PDA

View Full Version : "First dog" airlifted to Obama holiday home

green73
08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Rooms have to be found for dozens of Secret Service agents, someone has to carry a selection of presidential basketballs, and of course the family dog needs his own state-of-the-art aircraft.

Arriving in the idyllic coastal retreat of Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, Mr Obama left behind him in Washington DC high profile debates over the budget, government surveillance and his health care reforms. Instead, he will spend the next eight days playing golf, going to the beach, and buying books from the Bunch of Grapes bookstore.

In the air he swapped his suit and tie for khakis and a blue shirt with rolled-up sleeves, while Mrs Obama wore a yellow-and-white summer dress.

Bo, the president's Portuguese Water Dog, arrived separately on one of two MV-22 Ospreys, a hybrid aircraft which takes off like a helicopter but flies like a plane.

It was the first time the Ospreys have been taken on holiday by a US president.

cont
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/10236302/First-dog-Bo-is-airlifted-to-Obama-holiday-home.html

Lucille
08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AFAYAYHlXcc/UDvV9-KgTuI/AAAAAAAALD4/5Z7d1GE3az0/s1600/obama-michelle.jpg

torchbearer
08-11-2013, 07:07 PM
wtf

MRK
08-11-2013, 07:12 PM
At first I thought that was an awfully excessive way to transport a dog to a hospital, and that it must have been involved in some kind of terrible accident.

Then I realized that they broke out two bleeding-edge flying liabilities to shuttle a pooch for a planned vacation.

enhanced_deficit
08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Well commander in chief is doing his share of making scarifices in serving America.

Afghan attack kills three US soldiers (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2013/08/2013811135855279209.html)

11 Aug 2013 14:26

pcosmar
08-11-2013, 07:22 PM
At least he didn't have to ride on the top of the car.

ronpaulfollower999
08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
So I guess he really doesn't believe in the Global Warming scam he pushes?

torchbearer
08-11-2013, 07:26 PM
i just got through re-reading the law by bastiat....
this government is done.
time to abolish.

jclay2
08-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I can't decide if I feel bad for the sheep right now or not.

Anti Federalist
08-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Let them eat cake.

enhanced_deficit
08-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Somehow below first dog's news, this news appeared. Guess not all dogs are created/treated equally by tax payers servants:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0iDP5UzXwOWPfV09toUPop7NmGzel2 ld_8qVG114mcMs_pL9vWQGhQIs0dLMR3UkLp7_PnTa3
(http://www.examiner.com/article/incident-with-family-dogs-leads-to-pregnant-dog-being-killed-by-waterloo-police)
Incident with family dogs leads to pregnant dog being killed by ... (http://www.examiner.com/article/incident-with-family-dogs-leads-to-pregnant-dog-being-killed-by-waterloo-police)Examiner.com-Aug 9, 2013
The dogs were inside a 6-foot chained link fence, and Amy believes the family dogs were afraid of the officers. This was the first time the dogs ...

enhanced_deficit
08-11-2013, 09:01 PM
So I guess he really doesn't believe in the Global Warming scam he pushes?

All part of his puppet masters war mongering plans. First dog is just being used as a small pawn in this scheme.

Study: Global warming will lead to wars (http://video.foxnews.com/v/2597972263001/study-global-warming-will-lead-to-wars/)
Fox News - 9 hours ago‎
Climate change boost violence and new study claims that increased temperatures caused by global warming could lead to a 50% increase in violent conflict in wars.

Ender
08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't care if O's dog is airlifted; I don't care if O takes vacations with his family; I don't care if he plays golf or basketball.

I care about too much gov, war, spying, regulations, fractionalized banking, etc. If O was getting rid of this items, I'd be happy if he had 100 dogs.

enhanced_deficit
08-11-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't care if O's dog is airlifted; I don't care if O takes vacations with his family; I don't care if he plays golf or basketball.

I care about too much gov, war, spying, regulations, fractionalized banking, etc. If O was getting rid of this items, I'd be happy if he had 100 dogs.

You'd be okay if you have to work extra shift now and then to pay for SWC's dogs airlifts and expensive vacations? You are paying for them.

Ender
08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
You'd be okay if you have to work extra shift now and then to pay for SWC's dogs airlifts and expensive vacations? You are paying for them.

If O was restoring the Republic and not increasing the welfare/warfare state, his trip expenses would be a drop in the bucket, compared to what is now spent to keep the W/W in place.

enhanced_deficit
08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
If O was restoring the Republic and not increasing the welfare/warfare state, his trip expenses would be a drop in the bucket, compared to what is now spent to keep the W/W in place.

First SWC (Suspeted War Criminal) is doing none of that, therefore you do care.

If we were discussing hypotheticals, then your 'don't care' point would apply.

angelatc
08-11-2013, 09:18 PM

I sort of agree, but I still find the absolute arrogance quite distasteful.

Anti Federalist
08-11-2013, 09:23 PM

A valid point I suppose.

Rather have those Ospreys haul around a dog than a phalanx of troops or missiles to rain doom down on some poor fucker's head.

Ender
08-11-2013, 09:29 PM
First SWC (Suspeted War Criminal) is doing none of that, therefore you do care.

If we were discussing hypotheticals, then your 'don't care' point would apply.

None of his predecessors did either and they spent millions on vacations as well. Just don't see it as something to get one's panties in a wad over, when there are much more substantial issues to analyze and talk about.

And, I really don't care.

Ender
08-11-2013, 09:30 PM
A valid point I suppose.

Rather have those Ospreys haul around a dog than a phalanx of troops or missiles to rain doom down on some poor fucker's head.

'Zactly my POV.

HOLLYWOOD
08-11-2013, 09:36 PM
MV-22 Osprey: Program cost US $35.6 billion after planned procurement completion of 408 aircraft

Flying the White House dog around? This country is beyond repair. This Moronic society that continues allows these elitist CON MEN to spend and waste off of taxpayer's backs, who don't give a shit about you.

The exceptions, these scumbags will give you plenty of attention and crucify anyone that doesn't pay taxes or short changes those criminals cocksuckers at the IRS.

kcchiefs6465
08-11-2013, 09:45 PM
MV-22 Osprey: Program cost US $35.6 billion after planned procurement completion of 408 aircraft

Flying the White House dog around country, is beyond repair. This Moronic society that continues allows these elitist CON MEN to spend and waste off of taxpayer's backs, who don't give a shit about you.

The exceptions, these scumbags will give you plenty of attention and crucify anyone that doesn't pay taxes or short changes those criminals cocksuckers at the IRS.
Let it be mentioned too that the Air Force didn't even want the pieces of shit.

jclay2
08-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Flying the White House dog around country, is beyond repair. This Moronic society that continues allows these elitist CON MEN to spend and waste off of taxpayer's backs, who don't give a shit about you.

Anything for his high lord and grace...

enhanced_deficit
08-11-2013, 10:08 PM
None of his predecessors did either and they spent millions on vacations as well. Just don't see it as something to get one's panties in a wad over, when there are much more substantial issues to analyze and talk about.

And, I really don't care.

Yes there are indeed more substantial issues (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?423966-First-dog-airlifted-to-Obama-holiday-home&p=5169545&viewfull=1#post5169545) than the first dog airlifts.

economics102
08-12-2013, 12:30 AM
OK, I hate to defend the president, but it sounds like the MV-22s were coming regardless and Bo hitched a ride on one of them. That's quite different than claiming the MV-22s were JUST to shuttle the family dog.

devil21
08-12-2013, 12:55 AM
OK, I hate to defend the president, but it sounds like the MV-22s were coming regardless and Bo hitched a ride on one of them. That's quite different than claiming the MV-22s were JUST to shuttle the family dog.

It was the first time the Ospreys have been taken on holiday by a US president.

So, on what do you base your argument that they were coming any way? Everyone knows the costs of these vacations are still (especially when you have unnamed Chicago businessmen donating their beach house for the week, free of "charge") tiny compared to other expenditures but it just reeks of let them eat cake. I bet some important meetings happen during this vacation. Some real movin and shakin....

fr33
08-12-2013, 01:20 AM
It's no more wasteful than any other president. I thought libs were stupid to criticize Bush for his vacation and I think socons are equally as stupid. Wireless devices and communications exist.

Meanwhile in Yemen your tax dollars are being used to kill people and enrage their neighbors and family. Pay attention to the vacation, not the aggression.

green73
08-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Pay attention to the vacation, not the aggression.

Why can't we pay attention to both?

kcchiefs6465
08-12-2013, 11:23 AM
It's no more wasteful than any other president. I thought libs were stupid to criticize Bush for his vacation and I think socons are equally as stupid. Wireless devices and communications exist.

Meanwhile in Yemen your tax dollars are being used to kill people and enrage their neighbors and family. Pay attention to the vacation, not the aggression.
I find it insulting that these VTOL aircrafts were even built in the first place. It was corporate welfare and a plea for jobs as the Air Force insisted they didn't want them that got them built. A waste of money and an insult to my common sensical reviewing of national defense spending and the rampant fraud/waste that occurs within.

Of the $4.5 billion in unrequested weapons funding added to the Pentagon budget for fiscal 1996, 74% was spent in or near the home districts of representatives who sit on the House National Security Committee. Another $290 million was spent in or around Newt Gingrich's home district, Cobb County, Georgia. (Cobb gets more federal pork than any county except Arlington in Virginia, which is right next to Washington, and Brevard in Florida, where Cape Canaveral is located.)

Although the Pentagon insists that it doesn't need any more B-2 bombers, Norman Dicks (D-Washington) and Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) don't care. Dicks-who's one of the largest recipients of military PAC money in the House-received over $10,000 from nine major B-2 contractors in the four months just before the battle to resurrect B-2 funding. Stevens got $37,000 between 1989 and 1994, making him one of the top ten recipients of PAC contributions from B-2 contractors. (Isn't it amazing how little politicians cost?)

If PAC money isn't enough, military lobbyists can always argue jobs. It didn't hurt funding for the B-2 that spending for it was spread across 88% of all congressional districts and all but two states.

Liberal California Representative Maxine Waters defended her vote to continue B-2 funding by candidly admitting that it was one of the few ways she knew to bring federal jobs to her district. (Since her district is South-Central Los Angeles, you can understand her desperation.)

There's no conceivable need for Seawolf submarines (which cost $2.4 billion apiece)- except for the votes in Connecticut, where it's built, and in surrounding states.

That's why liberal New England senators like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry and George Mitchell supported it, as did Bill Clinton-who needed votes from those states-in his 1992 campaign.

Neither the Air Force nor the Navy wants any part of the V-22 Osprey assault plane, which the Bush administration tried in vain to kill. But it's supported by legislators in Texas and Pennsylvania-the two states that do the most contracting for it-and by Clinton, who...oh, you get the idea.

What about the jobs we'd lose? -- If new weapons systems are nothing more than make-work programs, they're really inefficient ones. A 1992 Congressional study estimated that shifting money from the Pentagon to state and local governments would create two jobs for every one it eliminates. Building weapons we don't need is so wasteful that the economy would probably be better off if we just paid people the same money to stay at home.

* As we've mentioned above, even the Pentagon doesn't want any more B-2 bombers, V-22 Osprey assault planes or additional Star Wars funds. The Navy doesn't want the Seawolf submarine and admits it doesn't need another $3.5-billion nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. But try telling that to the companies that make those weapons, or to the politicians whose campaigns they fund.

By now it should be obvious that the "defense" budget isn't based on any rational calculation of what the defense of this country actually requires-it's based on what US arms manufacturers can get away with (almost anything, it turns out).

Attaching the word "defense" to this spending isn't just misleading-it's the complete opposite of the truth, since military waste and fraud make our country weaker, not stronger. The preposterously obese Pentagon budget is the single greatest threat there is to our national security.
Respectfully excerpted from:
Take the Rich Off Welfare
by Mark Zepezauer and Arthur Naiman
Odonian Press, 1996

So it's more than simply low cost waste. It is an insult. I was equally insulted when they took 3 billion dollar B-2 Stealth Bombers to fly near and antagonize North Korea. Yemen and drone strikes are certainly no less important but it should be noted that the same crony corporate ties and pleas for guaranteed jobs is how MQ-1s and the rest of these weapons of war continuously get built. You can't even speak of ending the programs as they are pork in key congressional districts and spread around the country.

I am ashamed and outraged for what our government is doing in Yemen. I am ashamed and outraged at the American people for not understanding the moral hazard and incentives for waste these corporations have when receiving tax payer dollars to fund their various designs and schemes.

I am no social conservative, in my understanding of the phrase, but I find myself getting annoyed at the slap in the face these presidential vacations are and the waste occurring because of. People are homeless and this asshole spends millions of dollars trivially. It's a slap in the face to all common decency. No doubt he'll order another drone strike in Yemen while vacationing. Then next Correspondent's Dinner he'll be making jokes about it. And the people will laugh.

surf
08-12-2013, 11:41 AM
as a emperor's vacation fyi - I work with a kid that used to be stationed at Camp David - he and a another soldier taught our emperor how to shoot clay pigeons (remember the photo?). as you'd suspect, the traps were always in the same spot.

he also reiterated that the emperor really does suck at hoops verifying that Hawaiian hoops suck.