PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Manual: When – and How – To Run

Anti Federalist
08-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Tactical Manual: When – and How – To Run

by eric • July 28, 2013 • 111 Comments

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/07/28/tactical-manual-when-and-how-to-run/

I wrote a couple week back (see here) about how increasingly Draconian punishments for relatively minor – and purely statutory (i.e., involving no harm to others) traffic offenses – for example, a “reckless driving” cite for nothing more than traveling over 80 MPH, or more than 20 MPH faster than any speed limit – are giving drivers an incentive to flee rather than pull over. Why not? On the one hand, there’s the sure thing of a huge fine, a likely mandatory court appearance, possible jail time, almost certain loss of license and guaranteed doubling in cost of your state-mandated extortion (insurance) for the next 3-5 years. . . On the other hand, freedom from all of that – at the risk of doubling down.

I don’t recommend it – but I do understand it.

But, before you think about trying to Bo and Luke ol’ Roscoe P. Coltrane – who has morphed into a PTS’D Officer 82nd Airborne and swapped his never-to-be-fired-in anger six-shooter for a hair-trigger Glock 40 - keep in mind the following:

If you don’t get away – if they do catch you – you will be going to jail.

And, you may stay there for awhile. In most states, “eluding” or “attempting to elude” a cop is at least a major misdemeanor – and can be a felony. In my home state (VA), the very least you’ll be charged with is a Class 2 Misdemeanor, which carries a potential six month stay in Hotel Graybar. They may also charge you with a Class 6 Felony – a serious bust with severe immediate ramifications – not less than 1 year in the clink/$2,500 fine – and daunting lifelong repercussions: You’ll be a convicted felon for the rest of your life and as such, de-barred possession of firearms, among other things.

You might also wreck and hurt yourself – or someone else. That’s not something you want on your conscience.

Also, know yourself – and respect your limits. This sort of thing requires a higher-than-average skill set as a wheelman – and the steady nerves to go with it. If you’re not a very good driver – and very calm under pressure – do not attempt.

Bottom line: Think carefully about making a break for it – and be aware of and prepared for the consequences. It is not something to be done lightly. And if done at all, only do it when the odds are stacked in your favor.

For instance:

You’ve got “the drop” on the cop.

Classic scenario: You’re on the highway, running 80-ish . . . along with everyone else. Even though the speed limit is 70, you know that the 82 you’re running is statutory “reckless driving.” You pass a cop in a cut-out, obviously running radar. You glance in your rearview, see him turn on his lights or some other clue that he’s coming after you. Bad news.

But – the good news – you’re already moving at 80-plus and he is hardly moving at all. You know it will take him at least a critical minute or two to enter the highway from the cut-out and get up to speed – and get behind you. There are lots of other cars he must bob and weave around to reach you, too.exit pic

You’ve got “the drop” on the cop. The odds are stacked in your favor.

You’ll be out of his immediate sight for a few precious moments and given that you passed him doing 80-plus while he was stationary, it is extremely unlikely he was able to see more than color, make and model. Certainly not your plate numbers. *

If you’ve got the nerve to do it, this is a scenario that makes sense – insofar as trying to dodge the cop. Rather than slow down and await the inevitable chicken-plucking, you could ramp up your speed. Put distance between you and the cop. Then, take the second exit off the freeway. The cop will assume you took the first one.

So, you take the second one.

Now, disappear. Get off the main roads. Get out of sight. If it’s an urban area, find a large (and full of other cars) parking lot – and park. Then do some shopping. Take a long time. If it’s a rural setting, take the back roads – and make numerous left and right turns. Find a quiet place, one not visible from any major road – and park it. Hunker down. Wait at least a few hours before – very carefully – creeping away from the scene.

It’s rare (assuming simple eluding) that the cops will throw out a dragnet with checkpoints and such. But the cops will be on the lookout.

And they will be mad.

After a few hours, you can probably risk coming out of hiding. At this point, you have plausible deniability, even if a cop does see you. What, officer? No – that wasn’t me. I’ve been shopping (or whatever – make it up) for the past several hours. You’re mistaken. You’re looking for someone else.

Keep in mind that unless he got your plate – not likely – he can’t know it’s you – and proving it in court would be hard. This assumes, of course, that you aren’t driving a highly recognizable – and highly unusual – vehicle. If you were driving a lisptick red Viper, don’t run – unless you’ve got a friend with an empty semi truck with ramps down and ready to provide you a hidey-hole (and cart your ass out of the county – the state – incognito)

Another option is to call a friend – one of the few times a sail fawn can be genuinely useful – and have him pick you up. Leave the car; pick it up later on – after the heat has died down.

Final thought: If you do get caught, never admit you knew you were being pursued. I had no idea you were back there, officer. This is crucial – because it’s a viable legal defense. Stick to it. Admit nothing – and say nothing, except for that.

Good luck – and be careful.

Throw it in the Woods?

* Be aware that in a growing number of jurisdictions – major urban areas, mostly – cops now have have plate scanners, machines that automatically read/record the license numbers of passing cars. If they have these in your area, forget fleeing. You’re already caught – no matter what you do. Might as well just pull over. Or wait for them to show up at your house.

Carson
08-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Reminds me of a time I was having some fun on a favorite on ramp. It was pretty late and not much traffic but this one guy way back on the freeway I was merging onto.

Naturally wanting to match speed for an easy merge I gave it a little more. So'd the other car! And on it went. By the time I was able to merge I was also able to see it was the Highway Patrol, or some other agency. He said I was going 90 plus.

I WAS able to get on despite him. Though I was pretty much an asshole about it. Thankfully he was the cooler of us two.

Oh and how about the people you come up on going a little slower than you but when you go to pass they're all like peddle to the metal?

"Or wait for them to show up at your house."

Been there. Not good.

Anti Federalist,

You haven't been out there practicing, have you?

aGameOfThrones
08-09-2013, 10:03 PM
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50887f460233a.gif

ninepointfive
08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Cop Gets Stuck on the Railroad Tracks!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGUoRd6eCg

came for the benton drama - stayed for the lively discussion

dirtbike ftw

Christian Liberty
08-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Man, Eric's got guts to post that. Kudos...

CPUd
08-09-2013, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HFJZCI4kg

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-10-2013, 07:41 AM
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50887f460233a.gif

The guy pushing the first car is asking for it. That's just dumb.

Anti Federalist
08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Anti Federalist,

You haven't been out there practicing, have you?

Who, me?

Carson
08-10-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HFJZCI4kg

At 3:30;

Man if I was the judge and heard that statement about you thinking the money from the video would pay for the tickets I'd calculate you were sadly mistaken.

FSP-Rebel
08-10-2013, 11:11 AM
First off, I rarely speed and never do more than 5 over. The safe advice is to just take the ticket and move on. Most highway coppers have enhanced vehicle engines and can get up to speed in less than 10 seconds and sometimes there's plenty of distance until the next off ramp.

Anti Federalist
08-10-2013, 11:17 AM
First off, I rarely speed and never do more than 5 over.

Another docile and well broken in serf.

You are to commended, Comrade.

Christian Liberty
08-10-2013, 11:21 AM

I don't drive past the speed limit generally, and never go five over, but then, I can't drive that well and I know my own limitations. I know my mother is fully capable of driving 90+ safely on a highway.

While I certainly do not judge anyone for violating speed limits laws, I don't judge anyone for not violating them either. Self-preservation is a thing, and there's nothing per say immoral about driving below a certain speed. So its a personal decision.

I have no doubt private roads would have some speed limitations, but there would also likely be a lot more variety in such things due to the free choice of free market.

FSP-Rebel
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Hardly and I'm not against it if traffic as a whole is doing it but I can't stand that guy that is racing in and out of traffic and blowing peoples' doors off. That is public endangerment and irresponsible. Regarding myself, I used to speed over 100 mph on the highways racing with my buddies after school and I realize what an asshat I was and matured myself out of that. Breaking the law just for the power trip and then trying to evade authorities is a rush for some apparently, not for me. I take my aggression (the very little I have) out at the gym, not on the roads.

TruckinMike
08-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Tactical Manual: When – and How – To Run

Funny you post this. A long long time ago....The first time I was speeding +20 over the speed limit they accused me of eluding(when I wasn't) and arrested me. The second time I was speeding +20 over the speed limit --> I hauled ass with my lights off and got away. The moon lit up the road perfectly and I could clearly see the other traffic as they had their lights on. It wasn't as dangerous as it sounds. Anyway, I used the emergency brake and down shifting to slow down, then made a quick left, parked in the woods, and watched the cop'er drive by. I might add with a big grin on my face.:D LoL!

I was good at driving. Still am...Go figure.

Christian Liberty
08-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Hardly and I'm not against it if traffic as a whole is doing it but I can't stand that guy that is racing in and out of traffic and blowing peoples' doors off. That is public endangerment and irresponsible. Regarding myself, I used to speed over 100 mph on the highways racing with my buddies after school and I realize what an asshat I was and matured myself out of that. Breaking the law just for the power trip and then trying to evade authorities is a rush for some apparently, not for me. I take my aggression (the very little I have) out at the gym, not on the roads.

OK, I agree with you, but if the cops are threatening to take your license or even lock you up because of an arbitrary number on a sign, yet you're driving safely (Which I know is somewhat arbitrary) and you try to flee, I think the thug in the blue costume has at least some responsibility for what happens.

MelissaWV
08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
The guy pushing the first car is asking for it. That's just dumb.

Well the guy driving the first car is an idiot, too, so maybe they are related.

Christian Liberty
08-10-2013, 12:43 PM
+rep to the OP.

Props to Eric for having guts. They'll probably be coming for him first...

Anti Federalist
08-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Funny you post this. A long long time ago....The first time I was speeding +20 over the speed limit they accused me of eluding(when I wasn't) and arrested me. The second time I was speeding +20 over the speed limit --> I hauled ass with my lights off and got away. The moon lit up the road perfectly and I could clearly see the other traffic as they had their lights on. It wasn't as dangerous as it sounds. Anyway, I used the emergency brake and down shifting to slow down, then made a quick left, parked in the woods, and watched the cop'er drive by. I might add with a big grin on my face.:D LoL!

I was good at driving. Still am...Go figure.

Three statements:

1 - Chopper.

2 - Grave yard.

3 - Golf Course.

Worked like a charm.

;)