PDA

View Full Version : Agencies clamor for NSA spy data

green73
08-04-2013, 08:00 AM
This is a typical NYT article trying to spin the NSA as noble bastion of privacy, and then laying out the case for how helpful it could be in the State's numerous causes. Of note, they already share their tools/data with other agencies. Will the sharing expand or contract?

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency’s dominant role as the nation’s spy warehouse has spurred frequent tensions and turf fights with other federal intelligence agencies that want to use its surveillance tools for their own investigations, officials say.

Agencies working to curb drug trafficking, cyberattacks, money laundering, counterfeiting and even copyright infringement complain that their attempts to exploit the security agency’s vast resources have often been turned down because their own investigations are not considered a high enough priority, current and former government officials say.

Intelligence officials say they have been careful to limit the use of the security agency’s troves of data and eavesdropping spyware for fear they could be misused in ways that violate Americans’ privacy rights.

The recent disclosures of agency activities by its former contractor Edward J. Snowden have led to widespread criticism that its surveillance operations go too far and have prompted lawmakers in Washington to talk of reining them in. But out of public view, the intelligence community has been agitated in recent years for the opposite reason: frustrated officials outside the security agency say the spy tools are not used widely enough.

“It’s a very common complaint about N.S.A.,” said Timothy H. Edgar, a former senior intelligence official at the White House and at the office of the director of national intelligence. “They collect all this information, but it’s difficult for the other agencies to get access to what they want.”

“The other agencies feel they should be bigger players,” said Mr. Edgar, who heard many of the disputes before leaving government this year to become a visiting fellow at Brown University. “They view the N.S.A. — incorrectly, I think — as this big pot of data that they could go get if they were just able to pry it out of them.”

Smaller intelligence units within the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Secret Service, the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security have sometimes been given access to the security agency’s surveillance tools for particular cases, intelligence officials say.

But more often, their requests have been rejected because the links to terrorism or foreign intelligence, usually required by law or policy, are considered tenuous. Officials at some agencies see another motive — protecting the security agency’s turf — and have grown resentful over what they see as a second-tier status that has undermined their own investigations into security matters.

At the drug agency, for example, officials complained that they were blocked from using the security agency’s surveillance tools for several drug-trafficking cases in Latin America, which they said might be connected to financing terrorist groups in the Middle East and elsewhere.

At the Homeland Security Department, officials have repeatedly sought to use the security agency’s Internet and telephone databases and other resources to trace cyberattacks on American targets that are believed to have stemmed from China, Russia and Eastern Europe, according to officials. They have often been rebuffed.

Officials at the other agencies, speaking only on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the tensions, say the National Security Agency’s reluctance to allow access to data has been particularly frustrating because of post-Sept. 11 measures that were intended to encourage information-sharing among federal agencies.

In fact, a change made in 2008 in the executive order governing intelligence was intended to make it easier for the security agency to share surveillance information with other agencies if it was considered “relevant” to their own investigations. It has often been left to the national intelligence director’s office to referee the frequent disputes over how and when the security agency’s spy tools can be used. The director’s office declined to comment for this article.

Typically, the agencies request that the N.S.A. target individuals or groups for surveillance, search its databases for information about them, or share raw intelligence, rather than edited summaries, with them. If those under scrutiny are Americans, approval from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court is required.

cont.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/us/other-agencies-clamor-for-data-nsa-compiles.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&hp

Anti Federalist
08-04-2013, 09:00 AM
"Keep your shirt on fellas. Once we get Bluffdale up and running, you'll all have access to data on the Mundanes you could have only dreamed about 20 years ago" - NSA

Lucille
08-04-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2VKtQ353g

"This is exactly a modern redux of Solzhenitsyn's...experience at the hands interrogators where he was made to sign his life away on the dotted line to admit to crimes which the state had assembled against him based on their observation of his life.
[...]
You have a clear benchmark to comply with. If you step out of that circle, you are at the discretion of some bureaucrat, or administrator, or secret court that could pull you off the streets.
[...]
[E]very aspect of your life is recorded, and then you're going to be confronted eventually-as need presents itself-with information derived from the domestic surveillance directorate. You're going to be absolutely confronted with this information it's going to be put in front of you, 'Sign on the dotted line, you're a zek, that's all you are, you're thinking for yourself, we don't want you to be doing that.'"

Anti Federalist
08-04-2013, 10:36 AM
You have a clear benchmark to comply with. If you step out of that circle, you are at the discretion of some bureaucrat, or administrator, or secret court that could pull you off the streets.

Life in AmeriKa...

Lucille
08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?422999-Letter-From-Edward-Snowden%92s-Father-And-His-Lawyer-Bruce-Fein-To-President-Obama

Writing in Brinegar v. United States, Justice Jackson elaborated:

The Fourth Amendment states: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

These, I protest, are not mere second-class rights but belong in the catalog of indispensable freedoms. Among deprivations of rights, none is so effective in cowing a population , crushing the spirit of the individual and putting terror in every heart. Uncontrolled search and seizure is one of the first and most effective weapons in the arsenal of every arbitrary government. And one need only briefly to have dwelt and worked among a people possessed of many admirable qualities but deprived of these rights to know that the human personality deteriorates and dignity and self-reliance disappear where homes, persons and possessions are subject at any hour to unheralded search and seizure by the police.

I know it's changing me. I feel uneasy all the time now, knowing I am being monitored and watched 24/7.

"It’s the worst hell. The goddamnedest hell. They’ve bugged everything."
--Ernest Hemingway (http://www.jrdeputyaccountant.com/2011/07/tlp-even-if-you-are-paranoid-they-could.html)

In the years since, I have tried to reconcile Ernest’s fear of the F.B.I., which I regretfully misjudged, with the reality of the F.B.I. file. I now believe he truly sensed the surveillance, and that it substantially contributed to his anguish and his suicide.

How are we supposed to live like this? And why are millions of us not camped out on capitol hill demanding an end to their tech gulag, and refusing to leave until it stops?

MRK
08-04-2013, 01:13 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?422999-Letter-From-Edward-Snowden%92s-Father-And-His-Lawyer-Bruce-Fein-To-President-Obama

I know it's changing me. I feel uneasy all the time now, knowing I am being monitored and watched 24/7.

"It’s the worst hell. The goddamnedest hell. They’ve bugged everything."
--Ernest Hemingway (http://www.jrdeputyaccountant.com/2011/07/tlp-even-if-you-are-paranoid-they-could.html)

How are we supposed to live like this? And why are millions of us not camped out on capitol hill demanding an end to their tech gulag, and refusing to leave until it stops?

I'm guilty of being very troubled by this yet not doing extensive advocacy work to prevent it.

I feel that I've been working long enough (6+ years) to accept that people dont care and wont care until there are metaphorical planes flying over their heads (metaphor based on what some Germans told me once about how they were awoken to the failed Third Reich).

These past few months I've been scoping some foreign jurisdictions and getting my ducks and papers in order before my next and hopefully final departure for a long time. One important thing I've realized is that when its time to bolt, you need to already be gone. You need all kinds of official apostilled and certified papers to acquire new citizenships or to take your proof of degrees with you. Birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of good behavior, etc. All need a certified copy sent from the state, then they need to get apostilled by another agency in the state. Not to mention the necessity of a federal passport to even leave the borders.

Anyway, there are plenty of countries who, while possibly not outside the reach of the NSA's spy network, do not have the jurisdictional authority or awareness to abuse the information gathered from it.

In the US, It's only a matter of time before any misstep is used against you by every alphabet soup agency out there.

I am tired of giving money to these criminals and getting treated like a criminal in return. I have decided to defund their crimes.