PDA

View Full Version : email from my R district chair - WA has different "issues" than elsewhere

surf
08-09-2013, 11:33 AM
so I got this email from my R district chair - i'm a reluctant R PCO. unsure what her motivation is

This news release was sent to me on August 8th. There are two meetings left that some of you may wish to attend. The one on Monday the 12th is the one with the location closest to the Eastside.

(i'm gonna leave her name blank)
48th Legislative District Chair, KCGOP

News Release

Date: July 31, 2013

Four public meetings set on proposed zoning for marijuana-related businesses in King County
Proposed ordinance would allow indoor growing, limit outdoor growing to rural and agricultural areas, and allow processing and retail sales in certain business zones

Following the voter initiative creating a state licensing system for production and sales of recreational marijuana, a King County agency has developed proposed standards for the zoning of marijuana-related businesses that would be regulated by the state and located in unincorporated King County, outside of cities.

“The voters have mandated that marijuana-related businesses are allowed uses, so we have worked to identify appropriate zoning districts for them,” said John Starbard, director of the King County Department of Permitting and Environmental Review. “As a next step we now seek public input on this proposed zoning, which will define where these uses will be permitted in the unincorporated areas outside cities."

The agency will hold four public meetings in August on the proposed legislation. All meetings will be held from 6:00 to 9:00 pm, with an open house the first hour with King County staff available to answer questions. The public comment period will begin at 7:00 pm.

Wednesday, August 7
Snoqualmie Valley area
Fall City Library
33415 SE 42nd Pl., Fall City

Thursday, August 8
North Highline area
Technology Access Foundation
605 SW 108th Street, Seattle

Monday, August 12
Southeast King County
Maple Valley Library
21844 SE 248th Street, Maple Valley

Tuesday, August 13
Vashon/Maury Island
Courthouse Square
19021 Vashon Highway SW, Vashon

Among the elements of the proposed ordinance that will be discussed:

• Indoor growing and processing of marijuana would be allowed in areas zoned as Community Business, Regional Business, and Industrial.

• Outdoor growing would be limited to the Agriculture and Rural Area zones.

• Retail sales would be allowed in the Neighborhood Business, Community Business, and Regional Business Zones.

All recreational marijuana businesses operating under the system created by voters through Initiative 502 would require a valid license from the State of Washington. The initiative prohibits the siting of those businesses within 1000 feet of youth-oriented facilities such as parks, libraries, schools, child care centers, and game arcades. Proposed rules under consideration by the state would require fencing and other security measures for all licensed facilities, including outdoor growing.

The proposed King County ordinance would also codify standards existing in state statute for medical marijuana uses, by allowing individual growing and collective gardens authorized for qualifying patients under that state law. The proposed ordinance would prohibit collective gardens within 1000 feet of youth-oriented uses, the same as with recreational marijuana facilities.

Voters enacted I-502 in November to establish a regulatory system for the growing, processing, sale of marijuana for recreational purposes. The Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) was charged with responsibility for implementing the regulatory system of recreational marijuana, and is expected to adopt final rules in September for the licensing of recreational marijuana businesses. Once the state rules are adopted, the WSLCB will begin accepting applications for licenses. Licensees will be required to identify the location of the business and the WSLCB will issue licenses for a specific location.

With input from the four public meetings, the County Executive is expected to submit a final proposed ordinance to the Metropolitan King County Council by the end of August.

Copies of the proposed ordinance should be ready for download by the end of the day at www.kingcounty.gov/permitting.

# # #

King County provides regional services to nearly 2-million residents including 250,000 people living in unincorporated areas. Services include Metro transit, public health, wastewater treatment, courts, jails, prosecutors, public defenders, community and social services, the King County International Airport, and local services such as police protection, roads service, and solid waste transfer station and landfill services, plus more than 26,000 acres of parks and natural lands, and 175 miles of regional trails. King County is the 14th largest county in the nation by population, and covers 2,134 square miles, 39 cities, 760 lakes and reservoirs, and six major river systems with 3,000 miles of streams.

any mod feel free to move or get rid of this post.

FSP-Rebel
08-09-2013, 01:15 PM
My guess is that she wants as many republicans (typically against decrim or legalization) as possible to show up and propose limiting grow ops to certain areas. Hence, her WA has different issues than elsewhere routine. It must really burn to be a status quo republican in a state that has recreational cannabis use. If I was you, I'd attend one or two of these meetings as it could be a good networking event and perhaps even funny as the squishes get all hot and bothered.

surf
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
i'm gonna see if I can get it posted as a meetup in the Seattle area. personally I can't attend. would love it if some of our folks identified themselves as "republican"

muh_roads
08-09-2013, 01:46 PM
People that live up there should organize and attend those public events.

It does get tiring arguing with retards that don't understand the law of supply and demand. Not too hard to grasp. When supply is high, cost is low, drug lord wallets start to hemorrhage.

surf
08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
i'll be surprised if the majority are not well-spoken advocates for greater (though still limited) "freedom" on this issue. I can only imagine what might happen if a bunch of rpers showed up and pointed out a "republican" viewpoint that less government involvement will lead to better outcomes for all.