PDA

View Full Version : FL-Man kills his wife, posts pictures of her dead body on FarceBook.

Anti Federalist
08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Fla. man accused of killing wife, posting grisly photo

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/08/wife-murder-facebook/2633953/

SOUTH MIAMI, Fla. (AP) — A South Florida man who authorities say fatally shot his wife — and apparently then posted a photo of her body on Facebook — turned himself into police Thursday.

Derek Medina, 31, told officers he had shot Jennifer Alfonso, 26, at their South Miami home, Miami-Dade police reported in a news release. When officers responded to the home, they found Alfonso's body, as well as her 10-year-old daughter, who was unharmed.

Detectives didn't immediately give a motive and didn't address the Facebook post. Charges were pending.

A post on a Facebook page identified as Medina's said at 11:11 .a.m. Thursday, "Im going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys takecare Facebook people you will see me in the news."

The post claimed that his wife was punching him and that he wasn't going to stand any more abuse. However, YouTube videos linked to his Facebook page earlier this week show him working out in a martial arts studio, punching and kicking a heavy bag.

The next and final post — also at 11:11 a.m. and titled "Rip Jennifer Alfonso" — was a gruesome photograph showing a woman in black leotards slumped on the floor, on her back with her legs bent backward and blood on her left arm and left cheek. The photo was up for more than five hours before Facebook removed the page late Thursday afternoon.

A Facebook spokeswoman said in an email to the Associated Press that she couldn't comment on a law enforcement investigation but could provide a general comment from the company.

"The content was reported to us," the spokeswoman wrote. "We took action on the profile — removing the content and disabling the profile, and we reached out to law enforcement. We take action on all content that violates our terms, which are clearly laid out on our site."

Public records show that Medina and Alfonso first married in January 2010, divorced in February 2012 and then remarried three months later. Medina bought the condominium unit where the couple lived in March 2012 for $107,000.

On his Facebook page, Medina claimed to be a supervisor at a property management company and to have appeared in the Miami-based crime drama "Burn Notice," though his name doesn't appear in online credits for the show.

Photos posted by Medina on Wednesday show the family enjoying a meal alongside an unnamed marina and lounging beside a swimming pool.

Police had the area around the condo complex where the couple lived, in a suburb south of downtown Miami, taped off Thursday evening. The complex is made up of yellow-peach colored townhouses with faded wood roofs.

Several cars filled the near-empty parking area in front of the townhouses as police questioned neighbors and possibly friends of the victim. Some of those gathered were crying.

Neighbor Phil Eby said he didn't know the couple very well but expressed surprise at the shooting.

"I met him a couple of times. He seemed like a pretty nice guy," Eby said. "But I don't remember her at all."

It wasn't immediately clear if Medina had an attorney.

Smart3
08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Glad he turned himself in. Saved us money. Give him some lubricant for Bubba.

Anti Federalist
08-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Glad he turned himself in. Saved us money. Give him some lubricant for Bubba.

Not so fast there, Tex.

Other reports are saying that the woman was trying to stab him.

Might be a self defense case.

CaseyJones
08-08-2013, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIuAz7aryo

Christian Liberty
08-08-2013, 10:08 PM
This is the kind of thing where I say the death penalty can be used (After a trial, obviously) without any real risk of killing an innocent person.

I don't see any scenario in which this guy is innocent without resorting to conspirational thinking, in which case, he was screwed anyway.

oyarde
08-08-2013, 10:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIuAz7aryo

I would have to go with "Its all over now" , Rolling Stones.

kcchiefs6465
08-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Not so fast there, Tex.

Other reports are saying that the woman was trying to stab him.

Might be a self defense case.
He did say that he couldn't deal with the physical abuse anymore.

A line of bullshit if you asked me.

Hard for me to imagine a woman beating on a man in the extreme way that would warrant her death. He could have left, or resorted to self-defense that was on par with the level of violence being used against him. I'll take the neg reps from those who claim it is never okay to hit a woman, and that is usually true, but sometimes actions have consequences.

Their daughter was in the house too? What a damn shame. He should have took the knife from her, left, or used the necessary force to stop the assault. (if she was indeed attacking him, which I somewhat doubt) Probably a verbal, he got mad, they were having their problems and he shot her. That he would post her picture on Facebook is something on another level of fuckedupness. For her friends and family to see? What a piece of shit. The trial will probably turn into something of a spectacle like Jodi Arias's and he'll probably try to use him posting it to Facebook to work towards an insanity plea.

paulbot24
08-08-2013, 10:22 PM
"The post claimed that his wife was punching him and that he wasn't going to stand any more abuse. However, YouTube videos linked to his Facebook page earlier this week show him working out in a martial arts studio, punching and kicking a heavy bag."

How is this statement some kind of contradiction as the article is implying? Was the heavy bag wearing black leotards and named Jennifer?

Anti Federalist
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Hard for me to imagine a woman beating on a man in the extreme way that would warrant her death.

Inserts wisecrack about the ex-Mrs. AF here.

devil21
08-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Just when I think Ive seen it all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2387305/Derek-Medina-Florida-man-posts-picture-dead-wife-Jennifer-Alfonso-Facebook.html

A Florida man has been arrested in connection to his wife's murder after posting a graphic photo on his Facebook page showing a blood-spattered woman slumped on the floor.

In a message that appeared on his personal Facebook account Thursday morning, 31-year-old Derek Medina, of Miami, allegedly admitted to the murder of his wife, 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso.

'Im going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys takecare Facebook people you will see me in the news,' he wrote. 'My wife was punching me and I am not going to stand anymore with the abuse so I did what I did I hope u understand me.'

more at link

GunnyFreedom
08-09-2013, 05:15 AM
insane. utterly and completely insane.

asurfaholic
08-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Sad. As long as there are people in the world, there will be crazy too.

BlackTerrel
08-09-2013, 07:14 AM
"The post claimed that his wife was punching him and that he wasn't going to stand any more abuse. However, YouTube videos linked to his Facebook page earlier this week show him working out in a martial arts studio, punching and kicking a heavy bag."

How is this statement some kind of contradiction as the article is implying? Was the heavy bag wearing black leotards and named Jennifer?

It would imply that the dude is in decent shape and could defend himself.

Not a big revelation: most men are stronger than their wives.

Maybe his wife was Gina Carano. Would have to see the evidence first.

BlackTerrel
08-09-2013, 07:14 AM

It would imply that the dude is in decent shape and could defend himself.

Not a big revelation: most men are stronger than their wives.

Maybe his wife was Gina Carano. Would have to see the evidence first.

Carlybee
08-09-2013, 07:18 AM
A lot of abusers try to turn it around and act like they were the victim. She probably said something to set him off..even if she hit him he could have left and called the cops, instead of killing her.

american.swan
08-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Crazy crazy crazy. Isn't it nice that we have Facebook to identify the crazy ones quickly. Like this dude who shortened the trial and limited his appeals in advance.

Weston White
08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
This seems to sum up the condition of his mental faculties:

His works, mostly bearing odd and lengthy titles (including: 'How I Saved Someone's Life and Marriage and Family Problems Thru Communication.'), are available through the site e-junkie priced between $999 and $11.99. At least one is out in paperback selling for $19.99.

His latest offering is 'World Just Ask Yourself Why We Are Living a Life Full of Lies and How I an Emotional Writer Made All of My Professional Dreams Come True Blocking Society's Teachings.'

In a summary of one book, Medina claims he can hunt ghosts and at one time saved his wife from a poltergeist attack while they were in New York.

Elsewhere in his writings, Medina talked about his experiences with aliens and lamented that humans are not working on a time travel machine needed for an 'evacuation plan.'

Antischism
08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/steven_kelly2/Derek-Medina-and-Jennifer-Alonso-Screenshot_zps42dc49ae.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1289508/thumbs/o-DEREK-MEDINA-FACEBOOK-570.jpg?5

Here's the picture (http://i.imgur.com/pk6ok7F.jpg) of the woman's dead body on Facebook if anyone's curious.

He wrote a bunch of self-published "self help" books, too.

http://i.imgur.com/8PLggtB.jpg

In one of them, he claims (http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/08/derek_medina_facebook_wife_kil.php) that he saved his wife from ghosts.

Also of note is this (http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Woman-Shot-and-Killed-in-South-Miami-Husband-Admits-to-Killing-Police-218860341.html):

Medina was described as a self-appointed neighbourhood watchman who patrolled the area with a concealed gun, according to local residents. "He walks around with a concealed gun, so he tries to be the neighborhood watch guy," neighbor Yoshi Dade told NBC Miami. "He's always there late (at) night, and he's weird to me. He's always kind of looking around and trying to be a hero."

http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/08/Facebook-12.jpg

Furthermore (http://www.local10.com/news/police-man-kills-wife-turns-self-in/-/1717324/21389790/-/5hvuwgz/-/index.html),

Officials say Medina claimed him and Alfonso were in a fight when he went upstairs to his bedroom and got a gun. Medina said he pointed the gun at Alfonso and she left the room.

Medina claims that minutes later, Alfonso returned to the bedroom to tell him that she was leaving him. Medina said that's when he followed her without the gun and she began punching him.

According to Medina, he went back to the room to rearm himself with the gun, returned to the kitchen where Alfonso was armed with a knife. He says he got the knife from her, she began punching him again, and that's when he shot the victim.

Zimmerman case 2.0? Time will tell. It sounds like he's setting things up for a self-defense case, stating that his wife was chasing after him with a knife. Here's an image of them the night before the murder, apparently.

http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/08/Dinner.png

donnay
08-09-2013, 09:41 AM
It amazes me how people who do things like this think they are some kind of celebrity. I wonder how many psychotropic drugs he and his wife were on?

fisharmor
08-09-2013, 09:54 AM
This is the kind of thing where I say the death penalty can be used (After a trial, obviously) without any real risk of killing an innocent person.

Ok, fair enough... but some of us don't care about the question you're answering.
It doesn't matter to me whether this man is innocent or not - it's the killing of a person by the state that I object to.

Does killing him bring his wife back?
Does killing him compensate his wife's surviving family?

There's only one guaranteed thing that killing him accomplishes: it exacts vengeance on behalf of the state.
That is its primary purpose. He broke the state's rules, and now the state is going to try to kill him for it.

The only other argument that can possibly be made is that killing him will somehow will curb behavior in others. I can see the logic in that, but if one is to make a utilitarian argument then widespread personal firearms ownership and low/no barriers to bearing them is far more utilitarian in preventing violent crime than allowing the state to execute convicts.

I'm not against capital punishment - in fact, I'm very much in favor of it, provided it's applied by the victim at the time of the crime.
But what you're talking about is allowing my greatest single enemy (and yours) to wantonly kill.

lib3rtarian
08-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Uncensored picture here: http://chelseahoffman.com/

MelissaWV
08-11-2013, 08:28 AM
The post claimed that his wife was punching him and that he wasn't going to stand any more abuse. However, YouTube videos linked to his Facebook page earlier this week show him working out in a martial arts studio, punching and kicking a heavy bag.

I've already been beaten to this by a couple of posters, but it bears mentioning again.

I'll start by saying that, unless he has a whole lot of evidence to back up his claim, I'm calling bullshit on a need to kill her. It's a personal opinion.

With that out of the way, if I were to look at a story where the woman shot the guy, I would not really be able to say "oh but look! Here's a photo of her a week before, running sprints! She could have run away!" It's stupid. I read the article thinking they were going to say the workout video showed a lot of his exposed skin, and he had no old scars or something. At least that'd be kind of related.

It might have been, as BlackTerrel said, meant to show he was in good shape and able to defend himself. That's only so much bullshit. A woman can shoot a gun, or threaten with a knife, or any number of other things that render a difference in size moot. If you want to be a movie hero and kick the gun out of her hand before she gets a shot off (side note : think of what areas you are exposing to her as you swing around for that big kick), go ahead and think that'll work out for you. It might. It might not.

I'm pretty sure the dude is massively unhinged, history of abuse or no, as evidenced by the fact he ran to Facebook and posted this all on there.

Anti Federalist
08-11-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the dude is massively unhinged, history of abuse or no, as evidenced by the fact he ran to Facebook and posted this all on there.

My opinion is irrelevant, since I consider anybody who posts every single private bit of minutia of their lives on FarceBook is "unhinged".

MelissaWV
08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
My opinion is irrelevant, since I consider anybody who posts every single private bit of minutia of their lives on FarceBook is "unhinged".

Yep, but go one step further. There's a level of facepalmery I reserve for those who post evidence of something they know to be a crime on Facebook. It's going to be seen, whether by police or future employers or even just someone whose respect you value.

*IF* he was going to use a history of abuse as a defense, it does not help matters to have rushed off to get a good shot of her lying there (without a knife, even) after he killed her, then get it posted with a little blurb.