PDA

View Full Version : DeKalb County GA Sheriff's office caught on camera behaving very badly - vid

devil21
08-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Probably one of the worst examples I've seen. Are they deputies or a bunch of gangbangers with badges?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=043_1375899230

devil21
08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Some background.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/23076212/family-claims

DEKALB COUNTY, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -

A woman said her family got an aggressive wake up call from the DeKalb County Sheriff's Department.

The family told CBS Atlanta News they were startled at 1:30 a.m. when deputies beat on their front door.

Fearing for their safety, the family said they took their time to open the door. Once inside an officer used excessive force and aggressive language, according to one family member.

After the incident, the family posted the video on YouTube.
Watch full video now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7zYKgDTuDA

The sheriff's department claims they received a copy from an anonymous sender Wednesday morning.

Both parties involved in the incident see the actions on video very differently.

Donovan Hall said he had no idea why police would be at their door, so they weren't so quick to open it.

"They never once told me why they were here, what they wanted, or who they wanted," said Hall's mother Natania Griffin.

After more than 30 minutes and confirming with 911, the family opened the door and that was when mayhem appeared to ensue.

The sheriff's department says the officer had a valid arrest warrant and they were at the right home.

They said despite the family's claim, the video shows no excessive force, but admits two of the officers did use inappropriate language.

The arrest warrant was for Natania Griffin. She was arrested for not paying a civil fine.

She told CBS Atlanta that she had run-ins with police here in the past.

torchbearer
08-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Has swat gear will swat.

presence
08-07-2013, 08:49 PM
//

Scrapmo
08-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Has swat gear will swat.

To paraphrase form Radley Balko's new book, "These guys just got all these new toys... and they want to use them."

fr33
08-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Typical mob shakedown. They should feel lucky to be alive.

AFPVet
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Anytime you believe that LEOs or anyone is unlawfully attempting to enter your residence, you have the right to dial 911 and confirm. If 911 does not confirm, in the State of Indiana, you have the right to use force to defend yourself or others.

fr33
08-07-2013, 10:30 PM
The victims could have reacted smarter.

I would have made them break down the door and would have not been standing in plain sight through a window. Nor would I have been attempting to communicate with the bastards. They obviously didn't have a warrant. They would have already have been inside. The idiots opened the door. Don't open the door.

AFPVet
08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
The victims could have reacted smarter.

I would have made them break down the door and would have not been standing in plain sight through a window. Nor would I have been attempting to communicate with the bastards. They obviously didn't have a warrant. They would have already have been inside. The idiots opened the door. Don't open the door.

Exactly... he opened it for them. There is an old saying that is rooted in common law... if you open the door, you are inviting them in. You are absolutely correct. ... and in my state, all they had to do was stay on the line with E911 and the dispatcher will route the call to the elected Sheriff or chief deputy... unlawful entry by any force can be met with legal justifiable deadly force.

ClydeCoulter
08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Exactly... he opened it for them. There is an old saying that is rooted in common law... if you open the door, you are inviting them in. You are absolutely correct. ... and in my state, all they had to do was stay on the line with E911 and the dispatcher will route the call to the elected Sheriff or chief deputy... unlawful entry by any force can be met with legal justifiable deadly force.

I disagree that opening the door invites anyone in. I open the door when someone knocks, but I invite them in only if I want to let them in. I don't even want an aggressor to enter my property, at all, and my driveway is about 1/8 mile long. They can stay the hell up by the mailbox if they aren't friendly.

fr33
08-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Agreed except I wouldn't bother calling 911. I would just expect them to send more backup. The state won't stop the state.

AFPVet
08-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Agreed except I wouldn't bother calling 911. I would just expect them to send more backup. The state won't stop the state.

Unfortunately, for a lot of jurisdictions, yes... but there are a lot of elected sheriffs in my state who said they will not comply... they answer to the people who elected them—not anyone else.

Many others have accepted monies to comply... it's sick.

kcchiefs6465
08-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I agree with your previous post but want to add in a possible scenario. They come at that time to startle people. They don't knock (kick/bang) at your door and then set up people around your house. They have people at windows and around the back so when they do start banging they can see any movement in the house. Them having an arrest warrant for the lady who allegedly stays there is the start. They need to identify that she is there or create probable cause that she is there by your actions.

People hiding in the house, for example. Or even if they see the general figure of who they are looking for. Or even if they lie. With the warrant being for what it was for I am sure that that played a role in them not storming the house. Them also communicating to the people inside did as well. When you know they are coming, turn off the lights, be quiet, have everyone in one room. (before they get there) They'll bang and beat on your door but will not come in.

They handled the situation as best they knew, I'm sure. The woman also having previous encounters with said pigs played a role in their actions as well. If they had not answered the door they would have stationed a deputy there and assaulted whoever eventually comes out of the house. They have nothing but overtime. They'd camp out in front of your house as long as it took. That would be a good time to call the media. Especially if you had a friendly local station.

Indiana.

Maybe people would think before they terrorized others.

kcchiefs6465
08-07-2013, 11:12 PM
"Storming the house" was a misstatement as that is exactly what they did. What I meant is not knocking the door down.

angelatc
08-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Maybe I missed something. What was the warrant for?

kcchiefs6465
08-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Maybe I missed something. What was the warrant for?
Unpaid fines... I guess.

angelatc
08-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Unpaid fines... I guess.

Wow. Must be a big damned fine to justify the thousands and thousands that raid cost.

kcchiefs6465
08-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Wow. Must be a big damned fine to justify the thousands and thousands that raid cost.
The woman (who I assume is the one they were looking for) mentioned in the video that should she be found dead they'd know who did it and for why. She said she had an internal affairs investigation into some officers from that sheriffs department and that the investigation was railroaded.

I don't find her claims to be too far fetched. Might explain why they are searching for someone for unpaid fines with that level of presence.

Her mother was distraught as well breaking down into tears about not doing anything wrong but the police constantly harassing them.

jtap
08-09-2013, 08:35 AM
This video was posted via youtube in another thread and I had some comments there and when googling about this case for information, this thread came up :) good job rpf

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?423752-Worst-police-raid-video-I-have-seen-yet&p=5165669&viewfull=1#post5165669

Edit:

Also, never talk to cops.

angelatc
08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
There's a follow up to the story:

Same ol, same ol: internal investigation. Black mark on a record, blah blah blah.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...-arrest/nZHgY/ (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-deputies-under-fire-video-arrest/nZHgY/)

I'm still curious. An article said that the mother owed a $1000 fine to the county. So that's a crime now?

devil21
08-09-2013, 04:51 PM
There's a follow up to the story:

Same ol, same ol: internal investigation. Black mark on a record, blah blah blah.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...-arrest/nZHgY/ (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-deputies-under-fire-video-arrest/nZHgY/)

I'm still curious. An article said that the mother owed a $1000 fine to the county. So that's a crime now?

If it was part of criminal sentence then yes a warrant can be issued for failure to pay a fine but that's extremely rare (or at least used to be....gov't starving for money now) for such a small amount. The articles keep saying it was a "civil fine" though so that's confusing. Arrest warrants can be issued in civil cases if there are sheriff's forfeitures involved but that is also rare and would be part of a civil judgment against someone.

mrsat_98
08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I would have been pushing my mail under the door. Thats retarted.

jtap
08-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Haha. Was on the Daily Mail for other news and saw they picked this up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389071/Caught-camera-The-shocking-moment-deputies-barged-familys-home-threatening-Taser-cane-mother-sons-failed-pay-1-000-fine.html

Caught on camera: Shocking moment deputies barged into family's home threatening to Taser and 'cane' mother and her two sons because she failed to pay $1,000 fine