PDA

View Full Version : Iowans: Clarify something for me...

foofighter20x
11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I've heard two different sides of this same story for the Iowa Caucus:

PRO: The date is good because students will be home where they are registered to vote, instead of away at college.

CON: Students won't be at the campus, where they'd have to vote...

So... Which is it? :confused:

akovacs
11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd say marginally better if on break. Easier to go to the booth than send in an absentee.

I'm not from Iowa BTW

OReich
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Some students are registered to vote in the city of the college, some are registered where their parents live. We want Ron Paul supporters (which effectively means students) to be wherever they're registered vote; but its realy mixed whether or not they're registered in their college town or their hometown, so who knows which scenario is better. If it turns out that the vast majority of college students are registered in their hometowns, then its great news that the Iowa Caususes is during winter break. I registered here in Alachua County where I attend the University of Florida rather than Miami-Dade County.

TechnoGuyRob
11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
How responsive are Iowans to first-time voters? As in, say that 70% of the people who vote for Ron Paul aren't long-time Republican regulars. Do we still stand a chance, even if we dominate all other candidates by a few points?

Psyclone
11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I am the Ron Paul campus coordinator at Iowa State, and we were elated when they announced the caucus would be on Jan. 3 because about 80% of students are registered at home rather than at school. Not sure if you saw it, but they just released a huge poll of the Iowa State student body (2185 respondents out of 26,000 students, so 8% of the entire student body was polled) that has Ron Paul #1 among Republicans, and the report also included information about the percentage of students who actually were planning to vote. See the poll here:

http://www.soc.iastate.edu/news/caucus.pdf

saahmed
11-28-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm at the U of Iowa. I'm kind of mixed on the date. Had it been on a school night, I could have convinced a bunch of my friends, who may otherwise be apathetic, to go along with me to the caucus. Now they will be going home and will probably just watch the football game. It would not have been a problem to get people registered to vote locally, and in Iowa City I believe many students have already registered here due to the recent vote on the 21-only bar ordinance.

Also, those student who are out of state will probably be at home and not caucus in Iowa, and will not be in their home state when their primary rolls around. So, they never get a vote.

Janet0116
11-28-2007, 02:29 AM
Iowa students, make it happen! Hope for America is truly in the hands of the young voters! YOU can change the face of the Republican party!!

K1RBY
11-28-2007, 03:01 AM
can the meetup groups make sure all RP supporting student have absentee ballots?
already stamped!?!

...hell, how about with RP already checked - then mail em' for them =)

BrianH
11-28-2007, 03:19 AM
can the meetup groups make sure all RP supporting student have absentee ballots?
already stamped!?!

...hell, how about with RP already checked - then mail em' for them =)

Not in Iowa, no such thing for GOP primaries.