PDA

View Full Version : Escambia County Sheriff’s deputies shot two dogs Sunday

jtap
08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Escambia County Sheriff’s deputies shot two dogs Sunday after entering a Flynn Drive home while searching for a suspect believed to be a frequent visitor there.

The incident began Sunday about 8:45 p.m. as two deputies were searching for a suspect wanted for aggravated assault with a firearm, according to a news release from the Sheriff’s Office.

Victims and witnesses told deputies that the suspect either lived at the Flynn Drive home or was frequently there.

At the home, one suspect had been arrested and deputies were checking around the house for a second suspect when they saw an open window, the release says. They noticed that someone had placed a bucket beneath it with a footprint on it indicating possible unlawful entry, according to the release.

After making repeated attempts to get someone to open the door, the deputies went in through the open window to locate the suspect and assure the safety of the occupants, the news release said.

Inside the house, two pit bulls came at the deputies aggressively. One of the dogs bit at a deputy’s leg so he shot it, the news release said. The other dog came at him, so he shot that dog as well.

Christina Moses and her boyfriend, Travis Nicholas, said they were sleeping when deputies entered the house through a window.

“When this happened, I got woke up by my fiancé who said the police are in our hallway. They climbed through my window and made their way in,” Nicholas said.

He said the deputies entered a bedroom and the gunshots began.

“Shots started ringing out from the bedroom,” he said.

Nicholas estimated the deputy fired 5-6 times.

Moses said she begged for the deputy to stop firing at their dogs, Rocky and Gracie.

Rocky was wounded in the leg and Gracie was so badly wounded that she had to be euthanized.

Moses said officers threw her on the ground during the incident. Neither Moses or Nicholas were arrested.

The Sheriff’s Office said the investigation into the aggravated assault with a firearm is ongoing and victims and witnesses are still being interviewed. The deputies are on administrative duty pending a review of the incident.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130806/NEWS01/130806012/2-Escambia-County-Sheriff-s-deputies-administrative-leave-after-dogs-shot?nclick_check=1

No warrant. Just barge into a house and be surprised when their dogs bite you and protect the private property you are trespassing on. Pathetic LEOs are pathetic. Nothing new to see here. Just documenting yet another case of the usual.

Five or six shots. Not overkill at all there.

qh4dotcom
08-06-2013, 09:00 PM
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130806/NEWS01/130806012/2-Escambia-County-Sheriff-s-deputies-administrative-leave-after-dogs-shot?nclick_check=1

No warrant. Just barge into a house and be surprised when their dogs bite you and protect the private property you are trespassing on. Pathetic LEOs are pathetic. Nothing new to see here. Just documenting yet another case of the usual.

Do you say anything when the US military bombs and kills an Afghani dog?

jtap
08-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Do you say anything when the US military bombs and kills an Afghani dog?

I don't like soldiers violating other people's rights either. What's your point?

kathy88
08-06-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't like soldiers violating other people's rights either. What's your point?there is no point. Dude comes in every thread about cops killing dogs and whines that we don't care as much about brown babies as dogs. Guess he got tired of posting articles about the website lawsuits and this is his new thang.

Origanalist
08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
The Sheriff’s Office said the investigation into the aggravated assault with a firearm is ongoing and victims and witnesses are still being interviewed. The deputies are on administrative duty pending a review of the incident.

So are they talking about the aggravated assault with a firearm committed by the deputies? No? I didn't think so.

Henry Rogue
08-06-2013, 10:56 PM
They noticed that someone had placed a bucket beneath it with a footprint on it indicating possible unlawful entry, according to the release.I think the cops placed the bucket there and it is one of their footprints. The story is kind of confusing.

Moses said she begged for the deputy to stop firing at their dogs, Rocky and Gracie.

Rocky was wounded in the leg and Gracie was so badly wounded that she had to be euthanized.

Moses said officers threw her on the ground during the incident.Bastards.

Cleaner44
08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I suppose that is a great way to get a few days of paid time off, shoot an innocent person's dog in their home that you were not invited into and then sit back on the beach and collect your check. Must be a sweet gig for a sociopath.

Henry Rogue
08-06-2013, 11:01 PM
So are they talking about the aggravated assault with a firearm committed by the deputies? No? I didn't think so. No kidding since the cops committed aggravated assault with a weapons.

fr33
08-06-2013, 11:13 PM
If they had no warrant then the homeowner could get rich off a lawsuit.

tod evans
08-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Keep pushin'..........

jtap
08-07-2013, 06:33 AM
So are they talking about the aggravated assault with a firearm committed by the deputies? No? I didn't think so.

yeah, no chance of that.

In the still shot of the video I like that they show the beware of dog sign. People might want to think twice about having those as it advertises where the cops can come for the live target practice they seem to love so much.

jtap
08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Officials mum on dog-shooting details
Many questions unanswered in case (http://www.pnj.com/article/20130808/NEWS11/308080017/Officials-mum-on-dog-shooting-details)

The Sheriff’s Office refused Wednesday to elaborate on what led deputies to climb into a window while looking for a suspect, enter the home, roust the residents from bed, handcuff them and shoot the two dogs.

The couple said six deputies entered their home, but it was only one officer who fired shots at their dogs.

How many came in the window is not clear.

The sheriff’s news release Tuesday said, “Deputies entered the house through the open widow in an effort to locate the suspect and to assure the safety of the occupants.”

Moses disputed that account, saying the window was not open because the air conditioning was on.

Deputies reported that they knocked on the door, but the couple said they didn’t hear anything until the deputies approached their door and the dogs began barking.

“I opened the door, and there were six police officers pointing guns at me and flashlights, saying ‘Show me your hands. Get on the ground,’ ” Moses said Tuesday.

She said she and her fiance had been dragged to the hallway and the dogs were in the bedroom when the single deputy returned to the bedroom and shot the dogs.

Deputies later took the dogs to a veterinary hospital. One was euthanized the next morning; one is recovering at home with a bullet still lodged under his lung.

A sheriff’s report states that there is no video evidence of the incident, and the Sheriff’s Office has declined to provide a reason.

A spokesperson for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said the agency is not investigating the case at this point.

Doesn't sound fishy at all. They were handcuffed and their dogs were shot for their own safety. Protocol was followed. Move along.

otherone
08-08-2013, 06:55 AM

Apparently not...one of the dogs survived. Hopefully they spend some time at the pistol range during their suspension...I'm sure there will be more dogs to be shot when they return.

jtap
08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/08/escambia_county_sheriff_david_morgan_his_bizarre_d efense_of_the_shooting.html

Is it a coincidence his officers also shot Middleton in his driveway for no reason. Thanks to the "concerned citizen" for calling the LEOs as well. http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/roy-middleton-opens-up-being-shot-escambia-county-deputies-35206.shtml

Stay out of Escambia County while this guy is sheriff.

belian78
08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
All I know is, if I'm sleeping and my dog jumps off the bed out of the room growling (cause if you're in bed she's right there with ya), I'm coming out of the room with my Mossberg loaded. If she's growling, it's someone we don't know.

Uriel999
08-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Used to live in escambia. I liked pcola but I guarantee if that happened in my home those intruders would be dead. Hearts and minds, two to the chest, one to the head. My first call would then be to a lawyer. Lol

AFPVet
08-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Used to live in escambia. I liked pcola but I guarantee if that happened in my home those intruders would be dead. Hearts and minds, two to the chest, one to the head. My first call would then be to a lawyer. Lol

... and you would be good to go in my state. That's why the cops in my state were so pissed off about our defensive law because they knew that they could be shot for trespassing without a warrant or exigent circumstances and there's not a damn thing they could do about it. That's how it should be... can't be barging into other people's homes and shooting their dogs.

jtap
09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Seems like these Escambia guys might get away with these stunts if they are anything like what they did here:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130904/NEWS01/130904007/Deputies-off-hook-shooting-lawsuit