PDA

View Full Version : Quad Cities Police Officer Caught Beating Female Shoplifter In Shocking Leaked Video

kcchiefs6465
08-08-2013, 03:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u943i-jSaNQ

This story is courtesy of the Better Government Association:

A Quad Cities police officer brutally beats department-store shoplifter without apparent provocation, and it's caught on video. But officer escapes criminal charges – and keeps his job.

The Better Government Association has obtained chilling video of a male police officer beating a female shoplifting suspect – apparently without provocation – in a mall along the Illinois-Iowa border earlier this year.

The footage – originating from a department store security camera and forwarded to the BGA by a source – shows the much larger officer pummeling the 34-year-old woman in front of her infant daughter. After knocking the woman to the floor, the officer rains numerous blows to her face and head, according to the video, which was authenticated by authorities.

"I was crying and begging him to get off me," Brandie Redell, the woman who was beaten, says in a recent interview with the BGA. Her right eye was injured in the incident, and she says her vision is still impaired.

The incident occurred Feb. 18, 2013, in an interview room inside the Von Maur department store in Davenport, Iowa, one of five Mississippi River towns along the Illinois-Iowa border that collectively are known as the Quad Cities.

Police were called after Von Maur employees observed Redell attempting to steal $388 worth of women's clothing, including three tops, one skirt and one dress, according to interviews and public records.

Davenport Police Officer Scott Crow, seen on the video punching Redell, was disciplined for using excessive force, says Police Chief Frank Donchez. He declined to specify the punishment or say if this was Crow's first offense.

Crow was not criminally charged and remains in his $65,580-a-year job. He did not return phone calls from the BGA.

Redell didn't appear to physically provoke or attack Crow during the police interview gone awry. The video shows Redell seated in a chair while being questioned by police, apparently crying and talking on a cell phone when Crow moves toward her.

In Crow's version, he rushed Redell because her "hands were clenched" and she appeared "willing to fight," according to a copy of the case report obtained by the BGA under Iowa's open records law.

Crow also states that once on the ground Redell bit his finger and would not let up, the reason he started punching her head, according to the report. (Redell admitted to the BGA that she indeed did bite Crow after he tackled her. But the video also shows Crow striking Redell with both fists, so his finger wasn't always between clenched teeth.)

Another officer also is seen in the video scuffling with Redell but doesn't appear to strike her with his fists. That second officer was not disciplined.

In Chicago, allegations of police misconduct have been front and center for at least a decade, mainly the result of revelations that former Area 2 Police Cmdr. Jon Burge and his underlings used torture to elicit false confessions.

While those cases continue to garner heavy media attention, many other excessive force complaints are handled quietly and without fanfare. Video of Redell's beating hasn't been publicly disclosed until now, so far as the BGA could determine.

Days after the incident Redell filed a complaint with Davenport police, alleging Crow used excessive force. Donchez says the department reviewed the allegation and in a letter, dated April 3, 2013, told Redell her complaint was "sustained." The department didn't specify how Crow was disciplined, but the video apparently played a large role in the decision-making.

Scott County, Iowa, prosecutor Michael Walton reviewed a video of the beating but decided not to press charges against Crow, citing a lack of evidence. "I don't think the video disputes" Crow's claim that he hit Redell because she bit him, Walton says.

Public safety expert David Bradford disagrees.

"At some point his hand is free [from her mouth] and he continued to pummel her," says Bradford, executive director of Northwestern University Center for Public Safety, who was shown the video. "He went overboard."

Redell was charged with two misdemeanors: Assault causing injury to a peace officer and shoplifting. She pled guilty to shoplifting, and the assault charge was dropped, according to interviews and public records.

She is to be sentenced Aug. 23 in Scott County Court. Her criminal record includes two previous shoplifting convictions, records show.

Von Maur, headquartered in Davenport, is a family-owned department store chain with 27 locations in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and eight other states. A company spokesman had no immediate comment.

The BGA obtained a copy of the video from civil rights activist David Lowery. His suburban Chicago-based nonprofit, Living and Driving While Black Foundation, is advising Redell, who is white. Lowery, a former resident of the Quad Cities, didn't want to say publicly how he obtained the video.

The video shows that police misconduct affects people of all races, says Lowery, adding it can happen to anyone, in any town, not just urban centers like Chicago.

"Hopefully, by disclosing this video, other officers will think twice before they do this to people," he says.

"The Better Government Association doesn't usually shine a light on government in other states," says BGA President & CEO Andy Shaw.

"But it's important to support whistleblowers like the Chicago activist who gave us the altercation video by taking their findings seriously, and – given Chicago's sorry history – to demand that police officers who allegedly use excessive force on suspects be held accountable."

This story was written and reported by the Better Government Association's Andrew Schroedter, who can be reached at aschroedter@bettergov.org or (312) 821-9035.

Help the BGA shine a light on government and hold public officials accountable by becoming a member, contributor or tipster. Details at bettergov.org.

hxx p://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/quad-cities-police-office_n_3720974.html?icid=maing-grid7|maing10|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D355063

kcchiefs6465
08-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Better Government Association?

Scrapmo
08-08-2013, 04:34 AM
But officer escapes criminal charges – and keeps his job.
Shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YA!!!

Redell was charged with two misdemeanors: Assault causing injury to a peace officer and shoplifting.

She really should not have bruised the poor officers knucles with her face.

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Not saying i agree that the officer should be let go, or that he should have done what he did...but I am glad someone beat her up a little. Thieves are scum, especially the repeat offenders. There's no telling how many times she actually got away with stealing.

But, once she was arrested she deserved a trial. Now that she got "punished" she should not have to serve time.

tod evans
08-08-2013, 04:50 AM
As a youngster the county sheriff put many a knot on my friends and my heads, mainly for drinking and hot-rodding..

Never an arrest though, in fact I was driven home more than once...

kathy88
08-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Not saying i agree that the officer should be let go, or that he should have done what he did...but I am glad someone beat her up a little. Thieves are scum, especially the repeat offenders. There's no telling how many times she actually got away with stealing.

But, once she was arrested she deserved a trial. Now that she got "punished" she should not have to serve time.

NAP?

WM_in_MO
08-08-2013, 05:59 AM
NAP?

Clearly this person is a troll. NAP clearly applies here.

tod evans
08-08-2013, 06:13 AM
NAP clearly applies here.

From what I saw the cop needs an ass-whuppin'......

How's that square with your NAP?

ghengis86
08-08-2013, 06:18 AM

While some people deserve a good beating to knock some sense into them, third party beatings by the states goons is never acceptable. Now if the store owner caught her in the act and scrum ensued while he was defending against property loss, with only enough force as necessary to prevent loss of property and repell the criminal - fine. But nobody ever deserves a beating when they're confined and weren't aggressing against the person taking the liberty to dole out the beating. And certainly not a state employee in a costume.

I bet that officer feels good for pounding on something weaker than he

tod evans
08-08-2013, 06:25 AM
While some people deserve a good beating to knock some sense into them, third party beatings by the states goons is never acceptable.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 06:32 AM

I am not a troll, and I will freely admit that what I said is probably wrong on many levels.

But as much as I dislike cops who love their power and immunity, I also dislike thieves who victimize people habitually.

Hope you understand. I am not claiming to have the right answer, the cop should be fired. But no pity can be mustered up for the lady.

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 06:33 AM
While some people deserve a good beating to knock some sense into them, third party beatings by the states goons is never acceptable. Now if the store owner caught her in the act and scrum ensued while he was defending against property loss, with only enough force as necessary to prevent loss of property and repell the criminal - fine. But nobody ever deserves a beating when they're confined and weren't aggressing against the person taking the liberty to dole out the beating. And certainly not a state employee in a costume.

I bet that officer feels good for pounding on something weaker than he

I absolutely agree with this

kathy88
08-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I am not a troll, and I will freely admit that what I said is probably wrong on many levels.

But as much as I dislike cops who love their power and immunity, I also dislike thieves who victimize people habitually.

Hope you understand. I am not claiming to have the right answer, the cop should be fired. But no pity can be mustered up for the lady.

Just to be clear.... violence is acceptable when used against thieves?

ghengis86
08-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Not for the sake of violence or after they're caught. Force necessary to prevent theft during the act itself is appropriate.

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 07:51 AM

I don't know if you are genuinely confused about my position on this; or if you are trying to bait me into saying something that doesn't reflect a true NAP mindset.

Ill put it this way, I've been robbed multiple times, car broke into, twice, furniture stole right off my front porch, surfboards taken out from under my nose. If i ever catch someone stealing from me, they will welcome the sight of a pig in blue. Because i will beat the snot out of the looser.

I don't think it makes me a bad person to personally not feel pity to watch the thief in the video get beat. Even if its wrong for the cop to do it. I never actually said its ok, so to answer your question, NO. But adding to what ghengis said, stealing is an act of violence against a property owner, and violence returned is not a violation of the NAP.

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 07:52 AM

I ought to neg rep this shit.

PursuePeace
08-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I don't know if you are genuinely confused about my position on this; or if you are trying to bait me into saying something that doesn't reflect a true NAP mindset.

Ill put it this way, I've been robbed multiple times, car broke into, twice, furniture stole right off my front porch, surfboards taken out from under my nose. If i ever catch someone stealing from me, they will welcome the sight of a pig in blue. Because i will beat the snot out of the looser.

I don't think it makes me a bad person to personally not feel pity to watch the thief in the video get beat. Even if its wrong for the cop to do it. I never actually said its ok, so to answer your question, NO. But adding to what ghengis said, stealing is an act of violence against a property owner, and violence returned is not a violation of the NAP.

Hey asurfaholic, I think maybe you're just letting your past experiences momentarily cloud your judgement. I know what it feels like to have someone steal something from you. It's a terrible feeling and it's a violation. But two wrongs obviously don't make a right. Her crime of shoplifting pales in comparison to what this officer did. She stole, she was caught, she'll be prosecuted. Justice doesn't come in the way of fists to the face of someone just sitting there talking on a phone.

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Hey asurfaholic, I think maybe you're just letting your past experiences momentarily cloud your judgement. I know what it feels like to have someone steal something from you. It's a terrible feeling and it's a violation. But two wrongs obviously don't make a right. Her crime of shoplifting pales in comparison to what this officer did. She stole, she was caught, she'll be prosecuted. Justice doesn't come in the way of fists to the face of someone just sitting there talking on a phone.

True, +rep

PaulConventionWV
08-08-2013, 08:59 AM

So now it's either a trial sentence OR police beating with no sentence. Got it.

PaulConventionWV
08-08-2013, 09:01 AM
From what I saw the cop needs an ass-whuppin'......

How's that square with your NAP?

Pretty well.

fr33
08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I watch videos of cops beating women and then I think about my wife. Cop ever beats my wife, I'll go to prison for how I repay him.

angelatc
08-08-2013, 10:02 AM

You're glad "someone" beat her up a little?

angelatc
08-08-2013, 10:03 AM
I watch videos of cops beating women and then I think about my wife. Cop ever beats my wife, I'll go to prison for how I repay him.

Wiait until you're my age. I'd probably do time if they kicked my cat. And he is an annoying little snot.

FrankRep
08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Moral of the story: Don't shoplift. Bad things happen.

JK/SEA
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Judge Dredd justice. Saves taxpayers the cost of Judges and jury's and lawyers. We need to make this tactic policy for ALL infractions and perhaps we can have that perfect Utopia we all are looking for. Constitution?...pffffft....who needs it...?

fisharmor
08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
The simple question is this:
If the store owner had hired someone to watch the premises, and that person did the exact same thing, would it be ok?
Even if it was OK, would any of you still shop there?

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Jeez peeps

I already said i was wrong for feeling the way i do. We all know the cop was wrong for doing this. My comments simply express the frustration with the fact that even with prior convictions, she's still out stealing shit she doesn't need.

Of course beating her up is not the right answer. I've already said this though, people want to focus on other things i also said, but not on the fact i already admitted i was wrong. I admitted that in the first post i posted here.

JK/SEA
08-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Jeez peeps

I already said i was wrong for feeling the way i do. We all know the cop was wrong for doing this. My comments simply express the frustration with the fact that even with prior convictions, she's still out stealing shit she doesn't need.

Of course beating her up is not the right answer. I've already said this though, people want to focus on other things i also said, but not on the fact i already admitted i was wrong. I admitted that in the first post i posted here.

are you a Senator?....lol..

asurfaholic
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
are you a Senator?....lol..

Lol no, I'm just a real living breathing human being. You know, with faults and imperfections.

JK/SEA
08-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Lol no, I'm just a real living breathing human being. You know, with faults and imperfections.

fair enough. I of course can walk on water...lol..

Christian Liberty
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Using violence against a thief to stop the theft should be legally permissible except in the most extreme circumstances (If somebody killed a child to "Stop them" from stealing a candy bar, I would say they should be charged) but in some/most cases is morally questionable, and should possibly be treated accordingly when it comes to shopping at a store.

Mere thieves should not be flogged but even for crimes that should be punished by flogging, that should never just be done arbitrarily by a cop like that. Only after trial and conviction. Nobody should ever get away with what that cop did, beating someone in their custody.

SeanTX
08-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Not saying i agree that the officer should be let go, or that he should have done what he did...but I am glad someone beat her up a little.

This right here is why police misconduct will continue to go on. Abuse of police power is always justified by somebody because the victim is <fill in the blank> .

Reminds me of the gun nuts who cheer on abusive police taserings, beatings, etc , then whine when their precious gun rights are threatened (and ultimately the gun rights are supposed to be there to protect the other rights they don't care about).

Anti Federalist
08-08-2013, 11:23 AM
"Quit resisting! Quit resisting!"

Just another day in AmeriKa.