldn't have wanted to be a black citizen in Amercia during the 1960's, and I don't think most of you would either.

Dr. King was the "Ron Paul" of his people. He united them, gave them hope, and inspired many to achieve great things. Sadly, I think the Democratic party undermined that effort by instituting another form of slavery through the welfare state, but that's just my humble opinion.

Love him or hate him, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. dared to stand up and be counted when it counted most. We could all learn a thing or two from him.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter".
-- Dr. Martin Luther King

Naraku
11-28-2007, 09:54 AM
As I understand it the idea first came up on this topic:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=40661

It seems Trevor saw that and thought it was a good idea, particularly by focusing on the "I have a dream" speech.

I personally proposed it because I have an admiration for Martin Luther King Junior, particularly his emphasis on civil disobedience and working towards peaceful change. I think it's a great analogy for what Ron Paul is doing. Of course, this won't be promoted until after the Tea Party.

I do think the weekly money bombs are good, but I also think they generate less interest to donors and likely do not result in the same level of donations. Also, they're generally of less expense to donors so having a big money bomb for people to go all out is a little better.

McDermit
11-28-2007, 10:37 AM
After the 16th, it should be donate as much as you can, as soon as you can, as often as you can. We won't need any more money bombs - in fact, after the 16th, the money bombs likely would hurt the campaign. We'll need to have spent a ton of money by Feb 5th. We need as much as possible, as early as possible.

The only goal for MLK Day should be to outraise Obama, since I'm sure he'll have a good number of donations pouring in if he's still in the race.