PDA

View Full Version : Muslim's view of Ron Paul

Bryan
05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
As most of us know, the vast majority of the near six million Muslims in America are peace loving people and are likely disenfranchised by American foreign policy like a growing number of other Americans. Seeing how Ron Paul is the only candidate from either the Republican or Democrat Party that is against the war and the occupation of Muslim holy land an informed peace loving Muslim may provide support for Dr. Paul. To that end, I propose a RonPaulForums.com grassroots effort to help get the good word of Dr. Paul out to our Muslim neighbors across the states.

My proposal is as follows:

- Draft a letter designed to provide information to Muslims on Dr. Paul.
- Optionally, compile a short video (say 3-10 minutes) to put on youtube that highlights Ron Paul's position based on the second debate and other interviews. (Video experts, you known who you are! :) )
- Compile a list of Muslim groups and websites to send the information out to.
- Get the word out and do some follow-ups.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Let's hear them!

Below is a first cut of a letter, please feel free to critique it in any manner:

--------------------------------------------

A growing number of Americans are realizing that our foreign policy in the Middle East and continued occupation of Muslim holy land is a determent to the world and our own wellbeing. Americans rallying for change are finding hope in the 2008 presidential candidate Dr. Ron Paul who is a 10-term Congressman from Texas. Dr. Paul has always been opposed to intervention in the affairs in the Middle East both directly and indirectly though providing American taxpayer money.

Dr. Paul is currently the only presidential candidate from either the Republican or Democrat Party to call for an end of warfare and sanctions in the Middle East. In the second Republicans presidential debate on May 15 Dr. Paul stood firm on his position and reminded America of our own studies that have shown the negative impact of "blowback" that a policy of war and occupation of Muslim holy land can have and advised Americans that we ignore this at our own peril.

While Dr. Paul's message resonates with common sense his statements were immediately and persistently demonized to paint him as unpatriotic and a sympathizer of wrong-doers. We believe that Dr. Paul's message of peace, freedom and non-intervention in Muslim affairs needs to be spread by word of mouth through friends, neighbors and community groups. It is our most sincere hope that you learn more of Dr. Paul and his message and consider offering him your support as we believe a long awaited opportunity of hope is now upon us.

You may find our more about Dr. Paul at the websites and articles listed below, we will be happy to answer any question we can about Dr. Paul on our website http://www.RonPaulForums.com

Thank you for your consideration,

Members of the Ron Paul Forums community

-------

http://www.ronpaul2008.com
http://www.house.gov/paul

November 20, 2000
Our Foolish War in the Middle East: "For over a thousand years the West has dominated the Middle East. During these thousand years resentment has continued, but for obvious reasons it is now being directed toward America. No one should be surprised when our ships become vulnerable and are actually blown up in the Middle East... Our policy in the Middle East cannot possibly be successful... Our current foreign policy does nothing more than stir the flames of hatred of both sides, clearly evident as we witness the daily fighting between the Palestinians and the Israelis."
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst112000.htm

October 25, 2001
A Sad State of Affairs: "Some of our trouble in the Middle East started years ago when our CIA put the Shah in charge of Iran. It was 25 years before he was overthrown, and the hatred toward America continues to this day. Those who suffer from our intervention have long memories. Our support for the less-than-ethical government of Saudi Arabia, with our troops occupying what most Muslims consider sacred land, is hardly the way to bring peace to the Middle East."
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2001/cr102501.htm

April 10, 2002
America’s Entangling Alliances in the Middle East: "Today, though, we are entangled in everyone’s affairs throughout the world, and we are less safe as a result. The current Middle-East crisis is one that we helped create, and it is typical of how foreign intervention fails to serve our interests. Now we find ourselves smack-dab in the middle of a fight that will not soon end. No matter what the outcome, we lose."
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2002/cr041002.htm

November 15, 2004
The Middle East Quagmire: "This illustrates perfectly the inherent problem with foreign aid: once we give money to one country, we have to give it to all the rest or risk making enemies. This is especially true in the Middle East and other strife-torn regions, where our financial support for one side is seen as an act of aggression by the other. Just as our money never makes Israel secure, it doesn’t buy us any true friends elsewhere in the region."
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2004/tst111504.htm

September 5, 2005
Gas, Taxes, and Middle East Policy: "We cannot count on using military or political influence in the Middle East to keep gas prices low."
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2005/tst090505.htm

September 7, 2006
Big Government Solutions Don't Work/ The Law of Opposites: "Even our current crisis in the Middle East can be traced to the great wars of the 20th century. Though tens of millions of deaths are associated with these wars, we haven’t learned a thing."
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2006/cr090706.htm

February 26, 2007
Hypocrisy in the Middle East: "If honest democratic elections were held throughout the Middle East tomorrow, many countries would elect religious fundamentalist leaders hostile to the United States. Cliche or not, the Arab Street really doesn’t like America, so we should stop the charade about democracy and start pursuing a coherent foreign policy that serves America’s long-term interests."
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2007/tst022607.htm

JoshLowry
05-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Thoughts?

Awesome idea.

ChicagoLawyer
05-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree, this is a great idea. Many Muslims would also like Dr. Paul's ideas on religious liberty and school choice as well.

Eric
05-19-2007, 05:51 PM
The muslim vote is less than 1 percent of the country...divided almost equally between Republican and Democrat...and what would the rest of America think about a candidate who is endorsed as the Muslim favorite?

Besides, this type of group think and collectivism is what Ron Paul is against....he has written an article about Imus where he basically says that group think perpetuates racism.

It would be great for Muslims to vote for Ron Paul, but not great for his image to known as the candidate that "gets the Muslim vote."

Delivered4000
05-19-2007, 05:56 PM
The muslim vote is less than 1 percent of the country...divided almost equally between Republican and Democrat...and what would the rest of America think about a candidate who is endorsed as the Muslim favorite?

Besides, this type of group think and collectivism is what Ron Paul is against....he has written an article about Imus where he basically says that group think perpetuates racism.

It would be great for Muslims to vote for Ron Paul, but not great for his image to known as the candidate that "gets the Muslim vote."
Good point.

mdh
05-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I wholeheartedly agree that the sort of divisiveness created by segmenting off portions of the population and trying to get "their vote" is a bad idea. What is a good idea however, is to try and speak to groups of like-minded individuals in a way that is most likely to appeal to them. I've given examples elsewhere, but another good example of this is pitching the non-interventionist foreign policy bit to Muslims, as well as the fact that Israel receives plenty of free money from the US which we are against.

retrorepublican
05-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm a Muslim. Muslims are all for self-defense. The Qur'an dictates that you are only allowed to retaliate until the aggressor detracts.

Using this logic, they should be all for it. I suggest you build on this.

Bryan
05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks retrorepublican. Eric, I understand your point and would say that the title of the message thread isn't the best to say the least (I change it). The real point however is one that has been talked about here a number of times and that is to target the message to the audience. The objective of the action isn't really focused to get votes at whatever cost, it's to provide information that people may not otherwise get. People are busy so getting the message right is key.

I had a talk today with two other die-hard Ron Paul volunteers today (Josh and Alex Wallenwein) on this, no question the media could spin a candidate who is seen as the Muslim choice but really, it seems that claim can already be made here.

The point is to get the message out best possible- let's hear the best ideas.

MsDoodahs
05-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Remember how Dr. Paul described how the freedom message pulls us all together today in his speech?

Can you tie in that aspect and make it less muslim focused? Broaden it? To include a wide range of diverse beliefs that can live together side by side with the principle espoused by the late great Leonard Read: "Let anyone do anything so long as it is peaceful."

Dr. Paul went there today, remember? Different religious beliefs in the room, all of us getting along fine, tolerance extended to others is the path to ensuring tolerance for yourself...

(Leonard Read was the founder of the Foundation for Economic Education. Read about them here: http://www.fee.org/tradition/ )

AlexWallenwein
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks retrorepublican. Eric, I understand your point and would say that the title of the message thread isn't the best to say the least (I change it). The real point however is one that has been talked about here a number of times and that is to target the message to the audience. The objective of the action isn't really focused to get votes at whatever cost, it's to provide information that people may not otherwise get. People are busy so getting the message right is key.

I had a talk today with two other die-hard Ron Paul volunteers today (Josh and Alex Wallenwein) on this, no question the media could spin a candidate who is seen as the Muslim choice but really, it seems that claim can already be made here.

The point is to get the message out best possible- let's hear the best ideas.

Targeting is good - but Ron already targets all freedom-loving Americans. I agree with Eric above that "targeting" the Muslim vote or any group vote specifically, is a bad idea.

Hope - for all Americans
Faith - in small government
Peace - unless attacked!

That sums up Ron's appeal, and nobody can turn that against him. It also solves the debate over whether or not Ron is a "pacifist." He is absolutely not. He voted to go after Bin Laden. He just points out that we forgot about Bin Laden, allow him hide in Pakistan, and went after people who haven't really done anything to us - and who had no capability of doing much of anything to us, as we now know. If we are ever attacked, he will let all Hell rain down on any attacker - after Congress properly declares war.

If you want to convey to Muslims what he said at the Brenham Fundraiser today (asked exactly how he would accomplish a withdrawal from Iraq if he becomes President, he criticized the current Democrat/Republican debate premise that a certain number of "conditions" would have to be fulfilled before a withdrawal would be proper, and said "I would just leave."

Simple - and to the point.

Let the neocons attack him over that one. It will deepen the debate and make THEM the pariah they are trying to paint him as. Muslims will get the message. Americans will get the message. He thinks we shouldn't be there, so we should get out. Period. No need to pander.

If we use only a fraction of the Americans whose lives we waste in Iraq and station them at the border where they can really protect us, we will be far safer. The Muslims will understand, the terrorists will understand (and won't be able to do anything to us) and Americans will understand.

What happens today, on the other hand (attacking people and threatening countries who didn't hurt us and leaving our southern border open), only the neocons understand.

Bryan
05-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks Alex, I guess I'm missing something because I still don't see the harm in tailoring a message when outreaching to different groups, say the Rotary club vs. American Legions or whatnot. Some groups you may want to talk more about foreign policy while others may focus more on domestic issues. That's all I really mean.

From the way I'm seeing things, we need to find all the appropriate ways possible to get the word out, finding community groups and talking to their leaders may be a good way to help. I'll agree with Eric in that if there are larger audiences to be had then there could be energy better spent. Maybe we need a more generic outreach thread to see what may be the best place to start and proceed from.

Whichever way, we need to keep the ideas rolling, set some plans and take action. Thanks again.

kelldor
05-20-2007, 03:49 AM
I think this is a good idea. You folks bring up some valid points too. I would hope that he not be seen as "catering to" a certain demographic, but the idea of "his supporters" coming out and openly showing willingness to include them in the Ron Paul REVOLUTION is a great idea :) I honestly think it has potential to gain traction.

MsDoodahs
05-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Which party did that whole "we have a big tent" stuff?

(just realized how very OUT of this stuff I have been for so long, lol)

mdh
05-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't know which party it was, but it was probably a circus tent. The performance may be entertaining the first time you see it, but they just do the same routines every night. :p

joenaab
06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I am increasingly uncomfortable with using as a litmus test for Ron Paul activism, "what would the ignorant masses think if they got wind of this?" Further, to suggest that his message of "peace - unless attacked" is an easy sell states the exact opposite of what I am encountering in my network of friends. I've encountered people who love everything about him except that he will pull our troops entirely out of the middle east. They believe that this will make us more vulnerable. I don't, but it's far from an easy sell. Some have said they will not vote for him on this one issue alone. Another issue that libertarians think is a "slam dunk" sell is 2nd Amendment rights to gun ownership. This scares a lot of people who love his peaceful message and think that some "sensible" gun reform achieves peaceful aims.

I very much support an Awareness Campaign designed to educate Americans as to how Ron Paul's approach to governance can be of benefit to everyone and to gradually dispel the widespread ignorance which plagues the population in time for election day. We could do it in a passive formate such as an interactive "FAQ", grouped by issues and subissues.

There is a risk in pinning the whole campaign on ending the Iraq War in that it will be very easy for those in power to create a faux-ending to the War with a partial withdrawal and a new declaration of "mission accomplished" repeat ad nasea over MSM. I'm sure this is what they'll do if RP was about to win the election on this issue. I sure would.

This campaign is more about education and raising awareness than anything else. If we create the biggest tent ever built and stand by each other in the face of MSM attempts to marginalize one of our constituent groups, we will stand a better chance of winning than if we stuff all the bastard stepchildren in the closet. The closet will be bigger than the tent needed to hold who remains!

UCFGavin
06-18-2007, 10:55 AM
i don't see the problem of helping spread the message of Dr. Paul to the muslim population, but just not in the sense of "he supports muslims in this way..." it should be "he is the champion of the constitution because of his views on ...." that way you aren't grouping people together but appealing to them as individuals.

NOLA
06-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm Muslim too. I think it would be a great idea for Dr. Paul to court the Muslim vote. For too long I believe Muslims as a portion of the electorate has been ignored. Any group of people Dr. Paul has on his side is a big plus. He does not have the luxury of writing off any one group. To that end, the LARGEST Muslim gathering in the United States occurs every Labor Day weekend in Chicago. I think if Dr. Paul's people contacted ISNA he could possibly speak at a breakout session. Or we could hold a session at an adjacent hotel to the Rosemont Convention Center. Over 20,000 Muslims attend this event. Islamic Society of North America is the largest Muslim Organization in America. I think their support could be helpful. All the Muslims I know do not vote along party lines. They vote for primarily on foreign policy.

angrydragon
06-24-2007, 05:58 PM
NOLA maybe you can help by sending Justine an email.

justine.lam[at]ronpaul2008.com replace [at] with @

Justine Lam is Ron Paul's eCampaign Director

constituent
06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
thank you joenaab!!!!

Bradley in DC
06-24-2007, 09:17 PM

Arabs and Muslims are not equally dispersed around the country but disproportionately clusted in Michigan (Romney's state) and NY (Rudy) and gives us an opportunity to pick up support in their backyards as it were.

Bradley in DC
06-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Which party did that whole "we have a big tent" stuff?

Unless you don't support killing babies. Or praying. Or capitalist. Or ...

NOLA
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I just e-mailed justine. I'll try to post any follow-up discussions here.

nayjevin
06-25-2007, 02:29 AM
It brings me to tears to think that skin color becomes irrelevant and people who've found many different paths to love through religion and spirituality naturally come together in the common sense message of Dr. Paul.

Once you find and understand Ron Paul, you just don't leave.

The maturity and diverse involvement of this thread makes me proud to be a part of this.

Nefertiti
06-25-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm Muslim too. I think it would be a great idea for Dr. Paul to court the Muslim vote. For too long I believe Muslims as a portion of the electorate has been ignored. Any group of people Dr. Paul has on his side is a big plus. He does not have the luxury of writing off any one group. To that end, the LARGEST Muslim gathering in the United States occurs every Labor Day weekend in Chicago. I think if Dr. Paul's people contacted ISNA he could possibly speak at a breakout session. Or we could hold a session at an adjacent hotel to the Rosemont Convention Center. Over 20,000 Muslims attend this event. Islamic Society of North America is the largest Muslim Organization in America. I think their support could be helpful. All the Muslims I know do not vote along party lines. They vote for primarily on foreign policy.

I'm Muslim too, also in Chicago. I understand the reluctance to cater to Muslims, but it is also clear that Ron Paul is not catering to any particular group but stands by his internal principles. Those just happen to coincide with a lot of issues that are important to Muslims. And I don't think those are just the foreign policy ones, but since 911 issues of privacy are also something that Muslims have to deal with. His views on abortion would also appeal to Muslims. I think the most important thing is not necessarily that he reach out to Muslims directly but that Muslims spread the message about him to other Muslims.

Nefertiti
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Arabs and Muslims are not equally dispersed around the country but disproportionately clusted in Michigan (Romney's state) and NY (Rudy) and gives us an opportunity to pick up support in their backyards as it were.

Romney is in Massachusetts, although I believe he was born in Michigan.

LibertyCzar
06-25-2007, 10:58 PM
This is a great idea. :D

I think part of the problem is that Muslims view our politicians as being biased in favor of Israel. NOTE: I am not advocating campaigning against Jews. But I think an even-handed approach will not only attract those in this country, but it would gain respect for Ron Paul around the world. Sure, the world doesn't matter come voting time. But it would be great if we could have a president that would inspire the "terrorists" to give up their arms and come to the negotiating table. I think some of those considered our "enemies" would turn out to be quite friendly if the United States dropped this attitude that we are better than everyone else, and we treated everyone as equals. Just a thought, and my opinion on the matter.

Nefertiti
06-26-2007, 05:38 AM
I wouldn't say that American politicians are pro-Israel because Israel is a country with a diversity of religious beliefs among its population, it is that they are supporting a form of government in Israel that does not reflect American-style democracy. You don't even need to bring in the Palestinian state issue, look at how the Israeli government treats non-Jewish Israeli citizens, who make up a significant part of the Israeli population. The bottom line is this-Israel may not be a "democracy" in that it has elections but in many ways it does not resemble an American style democracy in that the rights its citizens have depend on whether they are Jewish, Muslim, Christian or Druze. In fact, in that respect it resembles South African during apartheid.

constituent14
07-06-2007, 07:46 PM
The clearest route to a muslim/ron paul enlightenment is through ... believe it or not... the good dr.'s stance on monetary policy...

According to the noble Qur'an all usuary is morally wrong, therefore sinful. Our entire monetary system is built around usuary, therefore morally wrong. In choosing to support a candidate who favors perpetuating this system of interest rate slavery, is clearly working (proactively) against Muslim values. Islam is not a look the other way and it'll be ok values system (neither should Judaism or Christianity if one were to interpret their holy books literally). By embracing those who sin against their fellow man, and accordingly God, the religious should understand that their enabling embrace is a sin in and of itself, even if they aren't the ones lending out the money.

The good dr. is the only candidate whose platform jives with the children of Abraham, the big issue is educating not just those children, but everyone.

Nefertiti
07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Good point constituent. I don't like paying tax dollars that are being used to pay interest on our debts and I think his ideas about reducing expenditures will help toward that. However, I'm not entirely clear on his monetary policies. Would his abolishing the Federal Reserve in any way get rid of things like interest bearing home loans, educational loans and interest bearing bank accounts?

Also, Arabs in this country are among the wealthiest ethnic groups in this country and therefore issues of taxes are important.

Another way to appeal to Muslims and immigrants from many Asian cultures like India and China is to emphasize that he is an MD. Many people from these cultures are MDs here in the US or they have the greatest respect and trust in MDs. Always refer to him as Dr. Paul when talking about him with people who fit these demographics.