PDA

View Full Version : U.S. government argues for continued surveillance power, NSA chief defends programs

AngryCanadian
07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
NSA chief addresses hackers as lawmakers grill underlings (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/31/19795847-nsa-chief-addresses-hackers-as-lawmakers-grill-underlings)
U.S. government argues for continued surveillance power (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/31/us-obama-domestic-surveillance.html)
http://www.wtfrly.com/wp-content/frontpage/obama-big-brother.jpg

Yes i know the NBC source is a bit iffy but its a worth a read.

“Read the Constitution!” an audience member shot back at him.
“I have, you should too,” the general responded to large applause.

At another point, a conference attendee yelled, “Bulls---!” after the NSA chief said his spy agency stands for freedom.

As Gen. Keith Alexander, the embattled head of the U.S. National Security Agency spoke at the NSA hackers press conference the General was greeted with an somewhat hostile crowd gathered at the Black Hat conference in Las Vegas, Nev. — where he unapologetically defended NSA surveillance programs.

He appeared by stating to the hackers. They are the biggest and greatest gathering of technical talent in anywhere the world, if we can make this better, the whole reason I came here was to ask you to help us make it better of course he avoided the whole scandal.

“You’re the greatest gathering of technical talent in anywhere the world, if we can make this better, the whole reason I came here was to ask you to help us make it better,” Alexander appealed to the crowd. “And if you disagree with us, you should work twice as hard.”

Comical Alexander claimed to an hostile audience that he has indeed read the Constitution which has as such the general was responded to large applause. Notable quite possibly from the Media Press audience.

As Gen. Keith Alexander defended the NSA spying programs on Wednesday President Barack Obama's national security team acknowledged for the first time that, when investigating one suspected terrorist, it can read and store the phone records of millions of innocent Americans. Not related to any terrorist organization.

If the average person called 40 unique people, three-hop analysis would allow the government to mine the records of 2.5 million Americans when investigating one suspected terrorist.
The NSA has said it conducted 300 searches of its telephone database last year. Left unsaid until Wednesday was that three-hop analysis off those searches could mean scrutinizing the phone records of tens or even hundreds of millions of people.

The telephone program is authorized under a provision of the USA Patriot Act, which Congress hurriedly passed after Sept. 11. President George W. Bush's administration said then what Obama's administration says now: that in order to connect the dots, it needs to collect lots of dots.

What do you think the way they are trying desperately on defending the NSA program? personally they are doing a horrible job at it.