PDA

View Full Version : Police Assault & Detain Libertarian Detroit Candidate

EBounding
08-01-2013, 07:36 AM
http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/07/31/police-assault-bound-detroit-clerk-candidate-for-3-5-hours/

Police assault, bind clerk candidate for 3.5 hours in Detroit

Scott Boman said he was isolated in handcuffs without water to keep him from attending a candidate forum.

Scotty Boman, a candidate for Detroit clerk, was assaulted by police and left alone in handcuffs and without water in a closet-sized room for more than three hours for trying to take photos of what he considered unethical signs posted by his challenger, incumbent Clerk Janice Winfrey, he said.

The math and physics professor at Wayne County Community College also was trying to hand out campaign literature more than 100 feet from a polling station at his college’s northwestern campus.

Boman, a libertarian who was later treated at a local hospital, said WCCCD officers slammed his head into a wall and handcuffed him “in a torturous position” shortly after 3 p.m.

“I lost control of my right arm,” Boman told me. “They kept me bound, isolated and without water for 3.5 hours, to intimidate me from attending a candidate forum.”

Boman said the officers laughed at him while he was stuck in handcuffs. By the time his camera was returned, incriminating video he took of the police was deleted. The officers, he said, threatened to arrest him if he brought the camera back to the campus.

By the time Boman reached the candidate forum, it was nearly over.

Boman was treated at a local hospital, where he said he lacked enough control of his right hand to sign medical forms. He also was unable to shake hands after the forum.

His photos showed that Winfrey was using tax dollars to advertise her name on numerous city signs near voting polls.

Campus police declined to talk with me and referred questions to other campus officials, who have not yet returned calls for comment. Winfrey also couldn’t be reached for comment.

Check back for updates.

More details here as well:
http://michiganlp.org/?wysija-page=1&controller=email&action=view&email_id=10&wysijap=subscriptions
https://www.facebook.com/scottyboman

Christian Liberty
08-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Yeah, we're obviously a free country...

I feel like I want to slap every person who says that kind of crap.

No, that wasn't directly related to this crap but I had someone, a family member give me the "Love it or leave it" crap in a debate over the NDAA.

You know what, I've come to accept it, most of them are my enemies. My own family are my enemies. Yes, I obviously love them, they are my family, but politically, they are my enemies. At least some of them would fit under the labels of "Sheep" and "Drone" that I use for everyone else.

I may not openly acknowledge it in real life, but I'm officially coming to terms with it.

As for the thread itself, this is once again why I believe any crime committed in uniform should be a capital offense, and the burden of proof should be much lower than it is for a civilian.

Darguth
08-01-2013, 08:14 AM
I've met Mr. Boman a few times through C4L and I keep up with him on FB. From what I could gather from his posts yesterday he was taking pictures of a taxpayer-bought banner advertising a candidate forum, but it also included the name of the incumbent on them and not the other candidates. So basically taxpayers were paying for her advertisement, which he found unethical.

After that he moved to the legal distance from the entry point of the forum to pass out his campaign lit and a couple of cops came and harassed him. He began videotaping them but got arrested and they deleted the video (don't know if he had an uplink of it streaming live to online or anything, it may be lost). They then detained him almost just long enough to keep him from attending the candidate forum altogether, even though he'd broken no laws.

Grubb556
08-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Why would you try to run in Detroit ? I don't think even the strongest dose of free markets could save that place.

Darguth
08-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Why would you try to run in Detroit ? I don't think even the strongest dose of free markets could save that place.

Boman runs for a position almost every election cycle it seems, it's mostly to try to spread libertarian ideas.

green73
08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
bump. What a fucking 3rd world country.

CPUd
08-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Mayoral Primary is Tuesday.

Lucille
08-04-2013, 04:13 PM
bump. What a fucking 3rd world country.

No one can hear you over all this freedom.

VIDEODROME
08-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Boman runs for a position almost every election cycle it seems, it's mostly to try to spread libertarian ideas.

I vote Boman every time for Senate.

TaftFan
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I vote Boman every time for Senate.

That's where I've heard of him.