PDA

View Full Version : Florida recently established a Hunger Games summer camp(it didn't go so well or did it?)

aGameOfThrones
08-06-2013, 10:08 PM
What self-respecting parent would knowingly send their kid to a summer camp based on The Hunger Games, I don't know, but apparently that camp now exists (though probably not for long).

Inspired by the popular book series-turned-movie franchise, the Country Day School in Largo, Florida recently established a Hunger Games summer camp in which kids competed in a series of trials (think less "swarms of tracker jackers" and more "flag football") as they collected flags from other kids, thus signifying a "kill." Naturally, that rhetoric didn't sit too well with concerned parents, and the terms was then softened to "collecting lives."

However, that didn't stop campers from attempting some of the violent acts depicted in the source material. As the camp week progressed, counselors had to keep reminding the kids that there would be no actual violence or fights to the death. The camp's head counselor, Lindsey Gilette, told the Tampa Bay Times that "the violence the kids had expressed was off-putting."

Halfway through the week, the counselors decided to rethink the program and gear it more towards team-building exercises. Of course, given the inherent violent nature of the books and movies, the odds were probably never in their favor to begin with.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/the-hunger-games-summer-camp-is-a-terrible-idea

ronpaulfollower999
08-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Team building exercises are so stupid.

fr33
08-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Camp is for sheltered city kids. Anyways I don't really see how this camp is any worse than the others. Compete in stuff and tell scary stories...

BamaAla
08-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Camp is for sheltered city kids. Anyways I don't really see how this camp is any worse than the others. Compete in stuff and tell scary stories...

lol. If "camp" is sleeping outside, fighting, and running through the woods, my entire childhood was camp.

Mani
08-06-2013, 11:36 PM
So Tag and dodgeball are banned, but Hunger Games camp....Hey that sounds neat!