PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Hero Refuses Medical Care, So Police Kill Him in His Nursing Home

Cleaner44
08-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Those that have been hired to serve and protect... apparently need better training.

WW2 Hero Refuses Medical Care, So Police Kill Him in His Nursing Home (http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/ww2-hero-refuses-medical-care-so-police-kill-him-in-his-nursing-home/)

When John Wrana was a young man, fit and strong and fighting in World War II with the U.S. Army Air Corps, did he ever think he'd end this way?

Just a few weeks shy of his 96th birthday, in need of a walker to move about, cops coming through the door of his retirement home with a Taser and a shotgun.

The old man, described by a family member as "wobbly" on his feet, had refused medical attention. The paramedics were called. They brought in the Park Forest police.

First they tased him, but that didn't work. So they fired a shotgun, hitting him in the stomach with a bean-bag round. Wrana was struck with such force that he bled to death internally, according to the Cook County medical examiner.

"The Japanese military couldn't get him at the age he was touchable, in a uniform in the war. It took 70 years later for the Park Forest police to do the job," Wrana's family attorney, Nicholas Grapsas, a former prosecutor, said in an interview with me Thursday...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-03/news/ct-met-kass-0802-20130803_1_butcher-type-kitchen-knife-park-forest-police-taser

heavenlyboy34
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Will the family ever get an explanation?
"I want answers," she said. "I want someone held accountable."

Answers: Circular force continuum. Policy was followed. Now shut up and move along, mundane.

BuddyRey
08-04-2013, 11:42 AM
So they can call the cops on you just for refusing medical treatment now? I thought that was every patient's right.

HOLLYWOOD
08-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Well, for 2012, the odds increased from 8 - 1... to 10 - 1... that you are more likely to be killed by US police than a terrorist. It appears 2013 will be another record breaker.

I see the 4th branch of the government, corporate media, is all over this murder of a veteran by police. :rolleyes:

pcosmar
08-04-2013, 12:59 PM
So they can call the cops on you just for refusing medical treatment now? I thought that was every patient's right.

There you go again,,, thinking you have rights. :(

WM_in_MO
08-04-2013, 01:21 PM

No, you live and you die when the state is damn well ready for it.

Now MOVE ALONG.

ObiRandKenobi
08-04-2013, 01:27 PM
this keeps up i'm going to have to write-in Adam Kokesh.

heavenlyboy34
08-04-2013, 01:49 PM
There you go again,,, thinking you have rights. :(
This^^ That ship has indeed sailed from Amerika.

tod evans
08-04-2013, 01:54 PM
What gives with goons shooting beanbags at nursing home residents?

How can anyone look in the mirror after such behavior?

Fucking sociopaths!

heavenlyboy34
08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
What gives with goons shooting beanbags at nursing home residents?

How can anyone look in the mirror after such behavior?

Fucking sociopaths!
Policy was followed. Don't like it? Well, fuck you. -Officer Friendly

bolil
08-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Tick tock, squeelers, tick fucking tock. Keep in mind there are more of us than there are of you and it is our people who comprise the USMC.

Fucking PIGS. Any pigs still here? Well, cmon with the apologies for your scum bag brothers.

Christian Liberty
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I object to the OP title, but I completely agree that this was awful.

bolil
08-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Bonus march ad naseum.

MelissaWV
08-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Tick tock, squeelers, tick fucking tock. Keep in mind there are more of us than there are of you and it is our people who comprise the USMC.

Fucking PIGS. Any pigs still here? Well, cmon with the apologies for your scum bag brothers.

Yes, we do have some police and military and ex-police and ex-military on the forums.

There have been forumgoers who weren't police or military that have done some really godawful things. I would hope that they'd be seen as individuals, and that I wouldn't be judged for being on the forums with spousal abusers, child molesters, incestuous monsters, killers, etc..

DamianTV
08-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Unaccountable Authority respects NO Rights.

satchelmcqueen
08-04-2013, 04:50 PM
and my same answer as to most cop related threads......PUSSY COPS!!!!

FrankRep
08-04-2013, 05:20 PM
More to the story...

Questions in police killing of 95-year-old vet (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-02/news/chi-questions-in-police-killing-of-95yearold-vet-20130802_1_police-killing-2-foot-metal-shoehorn-95-year-old-man)

Chicago Tribune
August 02, 2013

Police say they tased John Wrana and fired beanbag rounds at him at a retirement home last Friday after he threatened staff and officers with a metal cane and 2-foot metal shoehorn, then grabbed a 12-inch knife. Wrana died hours later of internal bleeding caused by the shots.

aGameOfThrones
08-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Take our help or Die!

heavenlyboy34
08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
More to the story...

Questions in police killing of 95-year-old vet (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-02/news/chi-questions-in-police-killing-of-95yearold-vet-20130802_1_police-killing-2-foot-metal-shoehorn-95-year-old-man)

Chicago Tribune
August 02, 2013

Police say they tased John Wrana and fired beanbag rounds at him at a retirement home last Friday after he threatened staff and officers with a metal cane and 2-foot metal shoehorn, then grabbed a 12-inch knife. Wrana died hours later of internal bleeding caused by the shots.
From your link:

But a family attorney said relatives never saw a knife in his room and that staff told them Wrana didn't have such a knife. Nicholas Grapsas also said he was told police used a riot shield to come through the door before shooting the beanbag rounds as Wrana sat in a chair.
"I want answers," said Sharon Mangerson, 74, Wrana's stepdaughter. "I want someone held accountable."
Read more in John Kass' column. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0802-20130803,0,6512125.column)

Scrapmo
08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
More to the story...

Chicago Tribune
August 02, 2013

Will the officers get counseling for thier trauma and mental anguish over this ordeal? They should charge the family for those services.

heavenlyboy34
08-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Will the officers get counseling for thier trauma and mental anguish over this ordeal? They should charge the family for those services.
Well, I would hope not because eye-witness testimony tells us the cops lied. (see post 19 above)

Cutlerzzz
08-04-2013, 06:23 PM

I think ordinary people would need lots of it after shooting a 96 year old. I'm not sure about these guys.

Matthew5
08-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Threat neutralized, order restored, peace increased, officer safety ensured...

Guys, I'm sure everyone is really sad about this situation and that it had to come to this. Let's leave this to the professionals.

It counts if they're really sad about it, right?

Origanalist
08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Has anybody ever seen a two foot metal shoehorn?

MelissaWV
08-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Or come up with an explanation as to how a man who normally uses a walker is threatening employees with a huge cooking knife and a shoehorn in anything approaching an effective manner? Seriously, where would they think he got the knife at all? Most "homes" do not have huge cooking knives. The food arrives largely in canned or frozen form.

Origanalist
08-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Or come up with an explanation as to how a man who normally uses a walker is threatening employees with a huge cooking knife and a shoehorn in anything approaching an effective manner? Seriously, where would they think he got the knife at all? Most "homes" do not have huge cooking knives. The food arrives largely in canned or frozen form.

No kidding, since when are 12 inch knives available to the "guests"?. Not that I would ever doubt anything said by law enforcement. Ever.

AFPVet
08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
If they were the old guard peace officers, they would've thanked the vet for his service, told him that it's his right to refuse medical, and called it out 65—done with service call.

aGameOfThrones
08-04-2013, 09:16 PM
During times when they shoot people in wheelchairs, having a walking stick becomes a revolutionary act.

qh4dotcom
08-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Why is this man being called a hero just because he fought in WW2?

and yes, justice needs to be served for his death.

Matthew5
08-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Because he stopped Hitler from taking over America...obviously.

Cutlerzzz
08-04-2013, 10:31 PM

It's Ron Paul Forums. If a Veteran is killed by the police or speaks out against the government, he's a hero who served his country proudly. If he does anything else, he's a mercenary that collected a government welfare check for years.

jmdrake
08-04-2013, 10:35 PM

Of course. The same people who have sighted this guy.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/files/2013/07/Smalfut.jpg

Next time the person killed will be threatening them with a pot of gold attached to a magic rainbow.

PaulConventionWV
08-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Those that have been hired to serve and protect... apparently need better training.

WW2 Hero Refuses Medical Care, So Police Kill Him in His Nursing Home (http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/ww2-hero-refuses-medical-care-so-police-kill-him-in-his-nursing-home/)

Frankly, I am offended that training could even begin to solve the problem that persists here, and it is not an isolated incident. This crime can only be committed by vicious psychopaths who literally don't give a shit about how much of a pussy they are inside or how rotten they've become morally as long as they have the authority of the state and all its immunities and protections.

I can't even wrap my head around what kind of sicko goes to a nursing home and shoots a 96 year old with a bean bag round and tazers him for not wanting treatment. Did I miss something? Is it a crime punishable by death on the spot by judge, jury, and executioner to refuse treatment? Who the fuck isn't aware of what scum they are after doing something like this? If I ever read their obituaries, I would make a special trip to piss on the graves of people like this.

This isn't a lack of training. This is a matter of the worst kind of criminals now becoming the good guys. We've flipped morality and logic on its head at the same time. This country is not only sick, it's dead to me. I am filled with such wrath and sadness at all these screwed up stories that come out, and all I can do is vent on a message board. The worst insults wouldn't do justice to how I feel about these police officers and others like them. All I can say is, it's hard not to hate every single police officer that ever lived when you hear of shit like this because you know it's all sanctioned and protected police activity. Who involves themselves in such an organization as this without knowing the kind of injustice they're perpetrating just by being part of the organization that allows this shit to happen consequence-free. I don't even believe in hell, but if I did, it wouldn't be hot enough for these cockroaches.

/rant

Mani
08-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Frankly, I am offended that training could even begin to solve the problem that persists here, and it is not an isolated incident. This crime can only be committed by vicious psychopaths who literally don't give a shit about how much of a pussy they are inside or how rotten they've become morally as long as they have the authority of the state and all its immunities and protections.

I can't even wrap my head around what kind of sicko goes to a nursing home and shoots a 96 year old with a bean bag round and tazers him for not wanting treatment. Did I miss something? Is it a crime punishable by death on the spot by judge, jury, and executioner to refuse treatment? Who the fuck isn't aware of what scum they are after doing something like this? If I ever read their obituaries, I would make a special trip to piss on the graves of people like this.

This isn't a lack of training. This is a matter of the worst kind of criminals now becoming the good guys. We've flipped morality and logic on its head at the same time. This country is not only sick, it's dead to me. I am filled with such wrath and sadness at all these screwed up stories that come out, and all I can do is vent on a message board. The worst insults wouldn't do justice to how I feel about these police officers and others like them. All I can say is, it's hard not to hate every single police officer that ever lived when you hear of shit like this because you know it's all sanctioned and protected police activity. Who involves themselves in such an organization as this without knowing the kind of injustice they're perpetrating just by being part of the organization that allows this shit to happen consequence-free. I don't even believe in hell, but if I did, it wouldn't be hot enough for these cockroaches.

/rant

This is not directed at Paul, but anyone who reads the article in full, even the nursing home employees don't know what the fuck the cops are talking about regarding a knife. Really stupid on the cops part to making up "12 inch butcher knife"...Yup, like the nursing home has those lying around.... The cops weren't sure what EXCUSE to make for shooting this guy. They can't use, "COKED out of his mind" or "carrying a gun" or other shit...so someone just said, "Hey how about Butcher knife??? Ya! that'll look great in the police report!!"

The thing you MISSED, is the 96 year old man, was not acting like a MUNDANE. He was probably rude and shouted back. You forgot that LED's don't allow ANYONE to talk back to them...Not even 96 year old war veterans, sitting in their chair in a nursing home.

Why do you think they made sure all staff HAD TO LEAVE, they can't have anyone witness the HORROR of 7 officers killing a 96 year old man who needs a walker.

It doesn't matter who it is...IF YOU TALK BACK...Your gonna get FUCKED UP.

Philhelm
08-05-2013, 12:42 AM

Because, assuming he was in combat, his opponents likely weren't men in their nineties that needed a walker to move about. It's relative.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Thank god those brave officers were unhurt.

Lucille
04-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Cop Charged in Death of 95-Year-Old Nursing Home Resident
http://reason.com/blog/2014/04/02/cop-charged-in-95-year-old-vets-death

Prosecutors said Taylor fired the beanbag rounds from somewhere between six and eight feet away, when the proper distance is 15 feet away at minimum. He also refused to allow nursing home staff to help, according to Wrana's family's attorney.

"Given the other viable options to resolve the matter and the number of shots fired at this senior citizen at close range in rapid succession, we believe this officer’s conduct to be reckless," Cook County State Attorney Anita Alvarez said in a statement.

Taylor was charged this morning with one count of reckless conduct, a Class 4 felony which would yield a maximum of three years in prison.

Reckless conduct? GMAFB. If this were a mundane, they would have been charged with murder, and any number of other charges as is SOP.

phill4paul
04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Cop Charged in Death of 95-Year-Old Nursing Home Resident
http://reason.com/blog/2014/04/02/cop-charged-in-95-year-old-vets-death

Reckless conduct? GMAFB. If this were a mundane, they would have been charged with murder, and any number of other charges as is SOP.

Reckless conduct does not apply. A man died. No where under reckless conduct is death a determining factor.

Sec. 12-5. Reckless conduct.
(a) A person commits reckless conduct when he or she, by any means lawful or unlawful, recklessly performs an act or acts that:
(1) cause bodily harm to or endanger the safety of

another person; or
(2) cause great bodily harm or permanent disability

or disfigurement to another person.
(b) Sentence.
Reckless conduct under subdivision (a)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor. Reckless conduct under subdivision (a)(2) is a Class 4 felony.
(Source: P.A. 96-1551, eff. 7-1-11.)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K12-5

Lucille
06-20-2014, 04:49 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/20/cop-fatally-shot-wwii-vet-with-beanbag-r

The family of a 95-year-old World War II veteran is suing six police officers from Park Forest, Illinois, including the one who fatally shot John Wrana with a 195 mile an hour bean bag round fired from close range.

The Chicago Sun Times explains what happened:
[...]
Taylor, in fact, is facing felony misconduct charges (http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/20/cop-fatally-shot-wwii-vet-with-beanbag-r), although the Wrana family’s lawsuit includes five other cops, including the cop who ordered the beanbag round be fired and the police chief for not adequately training officers.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/28199654-418/family-of-wwii-vet-killed-by-beanbag-gun-files-suit.html#.U6S56oNIdms

Relatives of John Wrana filed the $5 million lawsuit against six police officers and the Village of Park Forest in federal court Friday, alleging the officers should have known Wrana would be seriously injured or killed by the 190 mph beanbag round, which was fired at close range during a stand off at an assisted-living center.

Wrana’s death last year prompted widespread outrage which eventually in April led to criminal charges of felony misconduct being filed in Cook County Circuit Court against the officer who pulled the trigger, Craig Taylor, 43.

But the federal lawsuit filed Friday also blames five other officers, including Commander Michael Baugh, who allegedly ordered the beanbag round be fired from a shotgun in an attempt to subdue Wrana, and Chief Clifford Butz, who’s accused of failing to properly train his men.

It says Park Forest’s use of force policy directly led to the tragedy.
[...]
Attorney Jim Sotos, who is representing Park Forest and all six officers, accused Wrana’s family and the media of “Monday morning quarterbacking” the decisions made by officers.

The “frivolous” lawsuit does not acknowledge that Wrana was armed with a foot-long knife or “the danger the officers were placed in,” he said.

Calling Wrana’s death an “undeniable tragedy,” he said the officers could not have waited out Wrana because he had threatened to come out of his room an throw a knife at them.

Once Wrana came towards them with the blade, the officers were legally justified in using lethal force, Sotos said, suggesting Wrana might have lived if his family had allowed him to undergo surgery after the incident.

Nicholas Grapsas, who brought the lawsuit on behalf of Wrana’s stepdaughter, Sharon Mangerson, and other relatives, said Mangerson “wants accountability” and policies put in place to prevent future tragedies.

“This was ‘Keystone Cops’ with dangerous toys,” he said.

ILUVRP
06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
since 911 everyone but a cop is a terrorist .

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Where the hell is jmdrake these days?

Henry Rogue
06-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Relatives of John Wrana filed the $5 million lawsuit against six police officers and the Village of Park Forest in federal court Friday,*
It took six of those cowardly terrorist to bring down a 95 year old man. I hope they bankrupt that copsucking town.