PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico: Take your kids to school or you're going to jail

aGameOfThrones
07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
If you have children in public school, you better be actively involved in their education because, otherwise, you could be prosecuted for abuse.

(Hey, and is not a joke!)

The evidence of abuse will be determined by the Department of Education (DE), which aims to register your participation in school activities and if you have a pattern of refusal, you will be taken to court.

This is how the governor Alejandro García Padilla intends on forcing parents to become actively involved in the education of their children. And, to that end, yesterday signed an executive order to develop an updated protocol in the DE on the criteria that must be followed to comply with school accountability of fathers, mothers or legal guardians.

The initiative will also include the creation of a comprehensive family support center, called "Academy for Parents", which will offer workshops and advice on how to participate actively in the academic training of students.

Parents that let their children dropout of school are committing child abuse. We're starting academies for parents so no one can say they did not know. We are starting with the parents, educating fathers and mothers, "the governor said yesterday.

"I have a constitutional duty to provide free public education, and I will do my part, but I require of fathers and mothers to take their children to school... I exhort that parents take their kids to school so that I will not have to prosecute people for child abuse, but if I have to, I'll do it, "said the Chief Executive.

Puerto Rico's Constitution guarantees free public education from first grade to high school seniors.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/gobierno-politica/nota/madresypadrestendranqueinvolucrarsemasenescuelas-941431/

Christian Liberty
07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
I used to say statehood or independence.

I take that back.

Kick them out. We don't need them.

Heck, we don't need the US either, but we really don't need even more sheep.

DamianTV
07-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Translation: Allow us to indoctrinate your crotchfruit or we will make you allow us to indoctrinate your crotchfruit.

DamianTV
07-31-2013, 12:54 AM
The Story of Your Unenslavement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzyogKiXhEA&feature=player_detailpage

Smart3
07-31-2013, 05:29 AM
Minus the academy for parents, isn't this the law just about everywhere in the Western world? If you consent to government education, you're basically selling your children to them. I have no issue with this as long as it applies only to government education.

Let's face it, they're not pleased with their results so they're moving the blame from them to parents to keep the sham going.

moostraks
07-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Minus the academy for parents, isn't this the law just about everywhere in the Western world? If you consent to government education, you're basically selling your children to them. I have no issue with this as long as it applies only to government education.

Let's face it, they're not pleased with their results so they're moving the blame from them to parents to keep the sham going.

I wonder what homeschool laws are for Puerto Rico? Maybe this will encourage parents to be more responsible through removing them from the system? Since they are going to be forced to put the work in they might as well step up and assume full control.

It isn't the parent participation that is causing them the problems so much as it is the entire process of how the education is being given. When you have individuals with no true investment in the final results of the student in charge of educating you will get poor quality results.They aren't goal oriented to the final outcome but rather task oriented to a small segment for which they are (sometimes) held accountable. Add to that the number of different teachers with which the student will just not be able to get along with socially for whatever reasons (which leads to the teacher avoiding interactions with the particular student). This ain't going to fix their problems but I am sure social services will be loving all the increased funding and bonuses they will be rewarded with for taking these children away from their "abusive" parents.

Antischism
07-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Translation: Allow us to indoctrinate your crotchfruit or we will make you allow us to indoctrinate your crotchfruit.

Crotchfruit is a funny word. I'm using this in the future. :D

Contumacious
07-31-2013, 08:05 AM
I wonder what homeschool laws are for Puerto Rico? Maybe this will encourage parents to be more responsible through removing them from the system? .

Asociación Cristiana de Familias (http://www.home-school.com/groups/PR.html) Educadoras en el Hogar
Las Piedras, PR
Phone: (787) 362-1792
http://www.acfeh.com

paulbot24
07-31-2013, 09:23 AM
So you threaten the parents with child abuse charges to force them to care about their child's education? Then what? Parents don't comply, and the children eventually become wards of the State. None of this will impact the child in any negative way of course. The State finds some loving foster parents who typically try soooo much harder than a child's actual parents and the problem is "solved?" Wow.

aGameOfThrones
07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

Consent? It's compulsory. You send them to public or private, but you have to send them.

(PR Constitution)

Section 5. Every person has the right to an education which shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. There shall be a system of free and wholly non-sectarian public education. Instruction in the elementary and secondary schools shall be free and shall be compulsory in the elementary schools to the extent permitted by the facilities of the state. No public property or public funds shall be used for the support of schools or educational institutions other than those of the state. Nothing contained in this provision shall prevent the state from furnishing.to any child non-educational services established by law for the protection or welfare of children.*

aGameOfThrones
07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

Consent? It's compulsory. You send them to public or private, but you have to send them.

(PR Constitution)

Section 5. Every person has the right to an education which shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. There shall be a system of free and wholly non-sectarian public education. Instruction in the elementary and secondary schools shall be free and shall be compulsory in the elementary schools to the extent permitted by the facilities of the state. No public property or public funds shall be used for the support of schools or educational institutions other than those of the state. Nothing contained in this provision shall prevent the state from furnishing.to any child non-educational services established by law for the protection or welfare of children.*

Contumacious
07-31-2013, 11:12 AM

(PR Constitution)

History of legal controversy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschooling_in_the_United_States)

See also: Homeschooling#Controversies and criticism

The legality of homeschooling in the United States has been debated by educators, lawmakers, and parents since the beginnings of compulsory education in Massachusetts in 1852.

For decades the source of debate was focused whether it was legal for parents to withhold their children from school and educate them in a home setting, pitting homeschooling advocates against those in favor of organized public schools.

Since the late 1980s, the focus on the legality of homeschooling in general is no longer in serious debate but legal questions have shifted to whether homeschooling communities can access state school funds, facilities, and resources. There are also legal questions over the degree of control that a state can exercise on homeschooling families regarding areas like curricula and standardized testing.

In 2008 a three-judge panel of the California Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that children must be taught by a credentialed tutor or person with a teaching credential. The court stated that "It is clear that the education of the children at their home, whatever the quality of that education, does not qualify for the private full-time day school or credentialed tutor exemptions from compulsory education in a public full-time day school."[5] The court rejected the parent's reliance on Yoder's holding regarding religious choice.[5] However, in March 2008, the court agreed to rehear the case and vacated its prior decision. In August 2008, the court issued a new decision unanimously reversing its earlier decision and the Court further stated that homeschooling was legal in California.[6]"

Matthew5
07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
They'll make a fine 51st state. They fit right in!

moostraks
07-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Asociación Cristiana de Familias (http://www.home-school.com/groups/PR.html) Educadoras en el Hogar
Las Piedras, PR
Phone: (787) 362-1792
http://www.acfeh.com

:) English site used by many homeschoolers as a resource regarding legal rights:

Attendance in public schools in Puerto Rico is compulsory between 5 and 18 years of age. However, attendance at public school shall not be compulsory for those who are receiving education in schools established under the auspices of non-governmental entities. While non-governmental entity schools are not clearly defined or regulated by law, only a primary or secondary academic school which declares, promises, announces, or expresses the intention of granting certificates, diplomas, degrees or licenses is required to licensed by the General Council of Education (Consejo General de Educación). Most homeschoolers operate as non-governmental entity schools. These homeschools typically use transcripts to demonstrate completed work rather than diplomas.

The Departamento de La Familia (through ADSEF, Administración de Desarrollo Socio-Económico de La Familia), which administers the nutritional or financial assistance program for indigent families, recognizes homeschooling as a valid alternative of fulfilling the academic requirement for eligibility purposes.

3. Are There any Reported Court Cases in Puerto Rico Regarding Homeschooling?

No. Although there are no court cases, existing law clearly permits any family to operate a non-governmental entity school in their home. Although there is no specific law in Puerto Rico that recognizes homeschooling or establishes any criteria for setting up a homeschool, homeschoolers can clearly meet the non-governmental entity exemption from public school attendance for children. At least 10 states have a similar situation in that homeschoolers operate as private schools since there is no specific statute or law defining homeschooling in those states or establishing the requirements thereof.

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/pr/FAQeng.asp

Philhelm
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Shouldn't it be, "Take your kids to jail or else they will go to school?"

Pericles
07-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Shouldn't it be, "Take your kids to jail or else they will go to school?"

Difficult choice - I'll take revolution for $1000 Alex.

DamianTV
07-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Difficult choice - I'll take revolution for $1000 Alex.

This. The only alternative is to allow your children to be taught the Language of Slaves: Govt Dependancy.

The dependant and complacent do not revolt.