PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother can now name your children

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-11-2013, 08:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-changes-infants-name-messiah-215423538.html

NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-11-2013, 08:50 PM
bump

Ender
08-11-2013, 08:53 PM
So, where in the Constitution does it give this judge the right to change a baby's name?

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 08:53 PM
So, where in the Constitution does it give this judge the right to change a baby's name?

10th Amendment.

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
10th Amendment.
Yup. Another failure of teh Constitution.

Ender
08-11-2013, 09:11 PM
10th Amendment.

Uh...no.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

Tennessee has no law in place that says it can dictate personal names.

fr33
08-11-2013, 09:11 PM
We need a separation of church and state obviously.

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Uh...no.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

Tennessee has no law in place that says it can dictate personal names.

You never asked which state law gives the judge this power, you asked what part of the Constitution allows this.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

I think we need a separation of state and us.

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
The Federal Government should have complete and total control? Sound good to you?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-11-2013, 09:30 PM
From the article: "Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population."

I guess as opposed to the problem of some knucklehead who tells you what to name your kids.

Okay, now let's hear some Cocke County jokes. :eek::p:D

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:30 PM
More information...

Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/11/baby-name-messiah-tennessee/2641313/

A Tennessee mother is appealing a court's decision after a judge ordered her son's name be changed from "Messiah."

Jaleesa Martin and the father of Messiah could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday.

That is when the first name came into question.

However, Martin is appealing the judge's decision. It will go before the Cocke County Chancellor on Sept. 17.

Ender
08-11-2013, 09:33 PM
You never asked which state law gives the judge this power, you asked what part of the Constitution allows this.

Again:

The 10th does not allow this- and Tennessee has not taken upon itself this "power".

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Again:

The 10th does not allow this- and Tennessee has not taken upon itself this "power".

Under the 10th Amendment Tennessee can pass a law saying that judges have the power to name children.

All you asked was "So, where in the Constitution does it give this judge the right to change a baby's name?" The answer is the 10th Amendment. The federal government has not been delegated this power, so it rests with the states.

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Again:

The Judge gave a bad ruling and there's a repeal hearing soon.

Martin is appealing the judge's decision. It will go before the Cocke County Chancellor on Sept. 17.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/11/baby-name-messiah-tennessee/2641313/

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Under the 10th Amendment Tennessee can pass a law saying that judges have the power to name children.

All you asked was "So, where in the Constitution does it give this judge the right to change a baby's name?" The answer is the 10th Amendment. The federal government has not been delegated this power, so it rests with the states.

Martin is appealing the judge's decision. It will go before the Cocke County Chancellor on Sept. 17.

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 09:39 PM

I agree. But what the Judge did in no way violated the federal constitution.

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:40 PM
I agree. But what the Judge did in no way violated the federal constitution.

Tennessee's checks and balances will now kick in. I doubt the ruling will stand. The Constitution chains the Federal Government, not the states, true.

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 09:41 PM
The State's checks and balances will now kick in. I doubt the ruling will stand. The Constitution chains the Federal Government, not the states.

Again, I agree. I was responding to Ender's claim that this is unconstitutional.

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Again, I agree. I was responding to Ender's claim that this is unconstitutional.

Ender and you should stop fighting, Martin is appealing the judge's decision (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/11/baby-name-messiah-tennessee/2641313/).

Any more fighting is just silly.

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Ender and you should stop fighting, Martin is appealing the judge's decision (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/11/baby-name-messiah-tennessee/2641313/).

Fighting?

pcosmar
08-11-2013, 09:48 PM
The Federal Government should have complete and total control? Sound good to you?

NO. Idiot

THE PEOPLE have the power.
In this case the parents. It is in No way a judges purview to do so.

pcosmar
08-11-2013, 09:51 PM

It is. There is nothing that allows a judge to override a parents choice in name for a child.

10 amendment does not allow that.. Nothing in the constitution does.

FrankRep
08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
NO. Idiot

THE PEOPLE have the power.
In this case the parents. It is in No way a judges purview to do so.

The Constitution was blamed for the Judge's stupid ruling. I have a problem with that.

10th Amendment.

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 09:56 PM
edit: dupe

mad cow
08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
The Hispanic population of Tennessee is ~300,000.The odds one of them is not named Jesus are pretty much nil.

Don't tell the Judge.

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
The Constitution was blamed for the Judge's stupid ruling. I have a problem with that.
No, the Constitution (federal and state) was "blamed" for not restraining the judge, and rightly so.

fr33
08-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Nobody has made the obvious observation and I haven't taken the time to find the racial stats of this judge's jurisdiction but hello? Are there any Mexicans living there? I know more Jesuses than I know Johns.

pcosmar
08-11-2013, 10:04 PM

No it wasn't,,
A question was asked,, and a wrong answer was given.

The correct answer is NO WHERE.
And the judge should be removed (by the people) for ever ruling in such a stupid manner.

The tenth amendment does not give this power. Nor does it give the power to violate any other rights. in the Bill of Rights.
It gives the state the power to set ordinances as long as the rights of the people are not infringed.
And states that the final power resides with the PEOPLE.

Matthew5
08-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Should just change it to "Massa" if it's going to be like that then.

mad cow
08-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Nobody has made the obvious observation and I haven't taken the time to find the racial stats of this judge's jurisdiction but hello? Are there any Mexicans living there? I know more Jesuses than I know Johns.

4.6% of 6,456,XXX according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Tennessee#Demographics

fr33
08-11-2013, 10:17 PM
4.6% of 6,456,XXX according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Tennessee#Demographics

Wow. Tennessee is like a different country to me. :D

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 10:28 PM

I don't know but TN is on the shortlist of states this Mexican is open to moving to in the very near future.

Ender
08-11-2013, 10:29 PM

We're not fighting- just disagreeing- I like eduardo89. :)

TheTexan
08-11-2013, 10:30 PM

indeed

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 10:31 PM
indeed

So you and HB believe that the federal constitution should have a clause saying state judges can't rename children?

fr33
08-11-2013, 10:33 PM
So you and HB believe that the federal constitution should have a clause saying state judges can't rename children?

You think any government has the right to name or rename you?

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Damn, you're really into mental gymnastics tonight. Where the hell did this absolutely stupid bullshit come from?

oyarde
08-11-2013, 10:35 PM
From the article: "Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population."

I guess as opposed to the problem of some knucklehead who tells you what to name your kids.

Okay, now let's hear some Cocke County jokes. :eek::p:D

Is this Judge a Cock County native ? Is he really a Cock , or just impersonating a Cock ?

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't know but TN is on the shortlist of states this Mexican is open to moving to in the very near future.
They're letting you in? :eek: Mothers in TN, hide your daughters!

fr33
08-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Reliving the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGTYBbcEvHg

oyarde

Well my Son in Law is just North and he could always use some help with tobbaco harvest...

TheTexan

It would be better if the 10th amendment reserved all other rights to the people. And not the states.

And yes, that would make having "states" kind of pointless. Which is why it would also be better, if there was no Federal Government, and merely an agreement among states, but shrug.

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
It would be better if the 10th amendment reserved all other rights to the people. And not the states.

And yes, that would make having "states" kind of pointless. Which is why it would also be better, if there was no Federal Government, and merely an agreement among states, but shrug.

I mostly agree with the latter point. Federalism has been a failure. A confederacy would have been much better.

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Damn, you're really into mental gymnastics tonight. Where the hell did this absolutely stupid bullshit come from?

Woah! HB! Watch the language or your mom is going to go down into that basement and wash your mouth out with soap.

mad cow
08-11-2013, 10:45 PM
If naming your own gosh darn children isn't covered by the Ninth Amendment,I don't know what,if anything,is.

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Woah! HB! Watch the language or your mom is going to go down into that basement and wash your mouth out with soap.
I learned a lot of that sort of language from my mother many moons ago. :P While we're on the subject, you, JFK3, amypi, and I should have a sleepover in your mother's basement sometime. :D You just need to move your bed and toys a little so's I can lay out my sleeping bag. :cool:
ETA: I've been notified that Angelatc wants to come to the slumber party too, so she shall get an invite.

pcosmar
08-11-2013, 11:02 PM

The Constitution was set up originally to limit government. ALL Government.
There is nothing there,,and I don't think stupidity like this was even foreseen.

If I could change the Constitution I would make parts of it even more clearly defined (though it seems clear and simple enough) and add penalties,,severe penalties on any government employees or elected official that violates or proposes to violate either letter or spirit of it.

jkob
08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Can't imagine this will hold up

UWDude
08-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Jesus, what about all the people named Jesus?

TheTexan
08-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Is that how it's spelled? I always thought it was Heyzeus

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Yup. A pretty common name, too. Jesus Lobos-Cobos is a very famous contemporary guitarist. :cool:

TheTexan
08-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Yup. A pretty common name, too. Jesus Lobos-Cobos is a very famous contemporary guitarist. :cool:

Yep. Jesus mows my lawn. Nice guy

eduardo89
08-11-2013, 11:34 PM

It's not pronounced like that. It's pronounced Heh-soos (with a throaty h)

Mani
08-11-2013, 11:48 PM
I met a guy named Mohammed once...and a guy named Jesus, man he could play the guitar......

Holy Cow, if those names are entitled to only one person...There's like a couple billion people that need name changes... Tell the Cocke Judge to get busy with a baby name encyclopedia.

DamianTV
08-12-2013, 01:13 AM

Not a Name, but a Number. SSN. Drivers License (well, same exact number there just mixed up a bit). Customer Number. Pick what ever you want. They ALL uniquely identify the individual.

Weston White
08-12-2013, 05:45 AM
I would tend to disagree:

The court violated its own procedural rules in addressing a matter not before the court, i.e., whose last name it was going to take.

It mingled religion as the underlying basis of the courts determination, i.e., you are naming your little black baby the Messiah—Jesus Christ over my dead body!

The court violated those parent’s civil rights in several respects, i.e., exemplifying that the family unit is nothing but a bonded serf unto the state.

Weston White
08-12-2013, 05:51 AM

Hey there now... Nobody messes wit da Jesus!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6kMIcbYRLJE/TUcg2auy8OI/AAAAAAAAAKM/dcHlwgZ7ydw/s320/john-turturro-as-jesus-quintana1.jpg

Sola_Fide
08-12-2013, 06:02 AM

This has nothing to do with that.

Cap
08-12-2013, 06:52 AM
This judges edict in fact looks to be at odds with the 1st amendment. Therefore unconstitutional.

specsaregood
08-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Can't imagine this will hold up

Well, that is little comfort for a family that now must spend its time dealing with it and hope for a reversal in the court system. The judge should be removed or have to pay them for their time in having to fight something that never should have been done in the first place.

fr33
08-12-2013, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it. Obviously the judge is a theocratic nut regardless of wether he interprets the bible like you do.

TruckinMike
08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
For those of you that don't consider naming a child messiah a bit odd or ridiculous -- Then you most certainly would like the name "Your Highness", King, Princess, Prince, Chief, Head Cook, waitress, plumber, President, Your Majesty, or GOD.

There is a difference between Jesus and 'Messiah'. Jesus is a name, messiah is a title. -->Just like the Judge said. The only problem that I have with the judge is that she is not a KING or Queen or God but somehow thinks and acts as if she is. She needs to be tarred, feathered, and thrown from the bench.

Really, I'm not kidding. If we continue to allow these legal perverts to remain at the judicial helm; hell will soon follow.

otherone
08-12-2013, 09:49 AM
For those of you that don't consider naming a child messiah a bit odd or ridiculous -- Then you most certainly would like the name "Your Highness", King, Princess, Prince, Chief, Head Cook, waitress, plumber, President, Your Majesty, or GOD.

off hand:
King
Queen
Duke
Prince
Earl
Marshall
lol..."plumber"...how about "Hunter"? Had a neighbor name her kids "Madison" and "Monroe"...she didn't realize they were presidents...

Ender
08-12-2013, 10:33 AM
This judges edict in fact looks to be at odds with the 1st amendment. Therefore unconstitutional.

Absolutely!

Congress shall make no law regarding religion.

This judge has no legal right to change a child's name and especially in regards to the judge's particular religious opinion.

TonySutton
08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
The government can call him whatever they want I guess, but then so can the parents ;) how many people out there go by a nickname even though their birth certificate says something different, quite a bit different in some cases.

kcchiefs6465
08-12-2013, 10:58 AM
The government can call him whatever they want I guess, but then so can the parents ;) how many people out there go by a nickname even though their birth certificate says something different, quite a bit different in some cases.
That is besides the point.

Slaves were called whatever their masters wanted as well.

TonySutton
08-12-2013, 11:10 AM
That is besides the point.

Slaves were called whatever their masters wanted as well.

Which is why you have a SSN ;)

angelatc
08-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Yes, it actually did. The state's judge said that there could only be one Messiah, and this kid wasn't Him.

heavenlyboy34
08-12-2013, 03:55 PM
That's never stopped them before. :( (criminals don't obey laws)

presence
08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByhFz5e5Tno

catfeathers
08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
off hand:
King
Queen
Duke
Prince
Earl
Marshall
lol..."plumber"...how about "Hunter"? Had a neighbor name her kids "Madison" and "Monroe"...she didn't realize they were presidents...

I knew of a woman named "King" and several "Earls". I went to school with a "Duke" and a "Colonel". I've heard of a "Baron", I think it might have been spelled with two Rs, though. And my husband is friends with "Jesus".

Dr.3D
08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
I can think of a couple of appropriate names for that judge.

Legend1104
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Agree that the name is a real bonehead move. Agree that Messiah is a title and not really a name. As a Christian I agree that really only one person deserves that title (Jesus). Agree that the child will have a tough time in life and may consider changing it in the future. Disagree that the judge has the power to change it. I would just tell the judge no.

heavenlyboy34
08-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Agree that the name is a real bonehead move. Agree that Messiah is a title and not really a name. As a Christian I agree that really only one person deserves that title (Jesus). Agree that the child will have a tough time in life and may consider changing it in the future. Disagree that the judge has the power to change it. I would just tell the judge no.
Messiah is an English rendering of the Hebrew "mashiach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashiach)". So, the judge's opinion is not really well-founded. /ramble

Christian Liberty
08-12-2013, 06:17 PM
No, the Constitution (federal and state) was "blamed" for not restraining the judge, and rightly so.

If its a state judge, its not FedGov's business in any capacity.

All that said, I honestly found this story somewhat amusing. Obviously ridiculous, but nonetheless amusing.

Christian Liberty
08-12-2013, 06:23 PM

OK....

I don't believe any government has the right to tell that parent what to name their kid.

I don't believe the Federal government has a right to tell Tennessee that they don't have a right to tell that parent what to name their kid.

Does that make sense?

Much like I tell people sometimes: I don't believe any government has a right to legalize the murder of the unborn, but I don't support the Federal Government telling the states they can't do so.

Or: I don't think any government has a right to murder Jews, but I still don't think we should have gone to war in Nazi Germany.

heavenlyboy34
08-12-2013, 06:25 PM
If its a state judge, its not FedGov's business in any capacity.

All that said, I honestly found this story somewhat amusing. Obviously ridiculous, but nonetheless amusing.
On paper, that's correct. However, as long as the various states accept federal money in any form, they will be beholden to the Feds or the funds will be cut off (politically very dangerous to turn down FedMoney and almost guaranteed that it's not going to happen).

Neil Desmond
08-12-2013, 06:37 PM
It's actually a case of the state respecting an establishment of religion and perhaps prohibiting the free exercise thereof. This judge is trying to use the power of the state to impose religious beliefs on someone else by saying that the parents can't name their child with a name that to the judge is religiously sacred. What if this couple are members of a religion that mandates that they name their child Messiah? It doesn't matter if they actually are or aren't. The point is that it would be prohibiting the free exercise thereof if they did happen to be a member of such a religion.

According to Wikipedia, in the Tennessee Declaration of Rights, "Establishment of a state religion is banned and personal freedom of religion is inviolate (Section 3)."

Christian Liberty
08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
On paper, that's correct. However, as long as the various states accept federal money in any form, they will be beholden to the Feds or the funds will be cut off (politically very dangerous to turn down FedMoney and almost guaranteed that it's not going to happen).

Yeah, this is just legalized bribery to me as well. Stop taxing me and then you can tell me about cutting funds, otherwise you're just robbing me.

I don't think the 10th amendment is a flaw in this case. Stupidity is, but not the 10th.

Paulbot99
08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Seriously?

I'm religious and I can handle someone being named Messiah. I don't know anyone who would want names changed for religious reasons through government force.

Dr.3D
08-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I wonder if the judge would have a problem with someone being named, "President."
Edit: I can think of a lot of fun first names.

Captain
Chief
Doc
Professor
Senator
Governor
Major
Key (if your last name happens to be West)
Pot (if your last name happens to be Holder)
ect.

MichaelDavis
08-12-2013, 09:21 PM
The First Amendment's Establishment Clause states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." This judge definitely overstepped her boundaries and should be fired. She has no right to change the baby's name because of her religious views.

JCDenton0451
08-12-2013, 10:27 PM
It wasn't some "Big Brother". The woman was a fundamentalist Christian.

This.

tommyrp12
08-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

they went there to decide the kids name and got what they asked for. don't ask "judges" for anything .I do have sympathy for them and the child though, its not right.

heavenlyboy34
08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
I wonder if the judge would have a problem with someone being named, "President."
Edit: I can think of a lot of fun first names.

Captain
Chief
Doc
Professor
Senator
Governor
Major
Key (if your last name happens to be West)
Pot (if your last name happens to be Holder)

My college band director went by Doc (wasn't his real name tho). :) Fun guy and good trumpeter.:toady:

Ender
08-13-2013, 12:41 AM
It wasn't some "Big Brother". The woman was a fundamentalist Christian.

This.

Separation of Church & State is not in the Constitution. The First Amendment is: Congress shall make no law concerning religion.

Voluntarist
12-14-2013, 08:34 AM
xxxxx

Snew
12-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I had to revisit this thread because of a Fark headline of the year candidate (http://www.fark.com/comments/8058754)

lol! that's gold!

moostraks
12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Judge cited with violations in baby Messiah case
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/hamblen-jefferson-cocke-greene/2013/10/25/baby-messiah-judge-cited/3185849/

Another judge later overruled Ballew's decision and said she had acted unconstitutionally. By then, the baby's parents had filed a complaint against Ballew with the Board of Judicial Conduct.

The state board's charges allege Ballew did not promote confidence in the judiciary or uphold the law without bias or partiality through her actions.

Ballew now has 30 days to answer the board's charges, according to the documents filed in the case. Once she responds, the board will hold a hearing on the case within 60 days.

Good. Better is Judge is removed from the bench.

HOLLYWOOD
12-14-2013, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8#t=50

PierzStyx
12-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Its got nothing to do with religion. Courts took the children away from a white supremacist family because they named their kids Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation. (http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4394460,00.html)

tommyrp12
12-14-2013, 12:50 PM
The parents asked the judge to rename their kid. So he did . They just don't like the result, I would suggest that they stop asking human traffickers/filth, to resolve all of life's problems, hindsight is 20/20 but seriously call your kid whatever you want, their name belongs to them am i correct ? then why ask for permission to use it ? I think these are important questions to ask.

DamianTV
12-14-2013, 04:19 PM
I think we need a separation of state and us.

One things for sure. What we have is a Separation of Court and Law.