PDA

View Full Version : Texas DPS Kills 6 As Result of High-Speed Chase of Stolen Vehicle

SeanTX
08-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Of course, the headline blames the thief -- I blame Texas DPS. They're supposed to be protecting "public safety", not endangering it. God forbid that they back off on a pursuit and try to maybe get him down the road somewhere. Even if he had gotten away, that's better than six people dead.

I can't find a count in any of the articles, but it sounds like the stolen vehicle was only occupied by the thief (who survived) -- if so, that makes six innocents killed by the Dept. of Public Safety (several of them children).

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/thief-kills-6-driving-stolen-pickup-busy-intersection-article-1.1425470

Texas thief kills 6 after driving stolen pickup into busy intersection

By Michael Walsh / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 12:06 PM

Six people died in a brutal South Texas car crash when an alleged thief charged a stolen pickup truck into a busy intersection during a heated pursuit Monday afternoon.

With cops hot on his trail, the driver of the stolen truck, who has not been identified, sped about 100 miles per hour and failed to stop for a traffic light northwest of Mission, a witness said.

"The truck slammed into a white SUV with children in it," Elizabeth Botello told local station KRGV. "It hit another car that was driving in front of me; the truck ended up on top of my car. My two nephews were in my car at the time of the accident. It was horrible, it was horrible. Several children died."

Three others were injured and taken to the McAllen Medical Center, Texas Department of Public Safety officials said.

The man who caused the accident was driving a car that was stolen out of Alton.

SNIP

The suspect managed to flee the scene but was arrested shortly after, DPS said. He was taken into custody after receiving treatment at a local hospital.

SNIP

tod evans
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Can't expect 'roided up heros in blue to think of possible consequences as they protect and serve now can you?

I feel bad for the families of the dead...:(

phill4paul
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
6 lives over an auto theft. SMFH.

JK/SEA
08-13-2013, 11:00 AM
didn't read if any cops were hurt. I think thats the real story here.

tod evans
08-13-2013, 11:01 AM
didn't read if any cops were hurt. I think thats the real story here.

Did ya' click the article?

I didn't....

PaulConventionWV
08-13-2013, 12:35 PM
This isn't news. This shit happens all the time. Have you ever watched Wildest Police Videos? They'll do anything to stop someone suspected of having drugs or speeding just because they think it's their duty to take any and all measures necessary to stop someone who defies their authority. These chases kill people on a regular basis, and for what? It could all be prevented if police pursuits over things like speeding and drugs became a thing of the past. But noooo... gotta catch the bad speeder even if it means endangering the whole city because that one guy "might be a terrorist" or whatever justification they use to keep doing it.

The idiocy of a policy that says you have to take all necessary means to stop someone simply because they didn't want to talk to police is beyond imagination. It's just simple logic that says way less lives would be lost if this policy did not exist. It angers me to no end, and that's why I have a really hard time keeping a straight face around all the crooked cops I see on a regular basis who come into the store where I work.

The injustice of it all just tears me apart, like the deputy sheriff who used to be my next door neighbor that got a 15 year old girl pregnant and somehow isn't in jail for sex with a minor like any of us would be.

SeanTX
08-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Bootlicking Bubbas in the comments to the story and on other sites just keep babbling on and on about "illegals" and how we can't ever let anyone get away from a chase because of "what if this" and "what if that."

They've really got everybody conditioned well -- a bus load of school kids could be taken out in one of these chases, and most people would still justify it. "We can't ever let one get away -- then everybody will run!" ... never mind that most of those who run are just wanted on some chickenshit warrant or have drugs in the car or something else trivial ...

jkr
08-13-2013, 01:15 PM
HEY WAIT JUST ONE DAMN MINUTE!

did the OVERSEER make it home to his family & bourbon ok???

cause that is ALL that matters...

...that and playing irresponsible A$$HOLE on "public" streets...

these "people" are murderers & accomplices of murder

...and we PAY these fuckers to do it...

fisharmor
08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
I dunno, if anything this just proves that child carseats are still insufficient.
:rolleyes:

osan
08-13-2013, 01:49 PM
6 lives over an auto theft. SMFH.

Here you go - seems you need one of these really bad 'bout now:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QxXzCX1G_5Y/UP6CjTJ2QPI/AAAAAAAAAgc/Ib7-kHlT0jo/s1600/Facepalm_facepalm.png

aGameOfThrones
08-13-2013, 02:43 PM
I hope the stolen car was insured.

asurfaholic
08-13-2013, 02:44 PM
what a tragedy.

Glad the cops are ok though. They are the real heroes today.

Athan
08-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah I heard about this. About 20 minute drive from where I live. Crazy stuff.

paulbot24
08-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Do they not have a police helicopter?

AmericasLastHope
08-13-2013, 06:12 PM

No, those have been repurposed to keep us safe.

http://www.togtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/CAMCOPTER-S-100.jpg

SeanTX
08-13-2013, 07:11 PM

DPS has plenty of helicopters. A while back DPS had a sniper on board a chopper take out a car (and the people in it) during a high-speed chase . A better solution than what happened here, but still, it kind of sets a bad precedent I think, I don't trust them with that kind of power (it would be just a couple of more steps to go to using armed drones to end chases).

Maybe Texas state troopers should just stick with stopping women so they can perform road-side finger f*ckings (another thing they are known for).

nobody's_hero
08-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Don't worry, the officers will be punished according to policy.

You know, 2 weeks paid vacation, an internal investigation pre-determined to rule in favor of officers, and possibly a commendation and/or promotion. And don't worry about medical bills or funeral costs, the taxpayers got it covered.

fr33
08-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Revenuers don't care about mundanes dying. They just want to get another body in a cage and his funds into their paymasters' cash box. No matter the costs.

DamianTV
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Mundanes are Expendable.

SeanTX
08-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Don't worry, the officers will be punished according to policy.

You know, 2 weeks paid vacation, an internal investigation pre-determined to rule in favor of officers, and possibly a commendation and/or promotion. And don't worry about medical bills or funeral costs, the taxpayers got it covered.

I don't think that's going to happen, unless the victim's families file a lawsuit and win. I can't imagine the state having the decency to come right out and pay for their wrongdoing.