PDA

View Full Version : Help me make the Ron Paul case to a bunch of Dems

FireofLiberty
11-27-2007, 09:40 PM
A bunch of Democrats I know from a Yahoo Group I'm a member of have asked me why I'm supporting Ron Paul. I've went back and forth with them on numerous issues but now what I want to do is bring my #1 point home as to why I support Ron Paul and simply cannot support any other Democrat or Republican running.

I could probably handle this myself, but I'm sure you guys can come up with some good point to ram home.

Okay, here's the angle I want to use: The dollar crisis. I want to make the case that Ron Paul is the only candidate with a solution to what is going on with the dollar and in order to avoid it and be able to take care of the people reliant on social programs we have to enact the policies that only he offers (mostly in regards to foreign policy and saving hundreds of billions by ending the American empire). No other candidate, Democrat or Republican, offers this platform and while Ron Paul may philosophically disagree with social programs (as do I) all the other candidates are the ones that would be truly putting them at risk by not doing anything about the dollar. They claim to support these social programs, but until they come up with a solution to be able to pay for them they simply don't really and are putting them at risk. Instead of doing something about our sliding dollar, run away deficit and the fact that we're spending way beyond our means and have been reduced to printing money out of thin air they instead propose to spend EVEN more money on social programs and the creation of new ones without anyway to pay for the programs as is, much less an increase in spending or new ones.

Facts and stats related to what's going on with the dollar would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

noxagol
11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
You have already hit the nail on the head. The 800lb gorilla in the room regarding welfare and social programs is where the money comes from. Most people don't question it at all and think it is free money. Make them realize this money comes from somewhere and explain how it gets paid for, and how this actually hurts the economy and a damaged economy hurts the poor the worst.

Higher taxes hurt the poor the most, inflation hurts the poor the most, and if the economy goes into recession, the poor will go into the streets first. And low taxes and stable currency will keep this economy afloat.

jonahtrainer
11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Facts and stats related to what's going on with the dollar would be extremely helpful.

Here is a 2 part YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgrxpp97OQ) from David Walker, Head of the GAO.

I think you hit on some good points. Perhaps you can drive the point home by saying something like:

Our entire monetary system is based only on confidence. When that confidence is lost we will be worse than bankrupt. The Controller of the Government Accountability Office is sounding the alarm. If our monetary system collapses then there will be no money for anyone. There will be no retirement, no health insurance and probably no food. We will have a situation worse than the Great Depression. We already see it happening. Only Ron Paul understands and has spoken out against this illusory monetary system. Only Ron Paul has a plan to navigate us through this incredible mess both parties have brought upon us over the past 100 years.

Mithridates
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Easy. Just ask them whether they want a swiftboating, mud-throwing dirt-slinging Karl Rove style campaign or a person like Ron Paul who talks about the issues and avoids personal attacks. It's in both the Democrats' and the country's best interests to have a campaign devoid of personal attacks and focused on the issues.

You could also bring up how Ron Paul wants to let people opt out of the system, but will keep it up for those dependent on it (the 'no throwing people out into the streets' bit).

Also tell them that Ron Paul as the Republican candidate would sound the final death knell to the 'they hate us for our freedom' and 'you're either with us or with the enemy rhetoric' (since the Democrat candidate won't be saying those things either), and the focus of the campaign would be how to get out of Iraq, and quick.

Brian Bailey
11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Great thread. I'll keep an eye on it and report on the questions and answers tomorrow in the newsletter.

Goldwater Conservative
11-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Don't Democrats want a humble foreign policy, strong national defense, and no nation-building? Don't they want their civil liberties protected by government, not trampled? Don't they realize that the "worst" Paul can do regarding the welfare state is balance the budget, freeze spending at current levels (when it's far outpaced inflation for years), and leave social programs to state and local governments? Don't they want an honest president who strictly follows the Constitution and isn't influenced by special interests?

Brian Bailey
11-28-2007, 10:37 AM
bump