PDA

View Full Version : MI - State Court rules in favor of Nut Free School ban.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
So, what is going to happen to this kid once he moves on from here?

Is he going to be surrounded by a phalanx of government shooters who will summarily execute anybody who gets within 1000 yards with a packet of peanuts?

And WTF is going on with "deadly nut allergies".

When I was a kid, other kids didn't fall over dead from being near peanuts.

Article comments are a disappointing hot mess of wailing emotionalism. :rolleyes:

'Nut-free' elementary school decision upheld by Michigan Court of Appeals

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/07/nut-free_elementary_school_dec.html#incart_river_defau lt

LANSING -- A Michigan Court of Appeals panel upheld a decision Tuesday dismissing a lawsuit over a Romeo-area elementary school's policy creating a nut-free school.

The unpublished opinion addresses a lawsuit filed by the parent of a student at Hevel Elementary School challenging the decision of Romeo Community Schools to make the elementary school a nut-free zone because of a student with life-threatening nut allergies.

The ban prohibited all peanuts and tree nuts from the building, and school officials periodically searched lunch boxes and backpacks, according to the opinion. The allergic student had experienced reactions after school officials had implemented partial bans, leading the student's doctor to recommend the entire school be made nut-free.

Kathleen Liebau, the mother of another student at the school, filed suit against the school district, the school's principal and nurse as well as several unknown individuals who approved the individual education plan that implemented the ban. Liebau had sent a "notice" to the school district indicating she would not honor the ban, according to the decision, which read as follows:

"Due to [the] conflicting needs of my own child, I will not be cooperating nor participating in the School’s 504 plan to another student. My child and I are not subject to, nor bound by, the provisions of the Rehabilitation Act requiring the School to provide an accommodation to another student and we decline to accept such obligations.

"To meet my child’s needs, I will provide my child with the proper nutrition in her school lunch as I, in my sole discretion, deem appropriate. The School is not permitted to take any disciplinary action - including, but not limited to, taking away her food or removing her to a different location. Any such action against my child will be discriminatory, harassment and an act of retaliation in violation of her rights under the Rehabilitation Act and infringes on our individual rights, including our right against despotic control and our right to freedom of choice," the decision quotes Liebau as saying.

The district had argued that federal civil rights law required it to implement the ban to ensure the allergic student was able to attend school and receive an education. Liebau's suit, filed without an attorney, alleged the ban violated her daughter's civil rights and due process guarantee as well as a state statute guaranteeing parents the right to be involved in education.

"Plaintiff simply has not shown that defendants’ implementation of the school-wide ban was arbitrary and therefore irrational. Accordingly, the trial court did not err by ruling that the Equal Protection Clause does not provide a basis for legal relief and, therefore, that any amendment to allege such a claim would be futile," the court stated in the opinion.

The appeals court both affirmed the motion for summary disposition from the trial court and denied a motion by Liebau to file an amended complaint making additional allegations against the district's superintendent, saying the claims lacked any factual or legal support.

Dr.3D
08-01-2013, 02:04 PM
I've heard a theory that some vaccinations had peanut oil in them and while the vaccination worked for what it was intended for, it also worked to make the person allergic to peanuts.

jkob
08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I feel bad for the people with these peanut allergies, I can't see any way they can live a normal life. It is almost inevitable that they'll come into contact with peanuts at some point.

tod evans
08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
How about getting the nuts out of office, let the parents care for their own kids..

Christian Liberty
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
On the one hand, searching lunchbags is absolutely disgusting, on the other hand...

Why do you need to bring peanuts into the school when it will obviously hurt another student?

angelatc
08-01-2013, 02:21 PM
On the one hand, searching lunchbags is absolutely disgusting, on the other hand...

Why do you need to bring peanuts into the school when it will obviously hurt another student?
Need is a liberal word. Why do people with allergies feel the need to make the rest of the world subject to their demands?

Christian Liberty
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Need is a liberal word. Why do people with allergies feel the need to make the rest of the world subject to their demands?

Well, in most cases, yes. But to endanger someone's life because you want to eat peanuts? Come on.

I mean, I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is, but just bringing in peanuts knowing it could lead to the kids death? That's just evil.

I have no doubt free market education could find the best way to handle crap like this, much like anyone else.

GunnyFreedom
08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
So wait, the only determining factor in civil rights is whether a measure is arbitrary? So rounding up the Japanese in WW2 wasn't a violation of civil rights, because it wasn't arbitrary? Chattel slavery wasn't a violation of civil rights, because it wasn't arbitrary? This dam country gets more absurd by the minute.

angelatc
08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I've heard a theory that some vaccinations had peanut oil in them and while the vaccination worked for what it was intended for, it also worked to make the person allergic to peanuts.

I heard it's because we now live in such sterile environments that our immune systems aren't exposed to enough allergens. When I was a kid, nobody was allergic to anything. Now kids are allergic to dogs, cats, grass, dust, smoke, etc, etc.

tod evans
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Well, in most cases, yes. But to endanger someone's life because you want to eat peanuts? Come on.

I mean, I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is, but just bringing in peanuts knowing it could lead to the kids death? That's just evil.

I have no doubt free market education could find the best way to handle crap like this, much like anyone else.

Stop right there bucko!

What about the grocery stores?

Church socials?

Ball games?

Life in general!

The kid has an allergy, it is up to that kid to not consume the allergen.

This idea that it's the communities problem to "protect" every Tom/Dick-n-Harry from their own stupidity is a large part of why we are subject to so damn many laws and edicts.

Please stop advocating for government to do anything! Especially protecting the children....FFS!

angelatc
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I have no doubt that people with severe allergies should stay the hell home. I have enough trouble trying to manage my own problems. As it stands, Micigan has school choice, so I'd pull my kid out of that school and put him into another one, if for no other reason than to cut off funding. If all the other parents did this....well, if all the other parents did this it would soon be illegal to have peanuts in any school.

Origanalist
08-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Stop right there bucko!

Church socials?

Ball games?

Life in general!

This idea that it's the communities problem to "protect" every Tom/Dick-n-Harry from their own stupidity is a large part of why we are subject to so damn many laws and edicts.

Please stop advocating for government to do anything! Especially protecting the children....FFS!

lol' you beat me to it Tod.

Origanalist
08-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I have no doubt that people with severe allergies should stay the hell home. I have enough trouble trying to manage my own problems. As it stands, Micigan has school choice, so I'd pull my kid out of that school and put him into another one, if for no other reason than to cut off funding. If all the other parents did this....well, if all the other parents did this it would soon be illegal to have peanuts in any school.

Yep, they would just follow. After all, it's only fair......

GunnyFreedom
08-01-2013, 02:41 PM

http://images1.mtv.com/uri/mgid:uma:content:mtv.com:1527912?width=281&height=211

We've had reports of someone in possession of peanuts in here.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2013, 03:50 PM

Because it's ridiculous on the face of it.

If this kid's allergies are so severe that just being in the room with nuts is enough to kill him, then the parents are the ones being irresponsible and that child, sadly, must be restricted to life in a sterile environment.

Can't have that though, everyone has a "right to be normal" and be the same as everybody else, even when that makes everybody else abnormal.

And, what, the guy walking down the street that crosses paths with the kid and kills him because he was eating a Snickers bar is "evil"?

paulbot24
08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
I have a nephew whose parents took him to a food allergy doctor when he was very young to find out what he was going to be allergic to. His mom is a nurse by the way. The doctor told them that he's allergic to corn and now the diaper sniffing parents won't even let the kid eat a hot dog on his birthday because hot dogs have "corn byproducts." Now the entire family is obsessed with studying labels and getting food allergy tests and toxic metal tests for themselves, and their kids.......and here is the funny part. Almost all of them are not just overweight, but obese, and I am basically pretty healthy and not overweight. I don't study labels but I'm not reckless either. Just basically good eating habits and regular exercise. They've told me on more than one occasion that I should get tested for gluten,soy,corn allergy just so I know. Know what? Know what to stress out about?

Christian Liberty
08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Stop right there bucko!

Church socials?

Ball games?

Life in general!

I didn't advocate any government action, learn to read.

I oppose public schools.

Because it's ridiculous on the face of it.

If this kid's allergies are so severe that just being in the room with nuts is enough to kill him, then the parents are the ones being irresponsible and that child, sadly, must be restricted to life in a sterile environment.

Can't have that though, everyone has a "right to be normal" and be the same as everybody else, even when that makes everybody else abnormal.

And, what, the guy walking down the street that crosses paths with the kid and kills him because he was eating a Snickers bar is "evil"?

Casually walking down the street and happening to do that is very different than deliberately bringing peanut products to the school where it could threaten the kids life.

Now, condemn the parents all you want, its NOT the kids fault and he doesn't deserve to die in school because his parents may have been idiots.

tod evans
08-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I didn't advocate any government action, learn to read.

I oppose public schools.

Casually walking down the street and happening to do that is very different than deliberately bringing peanut products to the school where it could threaten the kids life.

Now, condemn the parents all you want, its NOT the kids fault and he doesn't deserve to die in school because his parents may have been idiots.

Ya' just don't get it do you?

Schools are part-n-parcel of the government, this "case" went to a government court.

You are advocating that it is other peoples problem to assure this child isn't exposed to peanuts in a public setting..

What's next?

Will you advocate that only approved government agents be permitted to carry weapons?.....Oh-wait..

What of the child who's allergic to aluminum chlorohydrate? Do you suggest banning deodorant?

The list can go on forever, try reading and then applying a tad of logic....

Anti Federalist
08-01-2013, 04:34 PM

No, the kid is not at fault. The parents are, for being so blind, so unwilling to face reality, that they will condemn their child to death, in a quest to be normal.

"Normal" is not being so allergic to a common foodstuff that merely being in the same room with it will cause death.

Turning an entire institution upside down to accommodate this abnormality, when a walk down the street or attending a movie or church or going to the store or camp or a million other things will expose the child to the same or greater risk, that's just plain pig headed and negligent.

angelatc
08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I have a nephew whose parents took him to a food allergy doctor when he was very young to find out what he was going to be allergic to. His mom is a nurse by the way. The doctor told them that he's allergic to corn and now the diaper sniffing parents won't even let the kid eat a hot dog on his birthday because hot dogs have "corn byproducts." Now the entire family is obsessed with studying labels and getting food allergy tests and toxic metal tests for themselves, and their kids.......and here is the funny part. Almost all of them are not just overweight, but obese, and I am basically pretty healthy and not overweight. I don't study labels but I'm not reckless either. Just basically good eating habits and regular exercise. They've told me on more than one occasion that I should get tested for gluten,soy,corn allergy just so I know. Know what? Know what to stress out about?

My personal opinion is that most allergies are psychosomatic.

CPUd
08-01-2013, 05:24 PM

My guess is overprescribed antibiotics, of which, most people don't finish the course- so whatever it didn't kill develops resistance and gets out into the wild. Plus the antibiotics which find their way into our food products.

presence
08-01-2013, 05:35 PM
May 14, 2010 -- Peanut allergies (http://www.webmd.com/allergies/default.htm) in children have more than tripled in the United States from 1997 to 2008, an alarming trend that can’t yet be explained,

[]

“Our research shows that more than 3 million Americans report peanut and or tree nut allergies, representing a significant health burden,”
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20100514/peanut-allergies-in-kids-on-the-rise

why?

There is the HYGIENE HYPOTHESIS:

http://fooddrugallergy.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=40

and then there is the VACCINATION HYPOTHESIS:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/rise-in-childhood-food-allergies-being-linked-to-vaccinations/
http://www.smartvax.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73

In 1964, Merck announced that it had patented a revolutionary peanut oil vaccine adjuvant.

I think there is truth to both hypothesis

2young2vote
08-01-2013, 06:17 PM
That is annoying.
People who have kids with nut allergies are some of the most annoying customers. One kept talking about how her son has a nut allergy and that we need to get fresh scoops and tubs to make sure the ice cream isn't cross contaminated. She then proceeds to order a quart of chocolate peanut butter and complains when there is a little bit of peanut butter on the side of it which we cleaned off.

But its true. I almost never encounter a person over maybe 30 or 35 who has a nut allergy. 99% of the time its the kids who have the nut allergy. And I don't necessarily agree with the vaccine cause. I'd bet it is more likely the chemicals/fertilizers put into our food that are causing it. Same probably goes for the cause of mental illness in children.

I really need to start getting more REAL organic foods.

presence
08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the vaccine cause. I'd bet it is more likely the chemicals/fertilizers put into our food that are causing it. Same probably goes for the cause of mental illness in children.

Like honey bee colony collapse disorder... its probably a "perfect storm" causing it.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2013, 06:29 PM
I think there is truth to both hypothesis

So do I, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't the first person to bring it up.

amy31416
08-01-2013, 08:41 PM

If my kid had a deathly allergy to something so common, there's no way in hell I'd send that kid to a public school. Kids are ignorant dicks and would probably throw peanuts/Reese's cups at the kid if he/she were even slightly unpopular.

tod evans
08-01-2013, 08:45 PM
If my kid had a deathly allergy to something so common, there's no way in hell I'd send that kid to a public school. Kids are ignorant dicks and would probably throw peanuts/Reese's cups at the kid if he/she were even slightly unpopular.

The voice of a reasonable parent..

Anti Federalist
08-01-2013, 08:46 PM

This.

Christian Liberty
08-01-2013, 08:50 PM
No, the kid is not at fault. The parents are, for being so blind, so unwilling to face reality, that they will condemn their child to death, in a quest to be normal.

"Normal" is not being so allergic to a common foodstuff that merely being in the same room with it will cause death.

Turning an entire institution upside down to accommodate this abnormality, when a walk down the street or attending a movie or church or going to the store or camp or a million other things will expose the child to the same or greater risk, that's just plain pig headed and negligent.

I agree, but its still being a jerk for the parents of other kids to bring peanuts into the school knowing full well there's a kid in there against his will that could die from it.

That just isn't right, IMO.

James Madison
08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
That is annoying.
People who have kids with nut allergies are some of the most annoying customers. One kept talking about how her son has a nut allergy and that we need to get fresh scoops and tubs to make sure the ice cream isn't cross contaminated. She then proceeds to order a quart of chocolate peanut butter and complains when there is a little bit of peanut butter on the side of it which we cleaned off.

But its true. I almost never encounter a person over maybe 30 or 35 who has a nut allergy. 99% of the time its the kids who have the nut allergy. And I don't necessarily agree with the vaccine cause. I'd bet it is more likely the chemicals/fertilizers put into our food that are causing it. Same probably goes for the cause of mental illness in children.

Peanut allergies have skyrocketed in recent decades for several reasons. The first is a misconception about how peanut allergies work: parents avoid exposing peanuts to their infants -- in an effort to reduce allergies -- but in doing so actually prevent desensitization to peanut allergens. The second is what has been referenced above as the 'Hygiene Hypothesis'. Humans, even Europeans, lived with heavy parasite loads until the formulation of Germ Theory. There are many helminths that produce anti-immunogenic compounds and so animals have evolved ways to subvert this. Individual immune cells are not effective soldiers against multicellular behemoths, so instead of directly attacking a parasite, it's easier to simply release histamines and make the afflicted 'sneeze and cough' the parasite out, if you will. Basophils, eosinophils, and mast cells are normally involved in this process, but with few parasites to attack, much of the immune system is too high-strung and within anything to do. Allergies can take up this void.

GunnyFreedom
08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree, but its still being a jerk for the parents of other kids to bring peanuts into the school knowing full well there's a kid in there against his will that could die from it.

Let's say for the sake of argument a kid is somehow deathly allergic to human hair. Should that child go to a public school and force all 3000 students and 500 faculty to shave their entire bodies every single day just to accommodate that student? The flip-side of liberty is individual responsibility. You can't have liberty without responsibility. At some point it falls to the responsibility of the afflicted individual's parents to put their child in an environment that is conducive to accommodate the child's affliction rather than forcing everyone else to change their own lifestyles to suit one person with one problem. This whole discussion reminds me a LOT of the Harrison Bergeron dystopia (Kurt Vonnegut Jr 1961).

KEEF
08-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Our bacterial flora in our GI tract is all fucked up as a result of the shit we put in our diet. Some pretty good research out there on this; the guy at the fore-front of it is on the verge of a Nobel Prize linking floral populations (or absent of certain strands) to the increase of ADD, ADHD, allegies, etc. No granted I think that some cases of ADD, ADHD, and other 'mental' issues are a bit over diagnosed in the favor of big pharm, but it is amazing that there is such a jump in kids dying from anaphylaxis if you so much as look at them while thinking of peanuts in such a short amount of time.

On that same token, when I was a kid, parents made you go outside and play (just be back before it gets too dark). Now with such a sheltered society that results in a sheltered immune system, it is no wonder. My verdict... it is the bacterial flora (as stated above) that explains the direct cause of the increase in alleergies, but the overlying cause is society becoming pussies.

Now that becoming pussies part is a whole other subject with chemicals and such that mimic estrogen that are found in foods and regular things we take for granted and that effect our genes at the epigenome level.

angelatc
08-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Truth.

Philhelm
08-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Jesus Christ. Somewhere, some kid can't look at an M&M without blood exploding out of his eyes and ears and the rest of the world must change everything. Natural selection.

Christian Liberty
08-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Let's say for the sake of argument a kid is somehow deathly allergic to human hair. Should that child go to a public school and force all 3000 students and 500 faculty to shave their entire bodies every single day just to accommodate that student? The flip-side of liberty is individual responsibility. You can't have liberty without responsibility. At some point it falls to the responsibility of the afflicted individual's parents to put their child in an environment that is conducive to accommodate the child's affliction rather than forcing everyone else to change their own lifestyles to suit one person with one problem. This whole discussion reminds me a LOT of the Harrison Bergeron dystopia (Kurt Vonnegut Jr 1961).

I think the analogy you gave is a little extreme, its a lot easier to not bring peanuts into school than it is to shave your body every day. That said, I don't disagree with you, and indeed, I didn't advocate any government action here.

phill4paul
08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Will the children need to start specially washing their clothes if they come from a household in which peanuts are allowed? A decontamination chamber prior to entering school grounds?

Dr.3D
08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Get the kid a space suit and let everybody else live a normal life.

heavenlyboy34
08-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Stop right there bucko!

Church socials?

Ball games?

Life in general!

See, this should be common fucking sense. That it needs even to be said reflects very, very badly on Boobus. Idiocracy is here! :(

Philhelm
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Get the kid a space suit and let everybody else live a normal life.

Exactly. Crunchy chocolate candy bars being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear peanuts shall not be infringed.

tod evans
08-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Will the children need to start specially washing their clothes if they come from a household in which peanuts are allowed? A decontamination chamber prior to entering school grounds?

What about peanut eaters who don't flush? :eek:

phill4paul
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
What about peanut eaters who don't flush? :eek:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KXcyDEz5dhQ/SYMMmlKlC2I/AAAAAAAAA0Q/G0VSTyRkSOI/caddyshack.jpg

nobody's_hero
08-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Anyone else thinking the title meant mental nuts. I thought, 'well thank god, they've figured out it isn't the guns but the people who use them.'

Come to find out the content of the news is even more absurd.

alucard13mm
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I think it is more appropriate to ask the other kids if they'd like to elminate nuts from the food/menu because one (unnamed student, to avoid singling her out) can die from it, and I am sure that most kids won't mind... versus forcing the school to ban it for other kids.

Pretty soon nuts will be on the school's black market and will be sold in dime bags haha.

GunnyFreedom
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I think it is more appropriate to ask the other kids if they'd like to elminate nuts from the food/menu because one (unnamed student, to avoid singling her out) can die from it, and I am sure that most kids won't mind... versus forcing the school to ban it for other kids.

Pretty soon nuts will be on the school's black market and will be sold in dime bags haha.

tree-fiddy bruh

LibForestPaul
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Stop right there bucko!

Church socials?

Ball games?

Life in general!

Not in this country. It is everyone's responsibility. It takes a village to raise an idiot.

LibForestPaul
08-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Still doesn't matter. Because of this one statement on almost every food item.
"May contain traces of nuts"

CPUd
08-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it raises the prices of other foods, because in the processing plants, they have to take more downtime to clean or change out equipment.

kathy88
08-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Oh horse shit. An entire school forced to comply to pacify one idiotic set of parents?

Christian Liberty
08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Oh horse shit. An entire school forced to comply to pacify one idiotic set of parents?

You know what, I'm neg repping this because you're like the thousandth person to take my post completely out of context despite me repetatively pointing it out.

I NEVER said anything about supporting force. I gave a moral suggestion. I cannot support any edict from a public school because I believe public schools are evil. Stop reading into my posts.

Christian Liberty
08-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Oh: and BTW, I stand by what I actually said. It is immoral to send your child into school with peanuts knowing full well there is someone who could die from it in the building. A child's life is worth more than your peanut snack.

I'm talking about basic human decency here, not laws. And yeah, I agree the child shouldn't be in public school, I don't think ANYONE should be in public school, but that doesn't mean the child should die.

kathy88
08-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Oh noes!!!! Neg rep!!!!!

Pericles
08-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Not in this country. It is everyone's responsibility. It takes a village to raise an idiot.

That village has been working overtime.

Christian Liberty
08-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Oh noes!!!! Neg rep!!!!!

I know it doesn't actually matter but its a sign of extreme disproval for an idiotic post.

pcosmar
08-02-2013, 09:45 PM
If only we could ban the nuts from state employment and elected office.

Christian Liberty
08-02-2013, 09:46 PM
If only we could ban the nuts from state employment and elected office.

You mean you want all-woman run government?:p

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

pcosmar
08-02-2013, 09:59 PM
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Oh, you could have.

I went to a Spaghetti Dinner at St Mary's with my Mother. It was held in the school gym and there were No peanut signs all over the place.

http://www.cakesnshapes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/allergies-nut.jpg
Private school,, but it gave me a craving for a peanut butter cookie. :(

Pericles
08-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh, you could have.

I went to a Spaghetti Dinner at St Mary's with my Mother. It was held in the school gym and there were No peanut signs all over the place.

http://www.cakesnshapes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/allergies-nut.jpg
Private school,, but it gave me a craving for a peanut butter cookie. :(

I take that as a challenge to smuggle in a Snickers (TM) bar.

Weston White
08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Oh please, the kid might get itchy or a slight rash outbreak while in the presents of whatever nuts—presuming they have a severe allergy condition, but his/her mortality will only be in danger should he actually consume those nuts. Other than that keep a few steroid injectors in the nursing station and all will be well in reality.

The public courts are going completely out of control. Trying to assert a food allergy as a handicap to be covered by federal civil rights acts is a complete bastardization of its legislative breadth. So outrageous!

To note my own personal experiences while growing up, I used to be allergic to nearly every nut (eating only a few would cause my throat to start swelling and make me itchy), while my father was a big nut lover, so nuts were always in the kitchen cabinets; thus, over the years I forced myself to eat a few at a time (enduring the slight discomfort), until one day I realized no negative reaction, with only exception to walnut type (Christmas variety) nuts, those still get me when I try consuming more than a couple of them.

Weston White
08-02-2013, 11:18 PM

In a NUTSHELL... This! :D

Philhelm
08-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Oh: and BTW, I stand by what I actually said. It is immoral to send your child into school with peanuts knowing full well there is someone who could die from it in the building. A child's life is worth more than your peanut snack.

I'm talking about basic human decency here, not laws. And yeah, I agree the child shouldn't be in public school, I don't think ANYONE should be in public school, but that doesn't mean the child should die.

Immoral would be grinding up some peanuts and smearing them into the child's eyes. Going about one's daily life, including the eating of a common food item, is not immoral. What if every source of food had the capability to cause harm to others? Why limit this to public schools? We know that some people can have fatal reactions to...peanuts** so should everyone cease to eat the murderous food everywhere in public?

**Atilla the Hun, scourge of the West, probably really died from eating a peanut...lol

mad cow
08-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Just driving through southeast Virginia would give this boy a case of the fantods,we've got thousands and thousands of acres of peanuts here.

I guess if he lived in these parts we could plow them all up and plant....just what is nobody in the entire history of the world not allergic to?

KrokHead
08-03-2013, 04:45 AM
So, what is going to happen to this kid once he moves on from here?

Is he going to be surrounded by a phalanx of government shooters who will summarily execute anybody who gets within 1000 yards with a packet of peanuts?

I think those nut allergies are psychological. I bet it got started from kids who hated nuts because they wanted chips and candy. Kids eat stuff cross contaminated with nuts all the time with no consequences, but God forbid someone finds out about one peanut everyone goes crazy and tells that story of 'the girl who kissed her boyfriend and died an hour later.'

Just because I can't have gluten for example shouldn't deprive the rest of the world of it. Fuck kids.

tod evans
08-03-2013, 04:57 AM
Just driving through southeast Virginia would give this boy a case of the fantods,we've got thousands and thousands of acres of peanuts here.

I guess if he lived in these parts we could plow them all up and plant....just what is nobody in the entire history of the world not allergic to?

Weed!

1000's of acres of marijuana, never a single documented allergic reaction..

mad cow
08-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Weed!

1000's of acres of marijuana, never a single documented allergic reaction..

There you go!Happily ever after.

tod evans
08-03-2013, 05:02 AM
There you go!Happily ever after.

I'd bet with a good enough case of the munchies and a calmer demeanor there'd be lots less peanut allergies too...

presence
08-03-2013, 06:16 AM
You know another "hypothesis" on the peanut allergy thing.... Peanuts are often grown in ROTATION with cotton. Cotton is susecptible to boll weavil and is sprayed heavily with malathion application pesticides that are not food grade; but then the following year peanuts are back on the same field. Other pesticides commonly found on peanuts include:
Piperonyl butoxide
DDE p,p'
Pentachloroaniline (PCA)
Quintozene (PCNB)
Fluazinam
Pentachlorobenzene (PCB)
Carboxin
http://whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=PB

then there is also aflatoxin:

While actual nuts like almonds and walnuts have strong, hard shells that protect them, the legume known as a peanut has soft and porous skin. When the environment surrounding the peanut becomes warm, humid and wet -- as it does in most regions of the U.S. where peanuts are commonly grown -- a fungal growth occurs.
The fungus itself is not dangerous, but the poison it releases, known as "aflatoxin," is.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/04/12/12/peanuts-most-are-carcinogenic--amp-pesticide-contaminated-but-there-are-safe-sources.htm

donnay
08-03-2013, 07:11 AM
I heard it's because we now live in such sterile environments that our immune systems aren't exposed to enough allergens. When I was a kid, nobody was allergic to anything. Now kids are allergic to dogs, cats, grass, dust, smoke, etc, etc.

Nah, it couldn't be that peanut oil is an adjuvant being shot into a persons bloodstream?

Vaccines and the Peanut Allergy Epidemic
http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/allergies/vaccines-and-the-peanut-allergy-epidemic/

Wooden Indian
08-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Think of the children!

Why do you need to eat those nuts? Why must you insist on endagering these poor babies with the presence of your PB&J sandwich?

A time traveler from just 10 years ago would shit his pants in horror at how quickly this nation has gone off the deep end.
I mean, Christ. There's a libertarian in this very thread defending this insanity.

We're screwed.

Philhelm
08-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I think those nut allergies are psychological.

Agreed. My wife is allergic to nuts.

Fuck kids.

Agreed. They just grow up to be bastards anyway.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't know what came over me, this is actually a good thing.

It will run even more people out of the government indoctrination centers.

Nirvikalpa
08-03-2013, 02:23 PM

One of my first EMS calls were for a kid who was force-fed some variety of nut (I forgot) by his classmates and was allergic to it, and by the time we were dispatched and arrived the kid's entire mouth/lip/face was swelled to the point it was obstructing his breathing.

I couldn't even get an oropharyngeal airway into the kids mouth because of the level his tongue was swelled, and it was my first "holy shit, this kid's going to die and there's almost nothing I can do" moment.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2013, 02:26 PM
One of my first EMS calls were for a kid who was force-fed some variety of nut (I forgot) by his classmates and was allergic to it, and by the time we were dispatched and arrived the kid's entire mouth/lip/face was swelled to the point it was obstructing his breathing.

I couldn't even get an oropharyngeal airway into the kids mouth because of the level his tongue was swelled, and it was my first "holy shit, this kid's going to die and there's almost nothing I can do" moment.

Emergency tracheotomy?

pcosmar
08-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Emergency tracheotomy?

Do they still teach that in basic first aid?

it has been so long ago,,,,

tod evans
08-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Do they still teach that in basic first aid?

it has been so long ago,,,,

My 9 y/o understands how to perform an emgcy trach...CPR too, arterial bleeding.

Basic knowledge in my opinion.