PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown student demands more regulation on homeschoolers

XNavyNuke
08-01-2013, 08:58 AM
....because he says his parents provided him with a substandard education.

Should parents have complete control over home schooling? (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865583877/Should-parents-have-complete-control-over-home-schooling.html)

"Yet Josh Powell asserts his home schooling yielded an inferior education, and so he wants his younger siblings to have the option of attending public school. Susan Svrluga’s feature-length Washington Post piece reported how, because of a unique law on the books in Virginia, there’s really no objective criteria to substantiate or refute Powell’s claims.

“Powell was taught at home, his parents using a religious exemption that allows families to entirely opt out of public education, a Virginia law that is unlike any other in the country,” Svrluga wrote. “That means that not only are their children excused from attending school — as those educated under the state’s home-school statute are — but they also are exempt from all government oversight. School officials don’t ever ask them for transcripts, test scores or proof of education of any kind: Parents have total control.”"

If only all students received such a inferior education that allows them to be accepted by Georgetown.

XNN

GregSarnowski
08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
What an ingrate. Isn't Georgetown pretty close to Ivy League? No doubt each year there are many government (I mean "public") school students who apply and don't get in.

Seraphim
08-01-2013, 09:09 AM
2 weeks in a Federally subsidized public school and the twerp would be crying for his mommy.

mczerone
08-01-2013, 09:12 AM
(1) I'd suspect 90% of the students in govt schools get substandard education, at least a much higher percentage than those who are homeschooled.

(2) He's fighting for his siblings to have "the option" to go to govt schools. Don't they already have that option? He's really fighting the status that the law gives to the parent/child relationship, where parents are the masters and children the slaves. This isn't about homeschool vs. govt school, this is about being stifled by irrational authority.

ClydeCoulter
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
"... Parents have total control.”"

What? He wants the state to have total control?

Seraphim
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Knows not what he asks for.

"... Parents have total control.”"

What? He wants the state to have total control?

Seraphim
08-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah;

He got into an upper tier school (if I'm not mistaken). It could not have been that bad.

What an ingrate. Isn't Georgetown pretty close to Ivy League? No doubt each year there are many government (I mean "public") school students who apply and don't get in.

presence
08-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Yes parents should have complete authority over their child's education, end of story.

ladyjade3
08-01-2013, 10:16 AM
I have facebook friends who were homeschooled and feel it was woefully inadequate. Not all of them win the spelling bee. This is one hazard you get with freedom. Everyone will do it a little different and some will not do it as well as others.

I think its something for parents to consider when weighing options. Realistically.

State control issues aside, on a human, parent level - is my kid going to hate me for the educational choices I make for him? I hope not. If we homeschool and my kid wants to see what public school is all about, I hope we let him go. He'll hate it and we won't have resentments like this to deal with.

It's sad, really. What a parent and family sacrifice to educate at home and end up with an angry, bitter young adult? That's a terrible outcome... no matter what college he's at.

mad cow
08-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Had he attended a Virginia public school,like Allen Iverson did,he might have gotten a full-boat scholarship like Allen Iverson did.

I don't think Allen even had to pay for his own condoms,like poor Sandra Fluke did.

jkr
08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
HMMMM...maybe he's just STUPID...

jkr
08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I went to "public school" and I fell I got a raw deal...who do I blame THAT on

Christian Liberty
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I'd never expose my kids to the propaganda of public school.

mczerone
08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Yes parents should have complete authority over their child's education, end of story.

And should be liable to their children for obviously harming them.

Children are not your property, they are independent human beings that you are charged with bringing into adulthood.

(I don't want state enforcement of this, but private arbitration could be used to recompense the harmed children and private agreements could work to keep harm from occuring)

Czolgosz
08-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Flush the Statists and start a New America.

quezkittel
08-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes, homeschooling should never be illegal, but we all should accept that it may not be the right choice for all students, either. I have some friends in that boat, too. One in particular who learned math by watching videos but couldn't ask anybody questions. His parents were okay with that because they never found math important. It took forever to catch up to the general requirements for his eventual college degree, and all the while he was trying to petition his parents to go to private school.

I'm a big proponent of letting kids (especially older ones) have some say over their education and not leaving it up only to their guardians.

catfeathers
08-04-2013, 07:05 PM
My youngest son was home schooled from near the end of 3rd grade through high school. He is glad he was home schooled, even though he had to take a remedial writing class in college. He'll also be taking pre-algebra this semester. The developmental classes don't bother him because all the other students in his classes went to public school. He knows that if he stayed in public school he'd probably be far behind where he is now.

I started home schooling because he couldn't read near the end of 3rd grade. I had intended to send him back to school after getting him caught up but it was just too much fun and I had a much happier child when he could learn at his own pace so we just kept going. I'm glad KY is not a very hard state to home school in. I used to think it needed more regulations myself but I got over that very quickly.