PDA

View Full Version : Segregated schools to help black students?

Origanalist
08-07-2013, 07:26 AM
So after all the bussing and social engineering they now want to segregate male black students? SMFH, these idiots can't recognize failure when it smacks them in the face

While the idea may have merit, I have no doubt they will turn it into a disaster.
-----------------------------

Task forces pitch ideas for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

From creating a special school for African-American males to launching a new nonprofit to raise school money, recommendations from 22 task forces created to advise Superintendent Heath Morrison got their first public airing Monday.

More than 450 people, including teachers, parents, students, business leaders and education advocates, served on the panels that Morrison created last fall as he started as Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools superintendent.

He said he targeted “areas of strength to build on and areas of concern that we need to address,” ranging from public trust to gifted students and special education. He will use the advice as he and the school board craft a long-term strategic plan.

A two-hour gathering at West Charlotte High on Monday provided a quick overview of each group’s suggestions, with details to be posted on the CMS website Wednesday.

Morrison said the deep public involvement shows concern not just about the district’s 145,000 students and 18,000-plus employees, but “about the health and well-being of our community.”

Many of the presentations were broad, with only 3 1/2 minutes for each leader to speak. But some offered intriguing specifics, including the proposal for an all-male K-12 school targeting black students.

Nick Wharton, who runs a diversity firm and led the group studying African-American males, said Morrison was courageous to single out the challenges of that student group, which trails most others in measures of academic success.

In addition to calling for the new school, his group urged Morrison to recruit a more diverse teaching staff and revise disciplinary policies on “discretionary” offenses.

Suspensions for those offenses, such as insubordination and classroom disruption, often fall most heavily on black males.

Key questions about the suggestions, from what they will cost to whether they would require changes in policy or legislation, remain to be answered. Morrison, his staff and the school board plan to examine all of the plans and list next steps.

Cotrane Penn, a CMS employee who led the cultural competence task force, urged CMS to expand the one-person diversity department to make sure all educators understand cultural differences.

“I want to emphasize that cultural competence is not just about race,” she said. “It’s about issues of class. It’s about issues of gender. It’s about issues of sexuality.” (Oh, yah, disaster...)

Expanding staff was a common theme. Various panels called for adding staff for gifted students, family support, community partnerships, CMS-TV and district communications.

Morrison said afterward that finding money for new staff and better technology, another repeated theme, is “certainly going to be part of the challenge.” But he said he won’t request additions without looking for “what do we stop doing” to offset new spending.

Jay Everette of Wells Fargo, whose group studied the CMS Foundation, gave one of the most detailed pitches. Former Superintendent James Pughsley created the foundation to accept donations, but it has since become dormant.

Everette’s group called for the foundation to be reconstituted as an independent nonprofit group “to retain some objectivity,” run by a board that includes community members and at least one teacher and principal. The foundation should raise money for specific efforts tied to CMS goals, he said, such as an innovation fund for teachers or support for teacher development programs.

While much work remains, Morrison and Deputy Superintendent Ann Clark lauded all the volunteers for attending meetings, doing research and holding focus groups. Many plan to continue working on the issues, and called for the creation of additional advisory boards.

“This has been, in my 30 years of employment, the most authentic, genuine, productive engagement that I’ve ever seen in this district,” Clark said.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/05/4215805/taskforces-pitch-ideas-for-charlotte.html#storylink=cpy

tod evans
08-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Is it time to jerk the federal funding?

Kill the DOE and all it's minions!

Let those people build whatever schools they choose on their own dime.

presence
08-07-2013, 08:26 AM
So how much did it cost the government to come full circle and find birds of a feather do indeed flock together?

tod evans
08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
So how much did it cost the government to come full circle and find birds of a feather do indeed flock together?

Not a dime, the taxpayer however has been raped!

paulbot24
08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
If this proves to be successful, what does this say about the importance of diversity in education? The reason I bring this up is the last college I attended treated the idea of diversity as the holy grail of success in education. They cared more about how diverse their college looked than even their student retention or graduation rates. It was absolutely nauseating.

fisharmor
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
The American people have always been anxious to know what they shall do with us. Gen. Banks was distressed with solicitude as to what he should do with the Negro. Everybody has asked the question, and they learned to ask it early of the abolitionists, "What shall we do with the Negro?" I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are wormeaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall! I am not for tying or fastening them on the tree in any way, except by nature's plan, and if they will not stay there, let them fall. And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone! If you see him on his way to school, let him alone, don't disturb him! If you see him going to the dinner table at a hotel, let him go! If you see him going to the ballot- box, let him alone, don't disturb him! If you see him going into a work-shop, just let him alone,--your interference is doing him a positive injury.

QFT

jbauer
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
They have under privileged Black only charter schools in Memphis. I asked the teacher how F that wasn't racism? She didn't have an answer.

dannno
08-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Hmmm, while they are all there, why don't they teach them how to farm cotton??

They can have an agriculture area right next to the school.

The proceeds can go to the General Fund to be used to pay for schools.

DamianTV
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Is it time to jerk the federal funding?

Kill the DOE and all it's minions!

Let those people build whatever schools they choose on their own dime.

Better yet, make Schools have a Bake Sale every time they want to put in a new Camera, Metal Detector, Barbed Wire Chain Link Fence, or Prison Guard.

buck000
08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
NPR had an interesting article about Dunbar High School in D.C., which had high standards and had some graduates who were fine people.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/07/31/206622688/the-legacy-of-dunbar-high-school

Oh, and from the article:

"The other interesting thing about the segregation issue is Dunbar was always black and has always been black. It never integrated. And D.C. for that matter, legally desegregated but never really integrated. And that is the sort of the interesting social part of the story."

Call me loony, but I'm thinking quality of education might be due to quality of education, rather than ethnicity mix... ;)

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." /seinfeld

TonySutton
08-07-2013, 02:37 PM
The problem with segregation in schools was more about curriculum and money spent when compared to white schools. I was bussed across town in Orlando, FL in 6th grade. I was a solid B student until I attended George Washington Carver Elementary school. Then suddenly I was a straight A student. I realized very quickly what the problem was even at such a young age.

Origanalist
08-07-2013, 10:13 PM
QFT

Nobody could possibly say it better.

KingRobbStark
08-07-2013, 10:49 PM
The only people who will suffer from this are the ones being targeted.

And our pockets.

thoughtomator
08-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Males and females ought to be separated in schools a year or two before they typically start puberty. Forcing schools' worth of children into an involuntary association while ALL of them are going through the shit is a recipe for trouble. I can testify that my interest in school as school pretty much ended when the girls in class started developing.

juleswin
08-07-2013, 11:11 PM
QFT

Too bad I can only give you 1 rep for that quote. That is the most excellent quote on what to do with the black in this country that I have ever come across, lets em rise or fall on their own merit. No government supported segregation or integration policies.