PDA

View Full Version : Speakeasy in Utah

tod evans
08-07-2013, 05:34 AM
How dare he!:rolleyes:

Utah man charged with running a bar in his garage

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56682859-78/bar-garage-police-sandy.html.csp

Sandy • A Sandy man faces up to six months in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000 for allegedly running a bar out of his garage.

Sandy police seized 106 bottles of liquor, 77 cans of beer, a Jagermeister shot machine and nearly $750 in cash from the home of Jared Williams after an undercover investigation. Police also confiscated plastic shot cups, receipts, a cash register and two calculators.

Williams, 33, is charged in Sandy’s justice court with doing business without a license, a class B misdemeanor. He has pleaded not guilty. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Aug. 29 before Judge Paul Farr.

According to the affidavit for a search warrant, a citizen notified police about the residential bar in May.

Officers recognized the address — at about 450 East and 10400 South — from previous complaints about the "Dog Bar," named for the bulldog painted on the garage door.

Police sent an undercover detective to investigate in June. The detective and an informant entered the garage, which was occupied by about 10 men and women, and the man behind the bar identified himself as Jared, according the search warrant affidavit.

Williams then allegedly served alcohol to the officer and said that he had started the bar with his father in 2006.

After a couple of drinks, the officer paid Williams and police returned a week later with a search warrant.

Williams and his attorney did not respond to requests for comment.

angelatc
08-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Well, I feel safer!

osan
08-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Oh BOY!

Chalk up another win for the good guys.

Origanalist
08-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Silly man, he didn't build that.

presence
08-07-2013, 07:31 AM
and nearly $750 in cash from the home

pickle jars under a big rock in the state forest

F That.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-07-2013, 09:41 AM
We have these in Ocean City, NJ. It's a dry town, family-summer destination.

ClydeCoulter
08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
And you thought ending prohibition meant you were free, silly dog. It just meant that the control changed hands to those that could raid you in open daylight without consequences of the court, silly dog.

edit: Remember, which team won the bootleg wars

EBounding
08-07-2013, 10:02 AM
According to the affidavit for a search warrant, a citizen notified police about the residential bar in May.

Excellent work, Slave!

Kotin
08-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Daddy always gets a cut.. Or else..

tod evans
08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Let's see if I get this right.........

I like to drink with my neighbors, they like to drink with me, we've been drinking together after work in my garage for years..

Many years ago we all came to an agreement that it wasn't fair for me to provide beverages for the neighborhood, and storing the neighbors bottles was problematic, so we all agreed that I'd purchase the beverages and recoup my expense by the drink..

Fast forward a few years........Neighbors come and they go but our agreement has remained, there's no profit just replacing inventory, no taxes collected because this is a neighborhood "homeowners club", no license because this is not a business, nor is it open to the public..

Yet here comes officer Dip S. posing as a friend of a neighbor........

presence
08-07-2013, 11:19 AM
tod evans 100% win

What happened to free spirited gentlemans agreements?