PDA

View Full Version : The Hill: 10 Republicans Who Could Be Speaker

TaftFan
08-02-2013, 10:38 PM
http://blogs.rollcall.com/goppers/10-gop-members-who-could-one-day-be-speaker/

My pick of those on the list:

Raúl R. Labrador of Idaho

Club for Growth President Chris Chocola recently said that if his group does its job, it will get enough of its endorsed candidates into Congress that “they’ll elect one of their own for leadership.” If that ever happens, they could end up electing Raúl R. Labrador.

The Idaho Republican is part of the 2010 tea party wave that came to Washington to cut spending and shrink government, and to do so by whatever means necessary, earning the group the nickname the “Hell No Caucus.”

Peers see Labrador as a leader who’s unflappable, smart and well-spoken.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Looking at that list the only one who isn't atrocious is Labrador. I quite like him. Though fleeting as it is, it would be nice nonetheless.

FrankRep
08-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Looking at that list the only one who isn't atrocious is Labrador. I quite like him. Though fleeting as it is, it would be nice nonetheless.

Better than nothing I guess.

Name: Raúl Labrador (http://www.thenewamerican.com/freedomindex/profile.php?id=L000573)
Congress: Idaho, District: 1, Republican
Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 87%

Really bad votes:

Supported: H.R. 5949: FISA Amendments Act Reauthorization Act of 2012
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll569.xml

Supported: H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA)
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll192.xml

TaftFan
08-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Better than nothing I guess.

Name: Raúl Labrador (http://www.thenewamerican.com/freedomindex/profile.php?id=L000573)
Congress: Idaho, District: 1, Republican
Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 87%

Really bad votes:

Supported: H.R. 5949: FISA Amendments Act Reauthorization Act of 2012
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll569.xml

Supported: H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA)
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll192.xml

I can give him a pass on CISPA in 2012 based on reading his explanation.. In 2013 he voted against it. He genuinely cares about civil liberties and Justin Amash voted for him to be Speaker.

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA)

Friday May 04, 2012
My Friends:

Thank you for your comments about the cyber-security legislation that recently passed the U.S. House of Representatives. I appreciate your thoughts and concerns on this issue.

For years, foreign nations as well as our economic rivals have targeted the computer systems of both private businesses and our military forces in an attempt to steal intellectual property or attack our nation. In order to enable our military and businesses to adapt to and defend against these cyber attacks, Representatives Mike Rogers and Dutch Ruppersberger introduced H.R. 3523, the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA).

When I was elected to Congress, I swore to uphold the Constitution and protect this great nation from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. But I have always been skeptical of legislation that sacrifices our liberty to achieve security. For instance, one of the first votes I cast was to oppose the reauthorization of the USA Patriot Act, which I continue to believe chips away at the Constitution.

More recently, during the debate of the NDAA I was concerned that the bill did not adequately restrain the power of the President to indefinitely detain Americans and voted against that bill as well. If you look at my record you will see that, from fiscal issues to a growing federal bureaucracy, I have placed freedom and liberty at the forefront of my decisions.

With CISPA, I was worried that once again we were drafting legislation that would compromise our freedom for a promise of security. That is why I spent a lot of time reading the bill, studying the issues raised by this legislation and being briefed on the security concerns that our nation was facing. I have seen that the cyber-security threats are real.

However, I wanted to avoid the knee-jerk reaction to go beyond simply protecting our nation from these threats. Some in Congress wanted to create a whole new system of regulating business use of cyberspace and accumulate more power for government over the internet. My biggest concern was that if we did not protect our nation from a cyber-security attack, we would have a push in Congress for the creation of a new federal bureaucracy that would control and regulate internet activity.

Rather than creating a new federal bureaucracy, CISPA empowers government agencies and the private sector to more effectively protect their computer networks and intellectual property. The bill simply allows the government to share malicious source code with companies and individuals in America. In addition, the bill allows private entities to voluntarily share cyber threat information with the government. CISPA harnesses private sector drive and innovation to protect our intellectual property and sensitive information without increasing the size and scope of government.

When CISPA was originally drafted, it placed a great emphasis on security, but I and many others felt that it lacked privacy and civil liberties protections. Chairman Rogers took many of these concerns into account and modified the text of the bill to clarify that it did not grant the government new powers of censorship, monitoring, or the ability to take down controversial websites.

Even after these changes had been made, I was concerned that loopholes remained. I understand that the cyber threats facing our country are legitimate and dangerous threats to our nation's sovereignty. In an attempt to keep both our nation and our civil liberties secure, I and other Members of Congress introduced several amendments to CISPA to improve it further. Congressman Justin Amash and I introduced an amendment to prevent the government from using CISPA to receive library records, gun records and other information that it is currently prohibited from acquiring without a warrant. This amendment unanimously passed.

I supported five other successful amendments that each strengthened the privacy and civil liberties protections in CISPA: one that clarified that CISPA would not weaken public access to information under the Freedom of Information Act, one to more adequately define what "cyber-security threats" are covered in the bill, one to more strictly limit the purposes for which the government could use the information gathered under CISPA, one to limit the type of data that could be obtained and shared and one to set the bill's lifespan to a five year period.

Legislation that deals with national security must balance the twin Constitutional requirements to keep our nation sovereign and secure along with protecting privacy and civil liberties. Neither Constitutional goal is more important than the other. For this reason, once the amending process had produced a constitutionally sound bill that I believed secured the nation and protected our civil liberties, I voted in favor of CISPA. As always, I remain dedicated to protecting the civil liberties of all Americans.

Sola_Fide
08-03-2013, 12:25 AM
How about Raul for VP?

TaftFan
08-03-2013, 12:29 AM
How about Raul for VP?

I'd be in favor of that. I would be more in favor of it if he ran for Gov in 2014. Leaving Cruz and Lee in the Senate would be best.

Sola_Fide
08-03-2013, 12:36 AM
I'd be in favor of that. I would be more in favor of it if he ran for Gov in 2014. Leaving Cruz and Lee in the Senate would be best.

Cruz is a neocon who wants to "save" social security and Lee has the personality of wet cardboard.

TaftFan
08-03-2013, 12:41 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/354346/house-conservatives-say-amash-amendment-has-fighting-chance-betsy-woodruff

At a panel of conservative members held in conjunction with the Heritage Foundation today, Representative Raul Labrador told reporters that there’s a bipartisan coalition of sorts that’s come together around issues like this one. He added that he jokingly calls it the “Wingnut Coalition,” and that Amash is the “chief wingnut.”

“I think there’s a lot of good work being done on both sides of the aisle,” he continued.

After the panel, I asked him more about the coalition.

“You have a lot of conservatives in the House that came here to get things done,” he said. “We tend to be a little bit more libertarian-minded, we understand that civil liberties are important issues.”

He said he talks with Democratic representatives Jared Polis (Colo.) and Peter Welch (Vt.), and that he became close friends with Dennis Kucinich while he was in the House.

“I actually think the libertarian streak is the wave of the future of the Republican party,” he added.

eduardo89
08-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Cruz is a neocon who wants to "save" social security and Lee has the personality of wet cardboard.

Ron wanted to do the same...Cruz and Ron have essentially the same position on SS. Fix it for seniors and those close to retirement, give younger people the ability to opt out.

Bastiat's The Law
08-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Labrador would be a huge step in the right direction.

Sola_Fide
08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Ron wanted to do the same...Cruz and Ron have essentially the same position on SS. Fix it for seniors and those close to retirement, give younger people the ability to opt out.

Haha...wow. Didn't you watch your neocon idol get booed at the recent YAL conference? I genuinely think Rand felt sorry for him up there. Its around the 43 minute mark.

compromise
08-03-2013, 02:05 AM
I'd be happy with Labrador, Price or Jim Jordan (not listed on the link, but very friendly with Amash and Massie).

The rest are establishment Republicans, with a few RINOs too.

I'd like to see Amash in leadership too. Maybe a whip or a major committee chair.